• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

markot said:
I really hate tanks that run to the next group of mobs while they still have some on them and theyre not all dead..... Its like... yeah, 1 more minute in an instance would be murder... jeeezz...

Tanking heroics is boring as shit. You do one rotation on a pack of mobs and they'll stick on you till they die. Infact its almost as boring as healing them now. Makes it more interesting for tank and healer.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
HixxSAFC said:
Tanking heroics is boring as shit. You do one rotation on a pack of mobs and they'll stick on you till they die. Infact its almost as boring as healing them now. Makes it more interesting for tank and healer.

I wouldn't say it's as boring as a healer. At least i have to press buttons every second(as a warrior anyway), unlike my disc priest who only need to throw a shield every 15-20 secs(sometimes, they even last the whole 30 secs). I haven't really played other tanking classes but i bet being an overgeared prot paladin in a heroic must be a lot more boring than an overgeared prot warrior.

Alcoori

The rushing into the next pack of mob is ok if you know your healer is gonna be fine and if the DPS do their job.
I always check people's mana before doing that, if they're pretty full then it's on.

Also, people are such little weasels. I usually do PUGs with two friends IRL, and they like to try and kick out each other. I always says no when the screen pop up, but they ALWAYS get kicked. Even though their DPS/Healing was good. Why would you vote yes if the person is doing their job and is not an annoying brat on the chat?? :D

ampere

Alcoori said:
The rushing into the next pack of mob is ok if you know your healer is gonna be fine and if the DPS do their job.
I always check people's mana before doing that, if they're pretty full then it's on.

Also, people are such little weasels. I usually do PUGs with two friends IRL, and they like to try and kick out each other. I always says no when the screen pop up, but they ALWAYS get kicked. Even though their DPS/Healing was good. Why would you vote yes if the person is doing their job and is not an annoying brat on the chat?? :D
The reminds me 100% of the boot feature in Halo when someone 'betrays' you. Sometime it will bug and say they did when there was no foul play at work, and 9/10 times the person will hit yes when the option to boot becomes available :lol

Meier

Puncture said:
So does anyone else keep an eye on the Alpha client leaks for all the new talents and stuff? Its been having me geek out every new release :lol :lol

I play a hunter so I naturally just focus on those. So much stuff.
Cool stuff. The focus cost on multi-shot and volley are intense though.. so much (seemingly) at having any ability to consistently AE.

Meier

Looking for some input.. 128 crit or 256 RAP? I am just going to go ahead and buy one of the PVP trinkets since I doubt I'll ever do Arenas so I see very little use for my Honor instead.

Flib

So finally re-setup my guild and started raiding again (I've pretty much missed ICC except for one or two pug runs on my hunter). I've shelved my hunter and am running a bear tank. Went into ICC last night (first time ever tanking in a raid) and one-shot through Rotface before calling it. Can't believe not only how easy the buff makes it, and also how easy these fights are to tank. Only Rotface presents any kind of challenge, and it's not actually particularly difficult.

notworksafe

Well it certainly helps that you were 25% better at everything without even having to try, I suppose. :D Seriously though, it'll will make going back to heroic modes much easier when we finish up Ulduar. A few fights were just giving us a hell of a time.

markot said:
I really hate tanks that run to the next group of mobs while they still have some on them and theyre not all dead..... Its like... yeah, 1 more minute in an instance would be murder... jeeezz...

Actually doing that for every pull saves like multiple minutes. Maybe you should man the fuck up.

mclem

Flib said:
So finally re-setup my guild and started raiding again (I've pretty much missed ICC except for one or two pug runs on my hunter). I've shelved my hunter and am running a bear tank. Went into ICC last night (first time ever tanking in a raid) and one-shot through Rotface before calling it. Can't believe not only how easy the buff makes it, and also how easy these fights are to tank. Only Rotface presents any kind of challenge, and it's not actually particularly difficult.

ICC isn't great for interesting tank roles. Putricide's not bad, primarily because there's some movement for the main tank and - at least when first learning it - it makes sense to throw another tank into the abom. However, much of that goodwill gets lost when, in 25-man, you need a third tank who pretty much does nothing for the majority of the fight; that's not on. Tank swaps on Sindy are interesting, and if you use a traditional tank on Keleseth in Princes, they get a fun role.

But that's about it for interesting tank mechanics, unlike Ulduar which gave tanks interesting things to do on a lot of fights.

Blizzard do struggle in this respect; I appreciate that it's difficult for them to require n tanks then ensure they have something interesting to do in each fight. The absolute nadir, I think, was Faction Champions heroic where - unless you learned how to game the system, which isn't likely to be the intended approach to the fight - a career tank could do *nothing* useful at all.

Flib

Yeah, obviously the buff helps, I mentioned it in my post. Just crazy that I can steamroll through these on my first time raid tanking, as opposed to when we were progressing through Ulduar and some fights would still give us some issues if RNG went wrong.

We did have the weekly where Darnavan has to survive deathwhisper and I got assigned to him, which was at least fun and gave me something to do instead of pressing taunt once in a while, though it was still easy.

CassSept

markot said:
1 more minute per pack etc etc. If group has a good gear that's what a tank should be doing anyway. Today I finally had such a group and did Nexus in 10 minutes instead of the usual 20 minutes.
Oh and finally, for the first time since early June I wasn't topping damage meters. As a goddamn tank. Sigh.

Fularu

Banned
CassSept said:
1 more minute per pack etc etc. If group has a good gear that's what a tank should be doing anyway. Today I finally had such a group and did Nexus in 10 minutes instead of the usual 20 minutes.
Oh and finally, for the first time since early June I wasn't topping damage meters. As a goddamn tank. Sigh.
I tank heroics in mostly DPS gear and usually pull 50%+ of the group's DPS :lol that's when I'm bored and do a heroic anyway :p

Doing the fire festival boss is painfull... so many idiots -.-

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
speedpop said:
Thing is those players have always been there. The dungeon finder tool simply allows you to be with these people whereas beforehand they could be a douche in a PUG and gain a reputation on the server for being a cock. Now they can do it and there is no threat of being tarnished.

I hope the reintroduction of the necessity for crowd control in the Cataclysm instances will make people slow the fuck down, think a little, and quit crying over a single wipe. All people want these days are their emblems ASAP and to nibble on that carrot quicker than ever. Fuck them.

I'd much rather see the ignore feature have no limit whatsoever to the number of people that I can add to it, with it also being an account-wide feature. But if Blizz did that, there'd be a ton of people who would never find a group ever again, unsub, and Blizz would lose a truck load of money. :p

Bisnic

Fularu said:
Doing the fire festival boss is painfull... so many idiots -.-

I had a retard warlock start the event while our healer was still in his Retribution gear & spec. Even after he clearly said in chat "wait stop".

Fun.

Thankfully, only 1 dps died, and i as a tank was good enough to stay over 30k hp without heals(except my own gift of the naaru lulz), and the other DPS(including the "healer" who was still stuck in his DPS set) were strong enough to kill Ahune without having to deal with 2 waves of adds.

Still, retard warlock is retard.

Lumine

Hey what did you guys pick for your professions on your DK's?
Most gathering professions require going back and grinding through the old world, which is not something I'm looking forward to. Honestly I don't think I can be bothered to do that at all. Problem is, I don't really have any gold left to buy my way through the levels and I'm not really looking forward to grinding for gold on my main first either. :lol
I currently have enchanting and inscription but they're not going up either unless I go and buy low level mats and greens. So I'm wondering what you guys picked. What are easy/fun alternatives? :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
markot said:

if you dpsed harder then maybe they wouldnt be alive when he did

Retro

2lbntz7.jpg

Decided to just fucking get the Summer Festival event over with today, after basically saying "Fuck it" last year... so yay me, I guess. Since I'm resigned to just coasting along until Cataclysm, this is probably the last snippet of WotLK-level content I'll do.

Oh, and I finally got enough of the Purple Judgment 'set' to look respectable. Just need the damn leggings to drop now... oh well. :lol

Flib

Bisnic said:
I wouldn't say it's as boring as a healer. At least i have to press buttons every second(as a warrior anyway), unlike my disc priest who only need to throw a shield every 15-20 secs(sometimes, they even last the whole 30 secs). I haven't really played other tanking classes but i bet being an overgeared prot paladin in a heroic must be a lot more boring than an overgeared prot warrior.

SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE

Bisnic

Flib said:

Another reason why i don't feel like playing a bear tank.

I think i'm pretty happy with a warrior. Some people complain we have too many buttons to use, but that's exactly what i like about them. It's waaaay better than spamming a Swipe+Maul macro. Or how some DPS classes only use 2 or 3 spells 90% of the time.

Evlar

Banned
Bisnic said:
Another reason why i don't feel like playing a bear tank.

I think i'm pretty happy with a warrior. Some people complain we have too many buttons to use, but that's exactly what i like about them. It's waaaay better than spamming a Swipe+Maul macro. Or how some DPS classes only use 2 or 3 spells 90% of the time.
I recently decided to start leveling a tank and this is exactly why I picked a Warrior. My main is a Priest healer, which is probably the healing class with the most buttons to push/most situational abilities, and I love the challenge and interactivity of that playstyle. Warriors have the reputation of being the most interactive tanks; my experience has borne it out so far.

Flib

I love bear tanking since it's almost relaxing, but I'd probably go crazy if I didn't have a geared healing dual-spec and my hunter as well. I get bored in one role for too long.

The single target rotation isn't bad though. Just heroics/aoe trash require you to swipe spam like a monster.

I also use a razer naga now, so I can eat a sandwich with my left hand while swipe-spamming. Seriously, naga makes bear tanking even easier.

J-Rzez

Lumine said:
Hey what did you guys pick for your professions on your DK's?
Most gathering professions require going back and grinding through the old world, which is not something I'm looking forward to. Honestly I don't think I can be bothered to do that at all. Problem is, I don't really have any gold left to buy my way through the levels and I'm not really looking forward to grinding for gold on my main first either. :lol
I currently have enchanting and inscription but they're not going up either unless I go and buy low level mats and greens. So I'm wondering what you guys picked. What are easy/fun alternatives? :p

I took BS and JC. And no, there are no fun alternatives when it comes to professions in this game. It's all a grind. Gathering profs are easier, but don't net you as good bonuses.

Swag

mclem said:
ICC isn't great for interesting tank roles. Putricide's not bad, primarily because there's some movement for the main tank and - at least when first learning it - it makes sense to throw another tank into the abom. However, much of that goodwill gets lost when, in 25-man, you need a third tank who pretty much does nothing for the majority of the fight; that's not on. Tank swaps on Sindy are interesting, and if you use a traditional tank on Keleseth in Princes, they get a fun role.

But that's about it for interesting tank mechanics, unlike Ulduar which gave tanks interesting things to do on a lot of fights.

Blizzard do struggle in this respect; I appreciate that it's difficult for them to require n tanks then ensure they have something interesting to do in each fight. The absolute nadir, I think, was Faction Champions heroic where - unless you learned how to game the system, which isn't likely to be the intended approach to the fight - a career tank could do *nothing* useful at all.

I thought about this post for a bit, and honestly I can't think of any fight in Wrath (outside of Ulduar) that really had particularly interesting things that put pressure on tanks to perform at a high level or otherwise wipe the raid. I guess you could say Putricide but that's simply a matter of moving him around which isn't particularly difficult. Honestly the hardest thing that comes to mind the All you can Eat achievement on Sindragosa.

All you can eat is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do as a tank (Next to ToGC 25), the room for error is so small that it forces you to really be on the ball, communication wise with the other tank and mechanics wise with clearing stacks and staying alive.

Ulduar was so amazing, probably the best instance from a tank perspective, actually I'd go so far as to say it's the best instance in Wrath.

ToGC 25 is one of the hardest fights as a warrior tank :lol, you really have to use every ability your given in order to lock down your assigned target. I think in doing that fight once I've changed stances more then every other fight combined. I can't see how a tank is useless on that fight, maybe a Druid. But I'd see a Paladin / Warrior to be amazing in controlling targets such as the Rogue / Warrior / DK / Ret Paladin.

Evlar said:
I recently decided to start leveling a tank and this is exactly why I picked a Warrior. My main is a Priest healer, which is probably the healing class with the most buttons to push/most situational abilities, and I love the challenge and interactivity of that playstyle. Warriors have the reputation of being the most interactive tanks; my experience has borne it out so far.

This Interactivity is both a gift and a curse though, main tanking fights are awesome, but when your forced to off tank it becomes pretty lame. Not being able to use abilities such as revenge and having lots of Sword and Board procs makes it pretty uninteresting. Lanathel, Sindragosa I'm looking at you

speedpop said:
Thing is those players have always been there. The dungeon finder tool simply allows you to be with these people whereas beforehand they could be a douche in a PUG and gain a reputation on the server for being a cock. Now they can do it and there is no threat of being tarnished.

I hope the reintroduction of the necessity for crowd control in the Cataclysm instances will make people slow the fuck down, think a little, and quit crying over a single wipe. All people want these days are their emblems ASAP and to nibble on that carrot quicker than ever. Fuck them.
Yup. Would be hilarious if Blizzard implemented the option to report them, so that the number of times they've been reported for being dicks shows up each time they find a new group through the dungeon finder. I haven't played wow for at least 6 months, but I'm really itching to start up again. I miss my warlock, but even more so I miss my alt warrior. Melee, and tanking were such a nice switch after playing a caster for so many years. I think that I'll probably just wait for cataclysm to start back up. Need to get a new computer anyway.

mclem

Sebulon3k said:
ToGC 25 is one of the hardest fights as a warrior tank :lol, you really have to use every ability your given in order to lock down your assigned target. I think in doing that fight once I've changed stances more then every other fight combined. I can't see how a tank is useless on that fight, maybe a Druid. But I'd see a Paladin / Warrior to be amazing in controlling targets such as the Rogue / Warrior / DK / Ret Paladin.

Maybe I'm missing something, but as a paladin, I can't taunt (since they're immune in heroic), I can only stun once every minute, and silence every 30 seconds - however, unless I'm taking damage, I can't do that much before I'm out of mana; how are you supposed to keep a mob on you to control them?

There is a way - you can tweak your health to game the system such that the mobs focus on you until you're healed to full - but outside that means of tricking the AI, I don't really see how I can usefully act.

I agree completely about Ulduar; one of the best instances I've played.

ampere

Flib said:
What about MAUL MAUL MAUL MAUL always being hit when it clears? :D
Maul tends to be my #1 source of damage with the glyph of maul if there are multiple targets.

Swag

mclem said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but as a paladin, I can't taunt (since they're immune in heroic), I can only stun once every minute, and silence every 30 seconds - however, unless I'm taking damage, I can't do that much before I'm out of mana; how are you supposed to keep a mob on you to control them?

I guess it's different for a Paladin, because you don't have that many abilities to debilitate. But for a warrior

- Charge / Intervene
- Hamstring, Conc Blow, Shockwave
- Intimidating Shout / Disarm
- Heroic Throw Silence

It's a pretty intense fight, can do a lot to disable the adds. I'd compare it in tank difficulty to Heroic Deathwhisper

Flib

ciaossu said:
What about MAUL MAUL MAUL MAUL always being hit when it clears? :D
Maul tends to be my #1 source of damage with the glyph of maul if there are multiple targets.

True, but once you reach a certain level of gear you can just use swipe in most heroics (halls of reflection aside), pretty much.

SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE was more fun to write as well.

Retro said:
2lbntz7.jpg

Decided to just fucking get the Summer Festival event over with today, after basically saying "Fuck it" last year... so yay me, I guess. Since I'm resigned to just coasting along until Cataclysm, this is probably the last snippet of WotLK-level content I'll do.

Oh, and I finally got enough of the Purple Judgment 'set' to look respectable. Just need the damn leggings to drop now... oh well. :lol
Grats! Before quitting, I had completed everything but For the Children, Hallowed be thy Name, and Brewmaster. So I guess I'm only a little over halfway done.

Retro

Deputy Moonman said:
I haven't played wow for at least 6 months, but I'm really itching to start up again.

Wait a few months. Enjoy the summer, find something to play that you missed because of WoW (if you're anything like me, that's a hell of a big list), hang out with friends and family, whatever... Wait for Cataclysm, it'll fix all of the lingering issues from WotLK, reset the gear hamsterwheel, and provide content that is sorely lacking right now.

Deputy Moonman said:
Grats! Before quitting, I had completed everything but For the Children, Hallowed be thy Name, and Brewmaster. So I guess I'm only a little over halfway done.

Yeah, those are all terrible... For the Children requires you to basically plot with the alliance to complete School of Hard Knocks, and it's fucking terrible. Ruins BGs for the entire event. Halloween has that damn Sinister Squashling pet that NEVER DROPS and EVERYONE WANTS... and Brew Fest just sucks.

Why do all of WoW's events have this huge festival atmosphere, but require you to travel all the fuck over, never seeing another soul, to complete them?

Swag

CassSept said:
Sebulon3k, I believe Anub 25 hc with one tank on all adds was pretty hard for them. At least that's what our tanks told us :p

I remember the nightmare that was before I got the 100% dodge set, going from 100 - 0 because I got hit by every add was so frustrating. I usually tanked Anub though, because a Paladin or DK was better suited for picking up all the adds.

Tanking Anub wasn't all that difficult except for when the adds spawned and you'd have to shift placement, Heroic Anub 25 though was some hard stuff though. So glad that's over :lol

CassSept

I've meant the adds tank of course, I've tanked Anub myself on my alt and I know it's nothing hard :lol
Apart from that, I can't really think of boss that really put that big of a strain on tanks (except for being geared etc. Obviously knowing when to use which skill and when pop cooldowns helps a lot :p), then again, I play dps so I can't really tell which one was hard.

Hixx

Ooooh its all kicking off on my guild forums :lol

I was sick of mitigation tanks being mocked so posted some pretty strong evidence that the further into ICC you go, mitigation tends to be more important. Ofcourse our UBER SO COOL I PLAY 3 CLASSES AND HEAL AND TANK AND OMG BOW DOWN TO ME player decides he doesnt like it so kicks off. He gems strength and has a terrible paladin tank rotation, so I take his opinion with a pinch of salt but remain cool and continue to express my opinion. Then his gf of 2 weeks comes storming in with a huge post full of contradictions, to which I point out. Then she starts getting personal, which isnt cool as I think she forgets sometimes that I can kick her and it won't be a joke this time.

Then in a DPS topic shit hits the fan again after a totally innocuous post gets called elitist by one of our players who mumbles on about FUN (yes, in capitals). OP goes off on one saying that he can't be that fun as he can't remember who he is :lol

It was a good night!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
More maintenance and more angry people today.

Close to hitting level 80 and right now just heading to dual-spec my toon. Looking forward to seeing what level 80 is like. :D

Hixx

HixxSAFC said:
Ooooh its all kicking off on my guild forums :lol

I was sick of mitigation tanks being mocked so posted some pretty strong evidence that the further into ICC you go, mitigation tends to be more important. Ofcourse our UBER SO COOL I PLAY 3 CLASSES AND HEAL AND TANK AND OMG BOW DOWN TO ME player decides he doesnt like it so kicks off. He gems strength and has a terrible paladin tank rotation, so I take his opinion with a pinch of salt but remain cool and continue to express my opinion. Then his gf of 2 weeks comes storming in with a huge post full of contradictions, to which I point out. Then she starts getting personal, which isnt cool as I think she forgets sometimes that I can kick her and it won't be a joke this time.

Then in a DPS topic shit hits the fan again after a totally innocuous post gets called elitist by one of our players who mumbles on about FUN (yes, in capitals). OP goes off on one saying that he can't be that fun as he can't remember who he is :lol

It was a good night!

My favourite person in the guild has just left and one of the others is taking a fit over the stuff in the second paragraph.

I hate being an officer |: Its not even the good type of e-drama.

Entropia

No One Remembers
HixxSAFC said:
My favourite person in the guild has just left and one of the others is taking a fit over the stuff in the second paragraph.

I hate being an officer |: Its not even the good type of e-drama.

WTB Screenshots of forum posts!

Hixx

They're not even nasty which makes it even worse. One's being a lemon and the other has been thinking about leaving for a while. The worst part is someone posted about being in a really bad car crash and I thought the topic title was about the guilds situation :lol

zugzug

Heh on Coilfang alliance two guilds that were teaming up to run ICC25 man. Well once guild just put the ultimatium down to use DKP or they are finished, they do not like free rolls for main spec and offspec, only 1 item per raid, tokens are seperate count/roll and you can't get a second token until everyone else got one of that class grouping.

I missed the raid cuz I hadn't resetup my addons from patch, but apparently a tanking warrior won a roll on an item, got a second item due to no one else needing it, and then won a token roll. And If I heard it correctly a second token went to a brand new guildmember of the guild that wants DKP.

Clearly to me its the people that want DKP being upset they aren't getting the choice items they need to improve their stuff. I call selfish since we aren't even clearing past dreamwalker and two weeks ago didn't have enough attendance to beat down rotface. Let alone we havent' attempted Putricide on 25man yet.

J-Rzez

Looks like their patch files were corrupted on one of their servers or from p2p. People are getting frame drops and lag that never got it before. I know a guildie that had to reinstall WoW to correct the problem. Two others in my guild are having the same problem but don't want to do a full reinstall and Blizz is "supposedly" working on a fix now after denying there was a major problem crippling people's games down to frames in the teens with frame drops/lag to boot.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Hmm, that might explain why the game has been a bit more clunky for me of late on my laptop. I figured it was because the hardware is a tad long in the tooth, but mayhaps not.

When Cata comes out with dx11 support I wonder how hard the framerate hit is going to be.

I really hope for even longer draw distance. It would be so cool if WoW could take advantage of SLI, Quad-Core and all those awesome technologies for people who have them.

DarkJC

Mr Nash said:
Hmm, that might explain why the game has been a bit more clunky for me of late on my laptop. I figured it was because the hardware is a tad long in the tooth, but mayhaps not.

Same here, it seemed to be running better pre patch.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This posted yet?

i6bct2.jpg

I know some people will sniff at it since Alliance/Horde rep can be grinded up easily enough, but for those of us who are "altaholics" it is a breath of fresh air.

Alcoori

So yesterday I wanted to do some random heroics to get some tokens in order to improve my gear and I end up in the Pit of Saron.

My GS was 3k5 and I had never done that instance. Thankfully the healer explained everything to me and no-one was a dick about it, which was a first.
Anyway, it went pretty smoothly, we had 2 really good DPS and another one who was so-so.

We wiped once in the tunnel because we wanted to run to the platform in the middle of it but I still have a limited amount of HP (I think I was up to 31k) and the healer didn't have any instant. The other time was on the final boss because I moved it around too much and I was regularly too far for the healer to heal me. I also got lost on the way back from the cemetery, noobz style :D

At some point the crappy paladin DPS (think her main spec was Holy) made a remark about how we were talking too much and not fighting enough, and the rest of the group told her to stfu and dps. She rolled on a dagger or a ring for healer in the end, fight ensued.
In the meantime I got myself a nice tanking sword and although it's a fast one (1.7s), it's still better than the one I had bought from the Sons of Hodir that wasn't even a tank axe to begin with :D

Finished the night off by buying myself the T9 torso and gemming my whole equipment.
I went from 25k unbuffed to 27k. Overall good evening :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom