• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Sniper McBlaze said:
Ok, thanks for all the answers. I don't see how I'm gonna gain any exp though when I always get to join games where the other side is leading with 2 flags. :O
You'll get XP for all round ends. If you happen to join right before you lose then that's just good.

moojito said:
According to rawr, you should stick with the harpoon. It suggests you put a 10str/10crit gem in your helm, stamina/strength in your chest instead of AP, straight strength in the bracers and weapon, 10str/10crit in your boots, a 10 all stats in your legs instead of the haste/sta gem, 2 strength gems in your belt and 10str/10crit & a strength one in your gloves.

As far as enchants go, you'll want the melee head enchant from the knights of the ebon blade, the sons of hodir insciption of the axe for your shoulders, haste or agi on your cloak (they're about equal). I'd go for expertise on your bracers, icewalker on your boots, AP/crit patch for your legs and precision (20 hit) on your gloves.

The best advice though would be to get rawr yourself and have a look and see what gear changes would work out best for yourself.

Thanks for the tips. I checked Rawr, it's pretty useful, but also a bit disappointing. I'm currently at about 2600 DPS with the play style I'm using. In total, I can improve my DPS by 164 by farming more specific drops, or 385 if I gather another 180 emblems or so (which equals loads of runs). By spending loads on epic gems, I can get 67 more DPS which I'm simply not doing, as I only have about 3500 gold across my characters and still missing epic flight on all but one. Enchanting also only gives me 192, with most of that being Berserking on the polearm.

Some of the enchants aren't an option at all because they'd require loads of rep grinding.

So, I'm looking at a crapload of time more to spend, for a total increase of about 25% in DPS output, unless I get an opportunity to go into raids. I think that time is better spent on having another option to play at 80+.

What's nice to see though, is that I have the best chest, gloves and polearm I could use at this point, and I have an opportunity to buy some of the best legs and helm too right now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You get all kinds in those cross realm dungeons.

* First, I had a Healer Pally (wearing the Royal crest of Lordaeron, no less) yell at me for rolling on a lvl200 epic ring with haste, intellecdt and spell power on, because, "that's a healer ring." I guess arcane mages don't like intellect, haste and spell power.

* Hunter caused us to wipe in Pit of Saron because "on his server" nobody stops DPS on Tyrannus when they have Overlord's Brand, and the healer "should have warned" the group he "couldn't handle it" if he just dps'd through it. I've never heard of anyone doing that; adding an additional 5000 dps onto the tank on top of the Empowerment that Tyrannus gets doesn't sound like a very good idea regardless of how good your healer is.

* After downing Tyrannus in the same run, the Nevermelting Ice Crystal drops. I need roll it (I'm was rocking both BoA trinks). The Warrior tank gets pissed off that I rolled on this for no explicable reason. I never did figure that one out.

Rapstah

Angry Grimace said:

* First, I had a Healer Pally (wearing the Royal crest of Lordaeron, no less) yell at me for rolling on a lvl200 epic ring with haste, intellecdt and spell power on, because, "that's a healer ring." I guess arcane mages don't like intellect, haste and spell power.

* Hunter caused us to wipe in Pit of Saron because "on his server" nobody stops DPS on Tyrannus when they have Overlord's Brand, and the healer "should have warned" the group he "couldn't handle it" if he just dps'd through it. I've never heard of anyone doing that; adding an additional 5000 dps onto the tank on top of the Empowerment that Tyrannus gets doesn't sound like a very good idea regardless of how good your healer is.

* After downing Tyrannus in the same run, the Nevermelting Ice Crystal drops. I need roll it (I'm was rocking both BoA trinks). The Warrior tank gets pissed off that I rolled on this for no explicable reason. I never did figure that one out.
You get exactly those people on EU realms too with the notable difference that they're saying the same things in horrible English. If they even speak English at all, I had one guy yell at me in Swedish, and I remarked to him that I speak Swedish and understood the insults, and then he switched to German, and I told him I spoke that too and that his insults were grammatically incorrect (he was using "fresh" as an insult, wtf) and then he left the group.

DarkJC

Angry Grimace said:

The trinket is really good, not sure why he'd be pissed at all. When I was first getting back into the game and doing Pit of Saron for the first time, my friend was playing with me and he told me to just keep doing DPS, so I DPS'd through Overlords Brand without knowing what it did at the time. We passed it fine, but in subsequent runs I actually looked up what it did and was surprised. I usually stop DPS when I get branded now but my friend insists everyone just ignores the brand for the most part. I guess it just comes down to your battlegroup and the group you're playing with.

edit: I agree that taking a chance and DPSing through it and then blaming the healer is :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DarkJC said:
The trinket is really good, not sure why he'd be pissed at all. When I was first getting back into the game and doing Pit of Saron for the first time, my friend was playing with me and he told me to just keep doing DPS, so I DPS'd through Overlords Brand without knowing what it did at the time. We passed it fine, but in subsequent runs I actually looked up what it did and was surprised. I usually stop DPS when I get branded now but my friend insists everyone just ignores the brand for the most part. I guess it just comes down to your battlegroup and the group you're playing with.

edit: I agree that taking a chance and DPSing through it and then blaming the healer is :lol
I think he was confused. He's a warrior. Even assuming the healer wanted it, the healer *could* have rolled (and would have been foolish for doing so, Resto druids have by far the least amount of use for Crit since their hots don't crit without outdated Tier gear).

Narag

Angry Grimace said:

First i've heard of that then again I see people claiming they shouldn't have to stop dps in forge of souls either, the healer should just heal better.

Angry Grimace

Narag said:
First i've heard of that then again I see people claiming they shouldn't have to stop dps in forge of souls either, the healer should just heal better.
"His" server is really bad too. Our Battlegroup is all small realms except for Echo Isles.

Fularu

Banned
We never stop DPSing on Tyrannus and my friend healer and I try our hardest to see if we can kill someone faster than he can heal them in FoS.

Angry Grimace

Browsing through EJ to see what people thought of the mage changes for Cataclysm and came across this post. If you ever wanted to know who's figuring out your dps rotations and how; well here you go :lol

Keep in mind that they are discussing Mana Adept (the Arcane Mastery), which understand is not only based entirely around a one sentence blurb in the Mage Preview, but it's not even modeled in the F&F since masteries aren't implemented (i.e. nobody actually knows how it works).

2dtq4d4.jpg

While I appreciate EJ's effort and the people there who figure out the max. DPS cycles are, I didn't realize you have to subspec in advanced thoretical mathematics to play Warcraft. Crazy.

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
While I appreciate EJ's effort and the people there who figure out the max. DPS cycles are, I didn't realize you have to subspec in advanced thoretical mathematics to play Warcraft.

EJ's sort of a shadow of their former self, forum-wise. You leave the complex math to them but you get the breakout of what that means from the WoW forums.

Assuming, though, that EJ is on the right track. When DW DK's were nerfed in 3.1, EJ theorycrafters spent 4 weeks on the D&D based dual-wield build. In the meantime, I grabbed one off the WoW boards that someone posted and made sense, which EJ eventually verified as "the spec", some 5 weeks later.

Angry Grimace

FLEABttn said:
EJ's sort of a shadow of their former self, forum-wise. You leave the complex math to them but you get the breakout of what that means from the WoW forums.

Assuming, though, that EJ is on the right track. When DW DK's were nerfed in 3.1, EJ theorycrafters spent 4 weeks on the D&D based dual-wield build. In the meantime, I grabbed one off the WoW boards that someone posted and made sense, which EJ eventually verified as "the spec", some 5 weeks later.
Well, here's the problem; Mana Adept (which is what the guy is trying to deconstruct) essentially has nothing to model and there's no public information other than conceptually speaking.

The entirety of information available on mana adept is,

"Mana Adept: Arcane will deal damage based how much mana the mage has. For example, Arcane mages will do much more damage at 100% mana than at 50% mana. If they begin to get low on mana, they will likely want to use an ability or mechanic to bring their mana up to increase their damage."
There's no numbers, i.e. how much more damage you do with X% of mana. There's no information on how mastery rating affects it (not that it would matter because you don't know the first part). There's no data on how much your damage decreases or increases with your mana pool, etc, or break points at which Adept does something or nothing,

Angry Grimace said:
Browsing through EJ to see what people thought of the mage changes for Cataclysm and came across this post. If you ever wanted to know who's figuring out your dps rotations and how; well here you go :lol

Keep in mind that they are discussing Mana Adept (the Arcane Mastery), which understand is not only based entirely around a one sentence blurb in the Mage Preview, but it's not even modeled in the F&F since masteries aren't implemented (i.e. nobody actually knows how it works).

http://i44.tinypic.com/2dtq4d4.jpg[IMG]

While I appreciate EJ's effort and the people there who figure out the max. DPS cycles are, I didn't realize you have to subspec in advanced thoretical mathematics to play Warcraft. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

No doubt EJ is kind of insane. I was reading the Enhancement Shaman thread in the think tank, got to this image:

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/x24702/14-28.jpg

then stopped and sobbed in a corner for a few minutes and was like "fuck it, I'm gemming haste."

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What the fuck at the EJ pic. I didn't know some people took WoW so seriously. It's kind of sad really.

So, visiting Goldshire:

14jtbg2.jpg

WTF is this? Is it a glitch or something? And everyone is seeing it.

Who decided to smoke out Lion's Pride Inn? xD

Edit: Apperently some Dwarf is doing it. He says he's coming back tomorrow in greater numbers to smoke out the whorelets of Goldshire :lol

GasProblem said:
So, visiting Goldshire:

http://i39.tinypic.com/14jtbg2.jpg[IMG]

WTF is this? Is it a glitch or something? And everyone is seeing it.

Who decided to smoke out Lion's Pride Inn? xD[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.wowhead.com/item=23768[/url]

Bisnic said:
What the fuck at the EJ pic. I didn't know some people took WoW so seriously. It's kind of sad really.

For me it wasn't "taking WoW too seriously" so much as applying things I enjoyed doing to a hobby I enjoyed as well. I haven't done it eons, but it was "fun". Most of what's in that math is standard undergraduate stuff.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
then stopped and sobbed in a corner for a few minutes and was like "fuck it, I'm gemming haste."

That graph is rather simple to comprehend even with a basic understanding of Algebra. :p

Angry Grimace

Freyjadour said:
For me it wasn't "taking WoW too seriously" so much as applying things I enjoyed doing to a hobby I enjoyed as well. I haven't done it eons, but it was "fun". Most of what's in that math is standard undergraduate stuff.

That graph is rather simple to comprehend even with a basic understanding of Algebra. :p
WoW isn't Hello Kitty Island Adventure-easy, but it's certainly not hard enough to require that kind of math.

I mean, Arcane Mage is a spec that largely requires you to press 1-1-1-1-2 as your entire rotation. :lol

WOW-gaf I need some advice, and I apologize if it's a stupid question. :(

Our small raiding guild tackled ICC10 the other night for the first time, and we did pretty well for not having any raid experience. (cleared the first wing, with a single wipe on each boss except for marrowgar, where we had 2)

anyway, we tried rotface and wiped several times. We had 2 healers (myself as a holy pally and a tree)

Should we add in another healer at a loss of dps? Our dps ranges from 5300 to 6300 per player.

I'm not sure how dps depended rotface, and the rest of the plague wing are.

Again, sorry if it's noobish. Don't hurt me lol.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
In vanilla days I had an awesome guild leader that I still talk to every so often. He doesn't play because he's finishing up a masters in Math.

Recently he wrote this on facebook gallery:
If you've ever wondered what happens when you divide by zero...
j67tzd.jpg

Contour plot of f(z)=cos(1/z). The hue represents the argument of the function, and it winds around faster and faster as you move towards the origin. The result is an essential singularity.
4gswb5.jpg

Contour plot of f(z)=exp(1/z) in the complex plane. Here we see the argument whipping around the pole at the origin. The black and white spots near the origin are places where the exponential function diverges. This function takes the complex plane and wraps it around the singularity at the origin infinitely many times.

Math lovers are geeky as hell. Not a bad thing.

I expect him to do major theory crafting and enjoying it. Another aspect of the game to love I suppose. Then you help tons of people.

Freyjadour said:

Oh, no doubt. Once I actually looked at it I was like "oh...that is pretty neat and fairly informative," I just wasn't expecting a 3D graph to pop up when they were talking about Windfury.

Edit: answering MattPeters raiding question too

MattPeters said:

Our small raiding guild tackled ICC10 the other night for the first time, and we did pretty well for not having any raid experience. (cleared the first wing, with a single wipe on each boss except for marrowgar, where we had 2)

anyway, we tried rotface and wiped several times. We had 2 healers (myself as a holy pally and a tree)

Should we add in another healer at a loss of dps? Our dps ranges from 5300 to 6300 per player.

Like Grimace says below, it is kind of tough without more information -- if you can go into why or how you were wiping (were you overloaded with small oozes merging and causing too many big oozes? Was there just too much damage?). I can say that after Marrowgar the fights do end up getting fairly healing intensive and three healers helps a ton.

Angry Grimace

MattPeters said:

Unfortunately, that's not really enough information to give you advice on. It really depends WHY you're wiping, i.e. from multiple Big Oozes, OT getting killed, raid damage, etc.

Oh crap. I was so happy with my polearm and then another Tyrannical Beheader drops. Now the question is: stick with polearm Arms spec or switch to dualwielding double axe Fury spec.

Rawr seems to suggest that I stick with what I have though. Maybe it's because of my gear, but it insists that the Fury variation would be much worse even with two Beheaders.

Sorry.

Raid damage is managable early until but as the fight goes on, it becomes difficult to keep every one up.

Everyone is good at the oozes and getting them to the OT to combine them. The tree and I feel overwhelmed though.

Maybe it's our lack of raid experience. Maybe I just suck? :lol

EDIT: I'm at 2770SP self buffed, if that makes any difference.

Angry Grimace

SiegfriedFM said:
Oh crap. I was so happy with my polearm and then another Tyrannical Beheader drops. Now the question is: stick with polearm Arms spec or switch to dualwielding double axe Fury spec.

Rawr seems to suggest that I stick with what I have though. Maybe it's because of my gear, but it insists that the Fury variation would be much worse even with two Beheaders.
Probably because Tyrannical Beheader is purple and orange and they know you'd look like a dumbass dual wielding those.
Sorry.

Raid damage is managable early until but as the fight goes on, it becomes difficult to keep every one up.

Everyone is good at the oozes and getting them to the OT to combine them. The tree and I feel overwhelmed though.

Maybe it's our lack of raid experience. Maybe I just suck?
You can't really allow the disease that causes the Oozes to spawn to stay on targets for very long because it reduces the healing the target gets. I'd try three healers; Rotface isnt' a DPS race with the buff at 15% anymore. He really does not have that much health on 10m. Also, nobody should be taking a lot of damage from that Barf attack (I forgot what it's called, like Slime Spray?)

firex

So, how are Arms warriors in WoW right now? I left mine at 73 last time I got bored but I'm kind of thinking of finishing the leveling job now and maybe trying to gear him up a little in case I hate how paladins play in Cataclysm. Especially if Arms is still an awesome DPS spec. I really just picked it because a few of the 1-point talents looked awesome: Bladestorm, which I know got nerfed for pvp, but I don't know if it affects pve much, and Juggernaut. It also feels like the first character since my destruction lock back in classic that can hold his own in pvp as a dps spec (I don't think my overpowered prot/ret paladin counts since it feels like godmode in pvp, and I don't even have resilience gear).

J-Rzez

MattPeters said:
Sorry.

Maybe it's our lack of raid experience. Maybe I just suck? :lol

EDIT: I'm at 2770SP self buffed, if that makes any difference.

You'll get used to it. Our healers are strictly 10-man geared, and we one heal that fight with a dps throwing out a pinch heal here and there if needed. Back in the day when we first started, we ran 2 dedicated healers I know.

If you're getting overwhelmed by raid damage either:
1. People are not getting out of the way for his spit
2. People are not spreading out enough when the big ooze explodes and causes more dmg to each other.
3. Big ooze is getting into the raid.

J-Rzez said:
You'll get used to it. Our healers are strictly 10-man geared, and we one heal that fight with a dps throwing out a pinch heal here and there if needed. Back in the day when we first started, we ran 2 dedicated healers I know.

2. People are not spreading out enough when the big ooze explodes and causes more dmg to each other.

One healer? Wow.

What class is that one healer?

Angry Grimace

firex said:
So, how are Arms warriors in WoW right now? I left mine at 73 last time I got bored but I'm kind of thinking of finishing the leveling job now and maybe trying to gear him up a little in case I hate how paladins play in Cataclysm. Especially if Arms is still an awesome DPS spec. I really just picked it because a few of the 1-point talents looked awesome: Bladestorm, which I know got nerfed for pvp, but I don't know if it affects pve much, and Juggernaut. It also feels like the first character since my destruction lock back in classic that can hold his own in pvp as a dps spec (I don't think my overpowered prot/ret paladin counts since it feels like godmode in pvp, and I don't even have resilience gear).
Just remember that in Cataclysm, Whirlwind does 50% damage. Bladestorm is not an attack; it's a buff that procs multiple Whirlwinds (meaning Bladestorm will do half damage from what it does now).

keeblerdrow said:
Or just go with what you want to do and don't let a program tell you how to play your character.

Who are you talking to?

firex

Yeah, but I just want to know if Arms got nerfed any in pve or if it was just pvp with the bladestorm disarm nerf. If it's still a good DPS spec for pve, then I'll stick with it. and if not, then I'll just try to tank or something.

J-Rzez

firex said:
Yeah, but I just want to know if Arms got nerfed any in pve or if it was just pvp with the bladestorm disarm nerf. If it's still a good DPS spec for pve, then I'll stick with it. and if not, then I'll just try to tank or something.

Our war DPS is fury, and I don't think I've seen any other arms dps wars in any other raid I was in. I think people used Arms in instances/heroics until they got gear for fury.

Retro

Various mathematical tables, formulae and diagrams.

This is why, deep down, I hate MMORPGs. What ever just happened to playing a game and having fun?

I mean, I get it... some people like min/maxing and figuring out the mechanics and the math, and turning it into a big project. I dunno how math can be fun, but apparently to some people, I guess it is.

I just wish every MMORPG wasn't sticking to that kind of gameplay like it was a recipe for success.

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
Our war DPS is fury, and I don't think I've seen any other arms dps wars in any other raid I was in. I think people used Arms in instances/heroics until they got gear for fury.
Arms is competitive, but Fury scales higher. I think the difference is sort of like Arcane Mage vs. Fire Mage; Fire is competitive with Arcane, but nobody specs Fire because nobody likes doing work. :lol

Retro said:
This is why, deep down, I hate MMORPGs. What ever just happened to playing a game and having fun?

I agree with the sentiment, but the PvE game doesn't really let you do that. You either conform or die. You need to get 90% of the way there, and everything after that is just mathwank, really. The mathwankers are really sweating eeking out like an additional 5% dps on top of what you can do if you have a pretty basic understanding of your class.

On my DK, I dual wield Frost DPS, but I don't use the EJ-recommended Glyph of Disease because it's a fucking pain in the ass to use for a marginal gain that's not necessary if you aren't pushing heroic content (which my guild certainly ain't.). I've always hated that Glyph because using it is annoying as fuck.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
Well, if Fury is better endgame, then I'll try it some time after I get to 80 and have gear to support it.
I'm not a huge fan of specs that rely so much on white damage, which is why I stopped trying to play my warrior entirely.

firex

Honestly, I just like doing big damage numbers without flailing around like a retard with a ret paladin.

Plus trolls are really fun to play as.

Angry Grimace said:
Who are you talking to?

Yyyyyep, sorry. I'd been sitting on this thread's page for a while. It was directed at the guy worried about the Tyrannical Beheader vs. polearm query. Rawr is a great tool, but treating as a bible will only get you into severe carrot chasing.

Angry Grimace

keeblerdrow said:
Yyyyyep, sorry. I'd been sitting on this thread's page for a while. It was directed at the guy worried about the Tyrannical Beheader vs. polearm query. Rawr is a great tool, but treating as a bible will only get you into severe carrot chasing.
Yeah, it's pretty much the same shit.

We just cleared 11/12 Hardmodes on 10 man. Heroic Lick King is bananas. Its not possible to beat the enrage timer with 3 healers in the group. You need to 2 heal it in order to have a chance.

Its going to be a long few weeks as we bash our heads against him.

Pookaki said:
We just cleared 11/12 Hardmodes on 10 man. Heroic Lick King is bananas. Its not possible to beat the enrage timer with 3 healers in the group. You need to 2 heal it in order to have a chance.

Good luck with your guild imploding.
joking/not joking

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:

My raid group's OT is so bad I literally have to kite the Big Oozes because she can't do it. I'm pretty sure the group is convinced it's a function of class rather than skill, but really, I wouldn't have any problem kiting the slime on a Paladin anymore than a DK.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
My raid group's OT is so bad I literally have to kite the Big Oozes because she can't do it. I'm pretty sure the group is convinced it's a function of class rather than skill, but really, I wouldn't have any problem kiting the slime on a Paladin anymore than a DK.

Well the only thing that's nicer with the pally is HoF in a pinch if something comes up. But yes, I tanked those on my DK before, they weren't a problem there really. Both can kite just fine. Wars though have a bit of trouble maintaining aggro at times though as they don't have as many ranged high-aggro moves.

Pookaki said:

You guys a 25man guild doing the 10man hardmodes or more of a 10man guild?

J-Rzez said:
You guys a 25man guild doing the 10man hardmodes or more of a 10man guild?
25 man doing 10 man hardmode stuff. Our 25 man just downed LK for the first time last week, so we are behind the curve a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom