• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Tamanon said:
They kinda HAVE to do it that way, otherwise cutting edge raid gear from Wrath would be worn all the way through the first raid in Cataclysm.
This was a big issue with Wrath, when guilds were burning through Naxx in a matter of days because their Sunwell gear was still head-and-shoulders above what any regular Wrath questing and Heroic instance gear would do for you.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Evlar said:
This was a big issue with Wrath, when guilds were burning through Naxx in a matter of days because their Sunwell gear was still head-and-shoulders above what any regular Wrath questing and Heroic instance gear would do for you.

Yup. My T6 stuff was fairly better than a lot of what was available in heroics and early Naxx. :S

Also lololololololol at something i just read in game

Alex

The engine is very old and the tech no longer fancy, but I still absolutely adore the way WoW looks. Older areas and the older races (which need updating as they look almost out of place) are obvious blemishes but the newer designs from post-Vanilla especially moving forward to WOTLK and Cataclysm show a really tremendous aptitude for making a massive amount out of minor tweaks, heavy art design and general texture blending madness.

The whole aesthetic is just great, to me, and I find it fits amazingly well with the type of art they use and the huge, sprawling scope and pace of the game. As someone who is a little blah on how a lot of games are progressing in visual style, it's a nice mainstay.

Of course it'll be different for every person but for me all I really care about is the art direction, the image quality/resolution and technology to be of a competent enough level to do a full realization of the game world they're going for... and to mostly avoid normal mapping. I am really, really sick of normal mapping.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
HarryDemeanor said:
Looking good. Seems like they're hitting just about everything with new models. Wonder if they're going to give the elementals an upgrade.

Yet, they're still ignoring the models that needs upgrades the most : classic playable races.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
9ut6cx.jpg

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/78935/horatios-sunglasses/

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/78922/summon-goblin-nurse/ lol

J-Rzez

LMAO... Horatio Laine! :D

I don't like the running animation for the worgen, but I'll be damned if that transformation isn't awesome with the black worgen spirit rising up.

I'm glad they're changing the gear so drastically, sucks I'm going to lose all my stuff I worked hard for, but it's the carrot on a stick for me. I won't feel like heroics are a waste of my time.

J-Rzez said:
I'm glad they're changing the gear so drastically, sucks I'm going to lose all my stuff I worked hard for, but it's the carrot on a stick for me. I won't feel like heroics are a waste of my time.

I'm glad I didn't listen to the ravings of a friend who was convinced that T10 would carry us through the first raid tier. My server has been a hell for raiding guilds in the past several months.

Akim

Banned
Freyjadour said:
I'm glad I didn't listen to the ravings of a friend who was convinced that T10 would carry us through the first raid tier. My server has been a hell for raiding guilds in the past several months.

ya never know, they might revamp everything like when they added spell power and healing power

Alex said:
The engine is very old and the tech no longer fancy, but I still absolutely adore the way WoW looks.

Same here. Some of the particle and shadow systems could do with optimisation but with the settings bumped up to ultra the art and overall image quality more than makes up for the other deficiencies for me.

J-Rzez

Akim said:
ya never know, they might revamp everything like when they added spell power and healing power

They said they're not changing old gear. It'd be too hard to adjust stats and add "mastery" to the mix.

Freyjadour said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's been hell. Even my server has been falling apart with drama in 25man guilds that never really liked each other in the first place, that the gear is going to be the same in 10 and 25 man now. Considering I just pug into 25's when bored now, and we're a hardcore 10man guild, I welcome these changes :p

I'm sure Shadowmourne will hold it's own through 85 at least. If it doesn't though, lol that sucks.

FLEABttn

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I'm sure Shadowmourne will hold it's own through 85 at least. If it doesn't though, lol that sucks.

People on FoH have been bitching about it looking to be replaceable by around 83 or so. Which you could argue sucks because it was a lot of work to get. On the other hand, how many people are ever going to have that thing? I've yet to get a legendary and I'd be excited to even have an old one at this point.

J-Rzez

FLEABttn said:
People on FoH have been bitching about it looking to be replaceable by around 83 or so. Which you could argue sucks because it was a lot of work to get. On the other hand, how many people are ever going to have that thing? I've yet to get a legendary and I'd be excited to even have an old one at this point.

Yeah, I'm half and half on it. I mean, it is a ton of work to get it, so I'd be pissed if it got replaced by quest rewards in that range, so I feel for those who have it. But like you said, not many do have it, and it's just cool to have. I don't know, I don't have it, but I do feel for those people.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
HixxSAFC said:
Looking at the time he posted, a pic from the actual Alpha with player names etc was released showing a piece of loot with a horrendous amount of Stamina on around the same time. Reason it was deleted was that if any Blizzard employee sees it they will get chucked out of the alpha so fast :lol
Huh?

I cropped that picture myself in MS paint because the one I have on my hard drive had all the character names and I figured it was possible someone could get banned for it.

I don't remember where I got it other than it was someone's private gallery of photos that someone on Steam sent me.

Sciz

FLEABttn said:
On the other hand, how many people are ever going to have that thing? I've yet to get a legendary and I'd be excited to even have an old one at this point.
It looks kind of silly on draenei and 2H enhancement doesn't work any more, but I still plan to break out Sulfuras whenever I run across Ragnaros in the Firelands.

Belfast

falastini said:
Haven't seen this posted yet, a possible spoiler convo with Garrosh.... might be fake, but it's fun either way.

Garrosh Hellscream: Don't talk back to me, troll. You know who was left in charge here. Have you not stopped to ask yourself why Thrall chose me instead of you?

Vol'Jin: Dere's no question why, Garrosh. He gave ya the title because he needed ta see once and for all if ya could overcome the pride and bloodlust dat have long run in ya family. I t'ink he did not expect de answer to be apparent so soon.

Garrosh Hellscream: You're lucky I don't gut you right here, whelp. You are foolish to think you can speak to your Warchief in such ways.

Vol'Jin: You're no Warchief of mine. Ya've not earned my respect, and I'll not see the Horde destroyed by ya thirst for war.

Garrosh Hellscream: And what exactly do you think that you are going to do about it? Your threats are hollow. Go slink away with the rest of your kind to the slums; I will endure your filth in my throne room no longer.

Vol'Jin: I know exactly what I am going to do about it, son of Hellscream. I will watch and wait as ya people slowly become aware of ya ineptitude. I will laugh as dey grow to despise ya as I do.

Vol'Jin: And when da time comes dat ya failure is complete and ya "power" is meaningless, I will be dere to end ya rule swiftly and silently.

Vol'Jin: Ya will spend ya reign glancin' over ya shoulder and fearin' the shadows, for when da time comes and ya blood slowly drains out, ya will know exactly who fired da arrow dat pierced ya heart.

Garrosh Hellscream: You have sealed your fate, troll.

Garrosh spits at Vol'Jin.

Vol'Jin: And you yours, "Warchief."

ITT:
Trolls being awesome, as usual! I'm glad they're "kicked out of Orgrimmar" because Vol'Jin had the cojones to stand up against Garrosh instead of simply because he couldn't trust them, or he perceived them to be too weak.

falastini

Belfast said:
ITT:
Trolls being awesome, as usual! I'm glad they're "kicked out of Orgrimmar" because Vol'Jin had the cojones to stand up against Garrosh instead of simply because he couldn't trust them, or he perceived them to be too weak.
I'm glad they're making him more important. He was essentially the forgotten leader in the horde.

Btw can anybody in beta confirm the troll locks? I've been thinking about reviving my old lock and a troll would be perfect.

Also, I can't check right now, but apparently beta opt-ins are up.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Its a shame that its likely nothing different would come from the conflict thats going on in that conversation. Would be nice if Trolls werent welcome in Orgrimmar and Orcs with Senjin. Its doubtful Blizzard will do anything that is different after the Ghouls with the Scourge Invasion. Oh well.

VaLiancY

Belfast said:
ITT:

Oh how I love the trolls and my awesome Horde.

Alex

How long did the WOTLK F&F Alpha last? I don't recall it being up for a terribly large time before beta began, but maybe I'm remembering wrong?

itxaka

Defeatist
Hey guys, you all look to know a lot about commands and such. Is there any / commands to downgrade the graphics even more that what the normal options allow you?

Im travelling this week and I will bring my netbook with me, it has an intel 945g and I know it's not enough to run it on low settings so I was wondering if there was some "magic" to turn off different effects or reduce draw distance even more for example.

Thanks!

arhra

J-Rzez said:
They said they're not changing old gear. It'd be too hard to adjust stats and add "mastery" to the mix.
Not quite - they will be changing gear to reflect the new itemisation/stats system (no ap on agi gear, no spellpower, arpen gone and replaced with crit/haste, etc), in much the same way that they changed everything to ratings prior to TBC (and changed hunter gear to be agi+ap rather than straight agi due to hunters switching from 2RAP/agi to 1RAP/agi).

What they won't be doing is adding Mastery Rating to any non-Cataclysm gear.

Xabora

Alex said:
How long did the WOTLK F&F Alpha last? I don't recall it being up for a terribly large time before beta began, but maybe I'm remembering wrong?
Started in May, lasted until about Juneish, when it entered Closed Beta, then rolled into somewhat open in Midish July iirc.

Cipherr

Entropia said:
Correct. I have 1138 Haste which is 34.71%, as soon as I hit 81 the % dropped down to 24.37%

Gahaha wow at that dropoff. Its neccesary for sure, but damn hilarious anyway. Going to be one hell of a sustained dps loss when you level up in your first dungeon in cata. :lol

JesseZao

Flib said:
God I love bear tanking

inorite? it's so ez. I totally tank heroics in cat enchanted/gemmed gear.

I probably like pally tanking better overall though, but I only recently leveled my druid and my pally was my main in BC after shelving my vanilla lock.

Xabora

Puncture said:
Am I reading that chart right Xabora? Hit haste and stuff is getting MAJORLY inflated if so, meaning we will need alot more of it. Tons more even. Not completely unexpected as they have expressed they are sick and tired of us rocking 30% haste 60% crit and stuff by the end of the expansion, but still wow.
Yup, and each raid instance is going to have a different scale variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom