• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bregor

Burn out can be very hard to avoid. My guild just reached 11/12 hard modes in ICC, but rather than dive directly into HLK 25 I made the decision instead to give them a week off, and go for achievements for drakes instead. They are enjoying it immensely (most of the achievements are far easier than hard modes) and they will get a great mount out of it. Even though we raid a relatively lite schedule (9 hours per week), I fully expect that sometime in the next two months (of wiping to HLK 25) it will be best to give them another week of. Pushing hard for progression is all well and good, but pointless if you drive away your guild members in the process (especially if they happen to be your friends).

Retro said:
Add me to that list too. I made a conscious decision after my last guild fell apart in the long dryspell between Naxx (which most of the guild had cleared when it was brand new before TBC) and Ulduar that I wouldn't raid anymore. The loot (replaced every content patch), Lore (interesting enough but often laughable) and gameplay (muddled by the game's core mechanics) aren't enough to get me to invest the time needed. Also, the community has really taken a turn for the worse, both because of Blizzard's choices (Cross-server LFG, badge farming, etc.) and the players themselves (Gearscore, elitism, etc.).

WoW as a whole just isn't really doing it for me anymore. I've pretty much decided Cataclysm is my last expansion, and I plan to approach it with a level of finality (not saving gold for future purchases, etc.). Basically, Cataclysm is my last hurrah in Azeroth, my chance to basically tread through the world again, take in the sights, and call it a day. Unless the genre changes in some really big ways, it will probably be the last MMO I spend any serious time in too.

Think I'm going to join you on that one, if I actually get the expansion pack. Someone mentioned it earlier that they've never matched the greatness of the AQ opening and I think thats what I'm mostly disappointed with.

Rapstah

I'm getting a 24" 1920*1080 screen the week after next week, how does WoW work on (very) high-res screens? I guess I'll have more room to fill with UI stuff etc.?

JesseZao said:
So are they going to let you fly across the sea then? or will you get fatigue?

World of Raids said:
Deathwing ruptured out through a tower in the middle of Deepholm and entered Azeroth through the Maelstrom, according to Alex Afrasiabi. It looks like Blizzard changed their mind since BlizzCon.

It sounds like the Maelstrom is going to be used as the entrance portal to Deepholm instead of somewhere between Dun Morogh and Wetlands.

Swag

Rapstah said:
I'm getting a 24" 1920*1080 screen the week after next week, how does WoW work on (very) high-res screens? I guess I'll have more room to fill with UI stuff etc.?

You'll have more room for UI stuff yeah, and everything will look bigger and better

J-Rzez

Retro said:
Add me to that list too. I made a conscious decision after my last guild fell apart in the long dryspell between Naxx (which most of the guild had cleared when it was brand new before TBC) and Ulduar that I wouldn't raid anymore. The loot (replaced every content patch), Lore (interesting enough but often laughable) and gameplay (muddled by the game's core mechanics) aren't enough to get me to invest the time needed. Also, the community has really taken a turn for the worse, both because of Blizzard's choices (Cross-server LFG, badge farming, etc.) and the players themselves (Gearscore, elitism, etc.).

WoW as a whole just isn't really doing it for me anymore. I've pretty much decided Cataclysm is my last expansion, and I plan to approach it with a level of finality (not saving gold for future purchases, etc.). Basically, Cataclysm is my last hurrah in Azeroth, my chance to basically tread through the world again, take in the sights, and call it a day. Unless the genre changes in some really big ways, it will probably be the last MMO I spend any serious time in too.

I agree especially with the community aspect. I thought my realm was horrible, but it seems it's this bad everywhere. Look at the official forums, those are the people that are even more vocal in game. Worse yet, there's people even more annoying/terrible than those people. This game has the worst community I have ever experienced in any online game. Far worse than the Halo/CoD/etc crowd. And when a game relies on a community to thrive, well you get the gist. I have met some great people though, in which I enjoy playing with, and actually play different games with, but the vast number of idiots in this game really crushes it.

I love MMO's. Such great bang for the buck. I'll continue to look for a new one that can get me interested in it and rekindle that flame that WoW had at one point. Cata at this point is a mixed bag for me. Some great changes, some bad, some great changes/content removed already, before beta at that. And even then, who knows how long it'll be until Cata is out. Right now the game/content is going to be on a one/two week life-support with OS 2.0, that will not hold over until Oct, let alone Nov/Dec in which I'm getting a feeling it may end up being at this moment.

Rapstah said:

I recently grabbed a Samsung PX2370, and it certainly brightened and livened up the visuals of the game. But, at the same time it also exposed some of it's glaring flaws, and you can tell how badly the game has aged. If you mod the scale of your UI, you can shrink it down and still be able to see it well enough, while the rest of the game is in a larger scale.

ampere

HarryDemeanor said:
The Maelstrom.

http://img.fluxflashor.net/uploads/1276690784.jpg[IMG]

Deathwing Human Form

[IMG]http://img.fluxflashor.net/uploads/1276750695.jpg[IMG]

Troll Bear!

[IMG]http://img.fluxflashor.net/uploads/1276679471.jpg[IMG]

Worgen Bears! (Updated)

[IMG]http://img.fluxflashor.net/uploads/1276742026.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I saw the Blizz art for Deathwing's human form but wow, that looks fantastic. And the Maelstrom, amazing! It's also pretty cool that the new druid races get their own bear form skins. Maybe we'll see an update to travel form and aquatic form as well :D

[QUOTE=HarryDemeanor]Best expansion ever!

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVDreklY_PE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVDreklY_PE[/URL]
:lol :lol :lol :lol[/QUOTE]
What did I just spend a minute listening to :lol :lol

Meier

Slowly but surely getting slightly better gear. Still a ways to go though.. really need that bow from Heroic Pit of Saron. Not really sure how "gear scores" (ugh) are calculated but I know mine still sucks. :lol

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lothar&n=Meier

I'm trying to get all Purple (so I don't get laughed at...wow, some people are jackasses about this sort of thing) before I try and get in a PUG for the 10-25 man raids but it seems like it isn't entirely necessary from what I hear.

Meier said:
Slowly but surely getting slightly better gear. Still a ways to go though.. really need that bow from Heroic Pit of Saron. Not really sure how "gear scores" (ugh) are calculated but I know mine still sucks. :lol

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lothar&n=Meier

I'm trying to get all Purple (so I don't get laughed at...wow, some people are jackasses about this sort of thing) before I try and get in a PUG for the 10-25 man raids but it seems like it isn't entirely necessary from what I hear.

Since you're 80 now, I'd say that you should probably respec to survival. Also, gem exclusively for agility (and hit if you're below the cap, unless the agility bonus is really good, like +8 or more). Gemming for stamina is kind of useless for a hunter.

Arsin

Okay Gaf, first thanks for your help with the guild hosting suggestions. We are really happy with how things are looking on our site now ^_^. Another problem has come up in the past week during this transition, loot distribution. Right now we are running a loot council, but it is taking far to long to distribute loot and is a lot more work than it really should be. What systems do you guys use? We would like to have a system the encourages attendance, but would like to stay away from DKP if possible. We would also like to have separate tables for different kinds of items: weapons, tier tokens, trinkets, etc. Thanks for any advice that you guys can give us ^_^.

Entropia

No One Remembers
To perhaps speed up the process do this:
Link an item
If the people are interested in it, have them say "interest [item]" where [item] would be the item that they are going to be replacing. This'll prevent a bunch of chatter and then 3 minutes later "Hey you and you link what you're replacing".

Aside from a DKP type system, that'll be the only way to speed up the process.

Arsin

Entropia said:
Link an item
If the people are interested in it, have them say "interest [item]" where [item] would be the item that they are going to be replacing. This'll prevent a bunch of chatter and then 3 minutes later "Hey you and you link what you're replacing".

Yeah that should help quite a bit. Right now it is just the people on the loot council looking at who is wearing what. Getting rid of that step should make things go much faster.

Entropia said:

Well it seems some of the other officers are talking about Suicide Kings or a system called Spend-all DKP. So I guess they are not totally opposed to the idea of DKP, we just don't want people to hoard points and have any newer players get passed up for weeks on end.

notworksafe

Arsin said:
Okay Gaf, first thanks for your help with the guild hosting suggestions. We are really happy with how things are looking on our site now ^_^. Another problem has come up in the past week during this transition, loot distribution. Right now we are running a loot council, but it is taking far to long to distribute loot and is a lot more work than it really should be. What systems do you guys use? We would like to have a system the encourages attendance, but would like to stay away from DKP if possible. We would also like to have separate tables for different kinds of items: weapons, tier tokens, trinkets, etc. Thanks for any advice that you guys can give us ^_^.
We just do straight rolls in my guild. Everyone is pretty comparable in gear but if some people need a drop they just roll on it. If someone needs the upgrade much more then someone else they just get it. Everyone in my raid is pretty laid back and we've been raiding together for a while so perhaps that may not work for you. I've just found that a loot council always leads to hurt feelings and resentment so it maybe be hard to work that out. As far as encouraging attendance, people know that if you only get gear if you show up so we haven't had a problem. We've also had a pretty solid setup in our main raid and haven't changed a member in months, so we don't have much in the way of new people in that raid.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Arsin said:
Well it seems some of the other officers are talking about Suicide Kings or a system called Spend-all DKP. So I guess they are not totally opposed to the idea of DKP, we just don't want people to hoard points and have any newer players get passed up for weeks on end.

Yeah, my understanding of that is that when an item drops and you bid DKP you're bidding all your DKP and it goes to the person with the most DKP. It seems reasonable.

DarkJC

If you don't want people hoarding points, I'd say EP/GP is a cooler system than forcing people to just spend all their DKP on one item.

notworksafe

My problem with DKP is that it leads to hoarding. If a player has an item they really want they will skip over all other upgrades that they also need to get it. An equal sharing of gear makes sure the raid gets better as a whole.

Swag

Entropia said:
Link an item

This is an excellent way to do it, and makes sure people are getting a consistent stream of upgrades as opposed to just getting 1 significant upgrade. Just make sure when they're linking what they're upgrading have them do it in whispers and not raid chat, will make things smoother :lol

Arsin said:
We do loot council as well, as others have said have people link the item they're replacing, and only people that have been raiding for at least a week (sometimes two if they don't bring their A-game the first time around) are at a high enough rank to link. After that any gear that falls into off-spec can be free rolled as well as guild newbies.
Council also determines guild ranks and only certain guild ranks are allowed to roll on tier tokens.
We also choose a member at random (usually at the lowest rank that is allowed to link on loot) to sit on the loot council channel so that the process has some transparency

Open rolls. /roll 100 for main spec, /roll 99 for off-spec. If someone is steamrolling and getting a ton of purps, they get a cool-off period. No one new to the raid (first 2 weeks there) get a tier token. If someone has been jonesing for something for a while, they may get preference for the item, ala loot council.

I've been using that system since BC and the only real problems it causes are with loot drama whores, which you really don't want in your raid anyway.

Meier

Azwethinkweiz said:
Since you're 80 now, I'd say that you should probably respec to survival. Also, gem exclusively for agility (and hit if you're below the cap, unless the agility bonus is really good, like +8 or more). Gemming for stamina is kind of useless for a hunter.
I mainly did that to get the bonus but also so I could use the Meta gem on my helmet.. at the time, I needed a blue. Not sure if I have added one since other than that. Blue gems are decidedly non-Hunter friendly from what I saw on the AH.

I have heard once I get my unbuffed RAP to 4,000, I should switch to Marks but until then I am better off doing a different spec. I'm saving up my gold (outside of gemming and stuff) to get to 1,000 so I can unlock Dual Spec.

J-Rzez

Arsin said:

Open rolls. MS > OS. That's how we do it. If someone is really about a certain item they may get preference, but that's because others in my guild are not loot whores, and are cool people. Usually on tokens once someone gets two tokens, they're out of the running for a while, just so everyone gets a shot basically. These aren't rules, it's just something we ran with.

I've been in pugs where on trinkets, specifically: DBW/DC/DFO, the 3 or 4 highest DPS get to roll on them.

firex

Meier said:
I mainly did that to get the bonus but also so I could use the Meta gem on my helmet.. at the time, I needed a blue. Not sure if I have added one since other than that. Blue gems are decidedly non-Hunter friendly from what I saw on the AH.

I have heard once I get my unbuffed RAP to 4,000, I should switch to Marks but until then I am better off doing a different spec. I'm saving up my gold (outside of gemming and stuff) to get to 1,000 so I can unlock Dual Spec.
You can use purple or green gems to fill blue sockets for meta requirements. At least in Cataclysm you will be able to fill blue sockets with hit gems.

Unrelated, but, my shaman is sitting on a 4400ish GS (thanks to wtfismygearscore.com) in resto gear and this is his enhance gear, which mostly sucks. Funny thing is I keep getting enhance/elemental drops and winning them on greed rolls, although I did need on the belt and helm because I got them in a run where dungeon finder actually put me as DPS.

Oh and I know my totem sucks. I am not upgrading that shit until I have all the resto gear I want from triumph emblems. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&cn=Omgarsh

Xabora

notworksafe said:
My problem with DKP is that it leads to hoarding. If a player has an item they really want they will skip over all other upgrades that they also need to get it. An equal sharing of gear makes sure the raid gets better as a whole.
SK and a Percent based item cost works well to stop hording.

keeblerdrow said:
Open rolls. /roll 100 for main spec, /roll 99 for off-spec. If someone is steamrolling and getting a ton of purps, they get a cool-off period. No one new to the raid (first 2 weeks there) get a tier token. If someone has been jonesing for something for a while, they may get preference for the item, ala loot council.

I've been using that system since BC and the only real problems it causes are with loot drama whores, which you really don't want in your raid anyway.
That works too, right now in my guild we use nothing but Loot Council.

Alex

Rolling and if your guild isn't evil, loot council are the way to go

DKP is too much trouble, IMO, and is just as corruptible as anything else

firex

Meier said:
In this case, it's an item that needs replacing so I didn't want to plunk down 200g on a purple gem for it. I did put one that price into my hat though.
I mean purple as in the color of gem, not rarity. Just letting you know in case you run into a similar gemming problem later.

McNei1y

As I said before, I am going to be getting back into wow very soon. I am interested in buying a laptop though and currently have my eye set on one because mine is old.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BEDRVG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am curious if anyone could tell me if this laptop could run the game on high settings based on its stats. It would be a nice surprise if the laptop I was planning on buying could run it on high. I enjoy watching videos with the game on high settings. It looks awesome.

ampere

McNei1y said:
As I said before, I am going to be getting back into wow very soon. I am interested in buying a laptop though and currently have my eye set on one because mine is old.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BEDRVG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am curious if anyone could tell me if this laptop could run the game on high settings based on its stats. It would be a nice surprise if the laptop I was planning on buying could run it on high. I enjoy watching videos with the game on high settings. It looks awesome.
My experience with laptop gaming (wow included) involved relatively frequent overheating and auto-shutdowns. It was on an Asus G1S and I was so fed up with it that I've sworn off laptops for gaming. I would be in a raid and out of nowhere the fans would speed up and bam, the thing turns off. Maybe I had bad luck with that model but I've heard of many similar problems when I googled the issue. Laptops just don't have great airflow and room for heat dissipation.

McNei1y

ciaossu said:
My experience with laptop gaming (wow included) involved relatively frequent overheating and auto-shutdowns. It was on an Asus G1S and I was so fed up with it that I've sworn off laptops for gaming. I would be in a raid and out of nowhere the fans would speed up and bam, the thing turns off. Maybe I had bad luck with that model but I've heard of many similar problems when I googled the issue. Laptops just don't have great airflow and room for heat dissipation.

I can agree with this. I have an acer currently and it as well would heat up. Fans became louder as I ran into larger areas (like Dalaran) but it rarely shuts off. Id like to get a desktop but I don't think I'd make much use of one until I get settled down permanently.

DarkJC

ciaossu said:

I have the exact same laptop and am convinced it is the lemon of the ASUS lineup. Not to mention it came with the 8600M line of video cards that had the notorious overheating issue that nvidia took forever to acknowledge (if they ever did at all).

I opened mine all the way up one day (almost fully disassembled) and found NO thermal paste on the GPU and some patchy dried out paste on the CPU. Proper application of some Arctic Silver and I can game no problem now. No slowdowns, no shutdowns. The computer does still get hot near the physical location of the CPU and GPU but performance in wow is quite good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ciaossu said:
I had the same issues with the laptop (along with a myriad of others) and I probably would never buy another laptop with any intention of gaming on it.

I actually had so many problems and got so mad at them that they sent me a newer model. I think it's worth saying though that the newer Asus laptop I have has run incredibly smoothly other than the shift key falling off.

firex

So am I the only resto shaman itt or does anybody have some glyph advice? I don't really like LHW glyph anymore and might be able to drop water mastery, but luckily EJ is an unorganized clusterfuck and asking that question would result in "U DIDNT READ THE THINKTANK U BANNED."

Swag

firex said:
So am I the only resto shaman itt or does anybody have some glyph advice? I don't really like LHW glyph anymore and might be able to drop water mastery, but luckily EJ is an unorganized clusterfuck and asking that question would result in "U DIDNT READ THE THINKTANK U BANNED."

Tankspot > EJ in my experience.

notworksafe

firex said:
Earth Shield is always required. The rest are more towards how you heal. I like Chain Heal and LHW but if you aren't doing any tank healing, then you can switch out LHW for Riptide. I'm not a big fan of Water Mastery either. It's a cool glyph, but a waste of a major slot IMO

firex

I might do earthliving glyph then. Riptide seems a little wasted since it already overheals any dps I use it on by the time the hot is finished, unless they fucked up and pulled major aggro (which I can fix just by using tidal waves on a LHW), and I already have ES and chain heal glyphs. Water mastery would probably be better as a medium glyph in Cataclysm. I just need to see what my mp5 is without WS, but I think I'm already over 400 without it.

Dina

Wow, just had something awful and sad happen to me in ICC25. So it's a pretty good pug, 5700gs+ and all that, and we've just killed precious and are at rotface. Until the MT Paladin's says.

P: Warrior, give me Precious's Ribbon.
W: Why? I looted it.
P: GIVE IT TO ME.
W: WHY?
P: I saw it in the loot window but I clicked it away, I won it give it to me I want it NOW!
W: No man, I won it and it's only a shirt, who cares.
P: Either the warrior leaves or I leave.
W: *laughs*

The Paladin, who was also the raid assistant kicks the Warrior, raid rage ensues. The raidleader then reinvites the warrior, paladin kicks him again, warrior aggroes rotface and he wipes us all.

Raid disband. End of night. All of that because of a greeny. The paladin was 25m Kingslayer too, whatever that means these days.

Meier

firex said:
I mean purple as in the color of gem, not rarity. Just letting you know in case you run into a similar gemming problem later.
Yeah, I'm not sure I looked very hard at the purple gems at the time. It looks like a Balanced Twilight Opal only runs for 10-15 gold so maybe I'll replace it with that when I get on next. In this case, when I mentioned spending 200g on a "purple" gem, I meant the Nightmare Tear. I won't buy one of those until I have a chest piece I don't expect to replace any time soon.

Dina said:
Wow, just had something awful and sad happen to me in ICC25. So it's a pretty good pug, 5700gs+ and all that, and we've just killed precious and are at rotface. Until the MT Paladin's says.

P: I saw it in the loot window but I clicked it away, I won it give it to me I want it NOW!

The Paladin, who was also the raid assistant kicks the Warrior, raid rage ensues. The raidleader then reinvites the warrior, paladin kicks him again, warrior aggroes rotface and he wipes us all.

Raid disband. End of night. All of that because of a greeny. The paladin was 25m Kingslayer too, whatever that means these days.

holy s**t! :O

J-Rzez

Dina said:

I am not surprised. Like we were saying before, this game has the worst community ever. Such a shit hole.

notworksafe

Dina said:

Wow, that's truly awful. Also why I recommend Area 52 to everyone (as long as you're horde). The PUGs there are better then some guilds I've been in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom