• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcoori

Well I'm a DK spec dual and on all the different guides I've read they said to either get 2 slow weapons or one slow and one fast, but not 2 fast ones.

I'm not sure exactly what the reason was but I think it has to do with you DPS that has to be high in order to generate more threat because we don't use a shield.

Retro

speedpop said:
This posted yet?

i6bct2.jpg

I know some people will sniff at it since Alliance/Horde rep can be grinded up easily enough, but for those of us who are "altaholics" it is a breath of fresh air.

Bleh. I kind of liked having other racial mounts... of course, I did the grind back when it was actually an accomplishment... twice. Did it once on my Human Paladin in Vanilla (wanted a Nelf kitty) and once on my Belf Paladin in TBC (I wanted a wolf mount other than the AV one).

I'd rather see them make Reputation / Achievements account wide than just put a negligible price tag on it... but that may be because I want to start off all of my paladin alts with the "Crusader" title and my planned Troll Druid with "Elder" :lol

arhra

Alcoori said:
Well I'm a DK spec dual and on all the different guides I've read they said to either get 2 slow weapons or one slow and one fast, but not 2 fast ones.

I'm not sure exactly what the reason was but I think it has to do with you DPS that has to be high in order to generate more threat because we don't use a shield.
As a DK, your threat comes primarily from your strikes, which are highly dependant on weapon damage (and with the Frost DW talents, your offhand contributes quite substantially too) - you want slow weapons for tanking for basically the same reason you want a slow weapon for dps - slower = higher damage = higher dps (threat).

A Frost DK using two fast tanking 1hers hits like a wet noodle, and can't threat for shit, which i can attest to from far too many RDF runs as dps (although it probably doesn't help that most of the time when you run into someone like that, they're fucking terrible anyway, and would probably have trouble holding aggro if they were in BiS hICC DW tanking kit).

notworksafe

Retro said:
I'd rather see them make Reputation / Achievements account wide than just put a negligible price tag on it... but that may be because I want to start off all of my paladin alts with the "Crusader" title and my planned Troll Druid with "Elder" :lol
I believe this is happening. All your achievements are going to be account wide through BNet 2.0. Not sure how titles/mounts will transfer though.

Retro

notworksafe said:
I believe this is happening. All your achievements are going to be account wide through BNet 2.0. Not sure how titles/mounts will transfer though.

I seem to recall a recent blue post that said it's something they'd like to do, but they're not sure when or how because of technical issues.

Fake Edit:
Bornak said:
We have already said that we would like to add account wide achievements in the future, they just won't be part of the initial launch of this new feature.

We don't have any details on how they would work yet, so I'm not sure if you'd see everything on one character. There will still be character specific achievements for single characters or for people to do multiple times, but we also want to add specific account-wide achievements for those who spread out their playing time more. We're looking forward to adding these in the future and will go into more details when the time comes.

kai3345

Banned
So I quit WoW a while ago because instancing was my favorite part, but once you hit the 60s nobody instanced anymore. But I heard somewhere that there was cross-server instances now. Is this for every instance? Is it a lot easier to find a group even for the older instances?

Evlar

Banned
kai3345 said:
So I quit WoW a while ago because instancing was my favorite part, but once you hit the 60s nobody instanced anymore. But I heard somewhere that there was cross-server instances now. Is this for every instance? Is it a lot easier to find a group even for the older instances?
The feature you heard about is the Dungeon Finder. It allows you to open a dialogue box and pick from a list of dungeons appropriate for your level; alternatively, you can choose the 'Random Dungeon' option (which grants better loot). You also select which 'role' you wish to play in the instance, with the options of Tank, Healing, and Damage. If your class doesn't have a viable talent tree in a particular role you can't pick it: Priests can't select the Tanking role, for instance. You are placed in a queue and the Dungeon Finder then sits in the background until you reach the top of the queue. You do have the option to join as a group, if you have two or three (or even five) people who you want to run an instance with.

The tool will pair three DPS, one Healer, and one Tank from your Battlegroup for the instance you pick and send everyone an invitation simultaneously. This means you are usually grouped up with people from other servers. Once everyone has accepted the invitation, you are immediately teleported from wherever in the world you happen to be into the dungeon.

The Dungeon Finder also provides an option to kick players from the group (a vote-kick function: someone initiates the vote, three total have to vote to kick). If someone is kicked or leaves on their own, it allows you to queue back up to find a quick replacement. The replacement is teleported right to the group rather than the start of the instance.

I'm currently leveling a Prot Warrior almost entirely through instances using the Dungeon Finder. It works very well so far, with short wait times. Tanks tend to get in fast, healers a little slower, and DPS can wait for fifteen minutes or more... just the nature of the game's demographics. This character is still in the 30s, so I can't speak from experience about using the Dungeon Finder in the 60s, but from comments it appears instancing stays active all the way to 80.

Cipherr

Yeah the dungeon finder definitely works all the way to 80. Youll be able to find runs for anything always if your willing to give it 15 mins or so, even at the weeeeee hours of the morning. In your battlegroup theres always some folks online.

But the err, tone of dungeon has changed alot since launch. People are on the whole, much more impatient these days and just want to get it done. Just keep that in mind so your not surprised when you run into a retard here and there.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Tanks in low lvl instance have instant queues, while healer have either instant, or a 3 mins wait. Doesnt matter which instance, what your lvl is, it's always like that. And i love it, i rarely dps in instances anymore, unless i have no other choice with my class. :D

Retro

kai3345 said:
Hm. I may have to consider re-subbing for a month.

Just wait. There's no new content and the player base has dried up until the expansion. The only people who are still playing are doing high level stuff (which you won't be able to get into within a month's time) or are fucking lifers who will act like dicks because they can.

I'll never understand anyone re-subscribing after an expansion is announced, the game immediately goes into hibernation unless you're in a solid guild doing endgame content already.

kai3345

Banned
Retro said:
Just wait. There's no new content and the player base has dried up until the expansion. The only people who are still playing are doing high level stuff (which you won't be able to get into within a month's time) or are fucking lifers who will act like dicks because they can.

I'll never understand anyone re-subscribing after an expansion is announced, the game immediately goes into hibernation unless you're in a solid guild doing endgame content already.
I'm not looking to do any PvP or anything. Just a few 5-mans here and there

Edit: And I'm pretty sure there'll be new content for me, I'm still on BC, so I've still got all of WotLK to go through, and with the dungeon finder this souds like its going to go easier than ever

Bisnic

Retro said:

If he resubscribe only to enjoy low lvl instances again, i don't see what's wrong with that. There is still a lot of people playing their alts right now.

Not having to wait 4 hours to get a full group to enjoy Razorfen Downs or Shadowfang Keep is pretty nice.

Evlar

Banned
Retro said:

Or you could be like me: I've played the game (on and off) for almost 6 years and only now caught altoholism. It's a good time to level new characters, a chance to see the world one last time before dramatic changes.

Retro

kai3345 said:
I'm not looking to do any PvP or anything. Just a few 5-mans here and there

PVP doesn't matter so much... Just be aware that anyone you play with is basically going to be rushing an alt up to 80... so they'll be short, impatient, expect you to know the instant already, and probably act like dicks because of the cross-server stuff.

Bisnic said:
If he resubscribe only to enjoy low lvl instances again, i don't see what's wrong with that. There is still a lot of people playing their alts right now.

Meh. I figure since it's changing anyways, he might as well save his money and wait for all of the vanilla stuff to get fixed.

Hixx

Retro said:

I just levelled my mage and had no shortage of players to instance and group with from 40-80. I don't think I had to ask guildies for a boost even once. I still consider my realm to be low-pop as well :|

Best of all, people tend to be much more friendly while levelling for some reason.

Bisnic

HixxSAFC said:
I just levelled my mage and had no shortage of players to instance and group with from 40-80. I don't think I had to ask guildies for a boost even once. I still consider my realm to be low-pop as well :|

Best of all, people tend to be much more friendly while levelling for some reason.

It doesn't really matter if your realm is low-pop. Since you do instances with your whole battlegroup, and most of them have around 18 or 20 servers i think.

firex

Maybe it's just the group Retro is in (or a combination of faction + battlegroup) because I am in what should, by all means, be an asshole battlegroup (Bloodlust) but I haven't had problems except when someone really just doesn't know how to play.

notworksafe

firex said:
Maybe it's just the group Retro is in (or a combination of faction + battlegroup) because I am in what should, by all means, be an asshole battlegroup (Bloodlust) but I haven't had problems except when someone really just doesn't know how to play.
Same for me. Retaliation battlegroup Horde-side is pretty good.

Bisnic

I still don't understand how can people lvl 70+ still don't know what stats are good for them AND still won't listen when others tell them they're wrong. We had a hunter rolling need on the tanking ring that anubarak drops in regular AN (and of course, he won it), while our tank really needed it. 3 of us tell him he's totally wrong and should give it to the tank, and but as stubborn as a huntard can be(a night elf on top of that), he insisted on how strength/agility/stamina was good for him and left after we spent 5 mins trying to convince him strength and defense was shit for hunters, someone even tried to bribe him with gold, even though you can't trade gold. After i inspected him and saw that half his gear had spell power, i knew we were wasting our fucking time. /sigh You're lvl 72 and you still don't know shit about your class stats.. -_-

My lvl 72 shaman is kinda scared to come across huntards like him that might roll need on ele/resto mail gear.

ampere

HixxSAFC said:

As Bisnic said, your entire Battlegroup is included when you queue for a dungeon or a battleground.

Bisnic said:
I still don't understand how can people lvl 70+ still don't know what stats are good for them AND still won't listen when others tell them they're wrong. We had a hunter rolling need on the tanking ring that anubarak drops in regular AN (and of course, he won it), while our tank really needed it. 3 of us tell him he's totally wrong and should give it to the tank, and but as stubborn as a huntard can be(a night elf on top of that), he insisted on how strength/agility/stamina was good for him and left after we spent 5 mins trying to convince him strength and defense was shit for hunters, someone even tried to bribe him with gold, even though you can't trade gold. After i inspected him and saw that half his gear had spell power, i knew we were wasting our fucking time. /sigh You're lvl 72 and you still don't know shit about your class stats.. -_-

My lvl 72 shaman is kinda sacred to come across huntards like him that might roll need on ele/resto mail gear.
I see hunters roll on defense/spell power gear sometimes in randoms :/
Games that involve so many people in an online environment as WoW does are just bound to be plentiful with mechanic-ignorant players. Only solution is to only run with people you know. Watching melee dps charge Ahune before submerging and get knocked back again and again and again is painful, but it's my fault for doing a random I suppose. That's probably why I prefer to queue as tank or healer so that I can prevent wipes by a.) surviving or b.) healing through stupid.

Retro

firex said:

Horde, in Shadowburn battlegroup. I think the highest pop server in there are Malfurion and Sargeras. Those two are where I see the majority of my cross-server PUG'ers coming from, and I can count on one hand the number of PUGs I'd call 'good'.

Low Level LFG tends to have 20-30 minute cues, but I'm sure that's a combination of nobody really spec'ing / gearing for tanking in those low levels and the fact that I'm usually DPS until about 45-50.

Sciz

firex said:
Bloodlust has always been pretty solid in my experience.

styl3s

Anyone know a good server i could transfer to? i resubbed the other day and i have a 80 BE lock and 62 UD rogue and im looking for a good server with some good friendly guilds horde side

my friend screwed me over 6 months ago and had me xfer to his server then quit 2 weeks later so im SOL no good guilds or anything on the server im on T_T

notworksafe

styl3s said:
Anyone know a good server i could transfer to? i resubbed the other day and i have a 80 BE lock and 62 UD rogue and im looking for a good server with some good friendly guilds horde side

my friend screwed me over 6 months ago and had me xfer to his server then quit 2 weeks later so im SOL no good guilds or anything on the server im on T_T
Area 52! PvE server with a 2 to 1 Horde/Alliance ratio. We always control WG and the battlegroup is good for randoms. Even the raid PUGs on there are good (better then some guilds I've been in).

And if you want a friendly guild, mine is quite good. We're pretty casual but we manage two raids a week (one serious, and one more for learning).

styl3s

notworksafe said:
Area 52! PvE server with a 2 to 1 Horde/Alliance ratio. We always control WG and the battlegroup is good for randoms. Even the raid PUGs on there are good (better then some guilds I've been in).

And if you want a friendly guild, mine is quite good. We're pretty casual but we manage two raids a week (one serious, and one more for learning).
Is your guild recruiting?

Xabora

notworksafe said:

Ya know, we could use a separate thread for NeoGaf Members that are in guilds that are currently recruiting.

Would be kinda nice.

Hixx

Bisnic said:
It doesn't really matter if your realm is low-pop. Since you do instances with your whole battlegroup, and most of them have around 18 or 20 servers i think.

No, but you don't do things like Ring of Blood etc with people from other realms. I'm not an idiot, Battlegroups have been around for ages.

Bisnic

HixxSAFC said:
No, but you don't do things like Ring of Blood etc with people from other realms. I'm not an idiot, Battlegroups have been around for ages.

But the way you wrote your post felt like you thought the instances in LFD were from your realm only. :p

Retro

Xabora said:
Ya know, we could use a separate thread for NeoGaf Members that are in guilds that are currently recruiting.

Would be kinda nice.

You know.... Despite my bitching to the contrary, I honestly have been feeling a mild interest in WoW lately myself (I blame the prospect of Cataclysm), and since my guild (read: loose collection of family and friends) is basically dead, I wouldn't mind kicking around on a new server with some GAFers. I'm not transferring servers or anything, but maybe start a new character and dink around a little.

So, um... since we know a NeoGAF Guild would never work (I think too many of us have different play styles and expectations for it to mesh well), is there anywhere that GAFers have kind of unintentionally merged?

Actually, as long as people don't set lofty expectations ("Rarrr, we're gonna be the best guild on the server!"), I see no reason why <NeoGAF> wouldn't work... If the conversation is good and nobody expects every member to participate on the same level (I know I'd only mildly be interested in raiding, but there's no way I'd ever get on any kind of set schedule)...

Hey, it could be fun.... maybe... but probably not. Pretty miserable actually. I hate it. Booooo :lol

Edit: No fucking way would I ever fucking run it, no way, no how. I've been down that path before and it's fucking terrible. Noooo thanks.

Retro

J-Rzez said:
It would be a fight for GAF's guild as to what faction it would be. Lot's of alliance sympathizers here. :D

Whoever takes up the insane burden of running the guild should decide or flip a coin. At this point there are enough acceptable races on either side that I don't mind...

kai3345

Banned
Retro said:
You know.... Despite my bitching to the contrary, I honestly have been feeling a mild interest in WoW lately myself (I blame the prospect of Cataclysm), and since my guild (read: loose collection of family and friends) is basically dead, I wouldn't mind kicking around on a new server with some GAFers. I'm not transferring servers or anything, but maybe start a new character and dink around a little.

So, um... since we know a NeoGAF Guild would never work (I think too many of us have different play styles and expectations for it to mesh well), is there anywhere that GAFers have kind of unintentionally merged?

Actually, as long as people don't set lofty expectations ("Rarrr, we're gonna be the best guild on the server!"), I see no reason why <NeoGAF> wouldn't work... If the conversation is good and nobody expects every member to participate on the same level (I know I'd only mildly be interested in raiding, but there's no way I'd ever get on any kind of set schedule)...

Hey, it could be fun.... maybe... but probably not. Pretty miserable actually. I hate it. Booooo :lol

Edit: No fucking way would I ever fucking run it, no way, no how. I've been down that path before and it's fucking terrible. Noooo thanks.

I'm down, though im not suited for a leadership position as I'll probably only be playing during summers and christmases.

J-Rzez

Retro said:
Whoever takes up the insane burden of running the guild should decide or flip a coin. At this point there are enough acceptable races on either side that I don't mind...

I'm not sure if you gamed with others on GAF before, but usually the leader bails out after a week in clans/guilds. :lol

I couldn't do it as I can't leave my guild. Great-great group of people. We all get along, and they are some of the best players I've seen in the game. The number one raiding guild (25s, as we're the number one 10 man) will often recruit us to go into their progression runs, or secondary runs first choice. So we've got a good rep on our server to boot with some really awesome people.

I'd consider making an alt just to mess around with GAF'ers though. Just not when Cata hits, as I have too many alts to get to 80. Plus, I'm pretty smoked on the game right now, so I play maybe an hour a day/every other, outside of raid nights at the moment.

Magnus

Pookaki said:
Guild first shadowmourne last night!

I hate this game sometimes.

Holy shit, what a complete dick move.

As one of the few players in our guild to get a legendary over the last six years (I think we attained between 1 and 4 of every one, except Atiesh), and especially one of the ones that took a lot of guild time and devotion (Val'anyr, not one of the ones that just dropped randomly off a boss like the Glaives or Thor'idal), I could never bring myself to abandon the crew that helped me make that weapon. I raided myself stupid for a year even on the most abysmal raiding nights just out of gratitude. And I definitely gave up at least one or two nights out with friends (never again) throughout the year to make that weapon happen for me.

That kid deserves to be called out on your server for that backstab. Fuck him.

Also, I hadn't heard anything about legendaries being tied to your guild. There's a guild achievement and perk for getting X number of legendaries on guilded characters, but the weapon itself? I'm pretty sure that definitely stays bound to the character that gets it.

I'd love for them to institute a weapon that the guild can craft and then selectively hand to a raid member of the guild's choice on every raid. "Bind to Guild" or whatever, which you'd lose access to if you left the guild. But again, haven't heard of that.

firex

I'm betting, based off how long it's been for each legendary type, that in Cataclysm we see a tank and caster legendary for sure, and then possibly a dual wield or hunter legendary (would prefer dual wield to be honest, because a legendary built around one class would suck).

Although I hope they do legendaries as more like an epic quest chain like quel'dalar, so they can make a dual wield set, for example, but allow it to be your choice of swords, axes, maces, fist weapons or daggers. Maybe half and half, like a non-retarded version of Sulfuras.

But I also kind of hope there's a Sulfuras throwback drop off the new Ragnaros. Even if it's just an epic.

Retro said:
Wait a few months. Enjoy the summer, find something to play that you missed because of WoW (if you're anything like me, that's a hell of a big list), hang out with friends and family, whatever... Wait for Cataclysm, it'll fix all of the lingering issues from WotLK, reset the gear hamsterwheel, and provide content that is sorely lacking right now.

Yeah, those are all terrible... For the Children requires you to basically plot with the alliance to complete School of Hard Knocks, and it's fucking terrible. Ruins BGs for the entire event. Halloween has that damn Sinister Squashling pet that NEVER DROPS and EVERYONE WANTS... and Brew Fest just sucks.

Why do all of WoW's events have this huge festival atmosphere, but require you to travel all the fuck over, never seeing another soul, to complete them?
:lol Yeah I think you're right. I'll give it a bit of time and wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom