• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

J-Rzez said:
I would not be surprised however, to see authenticators packed into every single Cata box.
I remember they were toying with the idea, I think it all comes down to whether or not they're able to have enough of them made in time. I know they're made by another company, but I can't remember who.

J-Rzez said:
$7 unfortunately is a far greater deal than it sounds at first. Once you figure in the piece of mind you get knowing that what's seemingly "when" you get hacked, you waste days trying to get in contact with someone at Blizzard and for them to get your account and toons back to you at whole, and the authenticator helps you largely avoid getting hacked.

I would not be surprised however, to see authenticators packed into every single Cata box.
Pretty much anyone too damn lazy to get one deserves to be hacked now a days. I have 15 80s myself and nothing better to do until I move back to NYC so I have one just because of the time I've wasted on there since moving to Ohio. :lol

My friend bought the game 2 weeks ago and they bothered to hack him when he was only level 23 :lol :lol

HixxSAFC said:
15 80's??
I enjoy leveling more than most people, while everyone is just standing around in org talking shit I'm leveling an alt. Don't get me wrong most of them have no gear at all. I just really play my release day UD lock, my human priest who I hope can go back to horde some day and thats mostly it. Nothing to do in one of the worst states in the country until I can find a job to move the fuck out of this state for good.

God damn, Auctioneer kills my fps in northrend using ultra settins from 60+ to 10-20 wtf. :lol I guess I'll just keep it disabled and log off and on to enable it when sitting near the AH only.

Holy crap! One of the trips to the Firelands was a 3D remake of Joust, complete with flapping to fly and suitable quotes from the quest giver!

SiegfriedFM said:
Holy crap! One of the trips to the Firelands was a 3D remake of Joust, complete with flapping to fly and suitable quotes from the quest giver!

I saw that quest while looking at one of the streams when Beta went up. Seems a bit frustrating to handle.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Xabora said:
http://www.justin.tv/wizardd52986#
One of the better live streams, will be up tomorrow and monday and who knows after that.
Bonus, no rap, no metal, no loud ass music to get people in the office looking at you.
Just Opera and Broadway.
:lol

"And now.. here is some epic music.. *puts on Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb*"

Will keep a tab on this guy hah.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Wait, this name sounds familiar. Would he by any chance be a poster on the WoW Europe forums?

Yes he is. He also has a website called The Cynical Brit where he hosts shows about WoW and general gaming. Haven't listened to him for quite some time though.

Weenerz

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
He's the WCRadio guy. The station closed down and people went off to start their own things.

Probably a good thing, the guy running it was a baboon. He was constantly bitching about how bad WoW was and trying to do other things. I like the WoW insider show, or whatever it's called now. The players don't seem like hardcore raiders, but they are good background noise while leveling.

It would be nice to have anyone to play or talk to so I can do more besides 6/12 ICC and my 7 daily heroics every week. I ran out of things to buy with frost yesterday and I'm pretty much pedaling

Beta key bitching:
Blizz you assholes! I sent in dozens of bug reports in vanilla instead of sitting on them to help my guild at release and this is what I get! No beta! Fuck!

Alcoori

Ok, don't know if it just comes and goes but I've been insulted more in those last two days that in the previous 2 weeks.

Everytime we wipe on a boss, it's the tank's fault. His gear sucks (it doesn't), he doesn't have enough hp (not insanely high, true, but more than enough for heroics @31k5 unbuffed) or he doesn't know how to tank (dps never focus the same mob).

Fucking tired of this shit, people need to look at themselves first instead of blaming everything on me. I do screw up sometimes, but not being healed is out of my control.

Funny thing is, when I had 3k5 of GS, I survived better than now at 4k8. I fucking tanked the Pit of Saron with my 27k HP buffed without dying because the healer knew his job.

Hixx

Alcoori said:
Ok, don't know if it just comes and goes but I've been insulted more in those last two days that in the previous 2 weeks.

Everytime we wipe on a boss, it's the tank's fault. His gear sucks (it doesn't), he doesn't have enough hp (not insanely high, true, but more than enough for heroics @31k5 unbuffed) or he doesn't know how to tank (dps never focus the same mob).

Fucking tired of this shit, people need to look at themselves first instead of blaming everything on me. I do screw up sometimes, but not being healed is out of my control.

Funny thing is, when I had 3k5 of GS, I survived better than now at 4k8. I fucking tanked the Pit of Saron with my 27k HP buffed without dying because the healer knew his job.

Anybody who ever says that in party chat should be eligible for instant kick. The first heroic I tanked on my DK I had about 22-23k hp and this was when avoidance wasn't at astronomical levels.

Fuck I hate the community this game has atm. Hopefully the lack of a zerg mentality in Cata dungeons makes them go away.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
HixxSAFC said:
Anybody who ever says that in party chat should be eligible for instant kick. The first heroic I tanked on my DK I had about 22-23k hp and this was when avoidance wasn't at astronomical levels.

Fuck I hate the community this game has atm. Hopefully the lack of a zerg mentality in Cata dungeons makes them go away.
My new favorite version of this was getting into an instance and having the druid say he should tank because he had "X" more HP than me.

The only thing I could think to do was ask him what his parry and block rating were.

Xabora said:

Informative videos, but underwhelmed somehow.

1) I understand the need to make it very easy, but damn. It barely passes as a game. With a war, and ethic destruction of race, it's such a poor representation if there is not even a sense of danger. You really sense the NPCs are outdated beyond f**k. The same old /hey /talk /bow animations since 2004. Please please please, these old races beg so much for a animation and texture facelift before cata ships. It will make rerolling so much more fun!

2) He makes a good point in the Worgen starting area when an NPC says something along the lines of "we're giving the alliance a chance!" which has nothing to do with the events of the story. Yeah, just make new voice emotes instead of all the old reused "for the alliance"; "your a tall one!", "greetings", and so on... sound effects really need a tweak. It reminds me of the amazing sound rework that this guy did a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qe5PTx6jI8 < you can hear how basic tweaking of the current wow sound files and music pieces makes the game completely change.
Audio is the most underrated thing in games and films alike. people always go "nice graphics or "good animations", but it's rare for people to conciously mention the audio, even though its so important. the satisfaction of a kill, the thrill of opening a chest, the wonder of gaining a new level - all these things are elevated by good sound.
I bet the sound designers are all stuck in SC2, Diablo 3 and the new MMO + tons of CGI cinematics for all the games.. but goddamit, WoW needs a tweak bad.

We know new music will come later. They better redo the sound.

3) I don't like the new water at all. out at open sea, at best it looks "okay". everything is broken once you see it connect to land. no waves or movements. its just a flat surface. add some waves. fucking wave race 64 had it in 1996. it cant be so hard to make a fake particle effects system. i guess shit like that comes bundled as an extra with speed three! moving water is even in the warcraft 3 editor. add some seagulls and dolphins poping up. and some splashes when things/characters/boats are in the water. it doesnt feel like water at all.
only place it feels like water is in the sundering place.. the whole tornado in the earth.

4) The Goblin starting area chocked me. It's borderline stupid, like a vapor ware wii game. There is basically almost no use of the class normal abillities, and the mini games and sequences are retarded AT BEST. And goddamit do they need to redo the Vehicle UI. that pisses me off more than I dare to speak. waste of space, looks like it was made it paint with a wooden texture on it. the overly large icons everywhere was a distraction as well.
Besides that, Goblins in the starting area are really unimpressive. It looks like they tried to do cool goblins that are insane and lunatics like in the Warhammer IP, but you dont really feel anything more than some sort of spongebob humor.
This is NOTHING compared to the Death Knight starting area. Not in the same scale even. Pointless phasing as well.
Unimpressed with this bit for sure.

5)The rework to Stormwind looks excellent. Really excellent. It looks like a real city now. I love how the colors of the houses change depending on district as well. The removal of tinker town is a bigger plus. all the added water and trees are a nice bonus to get rid of the night elf park too(useless place as well). but again.. the water does not pass at all. add some splashs in the channel. it pisses me off just looking at it.

6)I hope they have fixed the thing with shields sticking out from the characters bodies. I hate that shields are floating 5-6 cm's away from the character!

7)with all these new zones, instances and land mass everywhere, the game really begs for bigger servers. a much more spread out population needs more players. more stable, and lag free servers too. Heres hoping they are really tweaking the servers to be able to handle a lot more places so it does not feel like a ghost town everywhere because its so spread thin.

8)please add some more interesting stories, voice acting and substantial quests. I don't know if I can do another one to 80.. soon 85, on these goddam reading quests. With all the upcoming MMOs I had hoped that Blizz could be pressured into voice acting. At least I hope the dungeons, and more central important quests will have some NPC narration in them. but I doubt it.

Dance In My Blood said:
My new favorite version of this was getting into an instance and having the druid say he should tank because he had "X" more HP than me.

The only thing I could think to do was ask him what his parry and block rating were.

Blame this one on Blizzard, since they were the ones who made tanks stack stamina over avoidance stats. Hence more HP = betterz

dimb

Vigilant Walrus said:
5)The rework to Stormwind looks excellent. Really excellent. It looks like a real city now. I love how the colors of the houses change depending on district as well. The removal of tinker town is a bigger plus. all the added water and trees are a nice bonus to get rid of the night elf park too(useless place as well). but again.. the water does not pass at all. add some splashs in the channel. it pisses me off just looking at it.
Tinkertown wasn't removed from Stormwind. It was and still is located in Ironforge. It's a slip up in the video.

Dance In My Blood said:
Tinkertown wasn't removed from Stormwind. It was and still is located in Ironforge. It's a slip up in the video.

sorry, I guess thats true.. so the dwarfen district is still there? I didnt like that district. Don't know why I called it tinker town, but yeah you are right, my bad.:lol

dimb

Dwarven District is still around and supposedly expanded with it's own Auction House and Bank.

Fularu

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Blame this one on Blizzard, since they were the ones who made tanks stack stamina over avoidance stats. Hence more HP = betterz
Blizzard never made people stack stamina over avoidance by design. People stack stamina because relying on a random occurence of avoiding damage is worse than gearing for mitigation and EH.

Now, granted, some people just don't know and won't realise that if it takes 4 hits doing 10k damage each to kill you, stacking more stamina beyond 41k is pointless and thus avoidance stats become more interesting.

But you can't teach everyone ;)

firex

I think the Goblin starting zone would have looked better if it wasn't being played with an "oh I'm not going to read any quest text at all so I'll just fast forward through all this stuff" mentality. And a vehicle seems like a fun idea to make their starting zone open (and crazy) instead of a linear, scripted experience like DK/Worgen. I know personally the DK zone is boring to go through more than once for me. Then again, I don't want to fuck dolphins, so I don't know how reasonable that makes these opinions.

firex said:
I think the Goblin starting zone would have looked better if it wasn't being played with an "oh I'm not going to read any quest text at all so I'll just fast forward through all this stuff" mentality. And a vehicle seems like a fun idea to make their starting zone open (and crazy) instead of a linear, scripted experience like DK/Worgen. I know personally the DK zone is boring to go through more than once for me. Then again, I don't want to fuck dolphins, so I don't know how reasonable that makes these opinions.

You are right, but the DK starting zone was still great the first time. TBH what was really fun doing the second time? I cant think of anything.

So do the lowbie areas have phasing now? Camp T will still be the old camp T for low level players right or has all that changed? That's one thing I always had a love/hate relationship about with this game, you stop playing for 6-8 months and basically everything changes. :lol

Vigilant Walrus said:
Informative videos, but underwhelmed somehow.

2) He makes a good point in the Worgen starting area when an NPC says something along the lines of "we're giving the alliance a chance!" which has nothing to do with the events of the story. Yeah, just make new voice emotes instead of all the old reused "for the alliance"; "your a tall one!", "greetings", and so on... sound effects really need a tweak. It reminds me of the amazing sound rework that this guy did a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qe5...6 years now? Wow models need a fucking revamp

firex

I still have fun doing some zones again while leveling, which is the whole reason I make alts. like there are some quest chains that are fun to experience for a second/third time, like the stuff in Eversong and Ghostlands, or low level instances (when you can't just walk through them and auto attack everything to death) or STV and Dustwallow.

But then I also don't really memorize quest stories or anything. There are just a few really fun quest chains for me.

firex said:
I still have fun doing some zones again while leveling, which is the whole reason I make alts. like there are some quest chains that are fun to experience for a second/third time, like the stuff in Eversong and Ghostlands, or low level instances (when you can't just walk through them and auto attack everything to death) or STV and Dustwallow.

But then I also don't really memorize quest stories or anything. There are just a few really fun quest chains for me.

Which is one reason I will level on pve servers from now on, pvp servers don't exactly give you the luxury of stopping to smell the flowers, or read the quests in detail as it were.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So since i've missed the 1st wave of the Beta keys, do Blizzard usually warn when a 2nd wave have been sent or do I have to check Battle.net everyday?

Bisnic said:
So since i've missed the 1st wave of the Beta keys, do Blizzard usually warn when a 2nd wave have been sent or do I have to check Battle.net everyday?
It's random to be honest. You should just check Battle.net whenever you can every week.

Cipherr

I dont see the appeal for with the streams. I hate watching other people play if its not a video of boss strategies or organized PvP. All the keyboard turning, awkward moving, random afking and chatting with stupid abbreviations like ur instead of your and other dumb shit just makes my blood boil. :lol :lol

Its just unwatchable.

firex

wondering if anybody has a good holy priest talent build, because I think I might level up a priest as a last alt before cataclysm thing (since they don't seem to get much of a leveling revamp). Shadow is pretty obvious so that build is no problem, but I can't think of any holy priests I know to armory so I was just curious.

dimb

firex said:
wondering if anybody has a good holy priest talent build, because I think I might level up a priest as a last alt before cataclysm thing (since they don't seem to get much of a leveling revamp). Shadow is pretty obvious so that build is no problem, but I can't think of any holy priests I know to armory so I was just curious.
Might as well just go Disc. Holy tree is pretty worthless for leveling.

firex

I wouldn't go holy for leveling at all. I was just wondering what's good for it at 80 since I think I might like it more than disc.

firex

ok, thanks. I'll probably give both a try at some point. but I think (since it looks like priests don't get as much of a leveling revamp as rogues) that I will probably just level up a priest alt as shadow for now and then buy dual spec and try disc/holy until I decide which one I like more, just as a way to kill time until the expansion or I get into cataclysm beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom