• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

PhoenixDark said:
Also anyone done Ruby Sanctum? The tankspot vid looked interesting

I mentioned it a little earlier; it's not The Greatest Thing Ever, but it's a few fun fights, and it's definitely going to cause problems for PuGs for a while. The main fight had one mechanic that caused us real problems, and it was fun to try to think of a way to work around it.

xepjjp.jpg

Booyah!

Note that the character selection and creation screen rotates some animations now and then.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Thats kind of odd how the last two races on the Alliance list are Dranaei then Worgen but on Horde its the Cataclysm race then the TBC race.

FLEABttn

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
Also has anyone any pictures of directx11 support ?

It's been described to me as loading twice as quickly while cutting your fps in half. And looking exactly the same.

I've also been told it's still very, very beta-y so I wouldn't expect it to necessarily ship that way (aside from perhaps looking the same).

Guys... I just flew into Zul'Gurub to check it out from above, and it's strange. It looks different from the actual raid, more unfinished. Is that an early model of the area before they refined it into a playable zone? Hakkar's pyramid is just the regular troll pyramid (like the ones in Hinterlands, for example) and Jin'Do's place has houses in it, and the Edge of Madness has a small pyramid within.

In any case, the front doors of the instance is remade to look cooler so they probably have some plans to update it. I just don't think the looks from outside are intended to stay.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
To answer a few of the questions that have popped up:

- The current loading screen shows the Dark Portal, and the view through it is a mountain range with a big tear through it atm.

- Phasing has been pretty subtle so far. The early underwater quests start with the player in an air pocket of the shipwreck of the vessel players were on to get to the new zones, and it turns into a story of survival as you do quests to help get what the survivors need to fend off the naga, and get to safety. The only real phasing I've seen here are the core quest givers swimming to new bases of operation. I haven't hit anything dramatic yet on par with, let's say, the DK starting area and the level of phasing we saw there.

- In terms of music, I haven't hit anything new yet that I can think of. Still a lot of the old music in Kalimdor, but I could have sworn I heard a piece very briefly near the Stonetalon Mountains with chimey guitars that was very reminiscent of the music in the first area of Diablo II.

Mr Nash said:

- The current loading screen shows the Dark Portal, and the view through it is a mountain range with a big tear through it atm.

- Phasing has been pretty subtle so far. The early underwater quests start with the player in an air pocket of the shipwreck of the vessel players were on to get to the new zones, and it turns into a story of survival as you do quests to help get what the survivors need to fend off the naga, and get to safety. The only real phasing I've seen here are the core quest givers swimming to new bases of operation. I haven't hit anything dramatic yet on par with, let's say, the DK starting area and the level of phasing we saw there.

- In terms of music, I haven't hit anything new yet that I can think of. Still a lot of the old music in Kalimdor, but I could have sworn I heard a piece very briefly near the Stonetalon Mountains with chimey guitars that was very reminiscent of the music in the first area of Diablo II.

from your descriptions, you sound sort of underhelmed / not impressed ? :(

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Oh, I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I just have a bad habit of sounding unimpressed in general regardless of how much fun I'm having. :p

McNei1y

Mr Nash said:

Damn. I wonder if lower level quests will have phasing on par with the DK starting zone. That was some pretty impressive phasing that seemed to open new doors. I hope they have taken advantage of it.

LAUGHTREY said:
But you wouldn't say you're having as much fun as fucking a dolphin would you?
:lol :lol

Belfast

SiegfriedFM said:
Guys... I just flew into Zul'Gurub to check it out from above, and it's strange. It looks different from the actual raid, more unfinished. Is that an early model of the area before they refined it into a playable zone? Hakkar's pyramid is just the regular troll pyramid (like the ones in Hinterlands, for example) and Jin'Do's place has houses in it, and the Edge of Madness has a small pyramid within.

In any case, the front doors of the instance is remade to look cooler so they probably have some plans to update it. I just don't think the looks from outside are intended to stay.

From what I've heard, the trolls in the area have actually moved out, leaving the ruins behind with new quests and whatnot. Which means that they might be removing the ZG raid from the game. Stranglethorn was one of the zones slated to get a major overhaul and still hasn't approached its final form.

As for the lore, the Trolls seem to have moved out since Hakkar is dead and there's no reason to worship him anymore. They've gone back to their homeland.

border

I saw a copy of the World of Warcraft Collector's Edition today in a used book store, of all places. It was in a locked glass, but marked at only $80. They usually sell for a lotta money, don't they? Would it be worth picking up just for resale?

I obviously couldn't inspect its contents since it was locked in the case, but where can I find a list of everything that is supposed to be included in the box? I'm not sure if the price was so low simply because the shop proprietors don't know how much it is worth, or if it's because something inside is missing or damaged.

border said:
I saw a copy of the World of Warcraft Collector's Edition today in a used book store, of all places. It was in a locked glass, but marked at only $80. They usually sell for a lotta money, don't they? Would it be worth picking up just for resale?

I obviously couldn't inspect its contents since it was locked in the case, but where can I find a list of everything that is supposed to be included in the box? I'm not sure if the price was so low simply because the shop proprietors don't know how much it is worth, or if it's because something inside is missing or damaged.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/world-of-warcraft-collectors-edition

80 bucks is a steal. You can fetch a pretty penny for that,

Tacitus_

Just went to my first GDKP run - it was ran by drunk polish ppl so hearing their tactics was kinda hard when they all sounded like Bond villains :D

Got 3600g from the run (10/12) since no items I wanted dropped.

firex

Belfast said:
From what I've heard, the trolls in the area have actually moved out, leaving the ruins behind with new quests and whatnot. Which means that they might be removing the ZG raid from the game. Stranglethorn was one of the zones slated to get a major overhaul and still hasn't approached its final form.

As for the lore, the Trolls seem to have moved out since Hakkar is dead and there's no reason to worship him anymore. They've gone back to their homeland.
you can still zone in to old ZG if you just hit up the raid portal. But a new quest chain sends you into an instanced version of a new ZG where Jin'do and a different troll NPC from another instance are trying to rebuild it, although that's level 35-40 content.

border said:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001O10V8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kai3345

Banned
God, fuck Blizzard's phone support. I have been trying to contact them for two days, I'm always put on hold with a wait queue of "20 minutes" (which always ends up turning into an hour) and then the phone hangs up, idk if its blizz or my phone doing it but still, goddamn, I shouldn't be on hold for an hour, they know how many calls they get a day, so they should staff accordingly.

Mr Nash said:

Just to note, it's the classic login screen. The real one hasn't been implemented yet.

Also I was looking at a new server to join once I resub. Was looking at Area 52 and I would like some impressions of the server from anybody that currently plays there. Looking through the forum it looks like it's pretty gearscore heavy.

firex

Looks like Warlocks are maybe half-finished at most in Cataclysm right now. I like the NYI talents for destruction and demonology, though.

Grats to the people getting into the beta. I have no plans to even try, and it would probably be too late for me anyway. Did a 25m ICC pug yesteray and we got all the way to professor putricide with virtually no problems. 1st attempt, got him to 1% and some silly person died (not sure how because there was so much floor space to move around in 3rd phase with no slime on it, maybe a flask). Tried 2 more times and then people had to leave.

Anyway, it was a plus for me because I finally became exalted with the Ashen Verdict (got my uber caster ring), and won Plague Scientist's Boots off of festergut. Then this morning I spent all the gold I had between my two 80's (5K) to have Leggings of Woven Death made (8 primordial saronite at 600g a pop). Probably not the best decision, but I can't raid full time right now anyway. Then I opted out of saving up 95 frost emblems for a new chestpiece and instead spent 60 on the Circle of Ossus belt. 4 decent upgrades in 3 days. Now if only I could get some tier from Vault.

After 6 months of absence, Discobiscuit has returned! :lol

firex said:
Looks like Warlocks are maybe half-finished at most in Cataclysm right now. I like the NYI talents for destruction and demonology, though.
I'll be interested to see how they turn out.

So, I just came back to wow a few days ago mainly because I miss my 5 year old UD warlock. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&cn=Wersching As you can see I mainly just pvp and my gear\ratings blow since I can't find a serious team mate this later in the season, well atleast someone who wants to play a viable comp. I'll probably continue to play my geared disc priest on Tichondrius alliance even though I hate being ally.

Anyways my real question is does anyone have any tips on making some decent gold fast? At the moment. I only have 350 enchanting, and 420 tailoring. I plan on dropping tailoring before Cata and leveling engineering since I love it so much and tailoring fucking sucks for pvp. What I'm trying to do right now is get up to 15,000 gold so I can buy a mech hog or spectral tiger mount. I'm at 5k which I've had forever and just made very slowly. Wtb fast gold making tips =\

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Goblin Character Creation, Hurray!
WoWScrnShot_070310_171747.jpg

Goblin Mage and Warlock Trainers Don't Like Each Other
The lob fireballs and shadow bolts back and forth at one another constantly. :p
WoWScrnShot_070310_172539.jpg

Goblin Hot Rod
Interestingly, one of the options is to listen to the radio with multiple stations to choose from. Most of the stations have old stock music like the stuff that is played in the inns, and the brewfest song. I'm hoping Blizz makes some original content for it a la GTA. I'd love for there to be a goblin talk radio station. :p
WoWScrnShot_070310_174023.jpg

Goblin Football
WoWScrnShot_070310_174742.jpg

kai3345

Banned
I'm about to smash my fucking phone against a wall.

Is there some secret to getting support from Blizzard? Everyone else seems to have no problem contacting them.

I made a thread on the support forums, no one replied, I sent and email 2 days ago...no one replied. And I've been on the phone for the past 2 hours trying to talk to a "support representative" or whatever they're called

all this just to get two fucking accounts linked, god damn

/rage

kai3345 said:

Is there some secret to getting support from Blizzard? Everyone else seems to have no problem contacting them.

I made a thread on the support forums, no one replied, I sent and email 2 days ago...no one replied. And I've been on the phone for the past 2 hours trying to talk to a "support representative" or whatever they're called

/rage

2z3qgrr.jpg

Couldn't help it =P

I'd say the customer support forums are your best bet, try bumping your thread or maybe just make a new one. Their people there could be slow cause it's the weekend, but whenever I've had account issues I got pretty quick help and replies from blues by putting a post up there.

DarkAngelYuna said:
Anyways my real question is does anyone have any tips on making some decent gold fast? At the moment. I only have 350 enchanting, and 420 tailoring. I plan on dropping tailoring before Cata and leveling engineering since I love it so much and tailoring fucking sucks for pvp. What I'm trying to do right now is get up to 15,000 gold so I can buy a mech hog or spectral tiger mount. I'm at 5k which I've had forever and just made very slowly. Wtb fast gold making tips =\
Tailoring and Enchanting don't really provide much cash flow, even after you max them out. If you have good enchants and patterns, you can spam trade, but I don't enjoy that. Dailies are your best bet. The ahune quest, while it is going on, random heroic, weekly raids, argent tournament dailies, especially once you're a champion, and anything quick like the fishing/cooking dailies. The dailies for grinding rep with the Hodir faction and the Oracle/Frenzyheart factions too. Just sell everything and anything that you acquire while you do them. I usually acquire a bunch of greens/blues/purples from running heroics, and I will sell stacks of dreamshards/dust and what not on the AH. It doesn't take long to rack up 60 triumph emblems, and then you could buy the boe valor wrist items and sell them on the AH. Or once you have 23 frost emblems, buy primordial saronite and sell it on the AH. Or you could get an addon like Auctioneer, since you have 5k gold to start with, and buy low/sell high. I've never tried, but people rack up the gold that way.

Alex said:
That happened to my Battle.net account, but it only took like 10 minutes on the phone to fix. Really nice.
Those chinese people are really blizzard doing it to their own customers to try and force them to buy an authenticator ;)

firex

Man, I'm still torn between warlock or hunter as a new main for Cataclysm. guess I'll see which one I like more during the leveling process.

Alex

DarkAngelYuna said:
Those chinese people are really blizzard doing it to their own customers to try and force them to buy an authenticator ;)

I've still yet to purchase one! I am a rebel.

Nah, I just don't know if I'll play again yet. Looking forward to following the beta process.

Alex

DarkAngelYuna said:
You know.. they're free now.

7 bucks isn't free. I may get an iPhone though, so I think it's legitimately free if I have one of those.

I'll get one if I play again.

Alex said:
7 bucks isn't free. I may get an iPhone though, so I think it's legitimately free if I have one of those.

I think there is a cell phone app that is free, but not positive. It may be for iphones only.

Alex

Deputy Moonman said:
I think there is a cell phone app that is free, but not positive. It may be for iphones only.

Yeah, I edited. If I don't get an iPhone at the least I think I'll get an iPod Touch, so I think it works on those too.

They should probably bundle them with the expansion, like Square is doing for FFXIV, actually I bet they do since I heard them say something about that before.

It's a shame it had to come to such tight security.

J-Rzez

kai3345 said:

/rage

I had a problem with their billing on many occasions double charging my account, and also my current bank's "visa holder" blacked them out and refuses to allow them to make debit transactions to them due to the alarmingly high amount of fraud cases that have been presented against them, along with their BBB rating that seems to vary from F- to B on a weekly basis.

Anyways, their phone system getting you through to a rep seems to have the same RNG as some legendary items. I couldn't get through to them for hours. I couldn't get them via email. FINALLY, after making a nasty blog post which I linked in the support forums, I got a reply.

I agree whole heartedly though with what you said about them needing to hire more reps. That is just one of the MANY issues I have with Blizzard. This game makes them so much damned money monthly, enough that initial investments are paid, it pays for the expansions/content patches, it probably paid for SC2/D3, and their "next-gen mmo" will probably be the first MMO to launch completely in the black. What do they do? They skimp out on CS reps, they recycle content, they recycle art to no end. They invest their time and effort into statues at the offices and star ponies. I hope that Star Wars and FFXIV turn out to be killer to force Blizzard into putting an effort into their products again.

Deputy Moonman said:
Tailoring and Enchanting don't really provide much cash flow, even after you max them out. If you have good enchants and patterns, you can spam trade, but I don't enjoy that. Dailies are your best bet. The ahune quest, while it is going on, random heroic, weekly raids, argent tournament dailies, especially once you're a champion, and anything quick like the fishing/cooking dailies. The dailies for grinding rep with the Hodir faction and the Oracle/Frenzyheart factions too. Just sell everything and anything that you acquire while you do them. I usually acquire a bunch of greens/blues/purples from running heroics, and I will sell stacks of dreamshards/dust and what not on the AH. It doesn't take long to rack up 60 triumph emblems, and then you could buy the boe valor wrist items and sell them on the AH. Or once you have 23 frost emblems, buy primordial saronite and sell it on the AH. Or you could get an addon like Auctioneer, since you have 5k gold to start with, and buy low/sell high. I've never tried, but people rack up the gold that way.

Ah, thats pretty much what I've been doing except for the badges and stuff. The valor wrists don't really sell on my realm and I need frost to get some pve gear. I've installed autioneer and am just buying the AH of stuff thats put up for less than its de value, disenchanting it and relisting... working decent.

J-Rzez

Alex said:

$7 unfortunately is a far greater deal than it sounds at first. Once you figure in the piece of mind you get knowing that what's seemingly "when" you get hacked, you waste days trying to get in contact with someone at Blizzard and for them to get your account and toons back to you at whole, and the authenticator helps you largely avoid getting hacked.

I would not be surprised however, to see authenticators packed into every single Cata box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom