• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
mclem said:
I'd guess that you're talking about Forgemaster Garfrost. He gives a damage over time effect to everyone in LoS which grows and grows until it becomes far too strong to heal through.

He also throws out rocks. You're meant to hide behind a rock until the damage effect times out, and then return to attacking. If you do that, the effect will never get high enough to be fatal.
To my credit, I did dodge all the rocks! Just didn't get behind them...

VAIL

Asking is a win/lose situation, some people are helpful others are just plain assholish about it.

Always look out for debuffs...the common rule of WoW is if the boss is tossing it out, it's 99.9% of the time bad for you. The only thing I can think of that you sit in that seems like you should run out of are the sparks in EoE.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mclem said:
I'd guess that you're talking about Forgemaster Garfrost. He gives a damage over time effect to everyone in LoS which grows and grows until it becomes far too strong to heal through.

He also throws out rocks. You're meant to hide behind a rock until the damage effect times out, and then return to attacking. If you do that, the effect will never get high enough to be fatal.
Another fun tip: if you're a mage or a DK you can use absorption effects to just ignore the rocks and fire more attacks.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
Another fun tip: if you're a mage or a DK you can use absorption effects to just ignore the rocks and fire more attacks.

Or if you have a druid buff or paladin with frost resist aura(but so many of them seem to forget that aura exist), 1 stack might get resisted which will completely get rid of all the stacks you had before.

Also Lamonster, before you come here saying you didn't know the fight :

In Halls of Reflection, about the Lich King.., don't attack him fool, run for your life.

notworksafe

Good call. At $0 it's totally worth every penny.

I'm waiting for Bnet to come up so I can see if I got in the Beta.
I'm sure I didn't

Whoever hacked me or stole my account or bought my account from a hacker attached an authenticator to it and paid for a one month sub before they were banned.......so I get 2 weeks to play for free after a year of not playing and a cool WoW pet because of the authenticator lol

firex

Acosta said:
Man, that bring back memories... I leveled as Demonology Warlock thinking that Enslave Demons was the coolest spell of the game (come on, facing demons and bind them to my will, how awesome is that?). I put the five points on it, even if I the only place in Azeroth I had found demons were in Desolace, thinking that it would be more used on high level stuff.

So when I went to Mt Hyjal as a all powerful 60 Demonologist Warlock I use the spell on the elite felguards there:

"Immune"

"Walk from the graveyard"

Awesome spell Blizzard, thanks :p
It reminds me of having to use enslave after summoning an infernal or doomguard, which is why those spells were useless.

Narag

Angry Grimace said:

I've had it fall off my hunter before due to his aura "missing." Also, for some reason I tihnk deterrence can be popped and it'll miss too allowing you to reset the stacks if you're already close to a reset. However, I haven't ran PoS in like two months so I may be misremembering.

notworksafe

Since all of Bnet is down I wonder if this is SC2 related? Or maybe they are having trouble because they sending out so many Cataclysm invites that it's breaking their servers.

Yeah, right.

J-Rzez

DarkAngelYuna said:
lol down time extended another hour

Yep, I have work soon too. What a fail company. After all these years they still can't get this right. Also, even though maint started 4hrs earlier today, it's now running an hour beyond the old maint times. This has been getting progressively worse now over time, and I'd love to see an explanation on this.

I tried to check the forums for an update, but of course, all the forums have been down as well. Most likely just to stop the flood of "wtf blizzard" posts. This maybe my first time in a long time posting over there once they come up.

DarkAngelYuna said:
I've noticed it seems if you cancel your wow account you're more likely to get a Cata beta invite....

Not sure if serious...

I have the iPhone mobile authenticator also. It's free and it works. Perfect.

So my hunter is now 77 and I'm starting to do some randoms and my biggest fear is that I'm going to get constantly kicked from groups when I tell them that it's my first time in that particular instance. I guess it's just luck of the draw on what kind of PuG you get.

So the first instance I did was called Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom. Well I didn't ask my group if there was anything specific that I should know about the end boss and we just went balls out on the guy. So the first wave of "Insanity" comes around and I was clueless, haha. I was attacking the evil versions of my group and then thought, "Wait! If I kill these guys maybe my actual group mates will die!" So I stopped attacking. Then I noticed they weren't yelling at me to stop attacking them in the first place so I started attacking again. Yeah, I finally caught wind of what happened and it didn't screw me up nearly as much the next time. I'm the definition of a Huntard. :D My pet control was awesome though.

Loxley

J-Rzez said:
Yep, I have work soon too. What a fail company. After all these years they still can't get this right. Also, even though maint started 4hrs earlier today, it's now running an hour beyond the old maint times. This has been getting progressively worse now over time, and I'd love to see an explanation on this.

Maintenance on the biggest subscription based MMO in the world is hard and they'd prefer to take their time? I say this exact same line anytime I see someone complain about the way Blizzard goes about things like maintenance, but if you honestly think you can waltz right into their headquarters and give them a quick fix solution to make server maintenance painfully easy and fast that they haven't already thought of themselves, then I'm sure they're avidly awaiting for your application in the mail.

Seriously, it's been over five years and people are still surprised when maintenance gets extended?

So the first instance I did was called Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom. Well I didn't ask my group if there was anything specific that I should know about the end boss and we just went balls out on the guy. So the first wave of "Insanity" comes around and I was clueless, haha. I was attacking the evil versions of my group and then thought, "Wait! If I kill these guys maybe my actual group mates will die!" So I stopped attacking. Then I noticed they weren't yelling at me to stop attacking them in the first place so I started attacking again. Yeah, I finally caught wind of what happened and it didn't screw me up nearly as much the next time. I'm the definition of a Huntard. My pet control was awesome though.

Ha, I did that fight for the first time with my Pally yesterday (Heroic, no less) and was confused for a second as well, I did the same thing you did in that I stopped attacking for a second, then noticed no one in the group yelling at me to stop attacking, so I just continued. When that bit was over I thought it was crafty way on Blizzard's part to implement phasing into a boss fight.

Bisnic

You guys shouldn't be scared to tell people that its your 1st time, usually they are nice enough(well, at least in MY groups) to quickly say the important points like "kill the add that makes the boss invincible" or "stay away from that".

notworksafe

No, I just manage to not be a whiny, impatient child. Think about it. Blizzard manages to keep a 95% uptime but people like you will always find a way to soak your already tear stained pillows.

Perhaps you should write Blizzard an angry email and ask for your $8 for the downtime you've had to suffer over the course of a year, poor baby.

Bisnic

He's right though. Just look at this as an opportunity to play another video game you've been ignoring because of WoW. This is probably what i will do today since my 2 main realms are down for 24 hours and making another alt for that i will abandon the next day isnt interesting. Maybe play some more Left 4 Dead 2 or a 2nd playthrough of Sin & Punishment 2.

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
He's right though. Just look at this as an opportunity to play another video game you've been ignoring because of WoW. This is probably what i will do today since my 2 main realms are down for 24 hours and making another alt for that i will abandon the next day isnt interesting. Maybe play some more Left 4 Dead 2 or a 2nd playthrough of Sin & Punishment 2.
Persona 3 Portable for me! :D

Or hell, play Warhammer Online. They have an unlimited free trial that is pretty damn good.

Bisnic said:
Also Lamonster, before you come here saying you didn't know the fight :

In Halls of Reflection, about the Lich King.., don't attack him fool, run for your life.
:lol Good to know! Thanks!

However, at 4.3gs, my gear isn't good enough to queue for Halls of Reflection Heroic yet. And why would I waste my time running the normal version

J-Rzez

Loxley said:
Maintenance on the biggest subscription based MMO in the world is hard and they'd prefer to take their time? I say this exact same line anytime I see someone complain about the way Blizzard goes about things like maintenance, but if you honestly think you can waltz right into their headquarters and give them a quick fix solution to make server maintenance painfully easy and fast that they haven't already thought of themselves, then I'm sure they're avidly awaiting for your application in the mail.

Seriously, it's been over five years and people are still surprised when maintenance gets extended?

Perhaps put up a "reasonable" window then when servers should go up then? It's sad that they started maint 4hrs early, and then extend it beyond the normal window by 2-3hrs. They should just tell people to expect downtimes longer than. Or, perhaps, they should take some of their piles of money made from this game and come up with a better plan for maint, maybe which includes hiring more/better personel, and perhaps a better system all around so the realms are not down. This includes a more reliable system to ensure auth servers and such don't go down a couple times per day.

I'm not surprised about it, I'm just getting fed up with it. I can give other MMOs some slack because I know they don't have the financial resources that Blizzard has, yet, some of them are not down as long.

As for the other discussion, yes, run the "normal" versions of the new dungeons to help gear up faster. Halls of Reflection is the only one that maybe a pain for undergeared people, or those who just don't have the skill to be in there in the first place.

CassSept

Ahn'kahet is probably the most fun instance if you don't have it spoiled. After that it's meh, I really hate whenever it pops out as a random heroic.
I remember when WotLK first came out and people in my guild started leveling. I was about a one-two days behind some of the people so they got to Ahn'Kahet first. Everybody on the guild chat went "Holy Shit Ahn'kahet" whenever they reached the final boss. Thankfully nobody was spoiling it and I've kept it as a surprise for myself.

I want to get into beta, but on the other hand, some of the moments like these make it great leveling without any knowledge of what you're going into. Before WotLK I knew only about the endgame content, so I was pleasantly surprised how fun they made the leveling part. Instead of mundane quests that send you through the whole world you had great chains, that were still within boundaries of the zone (apart from few, e.g. Wrathgate).
If Cataclysm has even better quests (and it seems they are vastly improved every expansion) it will be great leveling for the first time:D

Edit: Forgot to refresh window in between attempts.
Well, it's still not that bad - when 3.3.5 hit in Europe servers were down for over 9 hours longer than it was originally announced. It was really annoying because everybody wanted to try Halion asap, yet as the maintenance extended it finally hit the normal raiding hours:lol

notworksafe

Something tells me this is all about adding more Auth servers. I think they have to do that, because SC2 is coming out and the current servers would be decimated by the extra traffic. This, of course, assumes that they will all use the same servers since everything is Bnet now.

yacobod

Banned
J-Rzez said:

I tried to check the forums for an update, but of course, all the forums have been down as well. Most likely just to stop the flood of "wtf blizzard" posts. This maybe my first time in a long time posting over there once they come up.

you sir are the whiniest poster in the 5 year history of this thread

CassSept said:
Ahn'kahet is probably the most fun instance if you don't have it spoiled. After that it's meh, I really hate whenever it pops out as a random heroic.
I remember when WotLK first came out and people in my guild started leveling. I was about a one-two days behind some of the people so they got to Ahn'Kahet first. Everybody on the guild chat went "Holy Shit Ahn'kahet" whenever they reached the final boss. Thankfully nobody was spoiling it and I've kept it as a surprise for myself.
What is the surprise you're talking about?

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
What is the surprise you're talking about?
You haven't done OK yet? Do it as soon as the servers come online!

If you really want to know
The last boss makes you go crazy and see all of your party members attacking you. You have to kill them all to keep fighting him.

notworksafe said:
You haven't done OK yet? Do it as soon as the servers come online!

If you really want to know
The last boss makes you go crazy and see all of your party members attacking you. You have to kill them all to keep fighting him.
Okay that's what I thought he was talking about. How do they do that? Does everyone see something different?

notworksafe

Yeah everyone sees the four other group members attacking them. I assume they do it with phasing, but I'm not sure.

When Wrath first came out, my guild would cheat the system by taking off weapons right before he casts Insanity, and then just destroy the clones. We'd also reset Skadi in UP to get easy achievements. :D

The Lamonster said:
:lol Good to know! Thanks!

However, at 4.3gs, my gear isn't good enough to queue for Halls of Reflection Heroic yet. And why would I waste my time running the normal version
If you're only 4.3 gs I would guess that there are at least 4 different upgrades for you in the normal version.
And if you're farming gear and don't necessarily need triumph marks to progress your set then you're much better off queueing specifically the ICC and TOC 5 mans rather than random.

Perspicacity said:
If you're only 4.3 gs I would guess that there are at least 4 different upgrades for you in the normal version.
And if you're farming gear and don't necessarily need triumph marks to progress your set then you're much better off queueing specifically the ICC and TOC 5 mans rather than random.
Good to know, thanks!!

Evlar

Banned
Skel said:
Deadly Boss Mods addon.
DBM usually won't tell you what to do, it just notifies you that something has happened/will happen, and it usually does so with simply the name of the effect the enemy is using. Occasionally it will step up and tell you what to do (like screaming at you to dispel certain effects in ToC). In general it's entirely without context.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Narag said:
I've had it fall off my hunter before due to his aura "missing." Also, for some reason I tihnk deterrence can be popped and it'll miss too allowing you to reset the stacks if you're already close to a reset. However, I haven't ran PoS in like two months so I may be misremembering.

I rather assume Cloak of Shadows would work also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom