• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

jim-jam bongs said:
Hang about, Zul'Gurub is mapped properly there, as though it's a regular outdoor zone rather than an instance.
Always been that way. And it's not the only one - for example Zul'Farrak has always been available from the world map. If you can walljump to it, you would be in the instance, but without any mobs. All the outdoor instances has always been like that afaik, though I'm not entirely sure about Zul'Aman.

Tacitus_

Door2Dawn said:
No it isn't

You can opt in to Starcraft universe, Warcraft universe and Diablo universe beta testing on battle.net account management. All three came up in last.. autumn I think?

e8riud.png

Doesn't mean they're sending out invites.

mclem

Belfast said:
When you see it, you'll shit bricks.

Deeprun Tram finally *really* goes underwater!

Most interestingly, actually, I note that it looks like the Blood Elf areas are still segregated into a separate 'instance'. Using the term very loosely there.

mclem

ZombieSupaStar said:
those look awful wtf, the new models look like. .... they have no depth to their textures anymore... .ick

The textures definitely look placeholder, but it's the model themselves that are the important bit.

Retro

mclem said:
Deeprun Tram finally *really* goes underwater!

Most interestingly, actually, I note that it looks like the Blood Elf areas are still segregated into a separate 'instance'. Using the term very loosely there.

And it looks like they're trying to integrate Stratholme into the map's space.

Interfectum

why does every youtube video have to have some bullshit metal band blasting in the background... how does that even fit with a Naga spinning around? :lol

Rapstah

1e867k.jpg

Interesting, looks like the southern island in Feralas is completely submerged. Doesn't really surprise me as its only purpose was for some level 60 epic raid quest, but hey.

Flib

keeblerdrow said:
I tried it for the first time since BC tonight. You know what? I was bored out of my mind.

Sure, it's mindless, but it's a nice change from being rune starved on my dk tank. Really want to level a warrior and pally now, enjoying tanking a ton.

Acidote

They're at the same place, but they're redone inside, and the entrance to the AH has been changed so now it's right in front of the bank entrance.

FLEABttn

Banned
Acidote said:
They're at the same place, but they're redone inside, and the entrance to the AH has been changed so now it's right in front of the bank entrance.

It's an interesting change in that I'm not sure it's really any better than it used to be. Slightly more convenient maybe but it never screamed to me to begin with "change me!".

Interfectum

it was AV BG weekend last weekend which, in case you didn't know, is like free XP for leveling characters.

I took my rogue from 51->69 in two days in AV. :lol I believe the XP buff doesn't end until tonight though so if you have any 51+ alts, get them in AV.

firex

CassSept said:
Awesome! I hope nothing changes because
Garrosh is such a bad, whiny character. The sooner Vol'jin kills him the better! And this proves once again that trolls are an awesome race. I have to roll one come Cataclysm

Btw, about troll locks - I'm not sure if it wasn't a bug cause from what I've seen you can't roll a troll DK on alpha.
They can turn off creating a DK though. Or, if they're just letting people test with new characters, nobody has a level 55 to create DKs on their alpha account.

Evlar

Banned
FLEABttn said:
It's an interesting change in that I'm not sure it's really any better than it used to be. Slightly more convenient maybe but it never screamed to me to begin with "change me!".
Probably more for new players than anything. Stormwind gets more first characters than any other city, I believe. The entrance to the Auction House as it is now is rather non-descript.

Seeing those big maps makes me miss how vanilla dungeons actually had "real world" locations corresponding to them, even TBC to some extent, though we must've been magically hit with a shrink ray upon entering TK and BT =P

ZG is there, AQ is there, (on the Cata map they've actually added the full uninstanced AQ20/40 down there as opposed to the broken mess of unfinished terrain occupying it presently).

Anyway, here's an awesome hackjob I made of Ulduar, shamelessly stealing other people's maps from Google image search. This always bugged me, but it's fun to see it on a map =D

Northrend

Northrend + Ulduar

EDIT - I guess it could employ the same cloaking field that Uldum was shrouded by until the Cataclysm hit... or something!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Retro said:
And it looks like they're trying to integrate Stratholme into the map's space.

I think they're getting all the outside instances intergrated into the map better. ZG has some huge walls for some reason.

I wonder how restricted the access for flying mounts is going to be, a lot of zones that have changes aren't as extensive as I thought they were going to be, you can jimmy your way around and there are still a lot of blank spaces, even in zones that look 'finished'.

But then again, Twilight Highlands looks pretty complete with some random huts that are missing textures, but if you take a closer look the terrain hasn't been smoothed out and perfected yet. So who knows?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sax Russel said:
Seeing those big maps makes me miss how vanilla dungeons actually had "real world" locations corresponding to them, even TBC to some extent, though we must've been magically hit with a shrink ray upon entering TK and BT =P
Which dungeons dont have real world locations? Outside of CoT i cant really think of any. Maybe im just not understanding what you are saying.

CassSept

water_wendi said:
Which dungeons dont have real world locations? Outside of CoT i cant really think of any. Maybe im just not understanding what you are saying.
I don't know what he exactly meant, but for example Ulduar had always bothered me since I first stepped into it.
You enter into huge building and appeared... outside?
OS and Malygos didn't have an actual place so to speak and Naxx was just a floating necropolis.
In previous expansions most of raids had actual location in the world that somehow corresponded to their actual appearance, design. In WotLK the only one that really did it was... ICC?

He's saying how the sense of scale once inside these dungeons don't match up with the exterior views. Ulduar being a classic example as CassSept noted.

Evlar

Banned
CassSept said:
I don't know what he exactly meant, but for example Ulduar had always bothered me since I first stepped into it.
You enter into huge building and appeared... outside?
OS and Malygos didn't have an actual place so to speak and Naxx was just a floating necropolis.
In previous expansions most of raids had actual location in the world that somehow corresponded to their actual appearance, design. In WotLK the only one that really did it was... ICC?
ToC lined up pretty well, and the WotLK instances in general are pretty good about this, starting with UK and its rather impressive instanced view of Howling Fjord. I don't see how Ulduar is that much worse than, say, UBRS. There's no way in hell that instance fits inside the world map mountain.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Interfectum said:
why does every youtube video have to have some bullshit metal band blasting in the background... how does that even fit with a Naga spinning around? :lol

It's either that or Eurodance. Pick your poison! :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FLEABttn said:
Eurodance/trance please.

Even if you don't like it, it doesn't start out with screaming or thrashing guitars.
Game-sound.

Or Silence. :lol

CassSept

Evlar said:
ToC lined up pretty well, and the WotLK instances in general are pretty good about this, starting with UK and its rather impressive instanced view of Howling Fjord. I don't see how Ulduar is that much worse than, say, UBRS. There's no way in hell that instance fits inside the world map mountain.
But otherwise than that, ToC was a ONE single goddamn room. And the instance sucked shit and was incredibly boring. It was there just as an excuse for easy loot farming before ICC.

UK was very impressive, kinda a letdown how they didn't do absolutely anything to it. UK raid would be so so so better than ToC.

Overall I feel that WotLK has been a letdown. Sure, it improved on many things, but compared to the sheer potential that the whole expansion feels disappointing. Azjol, UK, Chamber of Aspects and so on. The 'surprise 3.2 raid' instance that they didn't get around to doing (and don't tell me it was ToC, I'm sure they planned something else than a ONE-ROOM-RAID). Raiding content was pretty measly - only two new 'real' raid instances. And constant playing with hard modes, gating, limited attempts - it was more like a playground before Cata.

I really do hope that Cata will be a better expansion content-wise. Aaand that it will flesh out the story better than WotLK did with multiple unfinished plotlines.

Interfectum

sykoex said:
They added an extra Bank and Auction house in the Dwarven district, near the deeprun tram, for some reason.

ugh, dwarf filth slowly taking over stormwind. maybe humans can relocate to goldshire.

Dexa

Banned
must --- resist --- temptation :D

with this whole old world remodel bliz forces me to play this. and i´ve managed to stay away from wotlk completely ... damn you bliz!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CassSept said:
But otherwise than that, ToC was a ONE single goddamn room. And the instance sucked shit and was incredibly boring. It was there just as an excuse for easy loot farming before ICC.

UK was very impressive, kinda a letdown how they didn't do absolutely anything to it. UK raid would be so so so better than ToC.

Overall I feel that WotLK has been a letdown. Sure, it improved on many things, but compared to the sheer potential that the whole expansion feels disappointing. Azjol, UK, Chamber of Aspects and so on. The 'surprise 3.2 raid' instance that they didn't get around to doing (and don't tell me it was ToC, I'm sure they planned something else than a ONE-ROOM-RAID). Raiding content was pretty measly - only two new 'real' raid instances. And constant playing with hard modes, gating, limited attempts - it was more like a playground before Cata.

I really do hope that Cata will be a better expansion content-wise. Aaand that it will flesh out the story better than WotLK did with multiple unfinished plotlines.
Ulduar was an awesome raid.

But really, my problem with WotLK is that I don't like the idea of 3 MEGA raids plus 1 shot bosses. That sucks.

IMO: What would have been better is;

Blizzard shouldn't have counted the retooled Naxxramas as some "new" raid, since all they really did was retune the bosses and add 0 new assets.

There should have been a Zul'Drak raid of 4-5 bosses (the Drakkari follow someone named "Frost King Malakk", plus those Primal Animal spirits that are seen around Zul'drak; we saw none of those other than some stuff in Gun'drak)

There should have been an Utgarde raid with Ymiron at the end, and more about those Ymirjar/Val'kyr dudes who just ended up being random fodder. You could have even done that sort of like Grull's Lair, 2 bosses; that Val'kyr that ressurects Ingvar at the end of UK + Ymiron.

Azjol-Nerub should have been a raid instance and completely replaced ToC. Sorry, ToC fucking sucked and made no sense and was a huge waste of time both game and Lore wise. Tirion leading an expedition into the Nerubian caverns to find a back route into the fortified Icecrown Citadel would have been epic and made a lot more sense than, "the door just opened in November of 2009 for no apparent reason."

You aren't kidding that they wasted a shitload of lore and resources in Wrath. It's pretty sad when you think that we essentially got 2 fully fleshed out raids, and frankly both were so long and involved that they caused burnout so much faster.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Interfectum said:
ugh, dwarf filth slowly taking over stormwind. maybe humans can relocate to goldshire.
I'm wondering if the dwarven district will be changed to the worgen area, since the dwarves have IF anyway. Either that, or the version of the destroyed park we see now in the alpha is just phased, and after you complete a quest or something it turns into the worgen area.

Rapstah

Angry Grimace said:
There should have been an Utgarde raid with Ymiron at the end, and more about those Ymirjar/Val'kyr dudes who just ended up being random fodder. You could have even done that sort of like Grull's Lair, 2 bosses; that Val'kyr that ressurects Ingvar at the end of UK + Ymiron.
Fuck that one, you can't just have a random elite Val'Kyr with boss-level HP appear, teasing the group at the end of an instance and then never have her show up again.

Pretty much what the other guys have said. Yeah BRS/BWL is a bit of a stretch, but at least it's all "supposed" to be in there, in that mountain. Ulduar was like... "OK here's the entrance, but don't fly around to look behind it, cause that mile long expanse of Titan architecture in the mountains? Yeah it's not really there."

A lot of dungeons are underground, so that's usually a free ride, but places like Pit of Saron, DTK, and especially Ulduar are kind of jarring in their disconnect from the game map. Most dungeons inside buildings suffer from the same thing. Karazhan, Hellfire Citadel, Black Temple, every Tempest Keep 5 man + raid, ICC itself (Gunship platform? Sindragosa? And man when they updated the model in 3.3 they could've at least actually put the Frozen Throne up there). I realize it isn't a reasonable expectation to have everything be exactly to scale everywhere, design phases of world/dungeons being so separate, it's just something that bugs me sometimes.

Angry Grimace

Sax Russel said:
Pretty much what the other guys have said. Yeah BRS/BWL is a bit of a stretch, but at least it's all "supposed" to be in there, in that mountain. Ulduar was like... "OK here's the entrance, but don't fly around to look behind it, cause that mile long expanse of Titan architecture in the mountains? Yeah it's not really there."

A lot of dungeons are underground, so that's usually a free ride, but places like Pit of Saron, DTK, and especially Ulduar are kind of jarring in their disconnect from the game map. Most dungeons inside buildings suffer from the same thing. Karazhan, Hellfire Citadel, Black Temple, every Tempest Keep 5 man + raid, ICC itself (Gunship platform? Sindragosa? And man when they updated the model in 3.3 they could've at least actually put the Frozen Throne up there). I realize it isn't a reasonable expectation to have everything be exactly to scale everywhere, design phases of world/dungeons being so separate, it's just something that bugs me sometimes.
I wouldn't expect it to get better rather than worse with Dungeon Finder all but replacing actually having to go anywhere

J-Rzez

Wow. The weapon models listed as a whole on MMO champ today. Probably the lowest quality weapon art I've seen from this game to date. They are really disappointing. Here I remember them saying they were going to put more effort into weapon and armor style, guess the art team didn't get the memo.

They're just so, boring looking, so bland.

arhra

Angry Grimace said:
I wouldn't expect it to get better rather than worse with Dungeon Finder all but replacing actually having to go anywhere
You'll have to actually find the dungeon entrance in the world before you can queue for it in Cataclysm.

People will still have no fucking clue how to get back when they wipe :(

Angry Grimace

arhra said:
You'll have to actually find the dungeon entrance in the world before you can queue for it in Cataclysm.

People will still have no fucking clue how to get back when they wipe :(
Yeah, once.

J-Rzez said:
Wow. The weapon models listed as a whole on MMO champ today. Probably the lowest quality weapon art I've seen from this game to date. They are really disappointing. Here I remember them saying they were going to put more effort into weapon and armor style, guess the art team didn't get the memo.

They're just so, boring looking, so bland.
If you actually thought Rogues would look like they are wearing leather and Mages in cloth, you were mistaken.

Everyone will continue to have monster sized shoulders and appear to be wearing colorful plate armor regardless of class.

WTB Robes that look like robes without giant plate-armor shoulderpads.

Jin

Rapstah said:
Fuck that one, you can't just have a random elite Val'Kyr with boss-level HP appear, teasing the group at the end of an instance and then never have her show up again.

Didn't she show up in UP? I think she's the first boss.

But anyways I agree. They should have built the Ymiron up to something better than we have right now. When T10 (for warriors) came out I was scratching my head wondering who the hell Ymiron was.

Angry Grimace

Hadoken said:
Didn't she show up in UP? I think she's the first boss.

But anyways I agree. They should have built the Ymiron up to something better than we have right now. When T10 (for warriors) came out I was scratching my head wondering who the hell Ymiron was.
That was Svalna Sorrowgrave. The Valk'yr in UK was "Annhylde the Caller." She never appeared again.

The Vrykul have like a little caste if you read the quest text:

Male Vrykul turn into Vargul (the zombie looking Vrykul) and the Ymijar (which still look humanoid.) Vargul are the "failures" and and Ymirjar are "successful." I guess it's a bit like the different between Death Knights and ghouls.

The females apparently turn into Val'kyr since they showed the LK turning Svala Sorrowgrave into one.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Angry Grimace said:
not really. they've already said that you will have to "discover" the dungeon to be able to use DF with it. beyond that though, there's not really much nostalgia about having to trek from wherever the f' I was parked to get to BRM every day or so for raid night for a couple years straight (first MC, then BWL).. hell, anything memorable from any given night really would have never happened until I zoned in.

Angry Grimace said:
If you actually thought Rogues would look like they are wearing leather and Mages in cloth, you were mistaken.

Everyone will continue to have monster sized shoulders and appear to be wearing colorful plate armor regardless of class.

to be fair to Blizzard, if they actually made "epic looking robes and leather", we'd get umm.... boring looking armor. :p Not saying there isn't a compromise between rainbows/unicorns/spaulders and era appropriate gear.. but hell knows I wouldn't want to be the artist in charge of discovering it. :p

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
Y

That's really not my complaint. My complaint is the stuff just looks so elementary in style. Those new weapons are so bland. They look like they should be green quest rewards. I want stuff that looks more like weapons, something worth raiding for. Not something that 7yr kids would make out of a cardboard box with markers.

I hope this isn't the trend again, the whole theme being dragon wings and heads on the weapons.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just saw the weapon models and they arent anything special imo. Not like it will matter much because if things follow the Wotlk route theyll be replaced with something else in a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom