• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably keep my warrior for tanking since it can be really fun, but I'm making my paladin specifically for soloing awesome stuff. There's no way most classes can do that.

CassSept

Deputy Moonman said:
Paladin if for no other reason than they can solo just about anything. Druids and Warriors can't even come close to what pally's can do solo. Pisses me off in a way. :lol But if you're just wanting something new and fun to play, warriors do not disappoint.
Warriors are weak now though, probably the worst tanks at the moment.
Paladins on the other hand, holy crap. Ardent Defender is just too good =D And all the possibilities when it comes to soloing, ardent defender, cooldowns, lay on hands. Prot paladin are just too good. They are probably the best choice if you want to have a tank

J-Rzez

Warriors and DK's are probably the most fun tanks I've played with, lots of cd's, rotations, and procs to play with. Paladins are the most OP at the moment though. Plus, if you get bored with instantly being picked as a tank, you can instantly get picked up for being a Holydin tank healing and buffing away. Plus, you have a lot of options in PVP as well (Holy, Ret, Prot-Ret, Prot-Holy).

They're the most versatile class in the game, that's actually good at everything it's doing, plus I'm sure they'll still be good come Cata considering they have to add in some new talents and such in the trees.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
CassSept said:
Warriors are weak now though, probably the worst tanks at the moment.
Paladins on the other hand, holy crap. Ardent Defender is just too good =D And all the possibilities when it comes to soloing, ardent defender, cooldowns, lay on hands. Prot paladin are just too good. They are probably the best choice if you want to have a tank

Warriors weak? Worst tanks?

No. You probably only been playing with shitty warrior tanks. It's just a class that requires more skill than a paladin, so the regular "noob" WoW player usually suck at playing the class and just go with the "OP" paladin. I've seen too many prot warriors who don't use Vigilance, who doesn't even have Revenge in their top 3 attacks, and so on. I can solo stuff just fine with my warrior. I did all the group quests in Icecrown for the achievement by myself since getting a group there is almost impossible.

firex

I can't really comment on warrior tanking because my warrior is still 79, but it's not been much harder than my paladin. I use more buttons, but that's a good thing. I'm probably going to play this instead of my paladin in cataclysm because paladins right now have like, nothing cool in cataclysm. But if they get an awesome talent revamp, then I guess I can play my paladin instead.

Retro

firex said:
I can't really comment on warrior tanking because my warrior is still 79, but it's not been much harder than my paladin. I use more buttons, but that's a good thing. I'm probably going to play this instead of my paladin in cataclysm because paladins right now have like, nothing cool in cataclysm. But if they get an awesome talent revamp, then I guess I can play my paladin instead.

Personally, I hope Prot will get some tweaks to make it more interesting... but Blizzard loves to crush Paladin Hope, so probably not. :lol

1. Having Holy Shock no longer makes Avenger's Shield quite so valuable, since it was implemented in a time when Paladins had no pulls or ranged taunts. Since they now have both, the value of Avenger's Shield may just drop enough that it may appear very early in the Protection Tree, making it something Holy might grab to pump up their solo/DPS ability. The reason is simple; it requires a shield, so it won't be appealing to Ret Paladins except as a macro-heavy trick or opener.

2. Blessing of Sanctuary is now a passive, and it's probably going to get rolled into the new talent system so that all Prot-spec paladins automatically receive its benefits. So that's an active ability they have to replace.

3. Nobody knows what the Protection Spec-defining ability is yet; people are saying Holy Shield, Avenger's Shield, or even Hammer of the Righteous. It doesn't matter which is picked though, because making any of those three the Level 10 ability means there's another gap in the tree that needs an active ability, so that's two new active abilities they'll need to implement.

So basically, Tankadins in Cataclysm will utilize Crusader Strike and Holy Shock, plus they're all but guaranteed to be getting two new active abilities in their tree.

firex

It's not HotR. They already said that. It might be Avenger's Shield, but I think it will be Holy Shield. Maybe not though... Holy Shield might be like the new 11 point talent or something. I think at this point people will be getting their 11 point talents at level 30 or so, so I don't know if it's better to give them a survivability tool early or an aggro/pulling tool early.

But it sounds like people get way more than just two passives when they put their first talent point in at level 10, so I think they will get spiritual attunement and sanctuary at the same time. Plus BoK in cataclysm = gift of the wild, so I can see why they did away with it as a buff.

I expect Holy paladins to get a heal at level 10 just because that's the easiest way to give them that slow, efficient heal they want all healers to have, without making it a talent they wouldn't get until like level 30 or something.

I have an 80 Warlock, an 80 Warrior, both in decent gear, and then I have a 30 Shaman. I'd really like to have a Paladin, but I don't want to have to level another toon from 1-80 again. I despise leveling. I was hoping Blizz would allow gnome paladins for the expansion, but nope. So there is no reason for me to not just start leveling a paladin right now.

firex

I made a priest and got him to level 10, and I'll probably continue playing him later on. It's such a boring class until level 30 or so in my experience, but at least with heirlooms it won't be too bad to get that far.

Alcoori

firex said:
I made a priest and got him to level 10, and I'll probably continue playing him later on. It's such a boring class until level 30 or so in my experience, but at least with heirlooms it won't be too bad to get that far.

Tell me about it, rerolled a priest and am lvl17 right now. Compared to my DK it's day and night. Always so quickly oom.

Bisnic

If you want a tip for a low lvl priest, just go & heal dungeons until Shadowform at least. It's way faster than running around spamming Smite or SW:p and wanding.

firex

I figured I'd do that, but I have to hit level 15 first. Although I also want to do most of the old world stuff I haven't done in so long that I forgot most of it, aside from the level ranges of the zones.

J-Rzez

firex said:

Yeah, considering that the easiest way to kill things early on is to whack them with your heirloom staff, there's problems with the class. Even still, I got mine up to 73 now, and it's VT, MB, SW:p, maybe a mindflay, but then it's just wanding. The class needs to be redone, despite that at end game they do a damn good bit of damage in PVE and PVP.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
DarkAngelYuna said:
Blizzard pays PVPers, are pvers being paid by them to raid now?

Oh, just had to look up the current top PVERs. Top 13 are USA not EU, not even until then do the EU start showing up,

whaaat?

Since when do you just get paid for pvping :lol There's tournaments and stuff, but that doesn't mean dick.

Griffin

DarkAngelYuna said:
Blizzard pays PVPers, are pvers being paid by them to raid now?

Oh, just had to look up the current top PVERs. Top 13 are USA not EU, not even until then do the EU start showing up,

Not sure if serious, but you know that Ensidia (worlds best guild) is European?

Also, Blizzard only helds tournaments yearly where you can win money. They don't give the players a monthly salary or something.

Anyways, I stopped playing WoW. I'm not pleased with Blizzard's actions now it's been taken over by some MBA parasites.

CassSept

Griffin said:
Not sure if serious, but you know that Ensidia (worlds best guild) is European?
Ummm not really, Paragon is now hands down the best guild in the world. Too bad they are finnish only.
The only guild that killed LK on 5% buff, which many thought to be impossible.
In Halion top10 there are 5 european guilds and 4 US guilds, even though in Europe Halion was released one day later and the servers were unplayable until after 7pm :p
I'm not even mentioning that first US guild to kill LK was 9th in the world...

Seriously, when it comes to PvE USA is way behind Europe.

Tacitus_

CassSept said:
Ummm not really, Paragon is now hands down the best guild in the world. Too bad they are finnish only.
In Halion top10 there are 5 european guilds and 4 US guilds, even though in Europe Halion was released one day later and the servers were unplayable until after 7pm :p

As a member of a finnish only guild I love to post this gif whenever I can

2a7apw8.gif

no I'm not in Paragon

I am unable to queue for Heroic Halls of Reflection because my gear isn't good enough. My gear is mostly purples and some blues. I read somewhere that they are including the gear in your bags and in the bank when rating if you're good enough. Is that true because that is just plain retarded.

The Lamonster said:
I am unable to queue for Heroic Halls of Reflection because my gear isn't good enough. My gear is mostly purples and some blues. I read somewhere that they are including the gear in your bags and in the bank when rating if you're good enough. Is that true because that is just plain retarded.

No one really knows what goes into the internal lockouts made by Blizzard, but it's not difficult to be allowed to queue for H HoR. If you still have blues, you shouldn't be there. It's ilevel 232 content.

Alcoori

It's just based on the level of your gear. You could have purples being lvl200 gear, they definitely won't help you.

Make sure you have all your T9 (just chain heroics) and that the rest of your gear is mostly 232 (226 maybe). You can have one or two lvl200/213 pieces, but most of it has to be 232 minimum.

It's understandable given how the instance requires every one to be able to either DPS correctly or heal/resist.

markot

Banned
Alcoori said:
It's just based on the level of your gear. You could have purples being lvl200 gear, they definitely won't help you.

Make sure you have all your T9 (just chain heroics) and that the rest of your gear is mostly 232 (226 maybe). You can have one or two lvl200/213 pieces, but most of it has to be 232 minimum.

It's understandable given how the instance requires every one to be able to either DPS correctly or heal/resist.
Its not that demanding >_< if you have all lvl 232 gear, then the instance is kinda useless as that is the gear level it drops.

Just get rid of any greens, I think you need to have mostly 200+ gear, any greens or lower blues screw you.

Retro

So, haven't seen this mentioned yet, but...

[Fractured Cogwheel]
+132 Mastery Rating
Requires Engineering (525)
"Only fits in a Cogwheel socket."

[Smooth Cogwheel]
+132 Critical Strike Rating
"Only fits in a Cogwheel socket."

Quick Cogwheel
- +132 Haste Rating
Subtle Cogwheel - +132 Dodge Rating

[Rigid Hydraulic Pump]

+132 Hit Strike Rating
"Only fits in a Hydraulic socket."

[Sparkling Hydraulic Pump]
+132 Spirit
"Only fits in a Hydraulic socket."

Flashing Hydraulic Pump - +132 Parry Rating
Precise Hydraulic Pump - +132 Expertise Rating

I'm thinking these new sockets are either an Engineering item similar to the blacksmithing belt buckle, or they're something baked into high level Engineering items (like guns, helms, etc.).

I'm glad I was planning to go Engineering with my Goblin Hunter, it sounds like they're actually getting something cool that isn't a just a toy.

Alcoori

markot said:
Its not that demanding >_< if you have all lvl 232 gear, then the instance is kinda useless as that is the gear level it drops.

Just get rid of any greens, I think you need to have mostly 200+ gear, any greens or lower blues screw you.

Well maybe not if you're a DPS, but as a tank, dunno if the healer sucks or if I do but haven't succeeded in finishing it despite my GS being 4780 :(

But yeah, you're right might have gone overboard there :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CassSept said:

We take our video games less seriously than Euros.

No seriously, who fucking cares.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Retro said:
Personally, I hope Prot will get some tweaks to make it more interesting... but Blizzard loves to crush Paladin Hope, so probably not. :lol

1. Having Holy Shock no longer makes Avenger's Shield quite so valuable, since it was implemented in a time when Paladins had no pulls or ranged taunts. Since they now have both, the value of Avenger's Shield may just drop enough that it may appear very early in the Protection Tree, making it something Holy might grab to pump up their solo/DPS ability. The reason is simple; it requires a shield, so it won't be appealing to Ret Paladins except as a macro-heavy trick or opener.

2. Blessing of Sanctuary is now a passive, and it's probably going to get rolled into the new talent system so that all Prot-spec paladins automatically receive its benefits. So that's an active ability they have to replace.

3. Nobody knows what the Protection Spec-defining ability is yet; people are saying Holy Shield, Avenger's Shield, or even Hammer of the Righteous. It doesn't matter which is picked though, because making any of those three the Level 10 ability means there's another gap in the tree that needs an active ability, so that's two new active abilities they'll need to implement.

So basically, Tankadins in Cataclysm will utilize Crusader Strike and Holy Shock, plus they're all but guaranteed to be getting two new active abilities in their tree.
If Avenger's Shield was anywhere remotely accessible, it's a borderline OP talent for PvP because it works as both a gap closer AND an interrupt. I can't see them allowing Retribution to take it.

firex

It only works as an interrupt with the deeper prot synergy. Although it's funny you say that when gap closer + interrupt are exactly what they are going to give retribution paladins for pvp.

CassSept

funkmastergeneral said:
Who gives a shit about this stuff. So what that there are more mouth breathing, neck beard wearing nerds in Europe with too much time on their hands?
:lol :lol
I was just responding to his post, chill people. And seriously, those "mouth breathing, neck beard wearing nerds" raid less than an average guild, I really don't know where this stereotype comes from. Jealousy or what:lol

Calantus

I just resubbed, my mage was hacked but luckily a lot of his gear was vendor (t9), so i didn't lose a lot. Now just farming badges for heirloom gear for my worgen warrior i'm gonna be rolling with a buddy.

CassSept

Calantus said:
I just resubbed, my mage was hacked but luckily a lot of his gear was vendor (t9), so i didn't lose a lot. Now just farming badges for heirloom gear for my worgen warrior i'm gonna be rolling with a buddy.
Did they steal your gold too? If not, you could invest in ToC crafts, they are pretty cheap now considering their quality.

Calantus

CassSept said:
Did they steal your gold too? If not, you could invest in ToC crafts, they are pretty cheap now considering their quality.

Well, they stole most of my gold, but apparently they farmed 70 eternal fires and ~1000 relics of ulduar. It made up for what they took. Blizzard suspended the account before they could sell all of it.

I'm gonna go and see about the ToC crafts, might be worth it, thanks.

J-Rzez

Seeds said:
Blizzard never sends emails asking me to verify my account by login into a site provided in the emails, right?

I've been getting tons of phishing emails lately. One of the links I inspected was actually "www.us-battlenet-lolgotu.com or something to that effect.

Usually the poor English was a dead give away, but I believe they probably gave some kid from the states 5000g to make up letters that are actually close to what Blizzard sends out.

Yeah, it's alway funny to see the name of the person sending you a pm or letter. The last one I got was from someone named Blizzarzd, like that's going to fool anyone into thinking they're a blizzard employee.

Bisnic

Speaking of this... every week, i check my junkmail box to see all the crap that is there, and usually there is 6 different emails warning me to log on their website to secure my WoW & Aion accounts because they are expiring or been caught exploiting.

The funniest part is that i never played Aion in my life.

jersoc

What sucks about all those scam emails is that gmail now flags legit blizzard emails.

I really wish blizzard would give us a wow email address that blocks every domain but blizzard's. I almost missed some important stuff because of all their emails are marked spam now.

jersoc said:
What sucks about all those scam emails is that gmail now flags legit blizzard emails.

I really wish blizzard would give us a wow email address that blocks every domain but blizzard's. I almost missed some important stuff because of all their emails are marked spam now.
What kinds of important e-mails do you get from Blizzard? The only e-mail I ever got from them was an invite for the StarCraft II beta.

Bisnic

The Lamonster said:
What kinds of important e-mails do you get from Blizzard? The only e-mail I ever got from them was an invite for the StarCraft II beta.

Probably stuff like Blizzcon invites or character transfer details for WoW.

jersoc

The Lamonster said:

My blizzcon stuff went to spam. My ticket went to spam. It's not often, but it's a pain because the ticket email sat for almost a week until I checked my spam out of the blue.

edit:plus the added benefit that you know the emails you are getting are legit. would probably cut way down on the phishing scams.

firex

So mmo-champion has a small Engineering preview up. Looks pretty good, which leads me to believe that the cataclysm belt enchants will wind up inferior because of belt buckles, and every other profession is going to be amazing since all they get otherwise is good scopes and new goggles. Though with a name like "kill-shades," I really hope they wind up looking like some Duke Nukem style sunglasses. And I hope they're upgradeable, along with whatever guns/bows they add.

Also they get their own sockets and gems, even if they aren't called gems (cogwheels and hydraulic pumps) so I guess they get to socket some gear or something. The gems are pretty nice. The only one that affects a base stat is a spirit gem, while the rest are all ratings. It's basically an extra 132 to tank/dps/healer/caster ratings for red/blue sockets, but called something else to be engineer exclusive.

J-Rzez

Hopefully the new engineering helms, like, "Killshades" are mirrored aviator style sunglasses. They'd ooze the coolness like they do in real life. Hopefully all the lesser armors than plate all look like Kanye West's fav sunglasses. Except the Rogue model, that should be like the ones Horatio "Caine" (not Laine lol) wears. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom