• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wow Finding Dory was awful, really disappointed in Pixar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pixar threads on this board never fail to scramble my brain.

Lucky for you all, the world is a can of frozen concentrate what the fuck, schlorped gracelessly into a blender set to "incomprehensible," so I'm coping with the relative insanity of your Pixar opinions a whole lot better than I normally do.

Finding Dory is not an awful movie. It's not great, but it's a considerable distance away from "bad."

Not even nominated!

EDIT: Thank Moana and Zootopia for coming out I guess. Even the academy decided that three Disney noms would be pushing it.

To be fair, animation this year was actually pretty great in terms of critical and commercial successes. The one animated film that I'm disappointed didn't get nominated was Your Name, which did actually get a qualifying run, but that just proves how stacked the year was overall IMO.

Haven't seen this film yet because Dory in Finding Nemo is my least favourite Pixar character so I'd rather not watch a film based around her. Doesn't seem like I missed much though.

AniHawk

Although the climax and ending of Monsters U is better than any portion of Monsters Inc, I think Monsters Inc is an overall better film. Finding Nemo is a film classic however, Dory is more of an addition to it than a film that can be better than it.

monsters u does a bit more for me since i could connect with its characters better. i think knowing the conclusion (they wind up working at monsters inc!) diffuses a lot of the tension, knowing things will wind up okay for the main characters. what works for me was the motivation behind them though, and the twist on expectations. sully is an uninspired slacker, mike is an overachieving and untalented bookworm. in addition to creating a really satisfying conclusion at the end of the film, i think it adds more to monsters inc's ending as well, giving mike his time to shine when he was originally comic relief.

i like dory for similar reasons. a lot of her quirks which were treated as comic relief were given some weight, and there's something sad about the meta-knowledge that a fish in an aquarium probably didn't live there for however long dory's been alive. the ultimate fruitlessness of her journey is fine though. it's not a movie about finding dory as much as it is about dory finding herself. there's satisfaction in her overcoming her fear of being alone when she knows that she'll just try to find her parents if she forgets again. and i think that's what ultimately makes the tacked-on adventure-comedy ending have any sense of weight. i think it's important too, because none of that is present in moana, for instance, which on its surface is about a young girl finding her place in the world, with the emotional and character development given to the male protagonist instead.

Jigorath

Banned
It was serviceable, y'know like Secret Life of Pets or other decent Dreamworks stuff. Just not very memorable at the end of the day.

Watch Finding Dory win the Oscar, because that's the animated movie that made the most money in 2016 (domestic: $486,295,561) and has name recognition among the 60+ year old Academy voters due to their grandchildren seeing it and liking it.

Crying%2Btho.gif

Sure would be impressive if Finding Dory managed to win an Oscar it wasn't even nominated for. But they do call it the Pixar award.

Manzanas

Neo Member
I enjoyed it. I knew going in that there was no way it could be as good as the original, but it was still a fun movie.
I feel people criticize the newer Pixar movies too harshly. I agree they aren't anywhere near as good as their first 10 or so movies, but does that make them bad?
I honestly thought they have been pretty good still. Even their worst movies, which I consider to be Cars 2 and Brave, I would still give a passable 6/10.

monsters u does a bit more for me since i could connect with its characters better. i think knowing the conclusion (they wind up working at monsters inc!) diffuses a lot of the tension, knowing things will wind up okay for the main characters. what works for me was the motivation behind them though, and the twist on expectations. sully is an uninspired slacker, mike is an overachieving and untalented bookworm. in addition to creating a really satisfying conclusion at the end of the film, i think it adds more to monsters inc's ending as well, giving mike his time to shine when he was originally comic relief.

i like dory for similar reasons. a lot of her quirks which were treated as comic relief were given some weight, and there's something sad about the meta-knowledge that a fish in an aquarium probably didn't live there for however long dory's been alive. the ultimate fruitlessness of her journey is fine though. it's not a movie about finding dory as much as it is about dory finding herself. there's satisfaction in her overcoming her fear of being alone when she knows that she'll just try to find her parents if she forgets again. and i think that's what ultimately makes the tacked-on adventure-comedy ending have any sense of weight. i think it's important too, because none of that is present in moana, for instance, which on its surface is about a young girl finding her place in the world, with the emotional and character development given to the male protagonist instead.

I actually largely agree on both points, especially MU. One of the things I really appreciated about MU, was how it was largely from Mike's perspective this time around. Film prequels are usually meaningless, but I really did like learning about Mike and Sully's backstories and how they came to meet each other. I thought both of those plot points were handled well.

JaseMath

I think the last truly great Pixar film was Toy Story 3. Disney Animation has been besting Pixar at their own game since Tangled.

Zen Aku

You guys are crazy if you think Finding Dory is worst or as bad at Cars 2. There are worst animated movies out there. It's not amazing but Finding Dory is good sequel.

No one needs to see Norm of the North (although it would certainly help center people who think that Finding Dory or Zootopia are bad movies).

seriously, sitting through the shit you'll put on Netflix to keep a young child entertained will change you.

Finding Dory is okay.

EulaCapra

I fell asleep during The Good Dinosaur and legit forgot whatever the hell happened in Cars 2. Those were pretty bad. Finding Dory was just.... A beautiful but okay movie. Dory is definitely not a character to explore their background with because all that made her funny in the first movie makes her sad in this one.

Worse, Ellen DeGeneres is no longer funny or expressive with her voice. She wanted a sequel soooo bad but it sounds like she got no constructive criticism direction at all. Definitely sounds like a "Dreamworks-pays-you-$20 million-going-through-the-motions" type of thing.

It's okay to good. I enjoyed it about as much as the original. Dory was a lot more appealing to me as the main character getting the focus. In the original, she was just an annoyance with some pitiful lines of dialogue. In Finding Dory, she felt more realized tbh. And I love how the last part of the movie just goes for cartoon insanity. I had a lot of fun.

y'all need to watch some actual bad CGI movies

i've seen things man
Leo the Lion

Dory was bad and inside out was worse. I had huge expectations for inside out but man that was disappointing. Moana was almost great except I disliked the character Moana, which made the movie a bit better than average to me. Zootopia and Kubo were amazing.

Timeaisis

I liked it. I thought it was better than Zootopia and Moana, which were not at all that funny, at least to me.

Dory, while no Nemo, had some really good bits.

janoDX

Finding Dory was a good movie, but it disappointed due to the hype that 'Nemo' carried.

Finding Nemo is an amazing film.

I hope I'm not crazy in thinking that this film felt like direct to video movie, plot wise. Now before everyone tears me apart. I thought the movie was great, but I do think it was unnecessary kinda like Monster Universe (also really liked it). Specially after the excellent Inside Out, it just felt weird, like it didn't even reach the level excellence that was Toy Story 2 in my opinion. And it didn't have those heavy feels from Finding Nemo.

I don't know, I guess I'm not that fond of Pixar sequels unless it's a Toy Story sequel. Though I am hyped as hell for TS4 and Incredibles 2 but I'm also worried they won't reach the level of greatness from their predecessors.

AniHawk

I actually largely agree on both points, especially MU. One of the things I really appreciated about MU, was how it was largely from Mike's perspective this time around. Film prequels are usually meaningless, but I really did like learning about Mike and Sully's backstories and how they came to meet each other. I thought both of those plot points were handled well.

both films try and have some kind of realistic message. in monsters u - you can fuck up and get kicked out of college, and sometimes you just aren't going to do the thing you love, no matter how hard you work or how much you want it. in finding dory, i was afraid it would fall into the 'marlin and nemo were my family all along' but it even avoids that. instead it's about dory finding confidence in herself and overcoming fears. its message is 'i can get through this'.

it's grayer areas that work at a deeper level than pixar's earlier stuff.

legend166

I feel like if Pixar made Zootopia people would be all over it for how it presents its themes with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I honestly can't think of a movie I've seen recently that was so openly preachy with its message. It's like an Aesop Fable stretched over two hours (they really should have got it down to 90 minutes, the middle dragged a lot).

At least with Finding Dory there's a level of sophistication to its themes despite the octopus driving the car, instead of a massive flashing neon light and air horns shouting "prejudice is bad don't do it okay?"

DJChuy

"It's consuming her! It's eating her alive!"

That part always makes me laugh.

When I first saw it, I thought it was just okay and disappointing as well. However after seeing it a couple of more times, I actually enjoy the movie. My gf loves the movie which is why I saw it multiple times. Dory is a much better character in this than Finding Nemo.

UberTag

I feel like if Pixar made Zootopia people would be all over it for how it presents its themes with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I honestly can't think of a movie I've seen recently that was so openly preachy with its message. It's like an Aesop Fable stretched over two hours (they really should have got it down to 90 minutes, the middle dragged a lot).

At least with Finding Dory there's a level of sophistication to its themes despite the octopus driving the car, instead of a massive flashing neon light and air horns shouting "prejudice is bad don't do it okay?"
I get your argument but when it comes to an issue like prejudice and conveying it in a kid's movie, I'm not so sure that's a message you want to be subtle about.

I love doing the whale voice with my daughter

Thaaaaaaank yooouuuuuuu

I also think it's weird that people are so obsessed with Pixar's output

Icolin

Banned
Yeah, pretty mediocre. Loved Inside Out, didn't like Finding Dory or The Good Dinosaur at all, so Coco's got a lot riding on it for me. Setting sounds promising, and it's being done by Unkrich, so I assume they've got their A-team on it.

It isn't, but even if it were, don't hate, just watch it and prepare to laugh. The intro starts off as cliched as every other animated film, full of overplayed animation archetypes, but once it gets going, there are several moments that personally made me cry laughing. Really good, unexpected stuff. There was nothing in Dory that even came remotely close.
The wolves were amazing. Whoever came up with that deserves millions.

UberTag

y'all need to watch some actual bad CGI movies

i've seen things man
I've programmed myself to avoid obvious tripe like The Wild Life... and yes, I have no doubt Finding Dory comes off astounding by comparison.
I also wish I could go back in time and get the time I wasted watching The Secret Life of Pets back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom