• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when does the next expansion of the game come out? I looked on the main WOW website but i couldn't find a thing. I'm mainly interested in what stuff they are adding of course. I heard that there was such a thing as a Orange drop personally i've only seen purple which are already badass. But i heard rumors there are a few orange. Is this true and if it is could someone tell me the item names? Thanks

SaitoH

Expansion is tentitively set for late next year.

No word on content. Though I'd expect new races (blood elves and panderan ? ), couple new classes, and new zones (duh!).

*shrugs*

elitehebrew said:
So when does the next expansion of the game come out? I looked on the main WOW website but i couldn't find a thing. I'm mainly interested in what stuff they are adding of course. I heard that there was such a thing as a Orange drop personally i've only seen purple which are already badass. But i heard rumors there are a few orange. Is this true and if it is could someone tell me the item names? Thanks

You'll find out at BlizzCon in October. Got my Warrior up to 26 this weekend. Damn college for pulling me away from WoW.

Fularu

Banned
SaitoH said:
Expansion is tentitively set for late next year.

No word on content. Though I'd expect new races (blood elves and panderan ? ), couple new classes, and new zones (duh!).

*shrugs*

I fully expect a level limit raise, new skill tress (or deeper ones) to compensate for the added TP

Imagine doing MC next year with 40 lvl 85

elitehebrew said:
Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros - http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=40103
Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker - http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=40513

There are 3 Alliance with Sulfuras and 1 Alliance with Thunderfury on my server.

cool thanks. I was looking on that site though and if red are lesser items then the orange then why are there no red items in existance? lol

SaitoH

Fularu said:
I fully expect a level limit raise, new skill tress (or deeper ones) to compensate for the added TP

Imagine doing MC next year with 40 lvl 85

They'll never raise the level cap. It would trivialize all the current and upcoming content. Also, expect hero classes to be essentially a sideways upgrade.

Fularu

Banned
SaitoH said:
They'll never raise the level cap. It would trivialize all the current and upcoming content. Also, expect hero classes to be essentially a sideways upgrade.

I disagree, increasing the level cap just means making harder instances

what's the problem with having people able to do BWL? they just won't be able to do the net big ones

I'm sure blizz will have plenty of new very high level instances with more legendary items and the first artefact ones

ManaByte

Fularu said:

what's the problem with having people able to do BWL? they just won't be able to do the net big ones

I'm sure blizz will have plenty of new very high level instances with more legendary items and the first artefact ones

On the other hand, raising the level cap makes people feel that they have to level more (and thus MUST buy the expansion) just to compete with everyone else. Every MMORPG company looks at the history of the genre of what happens when games do certain things, and you just have to look at EQ and DAoC for an example of this.

When EQ released its first expansion, Ruins of Kunark, they raised the level cap and pissed off a bunch of people who felt they absolutely had to buy the expansion just to keep up with everyone else. Mythic released DAoC not too long after the EQ expansions started to hit, and the game gained much of its population from people upset with how Verant was handling EQ at the time. Mythic has never in nearly five years raised the level cap of DAoC and they won't simply because it honestly isn't something that's fair to do unless you make the higher level content available to everyone without the expansion.

I really don't think they are going to raise the level cap. Look for something along the lines of EQ's AA or DAoC's Master Levels. It would trivialize current content. Why 40-man Ragnaros at 60 when you can 15-man it at 75?

ManaByte

Sal Paradise Jr said:
I really don't think they are going to raise the level cap. Look for something along the lines of EQ's AA or DAoC's Master Levels. It would trivialize current content. Why 40-man Ragnaros at 60 when you can 15-man it at 75?

They can always just place level limits on the instances so that you can't enter the instance if you're higher than a certain level.

border

ManaByte said:
On the other hand, raising the level cap makes people feel that they have to level more (and thus MUST buy the expansion) just to compete with everyone else.
Are people really pussies like that? What is the point of the expansion pack if it's not going to have content and abilities that are exclusive to those that buy it?

Fularu said:

What do you do with talent points when you go above 60?

I really like the artificial progression at level 60 right now. A 60 in their regular blue set is way, way inferior to a person decked out in tier 2 Ony/Rag/BWL items.

TheDuce22

Banned
I was thinking about going back to WoW. Those druid notes were insane. Druids were overpowered (I had a 60 druid) when I left and they continue to get buffed? How do warriors look these days?

Zaptruder

Banned
So... tired.

Basically two weeks of none stop play, and... it's depressing. Running the same instance again and again, trying to get groups together for the same instances, even with friends and what not...
41 runs in UBRS, not even one single beast stalker tunic drop. Not to mention often having 2-3 competition. If they expect me to do 80-120 runs to get that damn thing... well fuck that shit. I'd rather sell my account.

bah. I hate MMORPGs in general. Damn you Blizzard!

SaitoH

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What do you do with talent points when you go above 60?

I really like the artificial progression at level 60 right now. A 60 in their regular blue set is way, way inferior to a person decked out in tier 2 Ony/Rag/BWL items.

That's another good point. Talents are balanced for 51 points. Having more points available would completely bork the balance in them. I also agree with Pie man that the artificial progression is fine as is. I expect the game to grow by offering more choice. More zones, more instances, more loot.

Hopefully Zul'gurrub proves to be as fun as Dire Maul.

=D

PS. Zaptruder: Take a break and do something else. Another instance, another character, something. Doing one instance over and over is a great way to frustrate yourself. I do maybe 5 instances a week (on a busy week). Takes a while to get my gear, but I don't burn out. Mix it up, lest you go insane!

^_~

Fularu

Banned
The balance for talent points?

Improved skill trees.. As it is today, for most classes, there are usless trees because they don't briing anything, give us more tallents, deeper trees and raise the limit, you'll still have a fairly balanced system

If blizz does not raise the level limit, I don't see how people are going to buy the expansion, just for a new race? a new class?

Blizz won't get away with zones exclusive to the expansion if they can't get away with the level cap...

Blizzard has accustomed its customers to get new instances, new battlegrounds, new everything from *free* regular updates...

Just giving us blood elves and pandareans, a new Hero class and some new instances won't make the cut ...

I believe, just la FF XI did, that they should raise the level limit, and as far as I can see, it did not break the game balance, did it?

Zaptruder

Banned
SaitoH said:
That's another good point. Talents are balanced for 51 points. Having more points available would completely bork the balance in them. I also agree with Pie man that the artificial progression is fine as is. I expect the game to grow by offering more choice. More zones, more instances, more loot.

Hopefully Zul'gurrub proves to be as fun as Dire Maul.

=D

PS. Zaptruder: Take a break and do something else. Another instance, another character, something. Doing one instance over and over is a great way to frustrate yourself. I do maybe 5 instances a week (on a busy week). Takes a while to get my gear, but I don't burn out. Mix it up, lest you go insane!

^_~

I did mean instances.

Stratholme, Scholomance, UBRS, and now DM Tribute.

And some PVPing... but everytime I'm logged on as an alt, or doing something else, there's a huge anxiety that I'm missing out on the chance to get beast stalker, or whatever it is I want.

And again... ultimately it's all so very meaningless.

SaitoH

Fularu: This isn't FFXI. FFXI is a leveling treadmill, WoW is a gear treadmill. I would assume that's pretty obvious to anyone that's reached level 60.

Just giving us blood elves and pandareans, a new Hero class and some new instances won't make the cut ...

It will for me.

*shrugs*

Zaptruder: Yes, it is meaningless. Just remember that the main point of playing is to have fun ...

Depends on the time really. If it really is a year away, they're going to blow us away with an insane amount of content, but at a hefty $49.99 price (thank you NCSoft!).

Look for player/guild housing, 2 new playable races (i'm predicting Goblins and Pandaren), 3 new classes (2 of which are horde/alliance specific), and an entire new continent Northrend with several neighboring islands to explore, with you know who being the final confrontation of the entire thing.

Before people come in with the "Goblins are neutral, they'll NEVER be made a horde race", i'd like to point out that we are not playing WC 1,2, or 3. The storyline will be evolving, and it would not be hard at all to make 1 faction within Goblin ranks horde-playable.

Of course, I'm pulling most of this out my ass, but it's fun to speculate, so...

Fularu

Banned
Same here.. I think Pandareans would be a mistake in evening the ratio..

Blood elves would be nice for the horde side to get those elf loving players... Especially since they are very very strong in magic

On the other hand, what new race could the alliance side have? I still think the horde should have its own midget race (much like the gnomes).

Again, for the level limit, I think blizz will raise it, there's already lvl 80 weapons, there'S much much to do for blizz if they don't want to lose too many lvl60 players who feel bored..

Remember, the vast majority of 60s will never make Onyxia, Molten Core or Blackwing Lair... On my server, not a single guild has gone past BWL's first boss.. (Dragonmaw) and there's a new 40 man raid instance that will be even harder than BWL slated for 1.8....

So what will you do with those people? Make them run Strat, Scholo or Dire maul over and over and over?

I believe people want a level raise, in order to be able to do instances that they just can'T touch right now

Fularu said:
Same here.. I think Pandareans would be a mistake in evening the ratio..

Blood elves would be nice for the horde side to get those elf loving players... Especially since they are very very strong in magic

On the other hand, what new race could the alliance side have? I still think the horde should have its own midget race (much like the gnomes).

Again, for the level limit, I think blizz will raise it, there's already lvl 80 weapons, there'S much much to do for blizz if they don't want to lose too many lvl60 players who feel bored..

Remember, the vast majority of 60s will never make Onyxia, Molten Core or Blackwing Lair... On my server, not a single guild has gone past BWL's first boss.. (Dragonmaw) and there's a new 40 man raid instance that will be even harder than BWL slated for 1.8....

So what will you do with those people? Make them run Strat, Scholo or Dire maul over and over and over?

I believe people want a level raise, in order to be able to do instances that they just can'T touch right now
Do you have a level 60 character? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious because everything you say seems to indicate you don't.

Many, many guilds have not gotten past BWL because it's only a couple months old. It was months and months before anyone killed Onyxia, and she was EASIER back then. It took some dedicated Koreans on a beta server to first do it. Many guilds are just now beginning to steamroll through MC after a year.

Being capped at 60 does not make the game boring. It's actually what makes the level 60 game so much fun as it is and is the reason why when you run around Org/IF, you see about 50% level 60s. It's truly where the game begins.

What would make the game boring is being capped at 80 and being able to roll through BWL without strategy. I don't think I'm alone in saying that the reason MC/Ony/BWL are fun is because of the huge necessity for a good strategy and a very good group of people working together. These instances, and any other created in the future, would just be boring and unnecessary if we could vacuum our way through them for loot.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Being capped at 60 does not make the game boring. It's actually what makes the level 60 game so much fun as it is and is the reason why when you run around Org/IF, you see about 50% level 60s. It's truly where the game begins.

What would make the game boring is being capped at 80 and being able to roll through BWL without strategy. I don't think I'm alone in saying that the reason MC/Ony/BWL are fun is because of the huge necessity for a good strategy and a very good group of people working together. These instances, and any other created in the future, would just be boring and unnecessary if we could vacuum our way through them for loot.

Exactly. It seems that some people, though, don't associate a challenge with a good time, and would rather just blast through instance to get new loot. Half of the fun is seeing what you can do in this game, knowing full well you're really pushing your luck if you hope to be successful. I love watching those videos of end game guilds that will do certain runs seriously under-manned just to see if they can do it.

Fularu

Banned
I HAVE a level 60 warrior on Dragonmaw, my nickname is Grosbill and I'm in the Attrition guild, we have an MC run tomorow night and we'll see how it fares (the last one.. well uh.. didn't go well ;))

I'm not begging for a cap rise but so far, when you are a level 60 all you do is either :

- Raid UBRS
- Raid UBRS
- Raid UBRS
- Oh throw in some AV so as not to lose some rank
- Do your week's MC run
- Maybe do the week's Onyxia one
- Sometimes help some guildies!

In my guild, we won't be attempting BWL until MC has a farm status (we managed to get to Ragnaros though, after getting pwned time and again by Luciferion).

Sure those times are challenging, but I'm *not* paying 20$ a month (15 US) to play once or twice a week with my lvl 60 character, there is definitely *not* enough lvl 60 content, versus the more than aplenty lvl 1-50 content. And that'S an issue Blizzard itself knows it has to adress. In the latest article on the website, they acknowledge that LVL 60 players are getting *bored*, and what did they give before? Farm the cards for the fair... great now I'll run Scholo or Strat 50 times a week to get my set :p

Fularu said:
I HAVE a level 60 warrior on Dragonmaw, my nickname is Grosbill and I'm in the Attrition guild, we have an MC run tomorow night and we'll see how it fares (the last one.. well uh.. didn't go well ;))

I'm not begging for a cap rise but so far, when you are a level 60 all you do is either :

- Raid UBRS
- Raid UBRS
- Raid UBRS
- Oh throw in some AV so as not to lose some rank
- Do your week's MC run
- Maybe do the week's Onyxia one
- Sometimes help some guildies!

In my guild, we won't be attempting BWL until MC has a farm status (we managed to get to Ragnaros though, after getting pwned time and again by Luciferion).

Sure those times are challenging, but I'm *not* paying 20$ a month (15 US) to play once or twice a week with my lvl 60 character, there is definitely *not* enough lvl 60 content, versus the more than aplenty lvl 1-50 content. And that'S an issue Blizzard itself knows it has to adress. In the latest article on the website, they acknowledge that LVL 60 players are getting *bored*, and what did they give before? Farm the cards for the fair... great now I'll run Scholo or Strat 50 times a week to get my set :p
But how does raising a level cap make anything more fun? It's like you said, we just need more end-game content, not a level raise. I'll be pretty upset if the level is raised, to be honest.

Fularu

Banned
But how does raising a level cap make anything more fun? It's like you said, we just need more end-game content, not a level raise. I'll be pretty upset if the level is raised, to be honest.

upping the level will mean that most of those instances wil now be doable by PUGs, they'll have interesting items but much less interesting than the ones you'll find in the newer, higher level end game instances (as I said, we seriously need more legendary and artifact items)

Zaptruder said:
there's a huge anxiety that I'm missing out

Found the culprit.

As for 60 content, I have old friends to PL thru instance end bosses, XTREEM MINING for Arcane Crystals (will I find riches, or MCed out warriors on epic mounts hounding me till a vein's in view, then ganks), and our guild now has enough in a couple weeks for Zul'Gurub. It should replace Dire Maul as our "yell out the name in TS and head on down to it" instance, and be good practice for co-op MC and OL.

A level cap raising would help non-melees do the "leveling after 60" that Warriors especially do from BoP*. It would trivialize, say, MC, but ya gotta think: whatever's beyond BWL is going to be VERY tough. More mob HP? Crueler punishments for wiping? They have to be ~63, so it's gotta be. If they do have a cap raising, at least it would make it a simpler dungeon balancing effort.

*Or, they could actually buff castery gear. I can dream, can't I? :lol

SyNapSe

For some reason, I always presumed that Hero Classes would work like Adv. Jobs in FFXI. Level 60 classes would basically start a new job type. I dunno, now that they seem really serious about balancing talents across all classes maybe they are planning to raise the level cap. The system is set for 51 points, but if everyone had equal talents and could get that next nice 21 point talent it wouldn't be so bad maybe.

Hmmm....Hakar was defeated on the test realm by a group of horde (GM confirmed the kill). Hopefully there weren't any major bugs that occured during the fight because if there weren't any then the patch will be released this coming Tuesday. Damnit, I want the patch and my hunter changes already >_<

Joe

would anyone be able to tell me why i cant see my guild chat? i logged on and one of my UI mods let me know for some reason that all my settings were reset and i couldnt see any chats. i joined the general, trade, defense and all of those chats but i still cant see guild chat. anyone know how i can fix it?

i cant see whispers either, this goes for sending and receiving...really pissing me off.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Well, looks like 1.7 is coming out this Tuesday. They have already updated the site in preparation for the new patch.

'Bout fucking time. Looking forward to Zul'Gurub and the new BG for the fact that I've been wanting a 20-man raid (PUG/Guild mix possibility, doens't require 16,000 years of planning) and a 15-man bg.

Just found out some interesting things, hunter pets now disengage from attacking a target that has been scatter shotted or freeze trapped. Also, a hunter doesn't go into combat anymore when the pet is the only one that is attacking.

border

crimsonheadGCN said:
Just found out some interesting things, hunter pets now disengage from attacking a target that has been scatter shotted or freeze trapped.
I've never played a Hunter before....could someone explain how this is an advantage? Do attacks on a frozen player disrupt the freeze? Or is it just good because the pet now knows to switch off non-essential targets?

Will they disengage enemies that have been rooted by a druid? I know that attacks on rooted enemies may disrupt the spell...

Ferrio

Banned
Well within the last couple days my guild finally put down Magdamar, Gehennas and Garr for the first time.

We'll be working on Baron and Shaz wednesday.

Fularu

Banned
Opiomorph said:
Hmm, got down Taurens being rideable on Wolf mounts, is that making it back in to 1.7?

You can already ride Wolves, and in an easier way than the one with 1.7

Just be exalted in AV and buy the Wolf Mount (640g), no need to buy the wolf riding skill either, and those Alterac Frostwolf look hot :D

xabre

Banned
Sal Paradise Jr said:
'Bout fucking time.

Heh, I posted the same thing back on page 82. They've fucked us around for two months with this patch and it'll probably be another two months before the next one. I guess all signs point to yes for 1.7 this week but I won't be convinced until it actually starts downloading.

xabre said:
Heh, I posted the same thing back on page 82. They've fucked us around for two months with this patch and it'll probably be another two months before the next one. I guess all signs point to yes for 1.7 this week but I won't be convinced until it actually starts downloading.

As long as we don't have "musical chairs ZG boss rules" like with BWL, it'll be for the better.

Tritroid

Ferrio said:
Well within the last couple days my guild finally put down Magdamar, Gehennas and Garr for the first time.

We'll be working on Baron and Shaz wednesday.
Here's a hint for Baron: When he starts AoEing and the tank steps out of melee, don't cease ranged attack thinking the tank will lose aggro.

Makes all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom