• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Arment said:
Been thinking about re-activating for a bit. Haven't played since Ulduar came out. Is there a server that GAF plays on primarily? Been on Mal'Ganis for a long time.
I was thinking about xfering there or Illadin alone to find a raiding guild. How easy would that be? I'm around 5100 GS tho :/

Arment

DeathNote said:
I was thinking about xfering there or Illadin alone to find a raiding guild. How easy would that be? I'm around 5100 GS tho :/

You got me. Mal'Ganis, when I left, was a very populated Horde biased server with tons of pugs and lots of raiding opportunity. Very elitist, but I think that's everywhere. I'm sure it's the same now. I don't even know my GS because my character won't even show up on the armory anymore.

Another question. I'm trying to figure out the best keyboard and mouse hand placement. Everyone seems to do something different and I feel inefficient.

Evlar said:
I'm not familiar with his toolbar mod, but if it labels hotkeys in the same manner as Bartender, the 'A1' would mean Alt-1, and 'S1' would mean Shift-1.
Makes sense lol

DarkJC said:
I used to be into creating fancy UIs but I got annoyed with them breaking after every major patch, especially after an expansion. Now I just stick to the vanilla UI with maybe a unit frames mod and then small ones like a damage/threat meter and cooldown count etc.
I'm a fan of just bartender only myself.

Arment said:
You got me. Mal'Ganis, when I left, was a very populated Horde biased server with tons of pugs and lots of raiding opportunity. Very elitist, but I think that's everywhere. I'm sure it's the same now. I don't even know my GS because my character won't even show up on the armory anymore.

You can get pugs for ICC, VOA, and ToC at any time of the day on Mal'Ganis. Just login and watch trade spam for 5 minutes. You're sure to find a raid you're interested in. If you're horde, anyway.

half a moon said:
Another question. I'm trying to figure out the best keyboard and mouse hand placement. Everyone seems to do something different and I feel inefficient.

The way I play is by keeping my fingers in WASD formation to move forward, strafe, and use abilities. I use my mouse to turn by holding down the right mouse button as it's quicker and easier. It just feels more comfortable for me.

HarryDemeanor said:
The way I play is by keeping my fingers in WASD formation to move forward, strafe, and use abilities. I use my mouse to turn by holding down the right mouse button as it's quicker and easier. It just feels more comfortable for me.
Sorry for being nub.
I've been testing out...

1.Left hand resting on WASD and shift. Right hand switching between num pad 1-9 and mouse.
2.Left hand resting on WASD and shift. Left hand switching between keyboard 1-9 and mouse. (Don't like my hands bumping each other.)
3. Mouse for movement. (Great in melee pvp.) Left hand on keybaord 1-9. (Holding down shift and trying to press them is awkward)

half a moon said:
Sorry for being nub.
I've been testing out...

1.Left hand resting on WASD and shift. Right hand switching between num pad 1-9 and mouse.
2.Left hand resting on WASD and shift. Left hand switching between keyboard 1-9 and mouse. (Don't like my hands bumping each other.)
3. Mouse for movement. (Great in melee pvp.) Left hand on keybaord 1-9. (Holding down shift and trying to press them is awkward)

My right hand is on the mouse and I have my left hand on WASD while switching with the 1-9 above the letters. I don't use my shift key when playing as it does feel awkward trying to stretch your hand. So sometimes here and there I may have to use my mouse to select certain abilities too if they're on the second set of bars.

HarryDemeanor said:
My right hand is on the mouse and I have my left hand on WASD while switching with the 1-9 above the letters. I don't use my shift key when playing as it does feel awkward trying to stretch your hand. So sometimes here and there I may have to use my mouse to select certain abilities too if they're on the second set of bars.
this right hur looks like a good idea: http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/yes/207-how_you_can_become_gladiator_keybindings_part_i.html

Summary:
Basically changing default 'a' and 'd' to default 'q' and 'e'. Mouse quick turns. Then changing everything in the surrounding area to spells. Nothing used past '6', 'y', 'h', 'b'. No shift and shift for 36 possible abilities within reach surrounding resting hand.

Warlock example:
'f' Fear.
'shift- f' Howl of Terror.

half a moon said:
this right hur looks like a good idea: http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/yes/207-how_you_can_become_gladiator_keybindings_part_i.html

Summary:
Basically changing default 'a' and 'd' to default 'q' and 'e'. Mouse quick turns. Then changing everything in the surrounding area to spells. Nothing used past '6', 'y', 'h', 'b'. No shift and shift for 36 possible abilities within reach surrounding resting hand.

Warlock example:
'f' Fear.
'shift- f' Howl of Terror.

Yeah, going by that picture my hands are in the exact same position when I play. Only thing is my pinky is just sitting there and doesn't get used.

Only problem with that guide is me forgetting what spells are binded to what key. :lol It does seem like something I might try sometime though.

cdyhybrid

I used something similar. Used qwes for moving (q and e for strafing, I turn with mouselook) and used `-6 in combination with shift, alt, and ctrl for skills.

firex

half a moon said:
My bind setup is basically WASD to move (A and D to strafe, mouse to turn) and I bound all my keys on my bar to QERFGZX and Shift+QERFGZX. I also bound my extra mouse buttons (4 and 5) to cooldown macros. Skills that I tend to need to refresh periodically, like warrior shouts or shaman totems, or paladin Hand spells, are on shift + 2-5 so I can pop them as necessary, but won't accidentally use them.

J-Rzez

Only bindings I use are the keys on my mouse, but I do have a Naga so I got a lot of buttons to mess with lol. Turning via mouse. Hell, with the resolution cranked up along with various accelerations, I was able to click nearly as fast as moving my thumb to hit the number keys on the mouse.

n52te-1web.jpg

I'm not even kidding. I thought it was overpriced when I got it, but it's been worth every penny in WoW so far.

Evlar

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
n52te-1web.jpg

I'm not even kidding. I thought it was overpriced when I got it, but it's been worth every penny in WoW so far.
I've had an N52 for years but I don't use it for WoW. My last desk had a slide-out keyboard rest that wasn't large enough to hold both the keyboard and the N52. My current setup is a lapboard- I play sitting in front of my television- and it isn't large enough for the N52, either. I do agree that using the N52 would be the ideal solution.

My current setup is working very well. W and S for forward and back, A and D remapped to strafe. Other hotkeys are bound to 1,2,3,4,Q,E,R,F,V,C,X, and Z- I use all those keys, plus all of those keys modified by Shift, and all modified by Control, and I'm going to add more hotkeys on the same buttons modified by Alt (a few macros which may reduce hassle). All of these keys are readily accessible from my left hand without moving far from the WASD. Turning is of course accomplished with the mouse. I employ a click-casting scheme, too, chiefly for healing.

It's a devil to learn to use any hotkey system, but once you have something that works well you'll never go back.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So a couple weeks ago someone used a Scroll of Res on my character and not a whole lot has changed. The only large difference i can see is that DKs have been rendered fairly ineffective at PVP. After trying out different builds using all three trees, ive found that there really isnt any class that i can take down unless i outgear them. i also think its funny that the crazy one-person healer surviving vs 5 dps is back. i remember people were so happy that Scourge Strike did more damage and that any HoT removal wasnt an issue because "gear in Wotlk has been balanced against that." :lol Now we are like 6 effective tiers and almost 100 item levels later and its easy to spot the consequences.

On the plus side the Dungeon Finder is nice.

Magnus

CassSept said:
So I've gotten through most of ICC this weekend and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.
I mean, the design is great, sure. But everything, apart from Valithria, feels like it was already done before. Most of bosses have their primary skills taken from previous ones. There isn't anything mindblowing, or great new bosses like in Ulduar. Raid design, while not so bad, doesn't feel fresh either. Especially Crimson Halls which just reek of Black Temple.
Maybe it's because Uldu was such a great instance, but I'm very underwhelmed. Not only there are a lot of wasted opportunities, but it just doesn't feel as fresh and imaginative as I've expected from end-game raid instance.
I hope Cata raid content will be better, cause WotLK in this aspect, apart from Uldu, felt horribly disappointing :/

Agreed 100%. ICC was dramatically underwhelming, especially the Lich King fight itself, which we've been building to for years.

Ulduar was about as good as raiding has ever been, imo. The one shining beacon in the last two years.

Arment

water_wendi said:
So a couple weeks ago someone used a Scroll of Res on my character and not a whole lot has changed. The only large difference i can see is that DKs have been rendered fairly ineffective at PVP. After trying out different builds using all three trees, ive found that there really isnt any class that i can take down unless i outgear them. i also think its funny that the crazy one-person healer surviving vs 5 dps is back. i remember people were so happy that Scourge Strike did more damage and that any HoT removal wasnt an issue because "gear in Wotlk has been balanced against that." :lol Now we are like 6 effective tiers and almost 100 item levels later and its easy to spot the consequences.

Oh god. I'm regretting the decision to leave my Warlock for playing a DK in Wotlk. Now I'm stuck with a 70 Warlock and a 80 DK that will suck in PvP.

We've also been recently told that DKs will be being toned down pace wise. I think what I loved the most about raiding as a DK was the constant feeling of being busy. And feeling really rewarded when you did your rotation right for a whole fight.

I guess I can roll a Druid but I'd rather wait for Worgen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
water_wendi said:

You have to spec Unholy. It's the only way to prevent your diseases from being spam-dispelled.

J-Rzez

You can solo kill a lot of the classes as a DK. Go Unholy. Death Strikes (at the right time) + AMS + IBF + Garg + Pet Sac = profit. You just have to learn to use them at the right time and place. Death Coils are your friend as well.

Can they still use help? Yes. That's what Necrotic Strike is going to be good for, along with Simulacrum. Unfortunately, they're a ways off. A quick fix to the 3.3 ScS that got hotfixed can also fix the situation for some people as well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The frustrating thing about the DK changes is that its usually massive alterations to how abilities work which require complete recalculation of gear, enchants and gemming. So now i have to drop pvp gear for pve gear with Arp, gem for Spell Pen, etc. And more annoyingly DKs are melee so the problems of weapons are still there. At least in TBC you could get previous Season weapons without holding 2200 Arena rating. This time around has been even more frustrating than my enhance shaman or feral druid which is some feat :lol

J-Rzez said:
You can solo kill a lot of the classes as a DK. Go Unholy. Death Strikes (at the right time) + AMS + IBF + Garg + Pet Sac = profit. You just have to learn to use them at the right time and place. Death Coils are your friend as well.

Can they still use help? Yes. That's what Necrotic Strike is going to be good for, along with Simulacrum. Unfortunately, they're a ways off. A quick fix to the 3.3 ScS that got hotfixed can also fix the situation for some people as well.
i dont claim to be some leet player but i do think i am much better than the average player. As of now, with 4 Furious/1 Relentless.. the Wrathful neck, rings, wrist.. the only people i can take care of are those that are completely under geared (read: fresh 80s).

ill have to go back and try unholy since the mana pools are so vast now diseases are cleansed as soon as they are applied without worry. i changed from unholy long ago when Blizzard swapped UB and Gargoyle. i tested it out a little bit ago but the change to physical basically had me hitting like a kitten without going 1500 Arp.

If it sounds like im bitching.. well i guess i am :lol Just feels like i do the 2000g change-out song and dance every time a patch hits or i resub.

So, Norton came up with the message that I have an InfoStealer in my and scan.dll.new, but it's prooably a false positive, because multiple people on the wow forums have the same problem. Downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware and that one didn't find an InfoStealer.

Silly Symantec.

Gattsu25

Banned
GasProblem said:
So, Norton came up with the message that I have an InfoStealer in my and scan.dll.new, but it's prooably a false positive, because multiple people on the wow forums have the same problem. Downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware and that one didn't find an InfoStealer.

Silly Symantec.
Don't complain when you find your account has been hacked

mclem

Skel said:
Exactly.

As for wanting to go to Northrend. They have said Dal will continue to be the hub city, so I can have my hearth set wherever I am leveling and then teleport very close to Dal whenever I need to go there.

Have they? The only relevant quote I've been able to find is that there's no new hub city; now, my interpretation of that was that they were intending to go back to the *original* capitals being the focus for players.

Having said that, having an easy port to Dalaran makes a lot of sense anyway, since it still works very nicely as a transportation hub; I suspect they won't put portals between capitals in the original capitals.

Evlar

Banned
I imagine they'll just put a portal to Dal (or someplace reasonably close to Dal, like Argent Vanguard) in the major cities, just like they installed the portal to Outlands. Dal will lose some of its population because it is not close to Cataclysm raids, leveling grounds, or PvP areas.

The other question is where the top-level profession trainers, daily quest givers, and vendors will be located. If they remain in Dal then yes, it will still be the central hub. If they move to Stormwind and Orgrimmar (or IF, Undercity, etc) then those cities will be more desirable.

Hixx

Evlar said:
I imagine they'll just put a portal to Dal (or someplace reasonably close to Dal, like Argent Vanguard) in the major cities, just like they installed the portal to Outlands. Dal will lose some of its population because it is not close to Cataclysm raids, leveling grounds, or PvP areas.

The other question is where the top-level profession trainers, daily quest givers, and vendors will be located. If they remain in Dal then yes, it will still be the central hub. If they move to Stormwind and Orgrimmar (or IF, Undercity, etc) then those cities will be more desirable.

Tol Barad is just south of Southshore so for Horde I imagine quite a few people will use Undercity as their HS.

I hope we see a move back to the old cities though, Shattrath and Dalaran don't have the same feel as Orgrimmar or Ironforge imo.

Should I start playing again?

I quit in like january or february but haven't been really playing for over 6 monhts, just some heroics and random raids.
I'm really bored and want to play WoW but don't want it to be like last time, pay for 60 days and use 5 :/

Is there anything to do atm? I was thinking about leveling few characters and gearing them up to decent level(don't have to raid).
Hmm, I'm trying to keep myself busy with tons of other games but while I play them(and enjoy) and after I still want to play wow QQ
Damn you, worse then heroin.

Retro

Nolimit_SS said:
Should I start playing again?

Is there anything to do atm?

No, to both. Wait until Cataclysm, especially if you're just planning to level some characters; the leveling experience should be fairly smoother and possibly quite different. You'll have two new races and a bunch of new race/class combos, not to mention lots of people to play with who have rolled alts.

Otherwise, there's really not that much to do unless you can jump into ICC raids, and even that is kind of tapering off. Save your money and your time.

I personally have been digging through my WoW-induced backlog of games. Twilight Princess and Borderlands have actually filled the Loot-whoring and dungeon-crawling of WoW quite nicely... I'd take one Zelda dungeon over an entire expansion of WoW dungeons any day. :lol

firex

The other thing about leveling is you will get an all-new experience since the whole world is redone. I mean, most people should know that about Cataclysm, but it's easy to forget that they're completely revamping old quests and quest rewards in addition to the whole zone redesign.

I'm still half-tempted to level one last alt through old world content, but then I remember that I don't really like the old world content except for what they touched up on after release. And that part only makes up like 5 or 10 levels' worth of stuff in the late 30s up to about level 48.

In my case of games to play before I go back to WoW, I tried another MMO (lord of the rings online, which is good but not great and the quest design gets fucking irritating by level 40) and have gone back to Left 4 Dead 2 and Civilization 4.

Amir0x

Banned
I still definitely think LOTRO is better than WoW, because they're both filled with grindy shit repeat questing, only LOTRO has infinitely better graphics and also is married to LOTR lore, which is better than WoW lore.

Plus, I really think their instances are more entertaining (so far, not up to BC or LK content yet).

I'm up to lvl 44 now, and it's starting to feel like that wheel again... prob won't take long to 80, but the motivation is low

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Okay so i took pretty much everyones advice, both here and everywhere, and switched to Unholy again last night. At first i took the standard deep Unholy build and still was unsatisfied with it. So i went back and redid my build with the focus of taking only UB and going down either Blood or Frost. As much as i love dw frost, without any kind of survivability of Blood, going down into Frost was a no go. Right now im 50/0/21 and i finally do not feel ineffective in a fight (or a burden to my group) since ive come back.

i picked up all the major Blood survivability talents.. Vampiric Blood, Mark of Blood, Imp Rune Tap. Grabbed 2/3 Sudden Doom not so much for the slight dps gain but for the 10% chance for a free UB. The last 6 points was kind of a dilemma with the choice being between perma-ghoul or Blood Gorged. Ghouls are nice but the delay from dismount to battle ready is highly annoying so i went Blood Gorged more for the 10% armor ignore than the 10% buff to damage above 75% health.

Death Rune Mastery is something i regret not being able to take. i had a Deathstrike Unholy build at launch where i could do like 4 DSs in a row so i will miss it but i dont have the 3 points to spare out of other Blood talents. Its also too bad i couldnt pick up DRW for some kind of added burst, but its either that or UB so the choice is obvious.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys.

mclem

Amir0x said:
I still definitely think LOTRO is better than WoW, because they're both filled with grindy shit repeat questing, only LOTRO has infinitely better graphics and also is married to LOTR lore, which is better than WoW lore.

Plus, I really think their instances are more entertaining (so far, not up to BC or LK content yet).

I'm up to lvl 44 now, and it's starting to feel like that wheel again... prob won't take long to 80, but the motivation is low

When it was of relevant level, did you quest in Dustwallow? That was redesigned a while back to have a more involved questing experience, more in line with TBC-quality questing. If you liked that, that's what you've got to look forward to.

I do think the newer quest design is infinitely better than how things used to be, so if you turn out to have the same attitude that I do, you'll find that things perk up hugely when you hit Outland.

Narag

Outland questing is fantastic compared to the end of oldworld stuff. Centralized hubs, better direction, and I'm a fan of the Outland zone quest achievement counter there as it gives me a good idea when I should move on if I'm just plowing through quests.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Narag said:
Outland questing is fantastic compared to the end of oldworld stuff. Centralized hubs, better direction, and I'm a fan of the Outland zone quest achievement counter there as it gives me a good idea when I should move on if I'm just plowing through quests.

1st time in outlands eh? You wil like Northrend better as it improves on almost everything with quests. :D

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Narag said:

That right there is the best thing about Outland/Northrend. Its believable to have quests that send you to the four corners of the world.. even welcome for a few to break the monotony.. but when you are trying to focus on leveling through zones that are pretty much dead, it makes things drag on horribly.

My advice for anyone leveling the first time 50-58.. either do it in Alterac Valley or through the Dungeon Finder (lots of cool dungeons at that level anyways.. worth seeing once at the right level).

Retro said:
No, to both. Wait until Cataclysm, especially if you're just planning to level some characters; the leveling experience should be fairly smoother and possibly quite different. You'll have two new races and a bunch of new race/class combos, not to mention lots of people to play with who have rolled alts.

Otherwise, there's really not that much to do unless you can jump into ICC raids, and even that is kind of tapering off. Save your money and your time.

I personally have been digging through my WoW-induced backlog of games. Twilight Princess and Borderlands have actually filled the Loot-whoring and dungeon-crawling of WoW quite nicely... I'd take one Zelda dungeon over an entire expansion of WoW dungeons any day. :lol
Wait wait, that's what I've been doing, but cataclysm is coming in fall probably and that's quite a long wait. I have few characters that are already 60+ so I was thinking about leveling them and 1 hunter I have in 30s as goodbye to old world.
I could PVP a bit, got some gear on rogue already hmm, and my holy pala got 5k+ gearscore so I could work on him if I feel like PVE but I'm still afraid I will get bored. Maybe better to pay 13e for month instead of 20 for two hmm...
And I have TONS of games I gotta play but as I said even while I'm playing them I want to play wow.

I play(ed) tons of MMOs and that's kinda my favorite genre I guess. I love community and socializing with people, talking etc, IRL it's different and I kinda miss talking to people, doing stuff etc. Hmm maybe I should cry in offtopic a bit lol
Yeah, main reasons I want to play are to be with people and to level a bit, maybe some PVP if my latency allows it...

jersoc

half a moon said:
I've been trying to make a hotkey system. I only use 1 through = and clicks. On those A1 and S1 hotkeys to you press 'a' and '1' and the same time?

if you haven't already, your first step is making esdf movement. this gives you a crap ton more keys to use. I tell people this all the time in my guild and everyone says it's too much work to change :|

clickers make me sad.

Alex

Amir0x said:

WoW's a lot more about end game. The end game is psychotically good and more suported than anything I've ever seen in gaming, especially in the MMO genre. Cataclysm will be so nice. Meaningful 10 mans, all of these new subsystems which I've whined for for years, rated BGs, love it.

While leveling is good the old world is, well, old. To be honest Ami, I actually dont really know why anyone would pick now to level when a complete redesign of it is like 5 months off. Let me be more blunt, actually, the old world kind of sucks. It was never that good even when it launched. It's got some empty, retro MMO design to it that pretty brazenly stands out like a sore thumb compared to the ne w content.

It was never bad, it was just a little empty and awkward compared to the crazy design philosophy changes you see when Blizzard got some experience in and their design methods got a lot better.

You're also in BY FAR the worst of the entire game, the 40s? Ugh.

The redesign of Azeroth is the best thing they could have done. I would personally have never went back there again, but now I'm actually extremely interested to. So good on them.

LOTRO is about as good as the BC/LK WoW questing to me (it's outright better than old world), the problem being there's not really a lot beyond that. I played for a bit but it all kind of bled out fast for me.

It has a better audience though and the visuals have nicer tech (but far more sterile art direction compared to modern WoW) and is probably the best of the rest, I'd dig it if they supported it in a way that meant more to me.

firex said:
My bind setup is basically WASD to move (A and D to strafe, mouse to turn) and I bound all my keys on my bar to QERFGZX and Shift+QERFGZX. I also bound my extra mouse buttons (4 and 5) to cooldown macros. Skills that I tend to need to refresh periodically, like warrior shouts or shaman totems, or paladin Hand spells, are on shift + 2-5 so I can pop them as necessary, but won't accidentally use them.
Are you banned? Or is that a tag?

Evlar said:
I've had an N52 for years but I don't use it for WoW. My last desk had a slide-out keyboard rest that wasn't large enough to hold both the keyboard and the N52. My current setup is a lapboard- I play sitting in front of my television- and it isn't large enough for the N52, either. I do agree that using the N52 would be the ideal solution.

My current setup is working very well. W and S for forward and back, A and D remapped to strafe. Other hotkeys are bound to 1,2,3,4,Q,E,R,F,V,C,X, and Z- I use all those keys, plus all of those keys modified by Shift, and all modified by Control, and I'm going to add more hotkeys on the same buttons modified by Alt (a few macros which may reduce hassle). All of these keys are readily accessible from my left hand without moving far from the WASD. Turning is of course accomplished with the mouse. I employ a click-casting scheme, too, chiefly for healing.

It's a devil to learn to use any hotkey system, but once you have something that works well you'll never go back.

I'm trying to make a system like this. I'm melee and having problems moving with WASD and casting tho. Especially with 1-4 hotkeys. Sure I can move with the mouse instead for a while but that gets weird going back and forth between keyboard and mouse movement.

Speaking of macros, I'm not good at making them. Here's my main dps rotation: (Plague Strike – Icy Touch – Blood Strike – Scourge Strike – Blood Strike – Death Coil – HoW - Scourge Strike – Blood Strike – Scourge Strike – Blood Strike – Death Coil – Death Coil) What's the best way, cast sequence?

mclem

Alex said:
The redesign of Azeroth is the best thing they could have done. I would personally have never went back there again, but now I'm actually extremely interested to. So good on them.
As an aside, I wonder if they'll leave Dustwallow questing mostly unchanged.

Amir0x said:

Are you questing, pvping, and dungeoning with anybody? Because, honestly, doing all three alone is the pits. I'd hate my life and WOW going from 1-80 alone. The more the merrier. Socializing is a big aspect of the game.

Is there a warrior in the house?

I've been looking for a good DPS weapon for a long time. In the meantime, I used the level 219 2H sword and the level 200 2H sword (from Argent Crusade) in Titan's Grip.

Now, today the level 232 polearm (http://eu.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=50296) finally dropped in Halls of Reflection. After whining to the tank who got it, he traded it to me (there is hope for the world). I promptly went to Stormwind to respec to Arms and I feel I've found a pretty decent spec.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&cn=Telperiel

Then a few hours later the level 232 axe (http://eu.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=50267) dropped in Pit of Saron. So, now I'm trying to decide what to do. I'd prefer working with the polearm simply because I love polearms, but since the axe can be dualwielded I can't ignore the (possibly) superior DPS from that.

From what I can tell, Arms is supposed to be a crit heavy spec, while Fury is more consistent DPS?

Also, any suggestions on how to enchant and gem my gear? I'm not going to get much more than item level 232 on my stuff since I don't do raids so I'm thinking of settling down a bit and just maxing out my current gear. There's also a 71 mage and a 61 DK I'd like to finish before Cataclysm hits...

J-Rzez

I can tell you that the armp from that axe is superior to that polearm as well. Higher top-end dmg as well.

Gem wise: Hit cap -> Str / Armp -> Crit

Xabora

J-Rzez said:
I can tell you that the armp from that axe is superior to that polearm as well. Higher top-end dmg as well.

Gem wise: Hit cap -> Str / Armp -> Crit
Normally its:
Hit -> ArP until ~100% -> Str

Retro

Nolimit_SS said:
Wait wait, that's what I've been doing, but cataclysm is coming in fall probably and that's quite a long wait.

I stand by my answer; just wait. If you're worried that you'll get bored, you probably will. Save your money, rent some games that WoW made you miss, and enjoy the downtime between Cataclysm. In all honesty, the starting events for it will probably start up in a few months, then 4.0, then launch sometime in the fall. The most you'll be waiting before something happens is 3 months or so, probably. And then you can go back and do all of the things you just mentioned.

Amir0x said:
I still definitely think LOTRO is better than WoW

I'm with you on that, my girlfriend and I have been casually playing through it for a month and a half now, and it's fantastic. There's a few irritating bits, but the amazing parts more than make up for it. Graphics are amazing, lore is astounding, the storyline actually goes somewhere interesting (and nicely weaves in and out of the established LotR story). I also like tanking in LotRO so far; actually having to get between the mob and it's target and beat the hell out of it is much more fun than snap-aggro taunts (which LotRO has, but I barely use).

Great game, and it has 3 years worth of stable content and a mature community to boot.

Alex

mclem said:
As an aside, I wonder if they'll leave Dustwallow questing mostly unchanged.

Dustwallow's new little hub is good but it's very light on the content. I think they'll leave it and build around it.

From what I can tell at WoWwiki, ArP only starts getting useful on something with massive amounts of armor. For PVE, would it really be worth it over more crit or haste? I mean, getting to 100% ArP requires a load of stats that I could put elsewhere.

In PVE, I tend to focus on taking down casters, but then again I might not be doing that with an Arms build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom