• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fularu

Banned
At some point I'm really wondering why some of the posters here are still playing the game.

Cancel and cry elsewhere. Everything Blizzard does is obviously terrible so why not spare yourself the trouble and spare us your negativity?

Flib

This is good at least.

Ghostcrawler said:
Will players be able to access all of the 'whatever it needs' stats so that they can still theorycraft to their heart's content?

We want to unveil the entire enchilada in the next beta build or so. Everyone here worked really hard to get the whole package to a relatively playable and polished state. In essence we're not announcing a future plan -- we're telling you how the game works today. It's all done.

It's hard to offer timelines for when we will do a new beta push, but we're talking days or a few weeks, not months. All of the passives will be visible then.

All of those passives are subject to change though. Since there is so little in e.g. the Fire tree to boost damage now, we need to make sure Fire mages still do the kind of dps we want them to do. Despite our best intentions, it's also very likely players will point out bad talents or awkward points in the trees that will still need to be massaged before Cataclysm goes live.

J-Rzez

Well hopefully they'll unveil the new talent trees this week since they're "done" so we can see what they're talking about.

I don't see this RealID debacle to happen though. There is far too much heat out there on them now, let alone if something bad really does happen.

vilmer_

Does anyone know exactly wtf is going on here? I've never seen anything like it :lol

wtf3.jpg

wtf7.jpg

ampere

Dang I just read about the overhaul for talent trees... 31 point talents are the maximum! Woah. I'm pretty excited to see how this pans out.

edit: Reading more about the trees... wow. It sounds incredible. You gain your spec's signature ability immediately which will be fantastic for making leveling enjoyable. Now low level healers can actually do something interesting hehe.

notworksafe said:
EDIT: Also releveling a Shaman in Cata is looking more and more awesome to me. Going Goblin, of course. Most likely Enh/Resto.
Grrrr I'm jealous, my main is Resto (MS), Enhancement (OS) but I'm so sick of Draenei! I really want a Goblin as my main but don't want to go Horde (have a great Alliance guild anyway). I'll have to settle with race-changing to Dwarf and making a Goblin alt. Leaning towards Goblin rogue/warlock right now, can't wait to play them and my soon to be Worgen hunter :D

Alex

The new talent trees are really cool.

The realid stuff is still stupid but I don't understand the fervor from a bunch of people who don't play and who especially don't even use those forums.Those forums suck, who really cares in the end. If they were rad forums, I could see being annoyed, but they're useless.

if they had said they were taking the darn boards DOWN, it'd have caused less commotion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alex said:
The new talent trees are really cool.

The realid stuff is still stupid but I don't understand the fervor from a bunch of people who don't play and who especially don't even use those forums.Those forums suck, who really cares in the end. If they were rad forums, I could see being annoyed, but they're useless.

if they had said they were taking the darn boards DOWN, it'd have caused less commotion.
I'm sure you'll love filing a bug report or customer service request with your real name.

Alex

Angry Grimace said:
I'm sure you'll love filing a bug report or customer service request with your real name.

How is that different from ever. Support has always been able to see your account info, it would be silly if they couldn't.

J-Rzez

Alex said:
How is that different from ever. Support has always been able to see your account info, it would be silly if they couldn't.

I believe he's talking about when you have to resort to the CS segment of the forums once you can't get through to their call center for various reasons, and they don't get back to you via email for over 24hrs. Your last ditch effort is to post on the forums, which will include your real name.

ampere

J-Rzez said:
I believe he's talking about when you have to resort to the CS segment of the forums once you can't get through to their call center for various reasons, and they don't get back to you via email for over 24hrs. Your last ditch effort is to post on the forums, which will include your real name.
It's pretty stupid but I'm not sure if they'll end up going through with it after all the freakouts and the personal info of that Blizzard employee being pulled up so fast.

I see the idea they were going for, and it wasn't a terrible one (in a more perfect world). Unfortunately in this world of identity-theft and online-hiveminds it's not really a good thing to implement.

notworksafe

ciaossu said:
Grrrr I'm jealous, my main is Resto (MS), Enhancement (OS) but I'm so sick of Draenei! I really want a Goblin as my main but don't want to go Horde (have a great Alliance guild anyway). I'll have to settle with race-changing to Dwarf and making a Goblin alt. Leaning towards Goblin rogue/warlock right now, can't wait to play them and my soon to be Worgen hunter :D
I have an 80 Octopus myself (Resto/Ele). I was consdering transferring it, but I want to level a character from the start in the new world. Plus I want to leave it on Alliance just in case, because Dwarf Shaman is pretty awesome. It's the only thing that has me considering a return to the Alliance. :D

J-Rzez said:
I've had to do this. There was a pretty big problem back in BC where certain Macbooks were DCing in certain parts of the world and they were collecting all kinds of info to get it fixed.

SUPARSTARX

Played around with Cataclysm beta. I think a lot of people will not hang around major cities that often since you can fly everywhere and do whatever heh.

Alex

Oh, I've never had to use that. Again, I don't post on the forums. Between GM call, emails and calls it's just more pleasing to me to not have to sift through that hellhole, IMO. I can't imagine your overall support time would probably get much cranked by going through a liaison either.

I spoke out against it earlier, and I can see people being bothered, but I just fail to see how it's some gigantic issue. If you do want to post but are worried some crazy dude is going to jump through your window and steal your bread box, just keep your shit private, it's not like for a lot of folks you couldn't be tracked down pretty well by just typing in a username.

I mean heck I've typed in peoples usernames into google trying to find feedback for the buy/sell thread and gotten shit tons of information. It's pretty easy to be a stalker if you wish, nowadays!

The biggest issue on my mind remains...why? What does Blizzard honestly think this will accomplish.

That aside, I have to say that gaming side thread is just daffy. Some of the console-only folk here are the most screwball group you could ever hope to avoid.

Entropia

No One Remembers
There's a drink that you can continually drink to keep growing. I forget what the name of the drink is...Thunderbew ale?

Meier

I feel like back in the day before even TBC there was a ballin' leveling guide that everyone used.. it referenced specific quests or at the very least when to go to a new zone and for how many levels, etc. (Go to the area with the racing track (Salt flats or whatever) and then Tanaris, etc. etc.) Does anyone know of some sort of equivalent that exists these days? I would love to use it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SUPARSTARX said:
Played around with Cataclysm beta. I think a lot of people will not hang around major cities that often since you can fly everywhere and do whatever heh.
...you can fly in Northrend and people just stand around Dalaran. Why would it be any different. The plus side is that the load will be distributed in two different zones and servers instead of one (Horde will presumably hang around Orgrimmar and Alliance in IF/SW, not sure which one will be more popular.).

Eric WK

Meier said:
I feel like back in the day before even TBC there was a ballin' leveling guide that everyone used.. it referenced specific quests or at the very least when to go to a new zone and for how many levels, etc. (Go to the area with the racing track (Salt flats or whatever) and then Tanaris, etc. etc.) Does anyone know of some sort of equivalent that exists these days? I would love to use it.

Jame's Alliance/Horde levelling guides.

At work so I can't pull up the URL, but just Google it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Meier said:
The big one back then was Joanas for Horde.. and another one (not James) for Alliance. James had the free guides too but back then it was Joanas or bust. Had a bunch of Divx.com videos too.

Angry Grimace said:
...you can fly in Northrend and people just stand around Dalaran. Why would it be any different. The plus side is that the load will be distributed in two different zones and servers instead of one (Horde will presumably hang around Orgrimmar and Alliance in IF/SW, not sure which one will be more popular.).

Stormwind will be more popular on the Alliance side due to having the portals to the new zones stationed there.

HarryDemeanor said:
Stormwind will be more popular on the Alliance side due to having the portals to the new zones stationed there.

Ironforge was the place to be back in vanilla, but I guess that had more to do with it's flightpath to Blackrock mountain and auction house.

This RealID stuff on the forums is total bullshit, but (un)fortunately for me I was permabanned ages ago for showing some kid lemonparty

Gamesutra said:
Since Blizzard announced that its official forums would phase in mandatory use of its new "Real ID" system, which marks posts with their writers' real-life names, there has been a deluge of heated discussion about the decision, and Blizzard says it is "definitely listening to player feedback."

Source

Angry Grimace

ShallNoiseUpon said:
As I said, it's never going to happen, even if Blizzard claims it is. From the second they announced that, I said, "now there's a feature Blizzard will never implement."

notworksafe

Meier said:
The guide got made into an addon and it's fantastic. I'm using it now on my Warlock.

http://wow-pro.com/leveling_guides/wow_pro_leveling_addon

johnsmith

remember me
Ruby Sanctum was a huge disappointment. I'm getting ready to stop playing until Cata comes out. Sick and tired of the current content and have been for months now and Ruby Sanctum did nothing to change that.

Too bad I'm on a 6 month plan and I don't get billed again until November.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Angry Grimace said:
As I said, it's never going to happen, even if Blizzard claims it is. From the second they announced that, I said, "now there's a feature Blizzard will never implement."
It sounds like this has all been in the works for some time. They didnt expect backlash but the deal is done, its happening regardless of how many people complain.

I don't really care about the forums. I just see this as the next step in making Skynet Battle.net a Facebook/Steam thing with all your SC2 stats, WoW armory pages, and Diablo 3 armory pages all linked to your RealID and then forcing RealID in-game as well. It started with being forced to convert to Battle.net email addresses to log into WoW a while back. We're all already in it and when it happens you either play all of Blizzard's games with your real name or go play a less evil company's games. Like EA's.

Eric WK

So I'm going to do a realm transfer and a faction change tonight. Anybody know if I have to wait for one to be completed before beginning the other?

water_wendi said:
It sounds like this has all been in the works for some time. They didnt expect backlash but the deal is done, its happening regardless of how many people complain.

No it's not.

notworksafe

Eric WK said:
So I'm going to do a realm transfer and a faction change tonight. Anybody know if I have to wait for one to be completed before beginning the other?
Nope. Friend of mine did it to get over to A52 and switch to Horde in one purchase and he was just fine.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Eric WK said:
No it's not.
What makes you think that they arent going through with this? The reason i think they are is that there hasnt been a Blue post in over 25,000 posts in that thread. Honestly, i think the decision is out of Blizzards hands.

J-Rzez

johnsmith said:
Ruby Sanctum was a huge disappointment. I'm getting ready to stop playing until Cata comes out. Sick and tired of the current content and have been for months now and Ruby Sanctum did nothing to change that.

Too bad I'm on a 6 month plan and I don't get billed again until November.

Yo, HM25LK with every other hardmode achievement, then stfu, quit playin' EZ-mode.

On a serious note, I'm in the same boat. I was hoping to get into beta to have something to occupy myself with, but I didn't get in again. I just sold off all my emblems for saronites for the AH, selling off all my trade goods, and crafted items, stacks of pots/food. Just banking it all up for Cata. Soon as my pre-paid time is up, I'm freezing my account. Who knows if I'll even come back at this time the way things are going.

Paid some random dude from trade chat gold to faction change my human priest back to undead... I'm hope baby. Horde just feels so right. Been horde since launch but went human for about 8 months with friends. For some reason alliance is so fucking boring.

DarkAngelYuna said:
Paid some random dude from trade chat gold to faction change my human priest back to undead... I'm hope baby. Horde just feels so right. Been horde since launch but went human for about 8 months with friends. For some reason alliance is so fucking boring.
Explain to me how that worked? Paypal for gold?

did you give him your account info and he used his CC?

I dun get it, sounds shady.

Eric WK

water_wendi said:
What makes you think that they arent going through with this? The reason i think they are is that there hasnt been a Blue post in over 25,000 posts in that thread. Honestly, i think the decision is out of Blizzards hands.

I said that with the thinking that they can't be that dumb. But you know what? Maybe they are.

It's a very dumb idea and I think the example of how easy it was to track down so much info on the Blizz employee should be enough to make them backpedal here.

Pookaki said:
Explain to me how that worked? Paypal for gold?

did you give him your account info and he used his CC?

I dun get it, sounds shady.

I don't know the normal way of doing since it was my first time. But gold for faction change\ or xfer is getting a little common on Blackrock horde. We were both kinda nervous for after just talking on skype and playing for a few days he put the $30 onto one of those prepaid mastercards, I gave him half the gold and he gave me all the info so that I could pay for it, I then paid him the rest 20 minutes later when I was undead.

Don't get my wrong its dangerous even with the prepaid credit cards but I just hate alliance so much and am having trouble finding a job so I didn't wanna pay it..

water_wendi said:

They are discussing it, and changing their stance on it. I am pretty sure they won't go through with this but do something else. They will sell it as "we listened to your feedback and..." < and people will cheer and be happy.

It's not going in, not with this backslash. It's unlike anything I have seen, perhaps since NGE.

Evlar

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Ironforge was the place to be back in vanilla, but I guess that had more to do with it's flightpath to Blackrock mountain and auction house.

This RealID stuff on the forums is total bullshit, but (un)fortunately for me I was permabanned ages ago for showing some kid lemonparty
It had most to do with the flightpath from IF to Menethil Harbor, the fact that both Alliance boats to Kalimdor ran out of Menethil, and that the second-most populous race (NElf) had to travel through Menethil to connect with the rest of the faction.

This was even more important before the Tram was patched in. On launch day it was considerably easier for Dwarves, Gnomes, and NElves to group up in low levels than for humans to get to any other Alliance race, or for the rest of the Alliance to get to them, without the help of a mage.

EDIT: And once IF became established it was impossible to loosen its grip until two things happened. First, the Auction Houses for each faction were finally linked, years later. Prior to this each auction house was distinct, resulting in everyone flocking to one city, which for the reasons mentioned above was Ironforge. Even after the Tram was put in the IF auction house was the de facto heart of the Alliance. Second, with the release of WotLK Stormwind Harbor was patched in and the NElf boat was moved there from Menethil. That finally put Ironforge out of the way of the three most populous races... and now it's relatively empty compared to the hey days of Lagforge.

JesseZao

Evlar said:
It had most to do with the flightpath from IF to Menethil Harbor, the fact that both Alliance boats to Kalimdor ran out of Menethil, and that the second-most populous race (NElf) had to travel through Menethil to connect with the rest of the faction.

This was even more important before the Tram was patched in. On launch day it was considerably easier for Dwarves, Gnomes, and NElves to group up in low levels than for humans to get to any other Alliance race, or for the rest of the Alliance to get to them, without the help of a mage.

EDIT: And once IF became established it was impossible to loosen its grip until two things happened. First, the Auction Houses for each faction were finally linked, years later. Prior to this each auction house was distinct, resulting in everyone flocking to one city, which for the reasons mentioned above was Ironforge. Even after the Tram was put in the IF auction house was the de facto heart of the Alliance. Second, with the release of WotLK Stormwind Harbor was patched in and the NElf boat was moved there from Menethil. That finally put Ironforge out of the way of the three most populous races... and now it's relatively empty compared to the hey days of Lagforge.

I've always preferred stormwind for some reason, even though it was less convenient. Probably because it wasn't as laggy. I started playing vanilla after the tram though.

Meier

water_wendi said:
The big one back then was Joanas for Horde.. and another one (not James) for Alliance. James had the free guides too but back then it was Joanas or bust. Had a bunch of Divx.com videos too.
You nailed it. Good call... I remember even installing DivX specifically just to watch "her" videos. :lol I'll look into it and the other one

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Meier said:
You nailed it. Good call... I remember even installing DivX specifically just to watch "her" videos. :lol I'll look into it and the other one
ive leveled so many characters in the 3-4 years since then i have it damn near memorized :lol Even non-orc/troll character i move immediately to Valley of Trials. Even doing the whole backwards walk/killing as i would questing until level 40 mount :lol

i cant for the life of me remember the popular Alliance one. Was around long before Joanas and they made a big thing about TomTom intergration that didnt work that well at the start.. i think Joana made the Horde guide in response to both it and winning that "4day xhours played" challenge thing from the forums.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Despite all of the issues with Real ID at the moment, it has caused myself and a bunch of RL friends to converge on the same server for both hi-jinx AND shenanigans. Wish we'd gotten down to this sooner, but better late than never. Good times!

JesseZao

Mr Nash said:
Despite all of the issues with Real ID at the moment, it has caused myself and a bunch of RL friends to converge on the same server for both hi-jinx AND shenanigans. Wish we'd gotten down to this sooner, but better late than never. Good times!

Secret motives? :D

Always feels good rollin' with RL pals. Probably why I'm not as connected to wow since there aren't really any RL friends left in the game.

Cipherr

They are working the misdirection hard on this real ID stuff.

Quick! Post the new 31 point talent tree changes!

Quick! Get the beta servers back up!

Quick! Change our stance on the transparency of in game calculations!

Quick! Have Ghostcrawler reply to talent tree thread for 13 HOURS STRAIGHT answering ANY and everyones questions! Wow that NEVER happens.

:lol :lol Shits ridiculous. I called it too, before I clicking on that thread I bet that he would be posting a lot today, but holy shit did they have him on overdrive trying to hype the gamers up. Guy is NEVER that freaking active. EVER.

Theres going to be an ASSload of beta invites going out this week lol.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Puncture said:

Quick! Have Ghostcrawler reply to talent tree thread for 13 HOURS STRAIGHT answering ANY and everyones questions! Wow that NEVER happens.

:lol :lol Shits ridiculous. I called it too, before I clicking on that thread I bet that he would be posting a lot today, but holy shit did they have him on overdrive trying to hype the gamers up. Guy is NEVER that freaking active. EVER.

Thats hilarious :lol Sad part is that there hasnt been a blue reply in the Real ID Forum thread for 30,000 posts now.

firex

on the subject of the talent changes, I am going to go ahead and theorycraft the active skills/spells given to each talent tree on level 10. Keep in mind I am just guessing based upon what Blizzard said already, so some of these we know for sure (shaman, warrior) and others they didn't even mention.

Warrior we already know, Arms gets MS, Fury gets BT, Prot gets Shield Slam.

Shaman we already know, Ele - Thunderstorm, Enh - Lava Lash, Resto - Earth Shield

Rogue we know 2/3 (Assassin - Mutilate, Sub - Shadowstep) and I am going to guess Combat will get Adrenaline Rush. Unless they come up with something new that isn't a cooldown for combat rogues, but I don't think they'll give all combat rogues riposte unless it gets redesigned.

Hunter I am going to guess will be broken down like this: BM - Bestial Wrath, possibly exotic pet taming as the passive at level 10, MM - Aimed Shot (most obvious one to me), Surv - Explosive Shot (Black Arrow is too similar to Serpent Sting and Wyvern Sting is too group/pvp oriented, plus they don't have to juggle talents like tnt/lock n load and move them deeper down the tree)

Paladin: Holy - Divine Light (a new talent in the current beta build, it's basically the "long, efficient big heal" for paladins so it makes sense to have this be the holy paladin's unique spell at level 10 before they run into content that needs beacon of light or divine illumination), Prot - Holy Shield (this seems the most obvious to me, especially after they said no HotR), Ret - Divine Storm (blizzard confirmed this and said they get a new ultimate talent in cata)

Priest: Disc/Shadow we already know (Penance/Mind Flay respectively), Holy probably gets something completely new because they already admitted they can't even figure out which of the current capstone Holy talents would fit a level 10 character at all

Warlock: Affliction - Haunt (I think this makes more sense than UA because it immediately says "you specialize in dots"), Demo - Soul Link (pretty heavily hinted by saying no felguard at 10, and wanting to make it so SL isn't seen as a necessary talent for other builds), Dest - Conflag (easily the defining destruction talent, the only other option I see is shadowburn and who knows if that spell even continues to exist after this beta build comes out)

Mage: we already know Frost gets the water elemental at level 10, so I expect Arcane will get Arcane Barrage and Fire will get Dragon's Breath or Blast Wave, with Living Bomb as a dark horse candidate. I think Dragon's Breath/Blast Wave because either spell immediately helps a leveling fire mage deal with stuff getting to them in melee while they are still lower level and squishy.

Druid: Balance - Typhoon, Feral - Feral charge (more straightforward than getting mangle, easy to award to either feral spec early before deciding if they are going bear or cat or both), Resto - Swiftmend (they clearly want this to be a bigger part of their healing arsenal and I think it would address any problems low level resto druids might have with the lack of a quick heal, though I forget what level they get regrowth in the new cata leveling revamp)

DK: Blood - Heart strike, Frost - Frost strike, Unholy - Scourge strike. Possibly too bland but I think the first two are guaranteed, with SS maybe being swapped for something else. Then again they could shock us all and give all frost DKs hungering cold or howling blast since they start out at 55, and give unholy UB.

ampere

Puncture said:

:lol :lol What a hunter you are :p

Yeah that's hilarious, GC did reply to tons and tons of posts, I'm sure it is an effort to fight the backlash. Especially considering he's someone who has always had his real name known to the WoW players.

The smaller trees and tree choice sounds interesting. This goes well with other changes to the leveling experience like starting Hunters with a pet and the pop up messages you get now when you level. For a long time I have believed that the reason you see so many bad players at 80 is because Blizzard does a poor job of teaching players how to play in the game.

Really, the way the trees were looking just last week, it didn't look like they were working for what they said they wanted to do with them. There was still a bunch of crap talents all over and I really didn't feel like I had 10 points left over to just do whatever I wanted with. I just felt like I was forced to take utility talents along the way to get to the bottom of the tree.

As far as a defining Combat Rogue spell, I'd say it's Adrenaline Rush too. Well, Sinister Strike too, but everyone starts out with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom