• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lamb |OT| A Binding of Isaac Expansion

Toppot

I reckon new achievements will be beat Shoel/Cathedral with no hit. Or maybe, just maybe, the whole game with no hit!

The left hand is weird, as it might suggest a new character, but I doubt it a bit since there is no new achievements for beating Mom/Mom's Heart/Satan/Isaac with a new character.

I'm also glad the DLC seems to of been adopted so well with the achievements now blending into the old ones on the Global Achievements. But only 0.2% with Platinum God...

BigAT

I found something with the Portable Blood Bag. If you spam space bar, you can use it again while you're still invulnerable from the first damage, getting multiple hits out of it for a single half heart.

Toppot

I found something with the Portable Blood Bag. If you spam space bar, you can use it again while you're still invulnerable from the first damage, getting multiple hits out of it for a single half heart.
Yep you can just spam it. If you have blood penny to you basically get unlimited coins and health (Except womb/utoel and above where it takes a whole heart and you have to be careful you don't over do it)

Haunted

Here's the new cheevs. No descriptions, so I guess we can only speculate.

b0lFH.jpg

It better not be "No Hit Sheol/Cathedral with each character." :p
kouBP.gif

So many new achievements!

Joe Molotov

The left hand is weird, as it might suggest a new character, but I doubt it a bit since there is no new achievements for beating Mom/Mom's Heart/Satan/Isaac with a new character.

Maybe you get it for unlocking all 7 of the other achievements.

Haunted

I reckon new achievements will be beat Shoel/Cathedral with no hit. Or maybe, just maybe, the whole game with no hit!

I'm also glad the DLC seems to of been adopted so well with the achievements now blending into the old ones on the Global Achievements. But only 0.2% with Platinum God...
No hit achievements weren't tied to a specific character so I doubt that's it... It's not a regular "beat
Blue Baby
with X character", as I just did that with Cain and it didn't pop an achievement. Hmm.

The Left Hand looks like it might have something to do with Satan. Maybe there's where the no-hit comes into play. I could imagine a no hit satan boss achievement, or no hit Sheol.

Toppot

No hit achievements weren't tied to a specific character so I doubt that's it... It's not a regular "beat
Blue Baby
with X character", as I just did that with Cain and it didn't pop an achievement. Hmm.

The Left Hand looks like it might have something to do with Satan. Maybe there's where the no-hit comes into play. I could imagine a no hit satan boss achievement, or no hit Sheol.
The achievements have been added to Steam but the game hasn't received the update to allow you to unlock them. So nothing you do atm, even if its the right requirement, will unlock the achievement.

ArjanN

I don't really like the no hit achievements, because the mechanics of the game aren't that well suited for it. There's times when it's more or less impossible to avoid taking damage.

Therion

They better not add a no-hit achievement for the Cathedral. I would have earned it just now, but I'll probably never manage it again (still haven't gotten spelunker boy after all this time). I'm a little worried that the Left Hand might be just that, signifying dodging with the movement keys. Time will tell, I suppose...

BigAT

I don't really like the no hit achievements, because the mechanics of the game aren't that well suited for it. There's times when it's more or less impossible to avoid taking damage.

Same, I have made no real effort to get them, just because it doesn't seem like it would be an even remotely fun thing to attempt. Too many random ways to get hit that are often out of your control.

Haunted

The achievements have been added to Steam but the game hasn't received the update to allow you to unlock them. So nothing you do atm, even if its the right requirement, will unlock the achievement.
oh really? I didn't know that. And here I am trying to get them to unlock. >_>

Thanks.

Toppot

oh really? I didn't know that. And here I am trying to get them to unlock. >_>

Thanks.
No problem =] The game should update in the next couple of days, they are just ironing out bugs. Once Steam downloads a game update for Isaac you should be able to unlock the new achievements.

Judging by the last image on his blog it might be a few days instead xD

tumblr_m5sbzwQBI21rwh6p8o1_1280.jpg

http://edmundm.com/

wiggleb0t

Banned
Latecomer. Never been up with the hype on this game. However would like to support what I've seen on youtube as it looks quirky to say the least.

Do I buy the original or do I buy wrath of lamb? I can't find an answer as to whether or not it's the original game + dlc or it's seperate dlc by itself. Thanks

Sciz

Latecomer. Never been up with the hype on this game. However would like to support what I've seen on youtube as it looks quirky to say the least.

Do I buy the original or do I buy wrath of lamb? I can't find an answer as to whether or not it's the original game + dlc or it's seperate dlc by itself. Thanks

Wrath is an expansion that merges with and requires the original game to play.

Joe Molotov

I would recommend buying just The Binding of Isaac first and playing it and seeing if you like it. Then once you've played the core game for a while, if you like it, upgrade to WotL.

I was thinking about how it would be for newcomers going headfirst into the game with the expansion, and I think it's a tad overwhelming. Though Wrath of the Lamb isn't standalone, you'll need the base game first. Personal suggestion is to get the base game first, play through a lotta that, and when you're ready for your next dose of Isaac, pick up the expansion.

You wait for the Steam sale and get both for like $2-3 combined.

Haunted

Just caught up with the talk on MANvsGame. New achievements are tied to new items, supposedly very challenging/tough to find, there's a new final boss music track (which sounds fucking awesome btw)... oh me oh my.

Also, the game has sold over 600 thousand copies so far.

Toppot

You can play a basic demo here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/581168

The game is meant to be quite tough for beginners, so don't be put off by the difficulty.

If you like the game and have a few dollars to spare just buy the game, then if you like that add the expansion, it just enhances the game all around. If not it will most likely be on sale over summer and you can get it for a couple of dollars. TBH the game is eaisely worth twice as much as it costs. I've had over 150 hours on it and I'm still going, its replayablility is ridiculous.

BigAT

Has anyone noticed that if you hold tab on the character select screen it cycles an item in the bottom left corner of the screen? Does that have any effect on anything?

Toppot

Has anyone noticed that if you hold tab on the character select screen it cycles an item in the bottom left corner of the screen? Does that have any effect on anything?
All tab is doing is cycling through all the elements on the scene that is the main menu. If you look at your collection and hold/press tab a lot it will cycle through the items with a yellow box round their icons and change the item top right to the corresponding one. Good spot though =]

flowsnake

I never ever seem to get anything from sacrifice rooms. With the amount of health you have to give up (I assume, since I never seem to give up enough), they seem even more of a bad gamble than challenge rooms.

Haunted

I never ever seem to get anything from sacrifice rooms. With the amount of health you have to give up (I assume, since I never seem to give up enough), they seem even more of a bad gamble than challenge rooms.
The blood rooms with the spikes? Yeah, completely not worth it from my experience. Only in very rare cases when there's heart pickups to spare lying around on the same floor or there's a full health pill or something.

You can get a chest from your first heart sacrifice, though. But with everything in Isaac, it's random.

Toppot

Well all you will get is a random chest after a random amount of hearts, you can use trinkets/items like Guppy's Tail to increase change of getting gold chests for example.

But yes they are generally not worth the effort, given you can do Challenge Rooms without getting hit where as Sacrificial Rooms are guaranteed to hurt unless you have Book of Shadows or another item/trinket giving you a shield or invincibility

http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Rooms#Sacrificial_Room

Haunted

Isaac community waiting for the patch to drop so we can start achievement hunting:

MCM%2Bstart.jpg

I still need that fucking spider butt to get Platinum God. I've played a good deal, I hope it's just me being unlucky with the random generator and it's not borked or something.

Toppot

Isaac community waiting for the patch to drop so we can start achievement hunting:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LyzMaTQLCVQ/Tq6mEhYFjXI/AAAAAAAAAXE/qiIlU1xnBEg/s1600/MCM%2Bstart.jpg[IMG]

I still need that fucking spider butt to get Platinum God. I've played a good deal, I hope it's just me being unlucky with the random generator and it's not borked or something.[/QUOTE]
Looking at global status I'd guess 80,000 have the expansion, about 2,500 have all achievements. There's a lot of people that still need to get ones already in the game =P

But yeah I'm one of the people in the crowd waiting.

Spiderbutt is rare, I get say Daddy's Love a lot more. Its all random, just do lots of Isaac + D6 runs.

Haunted

Looking at global status I'd guess 80,000 have the expansion, about 2,500 have all achievements. There's a lot of people that still need to get ones already in the game =P

But yeah I'm one of the people in the crowd waiting.

Spiderbutt is rare, I get say Daddy's Love a lot more. Its all random, just do lots of Isaac + D6 runs.
I think McMillen has lost the overview/big picture over his drop rates. You know they're a bit fucked when you're basically drowning in epic fetuses on every run since the latest patch.

Toppot

I think McMillen has lost the overview/big picture over his drop rates. You know they're a bit fucked when you're basically drowning in epic fetuses on every run since the latest patch.
The game has got far too big and complicated for him and Florin to manage in flash. I really hope he gets the go ahead from Sony or another publisher to get another studio to remake it in C/C+/C++/another engine.

Haunted

The game has got far too big and complicated for him and Florin to manage in flash. I really hope he gets the go ahead from Sony or another publisher to get another studio to remake it in C/C+/C++/another engine.
After listening to the interview on MANvsGame, I don't think rewriting the game like that is even in the cards. For better or worse, we're stuck with what we've got from a framework perspective.

I just want it to drop that fucking spider butt already!

Toppot

After listening to the interview on MANvsGame, I don't think rewriting the game like that is even in the cards. For better or worse, we're stuck with what we've got from a framework perspective.

I just want it to drop that fucking spider butt already!
I shall have to give it a listen. Even if it's still flash I'm sure they can make it run better somehow on consoles.

It will drop eventually, the last items to get are always the most frustrating

Have they ever said anything about getting achievements working on the mac version? I play primarily on my macbook and not getting them is kind of a bummer.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Gotta say - not keen on Wrath. Seems a little too much chaos for my liking.

Isaac felt just right, but Wrath seems too bloated with stuff.

Maybe I need to give it more time. Just preferred the "purer" vibe of BOI.\

And STILL no Mac achievements? Disappoint.

Joe Molotov

Oh shit (literally!) I just saw a gold poop! It gave me 4 pennies and a nickle.

Edit: Umm...sometimes exits appear on the wrong sides of rooms now. I beat a boss, went in a Devil Room, and exited out of the Devil Room back into the level. Also I bombed a Secret Room and went in, and then the blast exit was on the other side of the room.

Haunted

Oh shit (literally!) I just saw a gold poop! It gave me 4 pennies and a nickle.

Edit: Umm...sometimes exits appear on the wrong sides of rooms now. I beat a boss, went in a Devil Room, and exited out of the Devil Room back into the level. Also I bombed a Secret Room and went in, and then the blast exit was on the other side of the room.
haha wow I came in here to post exactly those two things.

Golden poop takes a bit longer to destroy and gives a bunch of coins, and a devil room dumped me into the start room (like when you teleported to the room from a red chest in 1.2).

Haunted

Brimstone works again.

And yeah, that devil rooms spit you out into the start of the floor is going to be a real annoying bug, I can already tell.

Joe Molotov

Haha, found an invincibility glitch. I found one of the those devil bums that you can give hearts to, I gave him all my hearts, and the last heart container started flashing. After that I couldn't be hurt.

Edit: Until I picked up a heart.

Top Bottom