• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

markot said:
>_< Hunters are so lame with Mana... Also, protection/ret pallies should lose it too!
It's really not an issue with my protadin, and it looks like in Cataclysm it will be less of an issue for ret pallies. Plus it fits the class. I'm glad mana is being removed from hunters because it really doesn't fit that class at all.

CassSept

markot said:
>_< Hunters are so lame with Mana... Also, protection/ret pallies should lose it too!
It's good to have a resource that's easily retrievable.
But man. Fuck tanking Vezax with protadin. Fuck it, hard. It sucks so so bad.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Say the same thing =\= being the same person, it's just self referential material. Yogg-Saron was right, that's all.

markot

Banned
firex said:
It's really not an issue with my protadin, and it looks like in Cataclysm it will be less of an issue for ret pallies. Plus it fits the class. I'm glad mana is being removed from hunters because it really doesn't fit that class at all.
Some pallies are just terrible and dont know how to keep their mana up >_< But it is kinda silly that its mana restricted, and they give you so many moves to replenish it...

Id like pallies to have no mana at all, kinda copy the style of pallies in warhammer. (Despite the awful of that game, the melee to heal stuff was a nice change to just standing back)

Rapstah

LAUGHTREY said:
Say the same thing =\= being the same person, it's just self referential material. Yogg-Saron was right, that's all.
I was just speculating with the wrong words. :lol I didn't get it from GameFAQs, I swear.

Alcoori

Yesterday I was doing my daily random instance. New one I had never done (I think it was Halls of Stone?) and I just turned 77. I was tanking but shortly after the start, the group made me switch with the war and I became DPS.
I felt invalidated as a tank and became doubting my ability.
I had more HP than the war, my defense grants me 56-57% damage absorption (leveling phase), I have a decent chance or parrying/dodging, so I don't know what I did wrong :(
Maybe it's just because I didn't know the instance. But I felt double bad because the whole time the War was in front of me on Recount, not by a huge lot, but still. I suck both at tanking and DPS it seems.

Although later I did Gundrak and it went smoothly, plus people were nice enough to explain to me the bosses and stuff without acting like it was the most difficult thing in the world.

Every time we wipe, and can't help but think it's all my fault. Oh the expectations put on you as a tank (or healer). DPS don't have that problem!

mclem

Rapstah said:
If we assume that there's another "Old God" boss in Cataclysm, will it be C'Thun again (the whole ogre warlock dude lore), Yogg-Saron again (since it's basically confirmed in the Lich King cinematic that the Terenas ghost is at least partially Yogg-Saron) or a completely new boss? There's only so much you can do with a huge slimy boss in the middle of a room and having to enter the boss to weaken it from time to time.

We've had the eyeball boss and the mouth boss. The problem is that now we're basically limited to a nose boss or an ear boss, neither of which is quite as threatening.

Actually, while it would be cheesy as *hell* in lore terms, fighting C'thun and Yogg at the same time - with some interplay between their mechanics - could result in a pretty entertaining fight.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Alcoori said:
Yesterday I was doing my daily random instance. New one I had never done (I think it was Halls of Stone?) and I just turned 77. I was tanking but shortly after the start, the group made me switch with the war and I became DPS.
I felt invalidated as a tank and became doubting my ability.
I had more HP than the war, my defense grants me 56-57% damage absorption (leveling phase), I have a decent chance or parrying/dodging, so I don't know what I did wrong :(
Maybe it's just because I didn't know the instance. But I felt double bad because the whole time the War was in front of me on Recount, not by a huge lot, but still. I suck both at tanking and DPS it seems.

Although later I did Gundrak and it went smoothly, plus people were nice enough to explain to me the bosses and stuff without acting like it was the most difficult thing in the world.

Every time we wipe, and can't help but think it's all my fault. Oh the expectations put on you as a tank (or healer). DPS don't have that problem!

The warrior was probably some dude in full heirloom gear(gear that you buy with your lvl 80 main and that scales with lvls and is usually better than blues) & with more WoW experience than you. Don't feel too bad about him doing better. Also don't feel bad when wipes happen, it's normal.(Even me who is very good at tanking with my warrior, let my group wiped in a heroic 5 man yesterday D: It was the hardest one though lol) If you mention before the run that you're new to the instance, people will be more forgiving(hopefully).

Alcoori

Bisnic said:
The warrior was probably some dude in full heirloom gear(gear that you buy with your lvl 80 main and that scales with lvls and is usually better than blues) & with more WoW experience than you. Don't feel too bad about him doing better. Also don't feel bad when wipes happen, it's normal.(Even me who is very good at tanking with my warrior, let my group wiped in a heroic 5 man yesterday D: It was the hardest one though lol) If you mention before the run that you're new to the instance, people will be more forgiving(hopefully).

I actually inspected his stuff, he was full green/blue like I was :D
We didn't wipe of had trouble before the fight, so I do tend to think that was just to speed up the instance because we indeed went through it pretty fast.

Plus, if people ragequit because of the wipe, honestly their loss. I can find a group in less than 2mins!

firex

markot said:
Some pallies are just terrible and dont know how to keep their mana up >_< But it is kinda silly that its mana restricted, and they give you so many moves to replenish it...

Id like pallies to have no mana at all, kinda copy the style of pallies in warhammer. (Despite the awful of that game, the melee to heal stuff was a nice change to just standing back)
I mainly don't mind it because I've seriously never had major mana issues. When glyphed (which you probably want to do anyway, since it's one of the better prot glyphs) divine plea is always up just for damage reduction, but it's easy to keep up as well. As long as I have threat, I'm getting heals, so my mana again stays high. And then if I really need mana badly I can also use arcane torrent or a super mana pot. It's been like the opposite of any rage issues warrior tanks tend to have for me. As I got better gear on my pally I'd get more mana due to more block/parry/dodge, too.

Plus I don't trust blizzard to come up with a mechanic for paladins that isn't just runic power/rage with a holy name. Although, if there's any healer they could make into a melee healer, it would be paladins and that would possibly make me interested in playing holy again (probably not because I like healers with more options and it sounds like pally in general is getting straight up nerfed in cataclysm).

firex

Retro said:
I realize this is a WoW thread, but in general we kind of discuss MMOs overall in here, so... I'm not trolling, but... um... Holy Shitballs...

http://attackofthefanboy.com/videos/star-wars-republic-e3-trailer-hope/

Even more impressive than last year's video. Too bad the game won't play anything like that.
I want to believe it will =p
I wish the actual game would play something like that. They need to show more classes than what they showed last year... Smuggler, Sith warrior and Bounty hunter actually looked crappy in their videos. Which sucked because Bounty hunter was basically Boba Fett and smuggler was basically Han Solo. But I want to see some kind of heavy weapons guy like that trailer shows off.

Sciz

So, something interesting came up in one of those interviews MMOC posted:

Gameplanet: Can we expect other classic instances to get that kind of treatment as well, for example Stratholme?

Stockton: Yeah, we’re looking at that. We actually have a list of old dungeons that are the highest candidates to actually do revamps for. Stratholme’s on that list, Scholomance and Diremaul are there – there are a couple of others that players also really, really liked. So [revamping] those instances are things for when there’s a patch, a gap, and there’s time for us to do it, that’s what we’d fill it with, rather than making entirely new content. We’d probably take something like Stratholme, make it into a level 85 dungeon, give it all new boss fights – not just tuning up the stats on existing bosses – we want it to make sense, because otherwise that’s not very different for the player. Even if you’re going through there with your new class or whatever, it has to feel different or else there’s no reason for us to do it.
Sounds like Deadmines and SFK are going to be more than just the old mobs with scaled levels.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sciz said:
So, something interesting came up in one of those interviews MMOC posted:

Sounds like Deadmines and SFK are going to be more than just the old mobs with scaled levels.
The one thing that worries me is that there are already a lot of things with Cataclysm to be disappointed with. The big "dagger" is going to come when people realize the leveling experience is probably mostly identical with a few more quests here and there.

Blizzard said:
The amount of gear in the 25 person raids will be roughly equivalent on per-person basis to the 10 person raids. One thing to keep in mind it that we don't plan to allow players to upshift from 10s to 25s, only downshift from 25s to 10s on a given week.
Now, there's literally no reason to do 25 mans. They might as well stop designing them at this point, honestly. The only bonus you get now are more of those badge points.

Angry Grimace said:
Now, there's literally no reason to do 25 mans. They might as well stop designing them at this point, honestly. The only bonus you get now are more of those badge points.
Hopefully they can stop making the dungeon rooms airplane hangers as well.

gillty

Banned
Alex said:
RealID seems dumb. What's wrong with just making a Battle.net username and using that for cross game.
what is the difference....

RealID is great cross-game chat for the people you trust, dont trust someone add them as a regular friend...

firex

I saw that about revamping other instances, but they also mentioned updating classic instances like WC, Dire Maul and Scholomance. I think they're going to change those just so they reflect the new levels of the zones, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chriswok said:
Really deflated towards the Expansion pack now, think I've finally hit the level cap of boredom towards WoW in general.
I have a certain level of "Fuck this" going too.

There's really nothing about Cataclsym that makes me say "This isn't more of the same shit we've been served for 5 years."

zugzug

That AQ quest chain, and world event sure scared the smack out of blizzard. Since then its been nothing but simple stuff, the outcry from the zombie invasion again scared them into simple stuff.

Angry Grimace

I'm pretty likely to cancel my account soon (although I've cancelled a lot before)

Unless I get wowed soon, I'm not even sure how interested I am in coming back for Cataclysm. Seriously, this isn't doing anything for me.

Even if KOTOR or FF14 are technically worse games, at least you have the "new" factor.

Angry Grimace

Belfast said:
I think you'll be surprised about the amount of new content in the game, including old world quests.
It's not even just that. I don't think anything is going to bring back the magic. I think the game might have just overstayed it's welcome in general for me.

zugzug

Angry Grimace said:
It's not even just that. I don't think anything is going to bring back the magic. I think the game might have just overstayed it's welcome in general for me.

Is it because Blizzard has failed to build an online community. To expand and manage the game in a manner that made the world seem to have a community. To which your actions impact the community of the server you are on?

Touchdown

Banned
So I go to log in today and my password didn't work. :( So i go to change my password and the world of warcraft account page was under construction yaaaaay :( so then many hours later I am able to change my password and login and realize that chat has been suspended on my account. what the heck happened?

firex

Does it say why? I would beware of any kind of keyloggers. Maybe they didn't steal your account, but just used it to advertise a gold site and people reported you in chat.

Angry Grimace

zugzug said:
Is it because Blizzard has failed to build an online community. To expand and manage the game in a manner that made the world seem to have a community. To which your actions impact the community of the server you are on?
What?

Cipherr

zugzug said:

Its because the game is old. Its still the same game at its core, nothing they do can change that. Now Im not saying theres a limit to creativity or anything. But eventually I will be done also. Shit Im getting close now. I freaking beta tested, it must be going on 6 or so years PLUS by now that Ive been playing the game. No matter how much cool shit they add, as a gamer I will eventually move on, even if its to an 'inferior' game, just for the sake of newness. Ill just find the next best mmo that will be decent enough to play.

Theres no much they can do about that other than hope that when Im done with WoW the next game I choose is D3, outside of that its out of their hands. Stuff gets old, it happens, its not necessarily a blight on them IMO.

The Maelstrom.

1276690784.jpg

Deathwing Human Form

1276750695.jpg

Troll Bear!

1276679471.jpg

Worgen Bears! (Updated)

1276742026.jpg

Weenerz

Banned
Deathwing human form looks badass, I guess they aren't going to have him as his novel form. Well kept, very worried about personal appearance.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:

I think many of us are burnt out. We got Saurfang HM down tonight and I was basically just thinking to myself "great". Blizzard is taking far to long to keep the content rolling out to keep it fresh. For a dev of their size, and financial resources, you'd think they'd crank out content faster than they are now. Not to mention the main raid, ICC, didn't feel climactic at all. Ulduar was the best we got this xpac I think.

Arena is shit because balance is out the window for many classes/comps. BG's are tired. Gear and encounters were pretty boring in ICC/ToC. Worst part is, new content is feeling so far away, and they just have OS 2.0 to hold people over.

I love MMO's, they eat up a lot of my wtf to do with myself time after I did the essentials of my day. I'd like to get into a different one but I just can't as Blizzard's WoW has the best game play around. I played the others and they just don't flow, feel unresponsive, and clunky. Plus their content rate is either more limited, or further apart even most of the time. Maybe Star Wars of FFXIV will be a great break for you, they maybe for me too.

I think Blizzard knows this now too. I think we'll be hearing about their "next-gen" mmo sooner than people think, as WoW really looks long in the tooth. What they learned from WoW should make their next MMO amazing though on day one.

Dina

Progression context really need to be looked after better, yes. Better paced. Ulduar was awesome, but also lasted a very long time. ToC was pretty bland and short and was more like 0,5 of a raid.

If Halion is supposed to tide me over until sep/oct/nov then I'm gonna cancel my sub the last three months until release.

PatzCU

So after taking basically everyone's advice to roll a DK over a hunter, I started the DK. I was having an absolute blast with it. I then started to get cold feet due to DKs not being the best on the damage meters in ICC (theoretically), and their downfalls in PVP. I figured alright I'll play my 61 Mage as they are balanced in PVP and are amazing DPS.

I've gotten the Mage to 64 and just can't take the frostbolt spam anymore. Fuck the haters, I'm going back to my DK. DK feels refreshing and dynamic in comparison.

As for all the discussion of people getting burnt out on WoW. I'm right there with you. As a very avid Arena player, I'm really getting fed up with the magical comps facerolling everyone else each season. I managed to get 2350 with a 5s team consisting of Hunter, Mage, Spriest, Ele Sham, and Holy Pal (me). Who would have thought putting 4 of the most insane pvp burst in the game into a 5s would create success. In any case, we are stuck because we don't have that magical comp to get a gladiator title.

I'm hoping the stat normalization, rated BGs, and new raiding setups breath new life into this game. I really wish above all else that another MMO would sweep me off my feet, but it's not looking good these days. Although I have a feeling Blizzard might be announcing their new MMO at BlizCon this year, and I can assure everyone that it will likely be mindblowing.

Alcoori

DK is a lot of fun, the tanking isn't spamming one key and the DPS neither. I'm having a really good time playing it and it really feels different from the hunter I used to play that was kinda spamming one comp and that's it.

I wish they would implement their "Epic" classes they were talking about a while ago. Like instead of gaining lvls you would chose a sub-class with a different leveling path. For example a paladin would have been able to become a DK or a Crusader or some shit like that, a warrior a Berserker or a Mage Hunter, etc.
Glyphes are kinda lame-o. They're not very exciting and I can't really see what they can do to them to make them so.

Retro

J-Rzez said:
I think many of us are burnt out.

Add me to that list too. I made a conscious decision after my last guild fell apart in the long dryspell between Naxx (which most of the guild had cleared when it was brand new before TBC) and Ulduar that I wouldn't raid anymore. The loot (replaced every content patch), Lore (interesting enough but often laughable) and gameplay (muddled by the game's core mechanics) aren't enough to get me to invest the time needed. Also, the community has really taken a turn for the worse, both because of Blizzard's choices (Cross-server LFG, badge farming, etc.) and the players themselves (Gearscore, elitism, etc.).

WoW as a whole just isn't really doing it for me anymore. I've pretty much decided Cataclysm is my last expansion, and I plan to approach it with a level of finality (not saving gold for future purchases, etc.). Basically, Cataclysm is my last hurrah in Azeroth, my chance to basically tread through the world again, take in the sights, and call it a day. Unless the genre changes in some really big ways, it will probably be the last MMO I spend any serious time in too.

Lumine

I'm gonna go ahead and resub to level my DK. I need some help on how to play and with basic rotations. Which is wierd as I never needed that for any other class, but hey. :lol
Not that I really had any problems questing (killing elites a few levels higher seems easy) or even tanking (had no aggro problems nor was I taking any huge hits as a dps/levelling spec.) However when DPSing in a group or just trying to find the most effective rotation I didn't seem to be so succesful. Not that I felt like I was doing bad either, but why settle for that when you know you should be doing so much better. :p

My DK
It's probably a terrible spec, but blood seemed to the most effective for levelling and the stuff I picked up in unholy was mostly for death grip and pale horse.
I've been looking at DK guides/builds but they're all aimed at lv80 which isn't very useful to me at the moment.

So anyone willing to help me out? As in, what rotation should I be using most of the time? Mine feels a bit too random to me. And should I pick up some other talents, perhaps a completely different build? Any other tips? :)

thanks in advance guys.

PatzCU

I have a DK spec pretty similar to yours except I didn't go into Unholy far enough to get On a Pale Horse. I think your basic rotation is going to be

IT->PS->Death Strike->Blood Strike->Blood Strike and then throw in Death Coils here and there as you need them. Although I usually just use the runic power to pull the next mob with Death Coil.

Anyway, that's the basic rotation until you get enough talent points for Heart Strike in which you follow the same rotation but hit Heart Strikes instead of Blood Strikes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lumine said:
My DK
So anyone willing to help me out? As in, what rotation should I be using most of the time? Mine feels a bit too random to me. And should I pick up some other talents, perhaps a completely different build? Any other tips? :)

thanks in advance guys.

First off, get glyphs now! Major ones id go with that build would be Glyph of Death Strike, Glyph of Death Coil (is nice when you fill out Sudden Doom).. the last major wont be open for a bit. The minors id get Raise Dead, Pestilence, Horn of Winter. Minors are kind of your call but Raise Dead for sure.

For the talents you have currently a standard rotation would look like this.. Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike (to be replaced by Heart Strike in a couple levels), BS, Death Strike (when talented and glyphed out this will do decent damage and heal you for a lot. It also hits Death Rune Mastery talent so that leads to..), BS, BS, BS, BS. After that you just repeat cycle. Remember to replace BS with HS once you get it.. HS has a Cleave-like function built into it. If you are fighting a group, you would change out your first BS/HS with Pestilence.. so the rotation would go IT, PS, Pest, HS, DS, BS, BS, BS, BS, repeat.

For rune dumps just use Death Coil for the time being. If you are doing any kind of PVP, make sure to get Unholy Blight in the Unholy tree otherwise your diseases will be dispelled almost immediately.

Its not important enough to retalent but when you get the spare points (after youve filled out to the end of Blood tree) make sure to grab Dark Conviction and Bloody Vengeance if you are going Blood DPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom