• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
The ingame real live id exploit seems to be real.

gearscore.jpg

So my sleeping schedule has been all over the place lately, and as a result I've been online during the late night/early morning hours. The server I play on (Thunderlord) is a complete ghost of its former self, despite having more competitive raiding guilds now than ever before. Used to be that even during the overnight hours, there were quite a few people playing, and even raids happening. Now, there are only a few people here and there doing their own thing. The guild that I used to be a part of also used to have anywhere from 3-6 people on during the overnight hours and now there is no one. Kind of sad. People are only on to do some quick dailies, and for scheduled raids it seems like. In my boredom I decided to go through Magister's Terrace a couple of times solo. Cleared the regular and the heroic version on my lock. Got a crashin' thrashin racer schematic and an old epic pvp tailoring pattern that I still didn't have. I may start running it every day for the chance at the mount, pet, and orb.

Hixx

Boubouille seems to think Blizzard have cancelled the RealID forums thing. Can't say I would disagree with him.

Retro

Hello everyone,

I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

It's important to note that we still remain committed to improving our forums. Our efforts are driven 100% by the desire to find ways to make our community areas more welcoming for players and encourage more constructive conversations about our games. We will still move forward with new forum features such as conversation threading, the ability to rate posts up or down, improved search functionality, and more. However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature.

In closing, I want to point out that our connection with our community has always been and will always be extremely important to us. We strongly believe that Every Voice Matters, ( http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html ) and we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so passionately about our games. We will always appreciate the feedback and support of our players, which has been a key to Blizzard's success from the beginning.

Mike Morhaime
CEO & Cofounder
Blizzard Entertainment
Forum Trolls: 1, Blizzard: 0

I said this RealID shit would blow over before the weekend, didn't I?
Retro said:
I expect the whole LiveID thing to blow over before the weekend hits. (Source)
Why yes, Yes I did.

Tamanon

Banned
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Blizzard needs to grow a fucking pair.

Eh, with such a large community and the ability to see someone else's name without revealing your own(by not actually posting), it just didn't have the benefit attached that they first envisioned.

Retro

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Blizzard needs to grow a fucking pair.

Haha, I hope this is the overall reaction from the community.
"We don't want RealID! Get rid of it!" (x10,000,000,000)
"Ok ok, it's gone"
"Jesus Christ Blizzard, grow a pair!"

:lol

Seriously though, there will be no living with the trolls now that Blizzard has effectively backed down from a major game update designed to improve the quality of the community. As poorly implemented as this whole RealID thing is, at least the intent was good. But now any time any feature goes live and there's a huge forum outcry, they'll all redouble their efforts and use this as a springboard for all of their arguments (i.e. "We were right about RealID, stfu n nerf paladinz nw plz")

Retro said:
Haha, I hope this is the overall reaction from the community.
"We don't want RealID! Get rid of it!" (x10,000,000,000)
"Ok ok, it's gone"
"Jesus Christ Blizzard, grow a pair!"

:lol

Seriously though, there will be no living with the trolls now that Blizzard has effectively backed down from a major game update designed to improve the quality of the community. As poorly implemented as this whole RealID thing is, at least the intent was good. But now any time any feature goes live and there's a huge forum outcry, they'll all redouble their efforts and use this as a springboard for all of their arguments (i.e. "We were right about RealID, stfu n nerf paladinz nw plz")

I kind of enjoyed the entire fiasco,
Clearly I am trolling about Blizzard needing to grow a pair
, purely from a schadenfreude standpoint. I love watching epic QQ.

Retro

FLEABttn said:
Oh. Oh god, what have they done.

And the WoW Forum community is just dumb enough to think that being right in one isolated instance means they're now equal to or superior to Blizzard in determining the direction of the game's design.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
I kind of enjoyed the entire fiasco,
Clearly I am trolling about Blizzard needing to grow a pair
, purely from a schadenfreude standpoint. I love watching epic QQ.

Yeah, I knew you weren't being serious, but... well.... this is going to empower the community to the point where some of them think they can use this as clout in all future arguments. And that's some fucking scary shit. So, I hope, joke or not, your statement doesn't reflect a reality where Blizzard listens to the community closer.... because that's a very very very bad idea.

FLEABttn

Banned
Retro said:
And the WoW Forum community is just dumb enough to think that being right in one isolated instance means they're now equal to or superior to Blizzard in determining the direction of the game's design.

Yes they are. Pandora's box really has just been opened.

notworksafe

FLEABttn said:
Blizzard should just post Real ID's of the forum people! Everyone's real name would just be attached to their post. That'd solve the problem with trolls and whiners.

J-Rzez

WTF Blizzard, you're not man enough to stand on your own two feet now, and got bullied by your fans?

/cancel subscription.

FLEABttn

Banned
notworksafe said:
Blizzard should just post Real ID's of the forum people! Everyone's real name would just be attached to their post. That'd solve the problem with trolls and whiners.

Death is the greatest teacher.

Retro

FLEABttn said:

I hope that's untrue, and we're just giving the Official Forums less credit than they deserve... but in reality, I know that's exactly how they'll react the next time anything they dislike comes up.

Anything that empowers or nerfs a class will inevitably be met with "We know what's better, we actually play it, look at how bad your RealID thing turned out", though with more spelling mistakes and leetspeak, of course. Blizzard isn't stupid though, so they won't let that kind of BS carry any weight.

Besides, we all know it wasn't Blizzard doing this shit but Activision, maybe even Bobby Kotick personally /tinfoilhat

J-Rzez

Well, glad it's changed. That's a relief. But now I had to delete the photoshop I was working on where the nameplates above character heads had:

Character Name
Real Life Name
Address
Email Addy
Hobbies
SSN
Work Schedule
Home/Work/Cell Phone

and of course, Guild.

DarkJC

I know some people think that real ID would've cleaned up the forums and that it's disappointing that they've backed down, but I think it's a win.. There are real ways to improve the forums that don't require everyone posting with their full names.

Retro

J-Rzez said:
Well, glad it's changed. That's a relief. But now I had to delete the photoshop I was working on where the nameplates above character heads had:
You're forgetting "List of phobias" and "Bank account information".
DarkJC said:
I know some people think that real ID would've cleaned up the forums and that it's disappointing that they've backed down, but I think it's a win.. There are real ways to improve the forums that don't require everyone posting with their full names.
I think the voting system will help slightly, at least in theory... though someone with a good opinion that contradicts a hundred trolls' bad opinions will inevitably be buried, just like it is now.... so... no, it probably won't help at all.

I think your forum ID should be the character you have the most /played time on, none of that hiding behind level 1 alts bullshit that allows trolling to run rampant.

DarkJC

Retro said:
I think the voting system will help slightly, at least in theory... though someone with a good opinion that contradicts a hundred trolls' bad opinions will inevitably be buried, just like it is now.... so... no, it probably won't help at all.

I think your forum ID should be the character you have the most /played time on, none of that hiding behind level 1 alts bullshit that allows trolling to run rampant.

Exactly, all they need is one ID per account. That ID doesn't need to be your full name, but just one ID to represent YOU and no additional personas to hide behind. You still get the accountability in the community with none of the privacy concerns. And if they were serious about cleaning up the place, strict moderation in effect as well.

J-Rzez

DarkJC said:

Make someone post on their highest level toon, and if you click on a link, it lists ALL of their toons, down to a lvl1.

And, hire some moderators.

Retro

DarkJC said:
Exactly, all they need is one ID per account. That ID doesn't need to be your full name, but just one ID to represent YOU and no additional personas to hide behind. You still get the accountability in the community with none of the privacy concerns. And if they were serious about cleaning up the place, strict moderation in effect as well.

Exactly. To log into the forums, you need to register a Username instead of just picking a character. Just like EVERY OTHER FORUM IN EXISTENCE. How Blizzard has honestly let the whole character-driven forum thing gone on this long is beyond me.

J-Rzez said:
Make someone post on their highest level toon, and if you click on a link, it lists ALL of their toons, down to a lvl1.

And, hire some moderators.

See, I'd personally be against this. When I used to play more 'hardcore', I used to have people I would play with for raiding and such, but sometimes wanted to take a break from. I had alts I didn't let them know about. Because sometimes, I just want to have fun, not get into a debate about Blizzard's overarching design strategy for Frost Mages (Yes, I've had this happen, and I've never leveled a mage past... 30?)

If anything, you should be able to just opt-in which characters you want publicly attached to your username.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:

Character Name
Real Life Name
Address
Email Addy
Hobbies
SSN
Work Schedule
Home/Work/Cell Phone

and of course, Guild.
"Sexual Orientation" and "Previous Sexual Partners" didn't want a piece of that?

J-Rzez said:

Character Name
Real Life Name
Address
Email Addy
Hobbies
SSN
Work Schedule
Home/Work/Cell Phone

and of course, Guild.
Aw, I still wanna see it! "favorite color" :lol

Retro

Alright, with all that RealID crap out of the way, we can finally get back to the core of World of Warcraft...

Bitching about the new talent system! :lol

Tin Foil Hat
Maybe all of the RealID stuff was a distraction from the Talent system, and not the other way around! Gasp!
/Tin Foil Hat

Rapstah

I wish you could do something with Wintergrasp Marks of Honor... if they're just going to be offering lackluster PVP gear for them then they could just as well just be giving you Stone Keeper's Shards.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Rapstah said:
I wish you could do something with Wintergrasp Marks of Honor... if they're just going to be offering lackluster PVP gear for them then they could just as well just be giving you Stone Keeper's Shards.

I believe you can trade them for honor. Something like 2k honor for 9 marks, or something like that. Gotta talk to the same npc that sells 2k honor for 30 SKS.

Rapstah

Bisnic said:
I believe you can trade them for honor. Something like 2k honor for 9 marks, or something like that. Gotta talk to the same npc that sells 2k honor for 30 SKS.
Yeah, I know, but that's sort of obsolete now that you get like 20 000 honor per win in the weekend BG.

Awesome, looks like someone stole my inactive account
Haven't played since August 9th 2009 and got an email about abuse of the economy today and my account was closed.......
When I try to log in to battle-net it asks for an authenticator key which I never bought =/
Armory shows my main toon still fully geared but there is an achievement from July 7, 2010 =/

Blizzard better ensure my personal info is secure, fucking idiots

BigJonsson said:
Awesome, looks like someone stole my inactive account
Haven't played since August 9th 2009 and got an email about abuse of the economy today and my account was closed.......
When I try to log in to battle-net it asks for an authenticator key which I never bought =/
Armory shows my main toon still fully geared but there is an achievement from July 7, 2010 =/

Blizzard better ensure my personal info is secure, fucking idiots

:lol Blizzard are fucking idiots because you caused your account to be compromised?

Edit: I'm pretty sure the only personal info someone on your account can see is like...First and Last name, first digits of your street address and the last 4 of your CC (if you used a CC for subscription). You can call customer service to get your shit back if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom