• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

NickFire

This company man. Actually decent rivalry going on between Mariah and Toni. Yet at the same time Double J is getting meaningful TV time on the flagship show. In 2024. After years of hiring more guys than they need.

And what are they doing with MJF? I know I’m not qualified to spend Tony’s Dad‘s money like Tony, but could the EVP‘s trick him into watching the last year of Gunther’s PLE matches? Or maybe take him to a bar and have a chat. Let him know that when someone rises to the top of a company and is top champ for a year, giving him a trashy second (or 3rd, or 4th) tier belt and having him rename it is YAWN.

Dthomp

This company man. Actually decent rivalry going on between Mariah and Toni. Yet at the same time Double J is getting meaningful TV time on the flagship show. In 2024. After years of hiring more guys than they need.

And what are they doing with MJF? I know I’m not qualified to spend Tony’s Dad‘s money like Tony, but could the EVP‘s trick him into watching the last year of Gunther’s PLE matches? Or maybe take him to a bar and have a chat. Let him know that when someone rises to the top of a company and is top champ for a year, giving him a trashy second (or 3rd, or 4th) tier belt and having him rename it is YAWN.

Gotta wonder just how much money it took for MJF to pass up the chance to join WWE at it's hottest point since the attitude era and likely be put right into a main event program with friend Cody to stay there wrestling for what should be the jobber title against dudes who shouldn't even be on his radar. It's hard not to dunk on how bad AEW has gotten in the last year and a half but man, this is like 10 years ago WWE bad when I try to tune in. At least Mercedes is bringing in the viewers....right? With her giant bodyguard that looks about the same size as her when she dumbly wears heels next to her.

At least MJF and others have time, I feel worse for guys like Kenny who dumbly decided to resign as a group with a bunch of goobers who WWE would even have a hard time repackaging into people who matter cause Kenny likely doesn't have another shot at going there. Same with Okada, but hey at least he isn't being used as a comedy act like AEW fans said WWE would do...right?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
AEW is just mostly garbage these days.

They're doing what Russo did in WCW with Mercedez referencing Brit Baker's real life suspension and all.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Sad news about Kev, I wasn't really a fan of any of his character work but fully understand that he was an important player in his time.

adamsapple

WWE finally managed to get Roman over as a babyface. Took a decade and a lot of organic buildup over time, not any sufferin succotash bullshit.

Dthomp

WWE finally managed to get Roman over as a babyface. Took a decade and a lot of organic buildup over time, not any sufferin succotash bullshit.

I'm curious how SD shakes out going forward, cause you can argue their top 5 stars are all babyfaces (Cody, Roman, KO, Randy, Knight) and I think we all expect Randy to turn heel very soon, but they don't really have any ready to step up heels now that Jacob is hurt, cause Solo just ain't it after the bloodline feud thing that is to come. We aren't close enough to the draft to send one of the top top guys over to Raw so who steps up after Randy? We are already going to do baby/baby at Berlin with KO/Cody.

adamsapple

I'm curious how SD shakes out going forward, cause you can argue their top 5 stars are all babyfaces (Cody, Roman, KO, Randy, Knight) and I think we all expect Randy to turn heel very soon, but they don't really have any ready to step up heels now that Jacob is hurt, cause Solo just ain't it after the bloodline feud thing that is to come. We aren't close enough to the draft to send one of the top top guys over to Raw so who steps up after Randy? We are already going to do baby/baby at Berlin with KO/Cody.

I have a feeling KO will turn heel after losing to Cody at the next PPV.

dave_d

Wow, Mark Henry was on raw tonight with his son. I wonder what he’s been doing these past 4 or 5 years when he left the public eye and the wrestling business.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So what's the crowd looking like for the Wembley show? As big as the first one? I haven't heard anything about it so I'm guessing not?

Dthomp

So what's the crowd looking like for the Wembley show? As big as the first one? I haven't heard anything about it so I'm guessing not?

I would have to assume it'll still sell out just because it's not super common for wrestling from the US to go there until recent recentish. Can't wait for Danielson to win the title he doesn't want so he can vacate it so TK can do his favorite common practice of a tournament

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I would have to assume it'll still sell out just because it's not super common for wrestling from the US to go there until recent recentish. Can't wait for Danielson to win the title he doesn't want so he can vacate it so TK can do his favorite common practice of a tournament
I don't know. I feel like we heard about attendance numbers well before the show last time. It'll no doubt still be a big success. The UK loves its wrestling.

rkofan87

Gold Member
bd can win it and drop it in a match on tv after the ppv

Dthomp

I don't know. I feel like we heard about attendance numbers well before the show last time. It'll no doubt still be a big success. The UK loves its wrestling.

You aren't wrong, they definitely sold faster last time, but I mean I am barely paying attention to their product anymore and outside of anybody vs. Danielson what's to be excited about? And I'll be honest, I just don't really care about Swerve as champ at all, he's a good hand but he's in the same-ish boat that Jey Uso is in, his managers dance is super over and then he's just another dude doing all the spots in the ring. I can't take MJF/Okada or any other main eventer seriously who is just ok being the midcard and lower midcard champs. Anything Young Bucks just makes me fast forward. It actually makes me upset cause I loved early AEW and seeing its current state is almost embarrassing

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Caught up again on WWE. I'm a few weeks behind on AEW but I'll try and get it sorted by Wembley.

WWE was fine, only comment is that whenever Punk talks about "My wife and dog Larry" I can't help but think he married a dog named Larry.

dave_d

You aren't wrong, they definitely sold faster last time, but I mean I am barely paying attention to their product anymore and outside of anybody vs. Danielson what's to be excited about? And I'll be honest, I just don't really care about Swerve as champ at all, he's a good hand but he's in the same-ish boat that Jey Uso is in, his managers dance is super over and then he's just another dude doing all the spots in the ring. I can't take MJF/Okada or any other main eventer seriously who is just ok being the midcard and lower midcard champs. Anything Young Bucks just makes me fast forward. It actually makes me upset cause I loved early AEW and seeing its current state is almost embarrassing
I just wanted to chime in on this. When AEW started I was hoping they'd give me something with the feel of Crockett/WCW from 87-90'ish. They gave me WCW from about 97 and when I gave up on it it felt like WCW from 2000.

I just wanted to chime in on this. When AEW started I was hoping they'd give me something with the feel of Crockett/WCW from 87-90'ish. They gave me WCW from about 97 and when I gave up on it it felt like WCW from 2000.

I was really excited for it at first and liked the first few Dynamites. Eventually, when I saw Matt Hardy teleporting around the arena to the bewilderment of Jericho, I knew it was over for me. Like you said, it appears that they've been in WCW 2000 mode for over 3 years now.

There was a period after the teleporting incident where I at least enjoyed laughing at all the botches, but somewhere around the time Punk left, it just got to be sad. Nobody talks about it, watches it, or goes to the shows anymore. Laughing at AEW started to feel like mocking a homeless person or something.

The worst part for me is that their overwhelming lameness rubbed off on New Japan and has made that unwatchable now too.

adamsapple

Good on W for keeping Jacob Fatu a destructive force even against Roman.

Setting up the blocks for the Wargames match at Survivor Series.

RavageX

Question folks.

Whats up with companies like NWA, TNA and the other smaller ones I cant remember?

Is the issue good talent, good story telling, bad management? Why is it these arent getting buzz?

dave_d

Oh my god! You mean to tell me we don’t have to listen to Pat on Raw for at least a few months while he does football? Raw gets better. (No im not being sarcastic. )

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Wow, Mark Henry was on raw tonight with his son. I wonder what he’s been doing these past 4 or 5 years when he left the public eye and the wrestling business.

He has been on AEW weekly for many years. Working with talent and he had a catchphrase, "Its time for"

WoJ

I don't know how anyone isn't bored to tears by the Bloodline garbage. Everyone involved in this storyline at this point is boring as shit except the Rock and Jacob Fatu. And that includes Roman, who still sucks no matter how much WWE wants to tell me he doesn't. The most propped up smoke and mirrors act in the history of WWE. I haven't watched Smackdown since before Wrestlemania 39 and I guess that will continue since they keep doubling down on these boring jobbers.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I don't know how anyone isn't bored to tears by the Bloodline garbage. Everyone involved in this storyline at this point is boring as shit except the Rock and Jacob Fatu. And that includes Roman, who still sucks no matter how much WWE wants to tell me he doesn't. The most propped up smoke and mirrors act in the history of WWE. I haven't watched Smackdown since before Wrestlemania 39 and I guess that will continue since they keep doubling down on these boring jobbers.

I'm kind of with you on the BL, it went way too long to get to Cody winning, but Temu Bloodline has been awful and it was obvious from the beginning how this was set up, but they should have went away for a short time and not been thrown back into the main event against Cody so fast. Somebody at WWE has to know that Solo sucks, dude should be back in NXT and on some sort of forced workout routine cause he looks like shit compared to EVERY other member of both Bloodlines. Solo isn't on Romans level, Jacob just hasn't done enough to be in that picture either, but I guess if it keeps all the BL people in one WarGames match I can go do some bathroom duty during it. Sucks for folks who have never worked one since Romans team has been in most of the main roster ones already.

Dthomp

Gross, can't imagine the amounts of coke needed to think with that roster that Darby should be a world champion, there's a reason you have midcard belts Tony...

Mondai

Gross, can't imagine the amounts of coke needed to think with that roster that Darby should be a world champion, there's a reason you have midcard belts Tony...
Dude deserves a title run but I’m not surprised if people here don’t like him lol.

Mondai

Ricochets style is too similar to a lot of people in AEW , I think he had a better chance in WWE since his style was more unique there (WWE fumbled it out of course but Rico being a charisma vacuum didn’t do him any favors either). Aside from the Ospreay feud, I don’t know what else he would do. He won’t stand out as much in AEW imo.

Dthomp

Ricochets style is too similar to a lot of people in AEW , I think he had a better chance in WWE since his style was more unique there (WWE fumbled it out of course but Rico being a charisma vacuum didn’t do him any favors either). Aside from the Ospreay feud, I don’t know what else he would do. He won’t stand out as much in AEW imo.

That was my thought with Ricochet, he brings nothing to the table that they don't already have 100 of, and the dude can't cut a promo...so what he feuds with Ospreay and loses cause...duh and then back to catering? At least he was out there on Raw most weeks, will he have the same use in AEW? Or does he get to join up with Top Flight or the Private Party dudes as bros who can't talk but flip on Saturday/Friday nights?

I went in to tonight with no expectations and wanting to like what I saw, but man there is just something missing from their product for me that isn't there. They break a big rule of mine when it comes to kicking out of finishers and that was happening from at least as early as the second match onward. I'll accept it in monster main event feuds, but I don't need that in your womens title match that early on the show. I get the Storm/May feud has been long and maybe been good, but I just can't get into the 50s black and white Toni Storm character enough to kept following it, and Mariah is a beautiful woman but I didn't really see anything in this match that would make me care more for her then any other woman on their roster...also why does everybody need a nickname? Why is she "The Glamour"?

Skipping to the end, I used to be the biggest Danielson fan and said many time that they should have put that belt on him two years ago, at this point I just don't care. He gets the easy feud with a dude that won't likely kill him in Christian and he'll waste his run dropping it to somebody who doesn't deserve it, likely Darby in the not to far future (I don't know when he said he's hanging them up). It seemed watching that they couldn't really even get the big celebration stills you'd want cause Bryan was too busy playing with his kids in the ring, which I get it's fun for them but as a company you should probably make sure you have all the footage you need to use in the future before the kiddos enter the ring....
Also, uhm why was Pac out there? I've been out of the loop and i get the Lucha Bros are either gone or might be gone, but did they just stick in the Moxley whole of the BCC and hope nobody would notice?

SirTerry-T

Pac's there so he can get a much deserved Wembley pop. It's not that hard to understand once you get your nose out of Vince's arse crack....

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I wonder how much people will bitch when Darby wins the world title :p
I just think Darby is going regret his fighting style in the future. He is going be unable to walk soon. He is charismatic has a great voice. But can gurn too much During matches. He is great as the plucky underdog. Who can take beating and still keep fighting back. But I can’t see him having a long term run.

I think him and orange cassidy should make a tag team but really play up the different personalities one is all out and the other is a sloth

Last edited:
Top Bottom