• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Bisnic said:
I see what you mean, but it will just be ridiculous going from a green 2 hand sword from Storm Peaks that does 132 DPS(and maybe you won't even need to quest in Storm Peaks, so your green weapon might be even weaker) to a green 2 hand sword from Hyjal that might do 320 DPS(assuming the DPS is similar to a ICC heroic 25 weapon). Again, hopefully they will adjust the health of regular mobs so that they don't die in 2 or 3 hits like the current lvl 80 regular mobs in Icecrown.
Remember that, while ilvl 272, these items are green, so despite the ilvl they are heavily constrained when it comes to budget available to the item compared to epic items of the same ilvl.
For example, this sword already existing in Cata beta:
http://cata.wowhead.com/item=57294
Has 280 dps (which is between normal ICC10 and heroic ToC25), but only 152 strength and no sockets at all.
Ilvl is not everything, quality also matters so epic items few tiers below will be better than these quest items. Remember that right now pretty much anyone who wants it is rocking ilvl 232/245 gear, while in TBC an average player had gear closer to T4 level.

PatzCU

Can anyone recommend a decent action bar mod that will swap bars when I use dual-spec AND keep my key binds? For example, I use the same exact key binds for my different specs, I just associate the binds with different actions depending on the spec.

I looked up Bartender4 but it looks like it has some issues.

Thanks!

Xiaoki

CassSept said:
Well, WotLK quest items started at ilvl 138 which was the level of Kael/Vashj and just under BT/MH.
Quest items starting at ilvl 272 isn't that shocking if you remember WotLK gear inflation (277 compared to SWP's 159) and decreased difficulty of acquiring much better gear.
Yeah, the ilevel was comparable but the not items themselves.
The blue quest axe in Borean Tundra was only marginally(and I do mean marginally) better than Gorehowl from Prince Malchezaar in Karazhan.
Fjord/Tundra quest greens were on the same level as TBC heroic 5 man epics.

Cataclysm is WoWs biggest gear reset to date. Yeah, you could use Cataclysm JC gems to boost your Icecrown gear but that will only delay replacements another level. Expect all Icecrown gear to be completely obsolete by level 83.

Evlar

Banned
PatzCU said:
Can anyone recommend a decent action bar mod that will swap bars when I use dual-spec AND keep my key binds? For example, I use the same exact key binds for my different specs, I just associate the binds with different actions depending on the spec.

I looked up Bartender4 but it looks like it has some issues.

Thanks!
I use Bartender 4 to do that...

J-Rzez

They need to show off these new talent trees already, I don't know why it takes so long for them to show off something that they've been working on forever according to GC.

So I'm off today and while the FF beta lags on (still didn't download), I figure hey, I'm bored and I'll jump on WoW for a lil. Maint extended, again. Blizzard really has to get their shit together here. Just extend the maint times already so people don't ever expect them to be up on time.

notworksafe

2usj4ld.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
I see what you mean, but it will just be ridiculous going from a green 2 hand sword from Storm Peaks that does 132 DPS(and maybe you won't even need to quest in Storm Peaks, so your green weapon might be even weaker) to a green 2 hand sword from Hyjal that might do 320 DPS(assuming the DPS is similar to a ICC heroic 25 weapon). Again, hopefully they will adjust the health of regular mobs so that they don't die in 2 or 3 hits like the current lvl 80 regular mobs in Icecrown.
Well they designed it around that raid gear. The inflation will be ridiculous from WLK items to Cata items for sure, but, for lack of better words, big deal.

Also, those quest items won't necessarily be better; recall that items have more properties than just item; quality is also relevant; i.e. there are lvl 200 blues and lvl 200 purples and they don't have identical stats.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The 272 items have a lot more stamina, mastery rating, etc.

However with the lack of gems... most times your icc 265/277 epics will be better..

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
http://i30.tinypic.com/2usj4ld.jpg[/IMG]

I think many people are interested in seeing these trees they claim they were working on forever, as this is possibly going to be the biggest change in Cata, so why not just show them off? And, I guess I should know better about maint days by now.

Also saw some of the armor changes so far:

277 items

cloth chest - 369armor
plate chest - 2800 armor

cata items
cloth- 1200 armor
plate - 3000 ...

As someone in the beta pointed. Throw in the buffs like innerfire and stuff, armor is going to be a bit different this time around. Plus throw in that there won't be nearly the same HP-pool differences this time, I'm curious to see how PVP is going to balance out here, as the end of Wrath has been a lopsided casters paradise.

notworksafe

Well they have said it's be "days or a few weeks" before we'd see them. Something tells me the patch will coincide with the large amount of beta invites that are supposed to be coming this week.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Well they have said it's be "days or a few weeks" before we'd see them. Something tells me the patch will coincide with the large amount of beta invites that are supposed to be coming this week.
I can't wait for the incoming flood of "I didn't get an invite" posts.

notworksafe

Mine is already prepped and ready to go. It includes silly demands, begging, and rage at not being picked even though I've been paying Blizzard for X number of years.

People have real anger problems, its kinda sad.

I killed a Warrior in Icecrown today, after a bunch of his buddies (in ICC25 gear) were crushing my priest guildy during his dailies.

After I got him, he jumped on a lvl 1 Belf and proceeds to go nuts on me via PMs. Apparently, it wasn't a "valid kill" (his words) since I came from behind him while he was obliterating my friends poorly geared priest.

He rambled on and on for about 10 mins. Anyone have this happen to them? This is the first time its happened to me. Not going to lie, it was kinda fun seeing him get so worked up over it. :p

Angry Grimace

MattPeters said:

I killed a Warrior in Icecrown today, after a bunch of his buddies (in ICC25 gear) were crushing my priest guildy during his dailies.

After I got him, he jumped on a lvl 1 Belf and proceeds to go nuts on me via PMs. Apparently, it wasn't a "valid kill" (his words) since I came from behind him while he was obliterating my friends poorly geared priest.

He rambled on and on for about 10 mins. Anyone have this happen to them? This is the first time its happened to me. Not going to lie, it was kinda fun seeing him get so worked up over it. :p
That happens all the time. Pretty much normal. I'd say 50% of pvp world kills result in lvl 1 alt bitching.

Angry Grimace said:
That happens all the time. Pretty much normal. I'd say 50% of pvp world kills result in lvl 1 alt bitching.
I've never experienced that at all. I do gank on occasion. I never kill someone while they are fighting something. Its usually a mutual duel.

I guess that's why, then.

Evlar

Banned
MattPeters said:

You can't attack from behind now? He must REALLY rage at rogues. That Belf alt must get a shitload of playtime.

Angry Grimace

Pookaki said:
I've never experienced that at all. I do gank on occasion. I never kill someone while they are fighting something. Its usually a mutual duel.

I guess that's why, then.
That sounds like a lot of un-fun. Ruining their shit is the purpose of world PVP. If I wanted to do fair duels, I'd queue a BG or something.

J-Rzez

MattPeters said:

Next time /hug before you attack, then after you kill them /mock. They love when you do that stuff. I got someone so mad before by doing that they harassed me for 20mins straight, reported them, got them banned, then a week later I got a message "I didn't forget". :lol

Angry Grimace said:
That sounds like a lot of un-fun. Ruining their shit is the purpose of world PVP. If I wanted to do fair duels, I'd queue a BG or something.
I dunno, to me its more fun to get someone when you know that they have a chance at getting you as well. On my rogue I always sap the person, let the sap fall off, then distract to let them know that I am coming.

I know that most people don't do it that way, I don't mind when I am on the receiving end of it. Its that much better when I win :). If I die I just go back to my corpse, not a big deal.

J-Rzez

Pookaki said:
I dunno, to me its more fun to get someone when you know that they have a chance at getting you as well. On my rogue I always sap the person, let the sap fall off, then distract to let them know that I am coming.

I know that most people don't do it that way, I don't mind when I am on the receiving end of it. Its that much better when I win :). If I die I just go back to my corpse, not a big deal.

You're doing it wrong, what you do is attack them while they're attacking a mob, beat them down and let the mob actually finish them off.

Didnt know it was so prevalent. :lol

I just kept laughing, and poking him to get him angrier. He said that he created and alli just to kill horde. So I responded I created a horde, to kill Alli... "and I just killed you :) "

Wonder if I'll ever hear from my little Warrior friend again.

"You're doing it wrong, what you do is attack them while they're attacking a mob, beat them down and let the mob actually finish them off."

Thats brilliant :lol

J-Rzez said:
You're doing it wrong, what you do is attack them while they're attacking a mob, beat them down and let the mob actually finish them off.
:lol thats really messed up. Not only do they get their ego bruised, but they would take durability damage as well.

....must....resist...temptation...

Alex

I have absolutely no honor in video game land, I would shoot you from 10,000 yards up in the air with a cannon while you were doing your taxes If I had the chance.

I don't get upset at games, nor am I more than mildly competitive, so to me just being a loon is quite fun. I mean, I like to win, and it's not fun to die, but it's part of the game, and getting outraged at your opponent for having the sheer audacity to win is just silly. Pay more attention, work on strategy, move on.

For world PvP if you get caught off guard while doing stuff, it's your own fault for letting yourself get into a dangerous situation while assuming no one will mess with you. ESPECAILLY if you are a person who does that to other people already!

J-Rzez

What can I say? My first toon was a Rogue, and on a PVP server, so I came up with many plots to grief people. Kinda like stealthing into a city, shadow stepping up to an auctioneer and killing all of them while people are busy trying to buy/sell stuff. Oh man, the memories.

Alex

I want another 97-98 Ultima Online, where I leave poisoned cheese wheels in the streets for new players to consume, or simply enjoy a good drive by robbery.

The world needs another MMO where you can just act like an ass hat.

firex

J-Rzez said:
Or purge their slowfall buff when they try to burst you from their flying mount with instants, and then parachute cloak to safety

J-Rzez

firex said:
Or purge their slowfall buff when they try to burst you from their flying mount with instants, and then parachute cloak to safety

If I remember correctly I got one person before with something similar, using my rocket gloves to knock their slowfall off and hit my parachute. They didn't get to recast slowfall because I think I caught them off guard. Oh man, good times.

Xabora said:
weeeee, I got a beta key!

You just get it via your bnet?

Sciz

New beta build seems to be out. Commence F5ing your news site of choice (or just talk to us directly if you're one of those lucky bastards few).

Impressive Video making: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf93lF807Hs

It puts things into perspective. For better or worse we should treasure these last months with this legendary game, because for Cata on, things will never be same.. for better or worse.

I am sure many will say that "WOTLK was better" just like everybody is saying BC is better now. But when BC came out everyone was "vanilla is better". People forget.

Walrusses don't.

notworksafe

I wonder if the Client download includes patches? Probably going to take forever downloading content before I can even get in the game...assuming I get an invite.

Weenerz

Banned
No, but when you initially launch the client, it starts to patch just like on live. Took me about an hour to download, install and patch the entire thing the other day.

notworksafe

Yep, new trees are in!

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Beta Patch Notes

Welcome to the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta test! Patch notes listed here are not comprehensive and will be changed throughout the testing process.

General

* The Alliance starting experience for worgen is available. Venture through the cursed lands of Gilneas to discover your true path! Currently the female worgen character is not available for testing.
* The Horde starting experience for goblins is available. Beginning on the Isle of Kezan in a goblin paradise, players will face a treacherous road ahead!
* The level cap for all characters is 83.
* Players may use our Character Copy feature for copying existing characters to beta realms, or may choose from high-level pre-made template characters.

Zones

* Mount Hyjal and Vashj'ir, two new level 78-82 zones, are available for testing. Deepholm, a new level 82-83 zone is available for testing. Players may find their way to these zones by speaking with temporary teleportation NPCs located in any major city.
* The level ranges of Gilneas and the Lost Isles are in the process of being adjusted slightly. Creature, quest, and quest reward levels are all being altered so that players finish questing in these zones roughly by level 12. Further fine tuning will continue in future content updates.
* Several zones have had quest maps integrated.
* Eastern Kingdoms

o Arathi Highlands, Blasted Lands, The Cape of Stranglethorn, Dun Morogh, Duskwood, Elwynn Forest, Hinterlands, Loch Modan, Northern Stranglethorn, Northshire, Redridge Mountains, Tirisfal Glades, Western Plaguelands and Westfall are ready for testing.

* Kalimdor

o Most zones in Kalimdor are available for testing, though work continues on polishing the quest experience and flow, as well as zone aesthetics.

Dungeons & Raids

* Teleportation NPCs in Stormwind, Orgrimmar, and Dalaran can transport players to any available new dungeons, including players who are ghosts.
* Blackrock Caverns, a new level 79-81 five-player dungeon, is available for testing.
* Throne of the Tides, a new level 79-81 five-player dungeon, is partially available for testing.

Classes: General

* Ammo has been removed from the game.
* The character levels at which classes gain new spells and abilities have changed.
* The glyph system is in the process of being altered. Existing glyphs may not be fully supported or functional.
* Many item and class stats have been changed or removed.
* Rage has been normalized.
* Spells and abilities no longer have multiple ranks and now scale with character level.
* A first pass on new talent trees has been implemented.

o Each talent tree has been reduced to 31 individual talents.
o Players will now get a total of 41 talent points to spend.
o 31 points must be spent in the primary specialization tree before any points can be placed in additional trees.
o Players will be asked to choose a specialization at level 10. Doing so will result in the unlocking of a spell or ability unique to that specialization, as well as one or more passive bonuses.
o While this is a first pass on all of the talent trees, death knight, druid, paladin, warlock, Arcane mage, and Assassination rogue trees are not as far along as other specializations.
o More information regarding our plans for talent trees can be found on our Cataclysm forum.

Death Knights

* A dedicated tanking tree has been implemented.
* The way in which runes recharge has changed.

Druids

* A new Eclipse mechanic has been added for druids. The feature is functional, but the interface art is still a work in-progress.

Hunters

* Five pets can now be stored with the hunter at all times. Any one of these five pets can be summoned via the Call Pet ability.
* Focus has replaced mana as a new resource.
* Hunters now start with a pet at level 1.
* The Stable will now store 20 pets. If a pet is moved into the Stable, its talents are wiped.

Paladins

* We are in the process of overhauling many paladin talents, spells and abilities. Expect updates in upcoming patches.

Warlocks

* Soul Shards have been removed from the game as items. Instead, they now exist as a resource system necessary for using, or altering the mechanics of certain spells.

User Interface

* The ability to use third-party addons has been temporarily disabled for the test environment.
* The Arena Teams pane has been improved.
* Auto-quests have been added to the game. Players will automatically be given an auto-quest by entering specific areas in the game world. This alert will appear distinctly in the Objectives pane via the Advanced Quest Tracking feature. These quests will still be given to players with full Quest Logs, but will count toward the 25 total allotted quests if the log is not full.
* The Character pane has been redesigned. Character stats can now be shown or hidden via the Show All Details/Hide All Details button on the bottom left. When shown, all character stats will be visible in a window to the right of the pane. Stat sections can be reorganized by clicking and dragging them up or down the pane.
* The Professions panes now have more filtering and search functionality, as well as buttons to easily link recipes in the chat frame.
* Many of the yellow System Messages that would display in the chat frame when leveling up have been removed.
* New text animations now alert players as they level up, also providing information on when new talents, spells and abilities are available.
* Professions and Class Trainers windows have been altered to more clearly display available and upcoming purchases.
* The Spellbook interface has been improved for greater ease-of-use and visual appeal.

Graphics

* Experimental support for DX11 (can be enabled by passing ‘-d3d11’ on the command line or adding SET gxApi "d3d11" to the Config.WTF file).
* OpenGL Hardware Cursor support (can be enabled on the Video Resolution Panel).
* Improved water and lava rendering system (enabled by the Liquid Detail slider on the Video Effects Panel)

o 0 = Classic Water
o 1 = New Water (fake reflections)
o 2 = New Water (ocean has real reflection for terrain)
o These values are likely to change during Beta.

* Dynamic Sunshafts effect (enabled by the Sunshafts option on the Video Effects Panel).

Known Issues

* Selecting high Liquid Detail when using Geforce 6 & 7 series video cards will currently prevent lava and water from rendering properly. You can temporarily restore liquid to the world by reducing the Liquid Detail setting via the Video Effects Panel, or by typing “waterDetail 0” in your Config.WTF file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom