• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

water_wendi said:
i dont understand why Blizzard doesnt implement a moveable on-screen keyboard to enter in passwords. Seems like it would be an easy implementation to make hacking harder to do.
That wouldn't really make much of a difference. Those things just make people feel better without doing much to solve the problem.

Glyphs are poorly implemented, sure, but all trades are poorly implemented. Inscription is far ahead of pretty much everything. Everything else is merely competent for what they are.

I'd love for them to like uh... remove? Jewelcrafting. Something? Whatever. It's far too "gamey" and removed from anything else.

Xabora

water_wendi said:
i dont understand why Blizzard doesnt implement a moveable on-screen keyboard to enter in passwords. Seems like it would be an easy implementation to make hacking harder to do.
Blizzard actually coded a Security Pinwheel at one point for account security.

Alex

I'm going to be ignoring the personal bonuses in this post, like ring enchants, etc.

I think Jewelcrafting is pretty solid. So is Alchemy (alchemy is my fav, I always do alchemy). Enchanting is also great but they need to bring oils and shit back, what a stupid ass removal. Inscription has the makings of a good profession but it's very underutilized. All of the secondary professions are pretty great, at the moment.

Due to the nature of the game, the ones that really need help are Blacksmithing, Tailoring and Leatherworking. Crafted goodies that are worth a damn are very, very rare. It sounds like it might change a little with the new PvP sets and whatnot, but I really think they should probably just revamp or drastically change these in order to make them meaningful.

It'd probably take a new game for that though. You could get lots of use out of it though:

-Letting you augment visuals
-Pick some of your own stats
-A way for soloers to get gear and continue the game or for alts and new players to gear up to comfortably do heroics instead of walking in them in mixed greens and blues
-Unique tweaks to stats and abilities on them
-Or just the old fashioned "collected this metric fuck ton of impossible shit, and if you do, you will get a godlike item".

Get all of the generic little pieces off of there too. No one wants to make 15,000 doilies and mittens for the first chunk of their craft. Stacking consumables or other niceities and whatnot, ala Inscription, Alchemy, etc are the way to go.

Engineering is just... lost. It worked in vanilla but with the streamining and organizing and venue shifts, it just sunk into obscurity.

Blizzard focuses on the wrong kind of balancing, things where they'll outright wreck fun things before going after the real problems. Like you can't use this in arena, you can't use that in arena, we better nerf this item, etc. 99% of the games balance problems were because of arena, and it took sweeping portions of classes and professions with it.

I liked arena, I had Gladiator in Season 2, it was fun, but it got WAY too serious after Season 2. Like it or not, you cannot, period, have this kind of a system in an RPG, especially one that also has to be balanced for PvE and soloing and battlegrounds too.

I think balancing will ultimately be better because of the shift to rated BGs.Hopefully that will let them help the professions and return some cool shit to them. I remember using like a zillion grenades back in the day on my Engineering Mage.

firex

I like alchemy a lot too. It's fun to level even if it's not always profitable, and even when I make elixirs I don't need on my mage, I can mail them to my shaman or warrior.

Some of those smithing/tailor/leatherworker changes (stat adjustments, better progression for crafting) are supposed to be coming to crafting in Cataclysm and I don't think that's something that will get taken out. It's a simple enough adjustment to make and the last thing they want to do is improve the character leveling experience and not improve the crafting leveling experience.

Inscription sucks, and I say this as someone leveling inscription on my warrior alt. It doesn't get to make good scrolls once you get to Northrend levels, and glyphs are so terribly designed right now that leveling is basically throwing money away crafting glyphs you will have to vendor until you get to the few that are crucial for builds. Or you can farm mats for offhands no one will ever buy, that can't be disenchanted. It's just tedious to level up. Besides, if you want to argue JC is too "game" because it creates items that fill sockets, what does that make Inscription? It does the same shit only it's got less options instead of more.

JC is really not bad at all. It just needs to focus less on gems (which I think they can do by stat simplification/color rebalancing in Cataclysm) and giving it some better neck/ring/trinket options as a personal perk.

I would easily put Inscription behind JC and Alchemy for professions, mainly because it becomes out of whack to build up once you get to Northrend levels and produces nothing of value. It's better than tailor/engy/lw/bs but those are the ones that need the most improvement anyway.

JC isn't bad, it's just mindless. The entire concept offers pathetically small incremental stat increases, and that's it. There's no reason to even care about it outside of the very game stat breakdown stuff. The way they handled Inscription in Northrend is assinine, sure, but at least it's unique. It could always have been handled better, but just the fact that they could take something as involved as Path and say "gee, this is kinda like inscription" speaks magnitudes to how worthwhile it is.

Alex

Man, most of the music in Icecrown are Brower pieces? The fucking major dungeon I miss of course is filled with awesome, actual good music.

Uelman is great on Diablo, but in WoW I want that swelling orchestra melody. Not so much ambiance.

The Sindragosa song is especially awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqkTiq0K8l0). Oh well, hopefully there's some rad new pieces in Cataclysm.

Swag

CassSept said:
"Suffer mortals as your pathetic magic betrays you" yell:lol It's the "In the mountains" of ICC!

Greatest line ever, wiping on the heroic mode of that fight is only tolerable because I get to hear that.

Love BQL / Putricide / Marrowgar as well.

Tacitus_

There is music in WoW? I've played with sounds off after like level 10.

Also MMO-Champion has new interviews up.

• Reforging will be done by NPCs in cities, it will let you reduce a secondary stat by 40% and put those points into a different stat. Secondary stats are pretty much any "rating" stats, you cannot reforge primary stats such as Strength, Stamina, Intellect, etc ... The cost of reforging will be the vendor cost of the item, it can be done on any item from green to purple.
  • Heroic Shadowfang Keep and Heroic Deadmines should be shipped in Patch 4.1
  • The CoT: War of the Ancients raid will be introduced between Patch 4.1 and 4.3

So there goes the Blacksmithing perk. Oh well.

markot

Banned
Wow has some of the best music out there >_< If you play without it, you are a Dumbo McCrumbo! (Unless you have heard it all 4000000 times before, so like after youve finished zones and what nots >.>)

Alex

All the Russell Brower music is pretty great. If you never got to hear em', you should try to google/youtube that name and listen to all his tracks at least once. Good stuff.

He came on board with Burning Crusade, I think? The Sunwell and Grizzly Hills suites are my favorites from him. Culling of Stratholme, Silvermoon/Eversong are also rad, he also does those gigantic title suites. Hopefully we get the Cataclysm one soon!

Most of this Icecrown stuff also seems fantastic, it's a shame I missed it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jJtySnwpA

i really like that Sindragosa track though, it reminds me of some of the bits like in Silvermoon or Sunwell, where it almost doesnt sound modern, the way the brass is done or some such. Kind of an old film vibe.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
People who turn off the music don't know how much awesome music they are missing, especially at later lvls.

Sucks to be them. :lol

Alex

What the fuck I do not remember Yogg Saron having music. What the hell?

I sent the link to a friend, same response. :lol Was this patched in in 3.2 or something? I think we quit right as 3.2 was going up. I always leave my music on for the first few times of any new boss or area.

CassSept

You don't know what you've missed on!
Reaching phase 3 for the first time, when info on the fight were still scarce (before any guild released their kill movie), this music kicking in = bliss. The best single moment of WotLK, in huge part due to the amazing music.

Reforging will be done by NPCs in cities, it will let you reduce a secondary stat by 40% and put those points into a different stat. Secondary stats are pretty much any "rating" stats, you cannot reforge primary stats such as Strength, Stamina, Intellect, etc ... The cost of reforging will be the vendor cost of the item, it can be done on any item from green to purple.
Ah crap. Here goes my excuse for keeping LW over skilling engi:lol

Alex

Yogg Saron was a really good boss, I liked it a lot and knocking down stage 3 would've certainly felt better if my music had worked :lol

I think C'thun is the better of the two though. C'thun is like the only part of vanilla raiding I'll still give props, though Nefarion is also still fun (but never really that hard once Bug Wing Lair was cleaned up)

I hate praising C'thun though, because I always feel like it lumps me in with those "OH MAN VANILLA WOW WAS SO MUCH BETTER, ITS ALL EASY AND SHIT NOW" retard brigades who usually just consist of MC and BWL heroes who will tell you "hard modes dont count"

I really hate everything Vanilla WoW was about, all of the lackign elements, all of the MASSIVE time sinks on everything. The raddest part of Vanilla WoW was that arenas didnt exist.

Rapstah

If we assume that there's another "Old God" boss in Cataclysm, will it be C'Thun again (the whole ogre warlock dude lore), Yogg-Saron again (since it's basically confirmed in the Lich King cinematic that the Terenas ghost is at least partially Yogg-Saron) or a completely new boss? There's only so much you can do with a huge slimy boss in the middle of a room and having to enter the boss to weaken it from time to time.

CassSept

since it's basically confirmed in the Lich King cinematic that the Terenas ghost is at least partially Yogg-Saron
You mean him using YS's words "no kings rule forever"?
I thought it's simply a reference. A poetic reference that fulfills, ummm, prophecy? that we saw during one of the visions.
We knew how the other two visions ended and these words were simply to end WotLK arc of the Warcraft story. I wouldn't read too much into it, I think it was there just to please those who progressed throughout WotLK content:D

Well, I'm not sure how it was with C'thun, but YS seems to be killed once and for good. Then again, same can be said for many characters who had already returned before :lol

What we know for sure from the alpha leaks is that the huge skeleton in Darkshore is confirmed to belong to an Old God and that it has been named. I wouldn't be surprised if we fought Old God responsible for Deathwing's corruption though.

Rapstah

CassSept said:
You mean him using YS's words "no kings rule forever"?
I thought it's simply a reference. A poetic reference that fulfills, ummm, prophecy? that we saw during one of the visions.
We knew how the other two visions ended and these words were simply to end WotLK arc of the Warcraft story. I wouldn't read too much into it, I think it was there just to please those who progressed throughout WotLK content:D
Ulduar was merely a setback! Did you honestly believe I would trust the future to some face-less faceless ones? Hahahaha... Oh no, no, no, they were merely instruments, a stepping stone to a much larger plan! It has all led to this... and this time, you will not interfere!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Bisnic said:
People who turn off the music don't know how much awesome music they are missing, especially at later lvls.

I turned off music and listened to itunes just because I've listened to vanilla wow BGM for 6 years now.. when I got to WOTLK I got through Vengeance Landing and Howling Fjord before someone said "You guys really should have music on for WOTLK". Needless to say, I've kept it on ever since and I agree.. though I just did Forge of Souls for the first time last night, and Bronjahm's music is fucking awful. I am assuming it's supposed to be a joke or something.

Meier

Bisnic said:

I don't typically play with sound since it's in the same rooma s our TV and I'd interfere, but I've done it a few times where it's just me home and damn, the music is pretty epic. I was impressed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
borghe said:
I turned off music and listened to itunes just because I've listened to vanilla wow BGM for 6 years now.. when I got to WOTLK I got through Vengeance Landing and Howling Fjord before someone said "You guys really should have music on for WOTLK". Needless to say, I've kept it on ever since and I agree.. though I just did Forge of Souls for the first time last night, and Bronjahm's music is fucking awful. I am assuming it's supposed to be a joke or something.

The music in Halls of Reflection for the final boss is pretty epic, but you probably didn't hear it yet since you gotta do Pit of Saron before and you only just did Forge of Souls for the 1st time.

But i agree for the Bronjahm music, the 1st time i heard that, i was all "WTF, did i started some youtube video in the background by accident?".

CassSept

I actually have music (/headphones) on when exploring new content, raiding, or just talking on vt and I've somehow never had them on when clearing Forge of Souls.
As such, I didn't hear Bronjham music until today.
What the hell :lol Reading wowwiki it seems the whole boss is one big reference to James Brown, but I've completely didn't expect that:lol

Magnus

It's basically impossible to keep the in-game music blaring while trying a new boss in a raid. I don't know how you'd concentrate with trumpets and shit sounding off every 4 seconds.

I keep sound effects on so I can have some aural awareness of what's going on in the game, but I have to keep my ears peeled for Vent above all else.

I definitely have the music on at all times during the first couple of weeks of an expansion though, and just let myself get immersed in exploring new areas.

I can't wait to do the same for all of Azeroth again come Cataclysm.

notworksafe

Eh, recent history shows that Bioware can't make good gear to save their lives so that already makes me much less interested in their MMO.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Retro said:
I realize this is a WoW thread, but in general we kind of discuss MMOs overall in here, so... I'm not trolling, but... um... Holy Shitballs...

http://attackofthefanboy.com/videos/star-wars-republic-e3-trailer-hope/

Even more impressive than last year's video. Too bad the game won't play anything like that.
I want to believe it will =p

Pretty... but I would prefer footage that will be in the game. I couldn't care less about the movie.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm willing to try any other MMO pretty much at least once, but nobody since WoW's release has shown themselves as able to make something that not only taps into WoW's audience, but makes them want to play it over WoW, as well as follows through with continuously solid gameplay, content, and technical support.

Bioware arguable has the best shot but I'm not holding my breath (especially because one their touted features is the sheer amount of spoken dialogue, which I don't much care for in an MMO if it's as pervasive as I think it is).

J-Rzez

Tacitus_ said:
There is music in WoW? I've played with sounds off after like level 10.

Also MMO-Champion has new interviews up.

• Reforging will be done by NPCs in cities, it will let you reduce a secondary stat by 40% and put those points into a different stat. Secondary stats are pretty much any "rating" stats, you cannot reforge primary stats such as Strength, Stamina, Intellect, etc ... The cost of reforging will be the vendor cost of the item, it can be done on any item from green to purple.
  • Heroic Shadowfang Keep and Heroic Deadmines should be shipped in Patch 4.1
  • The CoT: War of the Ancients raid will be introduced between Patch 4.1 and 4.3

So there goes the Blacksmithing perk. Oh well.

I had the music off forever and a day. I'll turn it on for the first time somewhere, usually it's shut off within 5mins. It gets repetitive really fast. While there are some tracks that are diamonds in the rough, there's just a lot of rough, not so much diamonds. They need to pick it up in this department for sure. For me it's that there's two or three memorable tracks, but that's about it.

That's stupid with the Reforging. I always thought that should be done by BS. Or at least in this system, if you're a BS you should be able to do this to your own gear.

Heh, they have patch lists already.

FLEABttn said:
I'm willing to try any other MMO pretty much at least once, but nobody since WoW's release has shown themselves as able to make something that not only taps into WoW's audience, but makes them want to play it over WoW, as well as follows through with continuously solid gameplay, content, and technical support.

Bioware arguable has the best shot but I'm not holding my breath (especially because one their touted features is the sheer amount of spoken dialogue, which I don't much care for in an MMO if it's as pervasive as I think it is).

I just had this discussion the other day. WoW is so successful due to it's support, and more importantly, it's game play. No other MMO's game play can match WoW for whatever reason. It's pretty seamless.

Bioware has a honest shot due to the name, not sure about the PVP stuff, and more importantly we'll have to see how the game play pans out.

Another dev that I think has "a shot" at whittling away some of WoW's players is SE with their new FFonline. If they learned from their mistakes from XI, I think they have a good shot to be pretty successful.

CassSept

J-Rzez said:
That's stupid with the Reforging. I always thought that should be done by BS. Or at least in this system, if you're a BS you should be able to do this to your own gear.
Originally it was supposed to be done by corresponding professions - tailors cloth items, LWs leather and mail, BS plate, JC necks and rings. Would've made sense, right?
Now that's just stupid, they probably didn't want Reforging to throw professions balance off.

FLEABttn

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I just had this discussion the other day. WoW is so successful due to it's support, and more importantly, it's game play. No other MMO's game play can match WoW for whatever reason. It's pretty seamless.

Which more or less kills my interest on any other MMO. All others I've ever tried have been clunky in some way as far as gameplay goes. I think the most I've enjoyed any other MMO was Conan and I was done once I hit 42 or 43 because of a sheer lack of content.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CassSept said:
Originally it was supposed to be done by corresponding professions - tailors cloth items, LWs leather and mail, BS plate, JC necks and rings. Would've made sense, right?
Now that's just stupid, they probably didn't want Reforging to throw professions balance off.
Plus engi was to do trinks.

I can't imagine how anybody thought it would stay that way; the balance between crafting professions and non-crafting professions would have been ridiculous to say the least, and even more exaggerated by the fact that the bonuses for crafting professions already blow the gathering professions out of the water.

CassSept

Angry Grimace said:
Plus engi was to do trinks.

I can't imagine how anybody thought it would stay that way; the balance between crafting professions and non-crafting professions would have been ridiculous to say the least, and even more exaggerated by the fact that the bonuses for crafting professions already blow the gathering professions out of the water.
Well they are, theoretically, supposed to be the prime source of income. That's why their respective buffs are weaker than of crafting professions.
Reforging though would leave inscription and alchemy fucked. And alchemy already sucks, it's much much harder to find an alchemist than it was in TBC :/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CassSept said:
Well they are, theoretically, supposed to be the prime source of income. That's why their respective buffs are weaker than of crafting professions.
Reforging though would leave inscription and alchemy fucked. And alchemy already sucks, it's much much harder to find an alchemist than it was in TBC :/
Alchemy is my primary money-maker with Epic gem transmutes.

J-Rzez

CassSept said:

Yeah, I remember that too now. I was just thinking about the weapons stuff going to BS as well. They probably didn't want to throw off balancing like you said as BS would be able to deal with two aspects. They should have kept that system, then given enchanters/inscriptionists the abilities to do MH weapons/OH weapons respectively to help balance it out. Instead, they scraped another initial plan unfortunately.

CassSept

Angry Grimace said:
Alchemy is my primary money-maker with Epic gem transmutes.
That's why I've said theoretically :) JC is a great source of income, I've made myself the motorcycle mount from the money I've gotten from doing JC dailies at the beginning of WotLK alone (Dragon's Eyes were going on AH for over 500g). It's still pretty great, you can make lots of gold from prospecting titanium ore.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Rapstah said:
If we assume that there's another "Old God" boss in Cataclysm, will it be C'Thun again (the whole ogre warlock dude lore), Yogg-Saron again (since it's basically confirmed in the Lich King cinematic that the Terenas ghost is at least partially Yogg-Saron) or a completely new boss? There's only so much you can do with a huge slimy boss in the middle of a room and having to enter the boss to weaken it from time to time.

What part of your ass did you pull that one out of?

Narag

LAUGHTREY said:
What part of your ass did you pull that one out of?

I've read speculation on that too and I think it centers around this:
Wowwiki said:
During this third vision, Yogg-Saron's voice is heard to proclaim: "He will learn-- no king rules forever! Only death is eternal!", a prophecy of the Old God that would come to pass with Arthas' defeat by the Ashen Verdict, and which is eerily repeated by the spirit of king Terenas Menethil II as his final words to his dying son.

Arsin

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice. My guild is going through a bit of a shift right now and we are in need of a guild hosting site. What do you guys use? Thanks for the advice ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom