• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Door2Dawn said:
.. So beta?

Blizzcon is at the end of October. If they're not out of Beta by then, I'd be very surprised. Much more likely; November launch with Blizzcon being a sneak preview. So, basically... open Beta if you're willing to pay the price of admission (Blizzcon 09 was $125).

I really hope not though. I can't see any events, patches, or stealthed-in content coming close to keeping my attention until No-fucking-vember. I'm hoping for a mid-to-late summer release.

arhra

They said (or at least implied*) during Blizzcon last year that Cataclysm would be out before the next Blizzcon. Assuming beta starts soon (which is almost certain), that'll give them a good 4-5 months of beta before a late summer launch prior to Blizzcon in October.

Also, given that Blizzcon is in October, there's literally no reason for them to be doing anything with servers related to it this far out. It's pretty obviously a mislabelled server (imho), but it's real purpose (and for that matter, whether it's meant to be in the PTR copy list, or if that's just another screwup) can only be speculated on.

* I think the comment was that one of the things they expected at the next Blizzcon was "lots of complaints about goblin rogues", or similar, implying that the Blizzcon attendees and population at large would have had a chance to experience them by that time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
:lol Guild on my server just did Death's Demise. They're so funny, they act all hard up and hardcore and yet they didn't do DD until now. :lol

Door2Dawn

Banned
Btw, there will be another Activision Blizzard First Quarter Calendar 2010 Results Conference Call on May 6th. The last conference call they revealed that SCII beta was starting by the end of February.

J-Rzez

Cata has to launch mid-late summer. They certainly can't release it in the holiday season like before. There's just no content to hold people over. ICC has burnt out a lot of players, Arena season can't drag on that long, and a mini-raid certainly won't keep people occupied beyond a handful of weeks.

If they are not planning on releasing Cata until Nov, I hope they tell us soon so I can temp cancel my account soon and save myself some money.

Hopefully I get into this beta like I did with Wrath though, that'd hold me over certainly for a little while. BTW - If someone here does get a beta code that are not planning on using it, this guy right here would appreciate it. I'm actually expecting the beta to be open a lot sooner than people think. I'm guessing May with 3 months of testing, mid-late August release.

Xabora

Cata should pop out before the next blizzcon.

Also Algalon 10 is really really easy in 264 gear.
I was offtanking the stars while only dpsing the boss, because the guy who should have been drawing them into the blackholes couldn't handle them. :lol

Lolligag

I swear I read somewhere that we should hear something about beta in April, I think something about getting invites, but this month is about to end soon. :(

I'm sure this was mentioned in the thread before. Last year's Blizzcon they said you should be sick of killing Rogue Goblins before the next one.

Narag

Entropia said:
:lol Guild on my server just did Death's Demise. They're so funny, they act all hard up and hardcore and yet they didn't do DD until now. :lol

I remember a guild on another server catching shit for not doing DD until a couple months back. Everyone talked a bunch of shit to them for not doing it until now and they simply brought up that they'd made no efforts to do so since Uld was relevant content, they'd given all the other guilds like 10 months to get around to it, and they were still the first to do so.

25 Man Lich King down!

We cleared the whole place in 2 nights. The tanking mace and agility polearm dropped.

It was pretty amazing how we went from gigantic defiles or fucking up on transitions to actually getting to phase 3 in the last 3 attempts of the night. We got it the second time we got to P3.

Tamanon

Banned
Lolligag said:
I swear I read somewhere that we should hear something about beta in April, I think something about getting invites, but this month is about to end soon. :(

I'm sure this was mentioned in the thread before. Last year's Blizzcon they said you should be sick of killing Rogue Goblins before the next one.

Media guys signed up for the beta already, it was MMO-Champ that predicted April for the Beta, but he rescinded it today.

FLEABttn

Banned
Evlar said:
I agree- it's going to be November.

There's no way. They next content patch is basically OS and taking back Gnomer. There's no way that's going to hold people over to November.

I'm calling a late August or September release.

I'm calling Starcraft for June then August/September for Cataclysm. Press invites for the beta have gone out so I'm anticipating that the Cata beta will start right around when the SC2 beta finishes.

J-Rzez

WyndhamPrice said:
I'm calling Starcraft for June then August/September for Cataclysm. Press invites for the beta have gone out so I'm anticipating that the Cata beta will start right around when the SC2 beta finishes.

Is this true that the press invites went out? I thought they didn't yet?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sebulon3k said:
I've been doing ICC for 6 weeks now, 25 and 10.

Seen only 4 tank drops from bosses, FML.
Given that tanking can make or break things, I'm somewhat surprised that the rate for tank drops isn't ever so slightly higher. We've never seen a drop of that 251 mace off of Marrowgar, and that's with a kill a week. It's ridiculous.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Angry Grimace said:
Given that tanking can make or break things, I'm somewhat surprised that the rate for tank drops isn't ever so slightly higher. We've never seen a drop of that 251 mace off of Marrowgar, and that's with a kill a week. It's ridiculous.

Tanks have the lowest representation though, only 3 main specced tanks in a raid. If they had a higher droprate by design people would get pissed and it'd be DE'd faster.

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
Wow, really? I think it's just bad luck. Both myself and our OT got that within our first few weeks of ICC.

Most of my tank gear as a Paladin is from badges, so I don't have to pray for drops.

moojito

My alt paladin picked up both the mace and shield in there on one run! Sometimes you get the lucky nights where everything drops at once.

I still remember a billion Illhoof kills without the squid on a stick dropping for my druid, so that kind of evens out.

JesseZao

I wish they would just make resilience gear in cata drop your damage/healing by 50% when not in arenas/BGs so I they wouldn't worry about how easy/fast it is to obtain. I only did arenas in BC up to season 3 before I got bored and didn't feel like grinding the ratings on my different characters. Since BC, I've been pretty casual and wish they would make pvp more of a skill only game by letting people pvpgearup fast. I don't really pvp much at all anymore and but the rated BGs are giving me hope.

Basically, I wish the pvp was less of a carrot chase and more of a play it how it's meant to be played and for the fun of it.

moojito

JesseZao said:
Basically, I wish the pvp was less of a carrot chase and more of a play it how it's meant to be played and for the fun of it.

I've always thought they should do more with the power ups you see in WSG and AB. They're generally ignored. If there were some crazy power ups in more places those BGs could be awesome.

Evlar

Banned
moojito said:
I've always thought they should do more with the power ups you see in WSG and AB. They're generally ignored. If there were some crazy power ups in more places those BGs could be awesome.
Eye of the Storm, too. I think it would help if they weren't obscured: If you could see that a particular buff had spawned as you ran past 50 yards away you might be more inclined to pick it up, or even spark a little fight over it. As it is you have to go out of your way to look because they're all partially or entirely inside structures, and half the time it's a buff you don't need (Health! Great! But I'm a healer...)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Wow, really? I think it's just bad luck. Both myself and our OT got that within our first few weeks of ICC.

Most of my tank gear as a Paladin is from badges, so I don't have to pray for drops.
It's just bad luck. We have 1029375109587091850918509185 Frost Needles

J-Rzez

JesseZao said:
I wish they would just make resilience gear in cata drop your damage/healing by 50% when not in arenas/BGs so I they wouldn't worry about how easy/fast it is to obtain. I only did arenas in BC up to season 3 before I got bored and didn't feel like grinding the ratings on my different characters. Since BC, I've been pretty casual and wish they would make pvp more of a skill only game by letting people pvpgearup fast. I don't really pvp much at all anymore and but the rated BGs are giving me hope.

Well, Cataclysm should hopefully remedy this problem a bit, not locking people out of gear, and letting it actually be a skill battle, not a battle of gear.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
J-Rzez said:
Like the hardcore 25man guilds, the hardcore Arena players are going to be miffed by these changes. The thing about PVP though is that it should be based more around your skill vs theirs. This doesn't happen now all the time due to superior items available to those who run the cookie cutter comps, or get carried.
J-Rzez said:
Well, Cataclysm should hopefully remedy this problem a bit, not locking people out of gear, and letting it actually be a skill battle, not a battle of gear.
So in PVP, the gear a person is wearing is the major deciding factor in whether they'll win? I don't have much experience in PVP so I wouldn't know. For PVE though I see most people saying gearscore means nothing in terms of how much success you'll have.

Angry Grimace

sykoex said:
So in PVP, the gear a person is wearing is the major deciding factor in whether they'll win? I don't have much experience in PVP so I wouldn't know. For PVE though I see most people saying gearscore means nothing in terms of how much success you'll have.
The way resilience works now? Absolutely.

Jrmint

Entropia said:
You on Whisperwind? I saw that too, and heard from my guild members they were all on Krasus Landing flaunting their shit. I mean it is cool and all, but getting that achievement like a year after Ulduar was released, with ICC gear, is really nothing to boast about.

I'm gonna have to agree with September/August release for Cata.

Sullen

Honestly arenas are annoying, but resilience is the real problem. God, my only wish in this game is for them to completely get rid of resilience, what a joke.

Evlar

Banned
Sullen said:
Honestly arenas are annoying, but resilience is the real problem. God, my only wish in this game is for them to completely get rid of resilience, what a joke.
Uhh, as a clothie healer, I would respectfully say "No". As long as DPS classes', err, DPS continues to overshadow health pools damage mitigation is pretty important.

Retro

Evlar said:
Uhh, as a clothie healer, I would respectfully say "No". As long as DPS classes', err, DPS continues to overshadow health pools damage mitigation is pretty important.

What we've heard of Cataclysm, non-plate armor is getting buffed across the board, Health pools are going up (except for tanks), DPS is going down. Resilience is starting to look more and more like a Band-aid rather than a viable concept at this point.

Alex

Health is going up, but no one really said anything about DPS going down, also we know that healing is going to be smaller relative to the health pools.

What will likely accumulate to a few percent of armor gain versus physical attacks versus sweeping, gigantic mitigation from all forms of damage and crit damage? Give me the bandaids, if you're a priest, you can likely put some more bandaids on because it won't be enough for Rated BGs! :p

I actually have no issue from the stat (and have honestly never heard anyone who isnt a crit based DPS class complain about it really :lol) but I do wish they made gearing for it less obnoxious. When the seasons roll over and you need a hojillion more honor points farmed for the off slots and whatnot, that's always annoying.

Like put people into a precanned set of faction gear with a few new, pvp only, item slots to customize PvP themed bonuses, like medals and whatnot. I've always wanted that. Makes more sense and allows people to earn more interesting prizes and unique quirks rather than just another set of gear. It should be about competition and fun frills.

Then you can just can any needed DPS reductions into a passive PvP aura. Or just not at all if you went precanned and tuned the numbers hard enough.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
J-Rzez said:
It'll be an epic day when Gearscores cross 9000.

I'm rooting for Blizzard to go the Super Mario route, and once the numbers get to high they're replaced by crown symbols and what not.

"LFM Minimum DPS Crown Triangle Left Turn Cherry. REPEAT, that is LEFT TURN! God help any of you that whisper with a right turn!!!"

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sullen said:

I also wish resilience didn’t exist on gear at all. I wish that PvP and PvE gear were equivalent but just with different looks and set bonuses, and that resilience was a buff that everyone got when entering an arena or battleground. So gear being greater than skill would still be an issue but you could acquire it by both PvP and PvE. It would just give the players so many more options of playing however they wanted to. And then load up raids and PvP vendors with more flavor or status items like mounts or tabards or pets or cool effect items or enchants. Give players something to grind and work towards, but just get rid of the two separate gear paths that are required to enjoy all aspects of the game. Make gear more of a “time” sink rather than a “path” sink.

Jrmint

sykoex said:
Wow this screenshot from tirisfal glades makes the mount drop from LK a lot cooler to me:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/ssotd/#1272

Wonder if that was in the game since vanilla or did they add it in later on?
I'm pretty sure the grave and the message were always there, it became empty during the scourge invasion event.

One of my favorite little lore snippets in the game is that snapshot.

Speaking of which, most of you probably know this, but those that don't I highly recommend it.

In the Ruins of Lordaeron area in UC, turn up your volume very loud and stand in the following places:
The little room before the hallway with the broken bell (you'll hear it ringing)
The following hallway (you'll hear cheers of Arthas coming home)
The throne room (you'll hear the interchange from WC3 when he kills Terenas).

Very cool stuff.

Retro

Skel said:
I'm pretty sure the grave and the message were always there, it became empty during the scourge invasion event.

One of my favorite little lore snippets in the game is that snapshot.

Speaking of which, most of you probably know this, but those that don't I highly recommend it.

In the Ruins of Lordaeron area in UC, turn up your volume very loud and stand in the following places:
The little room before the hallway with the broken bell (you'll hear it ringing)
The following hallway (you'll hear cheers of Arthas coming home)
The throne room (you'll hear the interchange from WC3 when he kills Terenas).

Very cool stuff.

You can actually see the little trail of blood the crown leaves after Arthas slays his father. It's tiny as shit, but it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom