• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Worse than horse armour'—Age of Mythology: Retold is charging $6 for 22-year-old jpegs, giving the DLC 'very negative' Steam reviews before the game'

Draugoth

Gold Member
age-of-mythology-retold-dlc-price-1.jpg

Players have observed, the game has exactly one DLC to its name (bar a soundtrack) the Legacy Deity Portrait Pack. It's currently on sale for $6 (£5) and, as the name suggests, lets players use the portraits from the 2002 original release.

It's also bundled in with the premium edition—along with advanced access, which is why both the base game and the DLC are available for reviews right now. What we have here is a unique situation where, perhaps for the first time, a DLC has received a "Very Negative" Steam reviews before the game it's attached to has even arrived.

It's not exactly undeserved, either. I'm not strictly against cosmetic DLCs (though I do think they still subtract something from a game), but your buck's just not banging, here. $6 for some old jpegs that were made in 2002 is objectively nonsense for something a modder could achieve in an afternoon. As a side-bonus for the premium version? Sure, harmless. Worth it on its own? Not on your immortal life.

The reviews themselves sum things up pretty well: "WORSE THAN HORSE ARMOUR DLC" writes one incensed player, presumably in the throes of vivid flashbacks to Bethesda's progenial graft. Another player, who bought the advanced access version of the game, adds: "I got it for free, but so should everyone else. They are 20 year old images, and the players that would be interested in the old images are the same players that have supported the series for the past 20 years."

Source

T4keD0wN

Similar to most deluxe/special/preorder bonus packs or whatever theyre called in any given game, they nearly always end up being a complete waste of money. Sucks for those who buy that, but at least majority wont end up missing out on anything worthwhile.

This pack is lazy even by those standards.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So content from the original game not included in the remake, and offered for extra cash. Hillarious.
And it's not like it's some awesome content that took effort to include. Just some low-res images lmao.

Mownoc

ah, this makes more sense than the op post. thanks!
The vast majority aren't really going to care about this content and you can just ignore this DLC completely. But that MS would try and charge people money for assets from the original game this is a remake of is ridiculous.

Halo MCC didn't charge money for it's classic visuals and that was many times more substantial than this. £5 for this is a joke.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
I want to play this but I'll just wait a year and buy some ultimate edition with all the content for like 50% off.
Waiting 22 or 23 years to replay this doesn't really make a difference.

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's hilarious, but at the same time not a big deal. I'm all for keeping game prices low by including worthless extras for the whales. It's a 30 euro release, doesn't seem like it's worth review bombing it for.

Last edited:

nkarafo

@ anyone posting "it's not a big deal".

Yes, that's the point. Being not a big deal, by design. Just 6 bucks for something that doesn't matter so much. That's how they sneak all that petty bullshit in gaming, expecting little to no resistance. But even petty shit like this have a line it seems.

It's not a big deal for us but it's a big deal for them. Fuck them.

ManaByte

@ anyone posting "it's not a big deal".

Yes, that's the point. Being not a big deal, by design. Just 6 bucks for something that doesn't matter so much. That's how they sneak all that petty bullshit in gaming, expecting little to no resistance. But even petty shit like this have a line it seems.

It's not a big deal for us but it's a big deal for them. Fuck them.

Meanwhile people here spent $200 trying to find their waifu in Zenless Zone Zero.

cireza

Gold Member
People giving a poor review for shitty, useless DLC they don't even have to buy is the epitome of dumbness.

By doing this, they simply are wasting whatever little power they have with these reviews on stuff that doesn't matter.

Last edited:

ManaByte

People giving a poor review for shitty, useless DLC they don't even have to buy is the epitome of dumbness.

By doing this, they simply are wasting whatever little power they have with these reviews on stuff that doesn't matter.

But that's the only video game they like playing.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Sounds like really dumb DLC, and absurd price.

Age 2 had a lot of DLC so I assumed more is coming that's more substantial.

Topher

Gold Member

What is being wasted here again? It isn't like they are limited to a certain number of reviews. If they use their review to highlight stupid shit like this then they don't lose any "power".

LordOfChaos

I mean it doesn't impact the core game in any way right? It's just letting people pay for portraits if they want?

While I dislike the micro transaction creep on everything, if the core game is good the core game is good, eh, unbothered, moisturized

cireza

Gold Member
What is being wasted here again? It isn't like they are limited to a certain number of reviews. If they use their review to highlight stupid shit like this then they don't lose any "power".
Do you know the story "Peter and the wolf" ?

If people keep review bombing constantly for no good reason, things will happen. They won't be listened, negative reviews will not be possible anymore etc...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Do you know the story "Peter and the wolf" ?

Yes. This isn't someone faking being in danger my man.

Edit: wait.....that was "the boy who cried wolf". lol

If people keep review bombing constantly for no good reason, things will happen. They won't be listened, negative reviews will not be possible anymore etc...

I think you are simply incorrect that this is "no good reason" for leaving a bad review.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Yes. This isn't someone faking being in danger my man.

Edit: wait.....that was "the boy who cried wolf". lol
I don't know the English name. I only know the French one, made a literal translation. I am quite sure you get the point though, despite your answer.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know the English name. I only know the French one, made a literal translation. I am quite sure you get the point though, despite your answer.

I wasn't mocking you bro. I was actually thinking that you might be using a different analogy than what I thought.

cireza

Gold Member
I think you are simply incorrect that this is "no good reason" for leaving a bad review.
Fair enough.

I don't really get though. I would never complain for optional DLCs that don't take away anything meaningful from me. For example, Atlus' DLC practice is utter shit and I have been strongly criticizing them in my reviews of their games. Persona 5 Tactica had a ton of interesting content locked behind DLCs day-one for example, and the game itself was a let-down and sucked more and more the further you progressed in it. Could have definitely use the DLC content for more variety. Unacceptable.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Fair enough.

I don't really get though. I would never complain for optional DLCs that don't take away anything meaningful from me. For example, Atlus' DLC practice is utter shit and I have been strongly criticizing them in my reviews of their games. Persona 5 Tactica had a ton of interesting content locked behind DLCs day-one for example, and the game itself was a let-down and sucked more and more the further you progressed in it. Could have definitely use the DLC content for more variety. Unacceptable.

Generally, I don't have a problem with DLC. The problem I have here is taking out something that was in the original game and selling it as DLC. Just not cool and creates needless controversy.

Last edited:

jakinov

Not a big deal. If this couldn't be an incentive for either to be sold separately or part of special editions they wouldn't have bothered to make this an option. Reality is this would likely cost them significantly much more than $6 to implement and only a small number of people would actually care. If this option is mainly meant for an incentive of premium editions, it makes sense to paywall it as it makes sure the incentive stay an incentive while giving people that care still the option. I personally wouldn't buy it and think the pricing is a bit higher than it should be but I think charging for it not a big deal.

A.Romero

Shame. I never tried the original game but it was reviewing well.

Apparently a bad decision but I'm not sure it deserves that reaction. It's just DLC.

The content itself isn't that big of a deal, the new game includes remasters of all the images that are in this DLC. The one on the left is the original (and presumably what you get in this DLC) and the one on the right the remakes version that comes included with the remake.
K1CNQRP.png

The vast majority aren't really going to care about this content and you can just ignore this DLC completely. But that MS would try and charge people money for assets from the original game this is a remake of is ridiculous.

Halo MCC didn't charge money for it's classic visuals and that was many times more substantial than this. £5 for this is a joke.
Easy to mistake but left is the original and right is dlc. (Upresed version)
Without the dlc he looks like this:
all-new-greek-god-portraits-huge-shout-out-to-floosworld-v0-9t0ojcjh78ld1.png

I dont think anyone will buy this but see it as a bonus in the premium edition which people have bought for the new god, early access and the upcoming expansion.

What’s the point of this, anyway? You can still play the original? This isn’t some ancient game like Master of Orion or something.

I still have my boxed copy.

Top Bottom