• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wow Finding Dory was awful, really disappointed in Pixar

Status
Not open for further replies.
gerald.jpg

Llyranor

I thought it was a fun enjoyable film.
It's a good thing you never watched The Good Dinosaur.
Oh man, this movie. I kept hoping the main character would be killed in a landslide or something, but when it didn't happen 30min in, I just had to stop watching

Similar to monsters u, it's mid tier Pixar. Enjoyable, but ultimately forgettable film. Think they could've explored Dory's relationship with her parents a bit more. The flashbacks they had with them all together were nice, but brief.

I thought it was fine enough but wasn't surprised in the least that it didn't get a best animated picture nomination. Don't think it had the wow factor that Zootopia, Kubo, Moana did.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
OP, if you didn't like the character Dory to begin with, I'm not sure what you expected in a movie where she's the main character. Perhaps this colored your opinion on the movie as a whole?

Haines

Banned
Pixars golden age is long past.
I still watch each movie though.

I assume disney would rather keep the top talent under anything with the Disney name cuz that has been doing some better stuff.

Zootopia and big hero 6 were great. Haven't seen Moana yet

TheGrizz

I really enjoyed this movie. I watched it in the theater with my son. I don't know what you're talking about, OP. The message was good, you never give up, regardless of how tough things can get. My son and I enjoyed talking about the message behind the story.

Herne

Yeah, I found it to be very disappointing. Didn't like Inside Out either, or The Good Dinosaur, but I did like Monsters University so I won't say they're completely on a downward slope. No studio can hit gold every time. It's also true though that Disney has been knocking it out of the park. Lasseter's hand on the wheel, I am sure.

jokkir

Finding Dory was great. I liked it better than Zootopia mainly of how entertaining it was. It reminded me a bit of older Simpsons in terms of jokes/delivery.

I should watch it again.

jackdoe

While it wasn't near the best of the Pixar movies, I can't really dislike any film that has Stringer Bell and McNulty playing two seals.

red13th

I thought it was okay. Pixar's greatest to me is Ratatouille, followed by Up, Wall-E and Inside Out (in no specific order). Finding Dory is bottom tier but still enjoyable.

I liked it quite a bit! But opinions and what not. I thought the setting was brilliant and the voice cast was top notch. Much improved over the last pixar movie i watched...the good dinosuar "shivers"

I found Finding Dory to be alright. It was enjoyable but nothing special. Definitely an unnecessary sequel, IMO. I know a few people that actively disliked it, and they were the same people who were annoyed with Dory's character in the first film. These same people just don't care for Ellen DeGeneres' shtick in general, and find her annoying. I love Ellen but she's not for everyone.

Somewhat OT, I was LTTP to Big Hero 6 (Disney, not Pixar) and watched it last night. I was pretty disappointed in it. Again, it was alright. Wasn't a waste of time or anything, but the writing let that film down more than anything.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I enjoyed it. Ty Burrell was great.

Also ^^^ Big Hero 6 is awesome. I'll fight you.

I thought it was great at subtly describing how caring for mental illness is a lifelong endeavor. Fell flat on many areas, the slapstick and the whole finale was meh. But as I said, it was a truly heartwarming description of mental health.

DemWalls

I think Pixar is pretty overrated in general, their only movie I would call legitimately great is Toy Story 3. Still haven't seen Inside Out, but that doesn't change much.

JeTmAn81

I'm hardly the PC police, but the jokes about "look at the retarded animals" with the bird and the seal did seem weird for a kid's movie made in 2016.

That wasn't my interpretation of Gerald at all. He's just funny looking. The other seals were arbitrarily jerks to him.

Goodstyle

It's fucking shocking that this film got as good reviews as it did. It was OK, only elevated by Dory's friendship with the Octopus, but besides that it was mediocre, and wholly unnecessary when you think about it. It basically taught a lot of the same lessons the first movie did.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I literally can't understand thinking Finding Dory was "awful" or "insanely bad" as someone else in thread put it. Those adjectives should be saved for The Nut Job or even Cars 2.

Finding Dory is a fantastic movie. Funny, heartwarming and it absolutely deserved the reviews it received.'

JABEE

If it weren't for Inside Out, Pixar would be in a 7 year slump.

I didn't really like Inside Out at all. I think Disney is making better animated films than Pixar these days.

Jungle Book, Big Hero 6, and Wreck-It Ralph are all better than Inside Out. I was a bit put-off watching Inside Out.

I didn't really like Inside Out at all. I think Disney is making better animated films than Pixar these days.

Jungle Book, Big Hero 6, and Wreck-It Ralph are all better than Inside Out. I was a bit put-off watching Inside Out.

What? Inside Out was FANTASTIC.

Finding Dory - wasn't amazing or great but I thought just okay. It wasn't awful though.

Permanently A

I thought it was pretty good honestly. Having an autistic brother, I really found the scenes with Dory's parents touching. And Hank the septopus is a really great character. The truck driving was a little unrealistic and the fact that Dory just happened to end up where her parents were waiting for years is just a wee bit contrived.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Considering The Jungle Book (2016) an animated movie along the lines of Finding Dory and Inside Out isn't something I've heard before.

Boem

Considering The Jungle Book (2016) an animated movie along the lines of Finding Dory and Inside Out isn't something I've heard before.

Why not? It's definitely animation, except obviously going for more realistic looking animals and environments rather than the more cartoony Pixar stuff. And apart from Mowgli of course. Animation is animation, even if it is in a different style.

JABEE

What? Inside Out was FANTASTIC.

Finding Dory - wasn't amazing or great but I thought just okay. It wasn't awful though.

I remember watching it and thinking about how the whole thing felt like a in-your-face emotional manipulation. It was removing the smoothness and brilliant thematic moves of something like the opening of Up removing all the subtlety and beauty.

A factory of workers are determining how you feel. It actually probably mirrors the assembly line of creators it takes to make a Pixar film.

I remember the film making me feel weird and I didn't have the same reaction as everyone else. The transparent attempts to hit emotional beats felt as transparently manipulative as the characters in Riley's head.

I feel it's mostly an animated film with a human character inserted into the film a bit like Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins would probably be less animated.

Spinluck

Eh, Jungle Book was ok, don't think I'd put it above Inside Out.

Wreck-It Ralph? Maybe just around it if not lower.

Big Hero 6, same tier.

I think Zootopia and Tangled are the only two from the studio I'd put over Inside Out, then again I really liked the film. I don't think Disney's animation studio did Jungle Book btw.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it a lot. Not as good as the first one, but it's really well done and a worthy sequel, in my opinion. It didn't have a single boring moment, at least that I can recall.

Pixars golden age is long past.
I still watch each movie though.

I assume disney would rather keep the top talent under anything with the Disney name cuz that has been doing some better stuff.

Zootopia and big hero 6 were great. Haven't seen Moana yet
No way, their best movie (or top 2, at least) came out less than 2 years ago.

Up!

How yall making all these pixar lists and not including Up?

Up is amazing
I'll be honest, I consider Up to be among Pixar's worst 3 movies. It started well, but the talking dogs totally ruined it for me.

I wonder why this was an issue in Finding Dory, but Moana got away with the same thing?

Probably because Finding Dory is a narrative that deals heavily in issues of mental health, and deeply personifies the animals. It feels hypocritical for the film to humanize the fuck out of these animals, use them to tell a narrative about mental disibility, then turn around and go: "Laugh at the stupid fucking Seal."

In Moana, all the animals stay animals, and there's no mental health element to the narrative. So, a chicken being fucking stupid doesn't really read as anything other than a chicken being fucking stupid.

Azuran

Banned
Sometimes I wonder what kind of almighty high standards some people have when they consider movies like Finding Dory and Monsters University to be "bad"

You people need to watch more movies so your opinion spectrum consists of more than two simple options.

I found it entertaining and fun. And sad at times. Saw it with 2 other adults. We all liked it. Anyone saying this film is bad should actually watch a bad movie sometime.

Yeah... It wasn't an instant masterpiece like Finding Nemo, no doubt about that. But this thread is suffering from "X is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, no in between" syndrome.

Parch

Finding Dory was average.
There's a pretty high standard for animated movies now. I though Dory was hitting the kid demographic hard and those types of targets are not going to get high ratings anymore. There is so much quality animation now that can be considered all-ages.
The bar is set really high now. That's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom