• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
We tried a GAF guild on Gilneas.

It was not successful.

It will only work if none of you give a fuck about the characters you are leveling, and make leveling and grouping, periodic appointment time adventures.

Unfortunately, if half the players view the guild as a serious commitment, and the other half view it as a throw-away, the guild is destined for a split.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Sirpopopop said:
We tried a GAF guild on Gilneas.

It was not successful.

It will only work if none of you give a fuck about the characters you are leveling, and make leveling and grouping, periodic appointment time adventures.

Unfortunately, if half the players view the guild as a serious commitment, and the other half view it as a throw-away, the guild is destined for a split.

This is so true. Every forum/community I've been on that's tried to do a guild has a split of people that are just doing it casually and those that are taking it seriously. And as soon as one or two people bail, the entire thing falls apart.

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
I'm on a free trial atm and wondering if any1 has a vent me and a friend could use for leveling. The ingame chat is garbage still I see.

Just download the vent server client and use that. If it's only two of you, I'm sure your cable connection has more than enough bandwidth to handle it.

Swag

Entropia said:
This is so true. Every forum/community I've been on that's tried to do a guild has a split of people that are just doing it casually and those that are taking it seriously. And as soon as one or two people bail, the entire thing falls apart.

Something Awful does they're communities for every MMO pretty well, Goon Squad is pretty successful from a PvE / PvP perspective, and the add-ons they make are hilarious :lol

notworksafe

I always welcome more GAF people in my guild, but too many of you play Alliance scum! Plus I think we're too casual for a lot of people. We only have two raids, and they both only go 4-5 hours a week. We managed to down Arthas in the main one and do some hardmodes in the main one, though!

But, yeah...any Horde (or wannabe Horde) GAF people are welcome on Area 52!

Xiaoki

firex said:
I'm betting, based off how long it's been for each legendary type, that in Cataclysm we see a tank and caster legendary for sure, and then possibly a dual wield or hunter legendary (would prefer dual wield to be honest, because a legendary built around one class would suck).

Although I hope they do legendaries as more like an epic quest chain like quel'dalar, so they can make a dual wield set, for example, but allow it to be your choice of swords, axes, maces, fist weapons or daggers. Maybe half and half, like a non-retarded version of Sulfuras.

But I also kind of hope there's a Sulfuras throwback drop off the new Ragnaros. Even if it's just an epic.
Blizzard has already said the first legendary of Cataclysm will be caster.

We will probably see a tanking legendary but Blizzard will probably be very conservative with it because of Thunderfury.

zugzug said:
sorry but blizzard has no concept of what a legendary is anymore. Ulduar already outdated. While still good outdated.
See Thunderfury for reference.

Swag

Xiaoki said:
We will probably see a tanking legendary but Blizzard will probably be very conservative with it because of Thunderfury.

Why do you think that? Think it's about time we see another tank legendary, should be a quest that morphs the item to whatever class your finishing the quest on. Shield for Paladin's / warriors, and Staff for Druids.

Nothing for DKs cause of Shadowmourne.

FLEABttn

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Why do you think that?

Probably because it was best in slot for the entirety of vanilla and the content was balanced under the assumption that at least your MT had it, if not your first OT as well.

The power of the thunderfury kept people in MC far longer than they wanted.

Swag

FLEABttn said:
Probably because it was best in slot for the entirety of vanilla and the content was balanced under the assumption that at least your MT had it, if not your first OT as well.

The power of the thunderfury kept people in MC far longer than they wanted.

Oh I misunderstood the use of conservative, wouldn't you consider Val'anyr to be in a similar situation? Many see the proc as being essential for H LK infest.

Although I don't see many guilds doing Ulduar anymore, except for fun :lol

FLEABttn

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Oh I misunderstood the use of conservative, wouldn't you consider Val'anyr to be in a similar situation? Many see the proc as being essential for H LK infest.

Although I don't see many guilds doing Ulduar anymore, except for fun :lol

I don't see them as being of equivalent power. Having a Val'anyr is convenient. Your MT having a Thunderfury made a world of difference.

And you said it yourself. If the Val'anyr was so ridiculously good, there'd be a lot more foot traffic in Ulduar. At the end of vanilla, there were a good number of guilds well into Naxx doing their weekly binding runs.

Swag

FLEABttn said:
I don't see them as being of equivalent power. Having a Val'anyr is convenient. Your MT having a Thunderfury made a world of difference.

And you said it yourself. If the Val'anyr was so ridiculously good, there'd be a lot more foot traffic in Ulduar. At the end of vanilla, there were a good number of guilds well into Naxx doing their weekly binding runs.

Fair Enough.

Xabora

J-Rzez said:
It would be a fight for GAF's guild as to what faction it would be. Lot's of alliance sympathizers here. :D
Crap, I wasn't suggesting a GAF guild but a thread for Gaf members that are in guilds that are recruiting. :p

Retro

Xabora said:
Crap, I wasn't suggesting a GAF guild but a thread for Gaf members that are in guilds that are recruiting. :p

Yeah, I kind of hijacked your quote since it reminded me that with Cataclysm coming up, it would be a prime time to try and get a GAF Guild going... but I should have thought better.

I might check out the standing invitation to Area 52 though, just because I'm so fucking bored and I feel bad wasting my subscription (which doesn't run out until December).

J-Rzez

Sebulon3k said:
Why do you think that? Think it's about time we see another tank legendary, should be a quest that morphs the item to whatever class your finishing the quest on. Shield for Paladin's / warriors, and Staff for Druids.

Nothing for DKs cause of Shadowmourne.

Hey now, don't punish DK's for Blizzard's design. Wars/Ret got to use shadowmourne too, like DK's, plus Holy Pallies got that healing mace to use too. I do like the morphing idea thing though. I don't think we'll ever see something stupid that only one class can use anymore though, like that Bow, for one example.

kai3345

Banned
Welp, re-subbed today, and while the dungeon finder isnt as fast as I expected, it still was a lot better than being restrained to only your realm. I managed to do a Ramps run on my Mage and I healed for my first time ever on Deadmines on an alt.

I also managed to get through a good chunk of AQ40 (we quit at the part where its a mad dash and all of the mobs keep respawning)

And this was all in 5 hours.

I'd say that today was a pretty good first day back playing Wow

Edit:
Some screengrabs of my AQ40 run
2i09jci.jpg

2lvmnv5.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm surprised you got into a AQ40 pug at your lvl. I would expected them to only want 80s so they could destroyed the place as fast as possible. :lol

Xabora

Bisnic said:
I'm surprised you got into a AQ40 pug at your lvl. I would expected them to only want 80s so they could destroyed the place as fast as possible. :lol
Some servers are kinda flexable.

Like undermine, they'll take a few 60s and 70s as long as they have 10+ 80s. XD

firex

there's actually a group of people that pug level 70 content on my server and mostly accept 70s for it. And they haven't done so badly. The guy that runs the pugs has glaives and stuff and he's level 70.

Swag

J-Rzez said:
Hey now, don't punish DK's for Blizzard's design. Wars/Ret got to use shadowmourne too, like DK's, plus Holy Pallies got that healing mace to use too. I do like the morphing idea thing though. I don't think we'll ever see something stupid that only one class can use anymore though, like that Bow, for one example.
I found it pretty funny when the first wave of shadowmournes came in and more times then not if it was a DK wielder they were MS tank.

:|

Tacitus_

Puncture said:
Wow thats pretty awesome. Normally people want many more 80s than that. Anyway AQ is really fun.

Yeah, now. The trash (and especially the ungodly amount of it) sucked ass when it was new.

Cipherr

J-Rzez said:

Hell naw, we want another bow, we shouldn't be left out just because we are different :lol

Plus, it has to be a bow for hunters anyway. If its a melee weapon without specifically tailored unique +rangedweapon bonuses, I think we all know that the weapon wont be allowed to go to hunters for NUMEROUS common reasons. Stat stick etc etc. The Wars, Dks, and pallies would just end up with an all new legendary, and its not their damn turn again yet. Caster weapon in tier 2 cata, 1h Enh shaman rogue weapon in tier 2 cata, Hunter weapon in tier 3 cata or something similar.

But its time for another bow ^_^.

Alex

Bit off topic, I started playing League of Legends, I've never played DotA and this to me is like... World of Warcraft: The RTS. Which sounds absurdy stupid considering the franchise, but that's what it is to me! It's got talent trees and glyphs and the art direction and so much of the game flow is really eerily similar.

My good friend got ambushed by some Rogue on the first map, and was instantly like "NOT AGAIN", he was a Warlock in WoW.

Really wish they'd announce the Cata beta, it's getting pretty late now! I wanna mess around with it even though I have a stack of other games I need to play!

That's the problem for me, I spend MORE and play MORE when I'm not subscribed to one, specifically like... UO and WoW since they let you write your own schedule and playtype.

firex

Puncture said:
Hell naw, we want another bow, we shouldn't be left out just because we are different :lol

Plus, it has to be a bow for hunters anyway. If its a melee weapon without specifically tailored unique +rangedweapon bonuses, I think we all know that the weapon wont be allowed to go to hunters for NUMEROUS common reasons. Stat stick etc etc. The Wars, Dks, and pallies would just end up with an all new legendary, and its not their damn turn again yet. Caster weapon in tier 2 cata, 1h Enh shaman rogue weapon in tier 2 cata, Hunter weapon in tier 3 cata or something similar.

But its time for another bow ^_^.
It should be a legendary crossbow or gun instead, because regular bows just aren't cool enough.

Actually it'd be cool if they just do it so that it's dual wield or hunter legendary, like you gather the mats etc. and choose at the end to forge it into either two 1h weapons or into a ranged.

I just wouldn't want a legendary designed around one class. The best way I could design it is something like dual fist weapons, and then the final step can make it into a ranged weapon if you want. Or like Quel'dalar and the final step lets you pick a pair of weapons that gives a ranged set bonus and ranged green stats.

Retro

firex said:
It should be a legendary crossbow or gun instead, because regular bows just aren't cool enough.

As someone planning to roll a Goblin Hunter named Howitzer who uses nothing but guns, I saw hell yes to that notion.

Fularu

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
Ow, ze rezolution. It hurtz ze eyez.

But good on you, man. It's very rare to find anyone who would be willing to run AQ at the appropriate level anymore, man. If any place in this game needed the teleporters that you find in Ulduar and Icecrown, it was this place.
Unless they removed them, AQ40 has had teleporters since release

Magnus

We're somehow doing worse on Lich King 10. Fucking Lich King 10 NORMAL.

We can't replicate the two kills we had a month ago, and I missed both. This is terrible. Defiles/Val'kyr combos are just too much for these ten people. Fuck.

Weenerz

Banned
Fularu said:
Unless they removed them, AQ40 has had teleporters since release

The teleporters in AQ40 aren't nearly as useful as the ones from WotLK raids. There is still quite a bit of running in AQ40. Back in vanilla WoW, a guild figured out a way to hack the walls to bypass most of the trash and some bosses to get to C'thun, they were perm-banned, but still. The trip was that bad.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Weenerz said:
The teleporters in AQ40 aren't nearly as useful as the ones from WotLK raids. There is still quite a bit of running in AQ40. Back in vanilla WoW, a guild figured out a way to hack the walls to bypass most of the trash and some bosses to get to C'thun, they were perm-banned, but still. The trip was that bad.

Overrated. :lol

firex

The AQ40 teleporter only opens when you get to Twin Emperors, right? It was a good idea though. Also it's way faster if everybody gets a bug mount, though maybe they changed it up so you can use a regular mount too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you need a mount, you know the instance has a lot of walking.

AQ40 is still probably my favorite instance.

Daante

What class would you choose to play in the expansion if you had a druid, lock and a priest?

Im currently playing a druid and like all the flexibility it gives, having specced moonkin/healer (though mostly doing icc as moonkin).

Guess i could go the same route in Cata with a priest, playing shadow/holy.
Im also thinking it would be fun trying out feral kitty dps, on the other hand im kinda missing having the "edge" playing as a pure dps class in my lock.

Any suggestions?

Tacitus_

Wait until the beta comes out so you can see how the class changes are coming along and you can read impressions. Now it's kinda hard to recommend anything.

masud

Banned
So I just started playing my lvl 80 again that I stopped playing right before Ulduar. I've kinda hit a wall here. My toon's is geared for Naxx which isn't good enuff to get invited to any raids, but no one runs Ulduar anymore so I can't get any gear from there. How the hell am I supposed to lvl this guy?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
masud said:
So I just started playing my lvl 80 again that I stopped playing right before Ulduar. I've kinda hit a wall here. My toon's is geared for Naxx which isn't good enuff to get invited to any raids, but no one runs Ulduar anymore so I can't get any gear from there. How the hell am I supposed to lvl this guy?

Run random heroics for the emblems of triumph and once you get enough of them buy your T9 stuff with them. Along the way if you get in the newest 5 man instances (HoR, etc) you may be able to find better gear in there. Along the way make sure you're doing all the dailies / weekly quests you can to get emblems of frost, these will let you eventually buy your T10 gear.

Bisnic

masud said:

Ulduar gear sucks these days anyway, you can get better loot from the emblems that you get in heroics, like vitamin said. Not to mention the three new 5 mans also drop better loot than Ulduar. Once you get all gear you can get from them, you should be able to at least do ICC 10.

Alcoori

Had an interesting weekend filled with random heroics and idiots blaming their incompetence on the tank or the healer.

The mage telling us how shitty the healer is that won't use his sheep on one of those horrible packs right after the second boss in Saron's Pit (the fire ones), the healer who heals shit and tells me I suck at tanking (even though I don't and I had never had any problem on that passage before) and the DPS who criticize the healer and I for talking too much when the healer was just explaining the boss to me even though his DPS was lower than mine (GS of 5k for him, mine was 3k9).

But in the end I've raised my GS significantly, I'm at 4k3 now (3k7 before the weekend), I've got close to 29k HP unbuffed and I still have my T9 leggings, my trinkets, my boots and my rings to change.

The only thing though is that I'm fucking scared of running any of the 3 5-man in ICC. In the Forge of Souls the packs are too widespread for my aoe taunt to get them all. In Saron's Pit the packs in between the second boss and the tunnel are a fucking nightmare and I haven't run the last one yet AND my gear sucks to do it on heroics anyway so I really hope I won't get them on random tonight :D

Any other one is fine and is usually done very quickly now.

Also, I'm upping tailoring so that I can ride the flying carper :)D). Any idea where I could farm mage cloth? Ulduman and ZF I presume?

mclem

Puncture said:
Wow thats pretty awesome. Normally people want many more 80s than that. Anyway AQ is really fun.

While I appreciate the desire for new content, as someone who never got to visit AQ40 as a 'real' instance, only as a 'nuke everything on a grand tour' one, I'd really quite like to see a Naxx-ing of it in a future expansion.

Hixx

mclem said:
While I appreciate the desire for new content, as someone who never got to visit AQ40 as a 'real' instance, only as a 'nuke everything on a grand tour' one, I'd really quite like to see a Naxx-ing of it in a future expansion.

The charm of AQ40 was its difficulty curve. It starts off really easy but the last 2 or 3 bosses are very, very hard. Which is how it should be. However with what they did with Naxx was make it basically a loot pinata. AQ40 deserves to be more than that, as did Naxx to be fair.

I'd love to see BWL re-done. Perfect balance of trash and bosses and a lot of cool encounters, even the suppression room was cool imo. Hopefully they recapture that essence in the new Blackrock Mountain instances.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Inspired by the Red Dead Redemption OT - I've created a form and corresponding spreadsheet to keep track of GAF WoW players.

Overview

I've started it off with a bit of data - going to tweak it a bit going forward. Let me know if there is any weirdness or anything, my first attempt in making a form/spreadsheet in Google docs. If you have suggestions/requests, let me know.

Edit:

Revision 1 - Added class colors (or as close as possible) and faction colors to the overview.
Revision 2 - Changed sorting to be done by Realm, then player name. Seems to be the easiest way to be able to find people

Haven't posted this in a while.

Fularu

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
The charm of AQ40 was its difficulty curve. It starts off really easy but the last 2 or 3 bosses are very, very hard. Which is how it should be. However with what they did with Naxx was make it basically a loot pinata. AQ40 deserves to be more than that, as did Naxx to be fair.

I'd love to see BWL re-done. Perfect balance of trash and bosses and a lot of cool encounters, even the suppression room was cool imo. Hopefully they recapture that essence in the new Blackrock Mountain instances.
The only "difficult" fight in AQ40 was Ouro. If not for the "bug" on C'thun most of it was fairly easy, just long and boring.

C'thun was great though, it just sucked wiping on him for weeks with no hope of ever killing him.

kai3345

Banned
Wow. After looking at the screenshot of me being fear'd (which ended up causing me to die by putting me right next to one of the bosses with no target, then he killed me) I just realized I had "Every man for Himself"

Goddammit:lol

Edit:
I've also been thinking, how do they say, Lore-wise, how all of these big bosses (Illidan, Kael'thas, etc.) who have been huge villains in the Warcraft lore, are being beaten. Since your character isn't canon, do they just go with the whole "brave group of adventurers route". And if so, wouldn't all of the major Lore players be like "Wtf we have been trying for years to beat these guys and all of a sudden some fucking gnome from middle-of-nowhere comes and kills Illidan"?

Bisnic

kai3345 said:
Wow. After looking at the screenshot of me being fear'd (which ended up causing me to die by putting me right next to one of the bosses with no target, then he killed me) I just realized I had "Every man for Himself"

Goddammit:lol

Edit:
I've also been thinking, how do they say, Lore-wise, how all of these big bosses (Illidan, Kael'thas, etc.) who have been huge villains in the Warcraft lore, are being beaten. Since your character isn't canon, do they just go with the whole "brave group of adventurers route". And if so, wouldn't all of the major Lore players be like "Wtf we have been trying for years to beat these guys and all of a sudden some fucking gnome from middle-of-nowhere comes and kills Illidan"?

I haven't really raid in BC, but as far as i know, against Illidan at least, there is a few lore heroes helping you on the fight, like Maiev and that Broken Draenei that i forgot the name. Same as how you have Tirion, Saurfang, Muradin, etc. helping you in Icecrown Citadel.

kai3345 said:
Edit:

If you've ever gotten to the Lich King encounter or even played through ICC to an extent, the answer to that is readily apparent. Blizzard sets it up so that you are one among these heroes. In quest text and written dialogue, you're named specifically. In spoken dialogue you're referred to as "champions" of the alliance or horde. You are a lore character (like how it would be in most first person perspective fantasy books).

Also, HixxSAFC, the fact that you like the suppression room makes me question your grip on reality, man. I've got some serious concern for you. :p

Magnus said:
Holy shit, what a complete dick move.

As one of the few players in our guild to get a legendary over the last six years (I think we attained between 1 and 4 of every one, except Atiesh), and especially one of the ones that took a lot of guild time and devotion (Val'anyr, not one of the ones that just dropped randomly off a boss like the Glaives or Thor'idal), I could never bring myself to abandon the crew that helped me make that weapon. I raided myself stupid for a year even on the most abysmal raiding nights just out of gratitude. And I definitely gave up at least one or two nights out with friends (never again) throughout the year to make that weapon happen for me.

That kid deserves to be called out on your server for that backstab. Fuck him.

Also, I hadn't heard anything about legendaries being tied to your guild. There's a guild achievement and perk for getting X number of legendaries on guilded characters, but the weapon itself? I'm pretty sure that definitely stays bound to the character that gets it.

I'd love for them to institute a weapon that the guild can craft and then selectively hand to a raid member of the guild's choice on every raid. "Bind to Guild" or whatever, which you'd lose access to if you left the guild. But again, haven't heard of that.

We are trying to take it in stride. He knows what he did was super fucked up. We let the GM of the guild he joined know, but that is not going to do anything really. Its not like spammig trade about him being a prick is going to get anything done anyways.

We will make another, and give it to someone deserving and loyal, Hopefully.

If anyone runs into This guy be weary.

I am still mega bummed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom