• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had to do a clean install of Windows and need to reinstall WoW.

Can I just use my WotLK DVD or do I have to dig up the original and BC DVDs?

Also, how big of a total file size am I looking at to download patches?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Lamonster said:

WotLK DVD installs everything, but none of the patches.

The patches, mostly you can get from http://a.wirebrain.de/wow/

FLEABttn

Banned
Anyone else thinking this is the Blizzcon where we see their next MMO? It'll only have been been "in the works" for 4-5 years at that point.

MMO-Champion just found this little interesting thing on Battle.net:

box-cat.png

It's coming guys!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FLEABttn said:
Anyone else thinking this is the Blizzcon where we see their next MMO? It'll only have been been "in the works" for 4-5 years at that point.
I have my doubts they are wasting a lot of MMO resources anything other than WoW which essentially is floating the company is vast, vast amounts of profit.

Anything they've got in the works probably is deliberately being designed very slowly to be pushed the moment WoW jumps the shark.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
Finally!
Now heres to hoping I get an invite early on. D:

2woi2bb.jpg
You were in the Wrath Beta, correct?

How does that all work? Just get your own character copied to a "test realm?" Start a new char?

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
You were in the Wrath Beta, correct?

How does that all work? Just get your own character copied to a "test realm?" Start a new char?
I was in the Wrath Beta because someone was kind enough to toss me one early. :D

When your account becomes flagged for the Beta, you can then copy over an existing character, or make a new one.
You have as many character slots as you do in live. However you only have a limited number of existing character copies.

Late in Wrath they allowed you to copy over a premade character for endgame testing with PVP Gear on.

moojito

Do you have to make a copy of your entire wow directory, or does the new content just go into a folder of its own? I've never bothered with the ptr before, but I might this time round.

moojito said:
Do you have to make a copy of your entire wow directory, or does the new content just go into a folder of its own? I've never bothered with the ptr before, but I might this time round.

You have to install an executable that copies your World of Warcraft Installation and creates a brand new folder for it to install all the beta/PTR stuff.

Xabora

moojito said:
You just need the Beta client they will give you, that pretty much copies files from your existing wow client, runs a crc check on most files and copies it over into the new MPQ layout.

Jrmint

HarryDemeanor said:
MMO-Champion just found this little interesting thing on Battle.net:

box-cat.png

It's coming guys!
Man I can't wait, I really hope it comes out in the next couple weeks so we can expect the game by at least early fall.

I don't plan to play in the beta, but I can't wait to read all the coverage.

mclem

I'm alliance, so don't have a point of reference; how does Brill look normally? Or is that really just showing off the undead character model?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
mclem said:
I'm alliance, so don't have a point of reference; how does Brill look normally? Or is that really just showing off the undead character model?
Old Brill buildings/structures were basically like Goldshire/Lakeshire, but really drab and gray. Now it looks to be more colorful and reminiscent of Northrend Undead architecture.

Tamanon

Banned
The Blasted Lands was one of the places that could use a facelift the most, glad to see it. Not many quests, not much in the way of lore, and it looks boring too. New one looks at least interesting.

Also I didn't see this posted in this thread yet but Zarhym was nice enough to give us some insight on the developers fixing server faction imbalance in Wintergrasp and the upcoming Tol Barad PVP zone in Cataclysm:

Zarhym said:
Population Balancing
Keep in mind Tol Barad is still deep in development, but we do have plans to implement more stringent faction balancing measures than those which exist for Wintergrasp today. We want to have the queue system try to create a battle with as close to a 1:1 team ratio as possible. In other words, if 40 Horde and 150 Alliance players are in the queue, it's going to make the battle somewhere close to 40 vs. 40. There will be a maximum cap of players allowed on each side as there is with Wintergrasp, but there will also be a minimum cap as well. Since the system will be looking for a 1:1 team ratio, the minimum cap will be designed to ensure a battle can't be thrown by a faction if no one shows up. So, say if the minimum cap is 25, there is a chance the battle could be 25 vs. 5.

Because of this new design, it'll be much more beneficial to play on a realm where the faction balance is roughly equivalent rather than seeking a realm where your faction dominates. For this reason we'll continue to monitor faction balance on all realms and work to ensure players enjoy the best gaming experience possible.

[...] Right now the issue with Wintergrasp is it actually encourages the behavior of selecting a realm where your faction dominates. If the reverse becomes true for Tol Barad, that only serves to help improve faction balance rather than further impact it. In Cataclysm it will be more beneficial to be on a realm where your faction is underpopulated (which will lead to a natural trend of balancing out the population), or be on a high-population realm where the maximum Tol Barad cap is reached, or close to reached for each battle.

I hate to ask, but would you explain again how the maximum and minimum caps work, or shall I say how you think they are going to work? I'm a bit confused. :x

The maximum cap will essentially work the same as it does in Wintergrasp. If there are hundreds of players in the queue for Tol Barad on both sides, the system is not going to overcrowd the zone and make it unplayable. It will create an even match with up to a certain number of players on each side.

The minimum cap is intended to prevent griefing from factions which are extremely underpopulated. For example, if it's 3 in the morning and the Alliance have a very low population on a realm, a single Alliance guild could decide to boycott Tol Barad. If there were no minimum cap with the 1:1 ratio queuing system, this could lead to a situation where Tol Barad ends up being a, say, 3 vs. 3 battle leaving many Horde players locked out. So if we set the minimum cap to 25, it means in this scenario that it would be 3 Alliance vs. 25 Horde. In other words, the underpopulated faction on an imbalanced realm can't fully dictate the battle size of Tol Barad all the way down to 0 participants on either side.

Does this apply to Wintergrasp too?

I just got word that we are planning on implementing this new balancing mechanism for Wintergrasp sometimes shortly after the next Wrath of the Lich King minor content patch. So you'll get a chance to see it in action and provide us with feedback prior to the launch of Cataclysm!

So in cliff note form: With the minimum cap is 25, if 25 Horde que and 150 alliance que, the battle will be 25 vs 25.
And if 25 Horde que, and 10 alliance que, will it then just 10 v 10 or 25 v 10?

Your first example is correct. For your second example, the battle would be 25 Horde vs. 10 Alliance.

1) Will Tol'Barad flag players between battles on PvE servers? Please say yes!
2) Will flying mounts be disabled in the zone when the battle isn't taking place?

The current plan is for Tol Barad to function like Wintergrasp with regard to your questions. So it will be a PvP zone at all times and flight will be disabled once the battle begins.

J-Rzez

HarryDemeanor said:
Also I didn't see this posted in this thread yet but Zarhym was nice enough to give us some insight on the developers fixing server faction imbalance in Wintergrasp and the upcoming Tol Barad PVP zone in Cataclysm:

Yeah, and it's all fucking bullshit. Too bad if the other side doesn't want to show up for a battle. Too bad if there's not as many players on said faction. Brilliant of them to think it'd be cool to punish those that show up that they might not get into the battle. They make some great changes then they break the streak of course.

Fix the population balances by offering free transfers to people of said faction where they're in massive numbers over the other side. But even then that doesn't fix that for example on my realm, the alliance suck horribly at PVE and PVP, and don't show up for WG because they know they'll get rocked. I can't remember the last time they didn't have 20 tenacity in there for the 6 of them that would show up, and we have to duel with siege engines to get the weeklies done.

I hope they wisen up.

J-Rzez said:
Brilliant of them to think it'd be cool to punish those that show up that they might not get into the battle.

This is the one thing that really bothered me while reading it. It doesn't make sense to make a certain number of people sit out of a battle just because one side doesn't meet the minimal amount of players.

Perhaps Blizzard can offer an extra incentive such as bonus marks or conquest points to get people into those Wintergrasp battles? I'm not sure what else they could actually do other than provide a benefit like Tenacity to help one side fight off a huge imbalance like that without making it game breaking. As you said, free transfers do not seem to help either.

mileS

The Lamonster said:

Can't you just download everything off your account page? I think I remember doing that last time.

CassSept

Holy shit, these new screen make me want to return to WoW sooo hard. Blasted Lands look incredible, even if it's only the new Tainted Scar. Original BL was one of worst zones in the whole game, in every single aspect (apart from lore)

Dina

As for Brill, Brill doesn't have a wall. It's a very small over-run town. This looks to be much better. Then again, maybe Tirisfal Glades has been changed a lot.

Interfectum

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, and it's all fucking bullshit. Too bad if the other side doesn't want to show up for a battle. Too bad if there's not as many players on said faction. Brilliant of them to think it'd be cool to punish those that show up that they might not get into the battle. They make some great changes then they break the streak of course.

Fix the population balances by offering free transfers to people of said faction where they're in massive numbers over the other side. But even then that doesn't fix that for example on my realm, the alliance suck horribly at PVE and PVP, and don't show up for WG because they know they'll get rocked. I can't remember the last time they didn't have 20 tenacity in there for the 6 of them that would show up, and we have to duel with siege engines to get the weeklies done.

I hope they wisen up.

Uh this is a smart way to fix the problem.

Oh shattered hand alliance has WG maybe 5% of the time (if that). There is no population inbalance on the server, alliance either doesn't give a fuck or sucks ass at PvP. I try to show up for every WG battle there is when I'm online but when I see I'm maybe one of ten while horde is 100 strong, I stay for a few, get facerolled for a few and leave.

I'm sorry if horde is going to miss facerolling 10 alliance players over and over again but this is the only way to fix WG in it's current state.

Retro

Dina said:
As for Brill, Brill doesn't have a wall. It's a very small over-run town. This looks to be much better. Then again, maybe Tirisfal Glades has been changed a lot.

From a LoLore point of view, the scourge is waning; Bolivar is basically keeping them completely passive, and perhaps even retreating. That opens the Plaguelands up for redevelopment. The Alliance doesn't really have any footholds in the region beyond Aerie Peak and Chillwind Camp. I'm thinking come Cataclysm, Andorhal will be reclaimed (at least in part).

That and the Battle for Undercity probably has the Forsaken on full alert. I'd be very surprised if the Bulwark remains a ramshackle wall of junk, or Tirisfal doesn't get some additional defenses at the Silverpine border. I'm thinking big ass walls and gatehouses at both borders, to keep Tirisfal secure. It makes sense for Brill to gain some additional defenses too.

After all, Gilneas will be open and that's an enemy practically on their doorstep. From what we've seen of the Worgen starting area, the Forsaken are on the offensive in a big way.

The Sepulcher will probably be fortified as well. Or abandoned. Here's hoping Blizzard actually sat down and said "Alright, the world needs to be updated to match the last 5 year's events."

notworksafe

sykoex said:
That elven statue on the right kinda makes me doubt that's Brill actually.
Why not? Sylvanis was an Elf, and she's still cool with the Elves. Not to mention the Zeppelins in the background.

Rapstah

I don't think the picture's screenshot in Brill, those elven towers behind the zeppelin tower aren't there now from that angle (I think? Was years since I set foot in Brill).

Rapstah said:
I don't think the picture's screenshot in Brill, those elven towers behind the zeppelin tower aren't there now from that angle (I think? Was years since I set foot in Brill).

That's the Undercity. They're finally showing the entire thing since we can fly in Azeroth.

J-Rzez

Interfectum said:
Uh this is a smart way to fix the problem.

Oh shattered hand alliance has WG maybe 5% of the time (if that). There is no population inbalance on the server, alliance either doesn't give a fuck or sucks ass at PvP. I try to show up for every WG battle there is when I'm online but when I see I'm maybe one of ten while horde is 100 strong, I stay for a few, get facerolled for a few and leave.

I'm sorry if horde is going to miss facerolling 10 alliance players over and over again but this is the only way to fix WG in it's current state.

Considering that we're on each end of the spectrum here, it's going to be hard to convince either of us this is for the better/worse. Sure, you may have slightly better odds now, but why punish people who show up for world PVP like they do? There's already times on my server where it's full and that annoys me. Let alone when the new zone will be 25 on 8 alliance and it won't let the other 50+ people waiting in. It's bullshit. It's not a bg, it's a realm event and thus it should be no holds barred.

I'm sorry if this benefits you, and the 7 others, but it shouldn't punish the 80 other people because your realm has a pop problem, or they just don't care about it. If you guys don't care about it, then that's your problem. Go to a different realm then, or faction change. This is hurting FAR more people than it's going to help.

Brilliant idea to punish those paying customers who are dedicated enough to at least show their faces. It's probably one of the most retarded ideas Blizzard has ever had.

Rapstah

Is there a limit to how many stacks Tenacity goes to with really few people in WG? If you were the only person on your side in WG versus 100 Horde players, would you turn into a raid boss HP-wise?

J-Rzez

Rapstah said:
Is there a limit to how many stacks Tenacity goes to with really few people in WG? If you were the only person on your side in WG versus 100 Horde players, would you turn into a raid boss HP-wise?

20 stacks is the max.

arhra

I'm sorry if this benefits you, and the 7 others, but it shouldn't punish the 80 other people because your realm has a pop problem, or they just don't care about it. If you guys don't care about it, then that's your problem. Go to a different realm then, or faction change. This is hurting FAR more people than it's going to help.
So your suggested solution to faction imbalance problems is to... make the faction imbalance worse?

mileS

Rapstah said:
That's still a lot, though, hm... 18% per stack would mean a 360% increase...

So basically 400 000 HP at most for a monster ultra-HP tank then.

I remember seeing a druid in bear form with 518,000 hp and that was about 5 months ago. Haven't seen much come close to that yet.

Retro

jim-jam bongs said:
To be honest I think that they should just stop locking a raid based on the outcome of PvP, but I'm a whiny casual like that.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the Cataclysm version of Wintergrasp, Tol Barad, won't have a raid associated with it, just dailies. Whoever controls the island has access to extra dailies with better rewards, according to wowwiki. The article also mentioned that the island is now used as a 'magical prison'... which sounds like a perfect way to set up small, individually sized rooms for raids... so... yeah. If they don't do that, they're missing the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom