• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motivation to keep the title he's worked so long for as dastardly heels try to take it from him. It's easy, basic booking stuff.

Keep it until Summerslam at the very least and have him be the guy to have the most title defenses in the last 20 years, Bret Hart style.

Face Fandango, Ziggler, Titus, Del Rio, Sheamus in quality title TV matches while have you main event players on PPV. Make it like an arcade fighting game where Bryan climbs a ladder and fights various characters and encounter small stories along the way. It'll elevate the roster, and the product.

Scottify

Here you go, hope it's okay.

P0opQYD.jpg

qEpY2mt.png

strobogo

Banned
I'm legit shook about the Austin analogy.

Now I'm doubting everything. Fuck's sake.

There's still an overwhelming amount of reasons why Bryan wouldn't win it all:

-- He has a previous match with Triple H
-- Gives Triple H the opportunity to beat him in the first match (won't happen)
-- Gives Triple H the opportunity to beat him down and soften him up/injure him to keep him from the belt
-- Batista signed on for a reason, will be promoting a movie
-- WWE hates its fans getting what they want
-- Bryan is little
-- Batista is huge
-- Orton is fine
-- Chasing the title as a face is THE BEST and easiest way to get someone over. It's done though.

I just don't know if the positives of Bryan winning outweigh the possible positives out of him losing.

Winning the title put Austin to an even higher level. I don't think he ever faced anyone smaller than him as champion. He was an average (for wrestling) sized guy who was super popular and had a connection to the fans. It was a year between when he really broke out (WM 13) to winning the title (WM14). Winning the title catapulted him even higher than he already was and kept him there forever. It's been 2 years for Bryan in an age where things get blown through in 3 months. He is more and more over month. He gets main stream press. His chants and gear show up in other sports and media. He's the guy fans want and want to support. I fail to see how giving him the title for real this time is a bad move for anyone. Instead of the struggle to win, he can do the struggle to stay champion. He opens up a lot of interesting guys getting shots that would never get them with a Batista/Orton as champion.

Bryan is really the first guy in years to get over organically. Punk kind of did, but he also had the machine pushing him to the top before fans were ready to accept it and then he ran with it until he couldn't be denied. Bryan has made a genuine connection to audiences that hasn't been made in many years.

I see no reason for them NOT to have Bryan win the title other than to make fans angry. And Wrestlemania is not really the place to piss off your most hardcore fan base. Bryan can be the guy to shoulder the company with Cena, but the longer they drag this out, the less impact it is going to have and the less ability he has to be a true top guy. There literally (TM Gorilla Monsoon) is not a better place or time to pull the trigger than at Wrestlemania when he's at so far the peak of overness. They aren't going to get another chance as good as it is right now. It's the chance for a moment that gets played in all the highlight clips for the next 30 years. Daniel Bryan standing tall, 75000 people YES YES YESing behind him, fire works, people crying, maybe fans rushing the ring like the YES Movement sit in thing. At the 30th Wrestlemania. To go any other way is being spiteful as fuck and I really don't believe they would go with any thing else. If they do, it better be some amazing twist or epic screw job or else people are going to be pissed to the point of tuning out.

The angle has been going on since Summerslam, but the over all arc of Bryan has been going on since WM28. 30 is where it should come to a head and really christen in the next era.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to see Bryan haul ass during his entrance vs Triple H and for them to get into it before even hitting the ring. Forget the entrance, I'm thinking Ishii/Shibata levels of collision.

Scottify

I, for one, do hope that HHH beats Bryan. I'm of the mindset that the thrill is in the chase. If Bryan does chase the title, which HHH will probably have, then I think his popularity only increases.

strobogo

Banned
I would like to see Bryan haul ass during his entrance vs Triple H and for them to get into it before even hitting the ring. Forget the entrance, I'm thinking Ishii/Shibata levels of collision.

I think that probably will happen. Or at least Bryan does a dive as HHH comes to the ring.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Bryan should come out first and Hunner should skip his 10 minute intro and run down to the ring and Bryan can run towards him and meet on the ramp.

This won't happen

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about, can picture it clear as day.

No I can't, you darned smart fan weeaboo

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think my big hangup is I don't know what the ceiling is, I don't know when enough is enough (and its time for a change) with Bryan. I can't help but feel you can continue to milk it. Milk milk milk.

I personally feel like my Point of No Returns is Wrestlemania, unless they have something amazing planned for him afterwards (which I doubt). When was the last time we had a truly great Wrestlemania Moment that wasn't 100% forced/didn't feel genuine?

Winning the title put Austin to an even higher level. I don't think he ever faced anyone smaller than him as champion. He was an average (for wrestling) sized guy who was super popular and had a connection to the fans. It was a year between when he really broke out (WM 13) to winning the title (WM14). Winning the title catapulted him even higher than he already was and kept him there forever. It's been 2 years for Bryan in an age where things get blown through in 3 months. He is more and more over month. He gets main stream press. His chants and gear show up in other sports and media. He's the guy fans want and want to support. I fail to see how giving him the title for real this time is a bad move for anyone. Instead of the struggle to win, he can do the struggle to stay champion. He opens up a lot of interesting guys getting shots that would never get them with a Batista/Orton as champion.

Bryan is really the first guy in years to get over organically. Punk kind of did, but he also had the machine pushing him to the top before fans were ready to accept it and then he ran with it until he couldn't be denied. Bryan has made a genuine connection to audiences that hasn't been made in many years.

I see no reason for them NOT to have Bryan win the title other than to make fans angry. And Wrestlemania is not really the place to piss off your most hardcore fan base. Bryan can be the guy to shoulder the company with Cena, but the longer they drag this out, the less impact it is going to have and the less ability he has to be a true top guy. There literally (TM Gorilla Monsoon) is not a better place or time to pull the trigger than at Wrestlemania when he's at so far the peak of overness. They aren't going to get another chance as good as it is right now. It's the chance for a moment that gets played in all the highlight clips for the next 30 years. Daniel Bryan standing tall, 75000 people YES YES YESing behind him, fire works, people crying, maybe fans rushing the ring like the YES Movement sit in thing. At the 30th Wrestlemania. To go any other way is being spiteful as fuck and I really don't believe they would go with any thing else. If they do, it better be some amazing twist or epic screw job or else people are going to be pissed to the point of tuning out.

The angle has been going on since Summerslam, but the over all arc of Bryan has been going on since WM28. 30 is where it should come to a head and really christen in the next era.

MVP of Wrassle GAF right here.

Sephzilla

triple-h-nod.gif

I think my big hangup is I don't know what the ceiling is, I don't know when enough is enough (and its time for a change) with Bryan. I can't help but feel you can continue to milk it. Milk milk milk.

I agree. Bryan will not have a hotter program than he has right now after Wrestlemania. That's all the more reason to give him the title. If you play your cards right, it stays hot once the change happens. He can still feud with HHH by proxy after Wrestlemania.

strobogo

Banned

I don't think it can be milked too much longer before it loses its impact. Which sounds better:

Bryan finally beats HHH and goes on to win the title at the biggest show of the year in front of 75000 people freaking the fuck out and doing a massive collective YES chant

Or

Bryan gets screwed over again and wins the title in a few months at a random B-PPV in front of 11,000 people in Cleveland?

kirblar

Vince is saying that you need to rob him of the belt and create a chase again. I think he's correct, but that you have to at least let him have more than a day/week with the belt to stop the PTSD/abuse victim reaction when he loses it again.

I don't think it can be milked too much longer before it loses its impact. Which sounds better:

Bryan finally beats HHH and goes on to win the title at the biggest show of the year in front of 75000 people freaking the fuck out and doing a massive collective YES chant

Or

Bryan gets screwed over again and wins the title in a few months at a random B-PPV in front of 11,000 people in Cleveland?

triple-h-nod.gif

Hasney

I think best case is Bryan winning it all, HHH disappearing for a bit and then coming back the PPV after Extreme Rules to screw Bryan.

Vince is saying that you need to rob him of the belt and create a chase again. I think he's correct, but that you have to at least let him have more than a day/week with the belt to stop the PTSD/abuse victim reaction when he loses it again.

Give Daniel Bryan the Wrestlemania moment and go from there, you can always rebuild the chase afterwards. I mean they stripped Austin of the title on RAW the day after a PPV and they did it such a way it set up a whole new story/momentum change.

Ithil

I think people saying Bryan shouldn't win the title are saying it just to say it at this point.
I can't find any logic in him not winning the title.

Especially the stuff about "the chase". The chase dies out if it goes too long with too many close calls, and all you've done is take the lightning in a bottle and pour it out, leaving you with nothing, if that happens.
Goto in NJPW is a midcard guy, who should have been a main event guy, but they never pulled the trigger, he had tons of World title challenges but always lost in the end, and his overness cooled off, so now he's over, but just midcard over.

What's the point, really? Just make Bryan a star. Nothing Batista does is going to equal the 5 or 6 years you could have with Bryan as a huge star at the top of the company.

I think people saying Bryan shouldn't win the title are saying it just to say it at this point.

Especially the stuff about "the chase". The chase dies out if it goes too long with too many close calls, and all you've done is take the lightning in a bottle and pour it out, leaving you with nothing, if that happens.
Goto in NJPW is a midcard guy, who should have been a main event guy, but they never pulled the trigger, he had tons of World title challenges but always lost in the end, and his overness cooled off, so now he's over, but just midcard over.

What's the point, really? Just make Bryan a star. Nothing Batista does is going to equal the 5 or 6 years you could have with Bryan as a huge star at the top of the company.

Agreed.

Its been an 8 month chase, how much longer of a storyline do you need, especially in modern WWE? You can't get a 5 year chase like they had with Rhodes in Mid South in the 80s anymore.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It just all boils down to people wanting someone that looks like a weakling to win.

Scottify

I don't know that I'd agree with weakling. Homeless maybe, but not weakling. Sure he's been beaten down often, but he's also exacted some revenge as well as proven he's strong when it comes to motivating fans. I still think HHH wins, but I've been wrong many, many times before.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know that I'd agree with weakling. Homeless maybe, but not weakling. Sure he's been beaten down often, but he's also exacted some revenge as well as proven he's strong when it comes to motivating fans. I still think HHH wins, but I've been wrong many, many times before.

Did You Know?

Homeless was the champion of an independent promotion. I always wanted to see Homeless perform.

BHZ Mayor

You know what else kept the chase going until people stopped caring? Inuyasha.

Is that what you people want? You want Daniel Bryan to become Inuyasha?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know what else kept the chase going until people stopped caring? Inuyasha.

Is that what you people want? You want Daniel Bryan to become Inuyasha?

Inuyasha was cosplayed for over ten years, long past its shelf life.

hmmm...

strobogo

Banned
It just all boils down to people wanting someone that looks like a weakling to win.

You only look as weak as you're made to look, bruddah. Anyone can be made to look like a world beater if they are booked that way and carry themselves that way. Even if Bryan is little, his strikes look fucking mean and look like things that would absolutely fuck up guys the size of Ryback and Cesaro. His submissions are real submissions that can tap any size guy out in real fights as well. When the story calls for the heel to talk about how small and weak the face is, and then the faces loses, it proves the heel right. And that's a terrible way to book someone. It's the same thing that stalled Booker's career for years. HHH said he was a loser who couldn't be at that level, then went over with the super delayed pin and proved HHH right. So from that point on, Booker was seen as a guy who could never be at that level. And even as King Booker, he really never was.

Booking 101 has the face proving he might be small, but he isn't weak and kicking the heels ass. Having HHH go over in that situation helps no one. It makes Bryan/whoever look small and weak, but it doesn't help HHH any because all he did was beat a small weakling. I know you know your wrasslin, Sunny, and I know you know I'm right about this and going any other way is being spiteful to fans just to be spiteful.

Deadstar

How does CM Punk coming back fit into all this? He comes in the Triple H Bryan match and causes Triple H to lose to Bryan?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I was mostly joking about this but it kinda makes sense.

Bryan has 'connected' with others who want to look gross and look like an everyday person. Lots of unkempt beards and beta behavior, and an underwhelming physique.

Austin got over with the redneck crowd because they all did manual labor and looked at least in the same ballpark, physically, and had a boss they'd love to kick's ass.

Am I WAY off base with this or does it sound reasonable?

EDIT: Stro I am a spiteful dude. You're right.

Bryan has 'connected' with others who want to look gross and look like an everyday person. Lots of unkempt beards and beta behavior, and an underwhelming physique.

Austin got over with the redneck crowd because they all did manual labor and looked at least in the same ballpark, physically, and had a boss they'd love to kick's ass.

I dunno. You have unkempt facial hair with your love of soul patches, and your physique is...eh. By all acounts, you should be a Bryan fan!

Schadenfreude

Scottify

I dunno. It seems it's just the Underdog Against The Man type of thing. Most everyone will root for someone who's been unjustly kept down and fighting against those who are in power.

Aiii

So not worth it
How does CM Punk coming back fit into all this? He comes in the Triple H Bryan match and causes Triple H to lose to Bryan?

Cross posting from WrassleGAF, subscribe: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=794690

Steve Austin recently spoke with The Boston Herald to promote WrestleMania XXX. Austin commented on the CM Punk situation:

"Punk’s fed up with not main-eventing WrestleMania."

Austin also commented on a possible match between the two:

"I could get more out of that guy than anybody else walking Planet Earth. He could have that ultimate ‘Come to Jesus’ meeting with me. Punk’s been around for a long time and he’s a smart guy, but he never stepped into a damn squared circle with the intensity of a guy like Stone Cold Steve Austin."

So, fantasy booking time, Austin has said in the past he would not make the trip down if they didn't have something interesting and useful for him to do at Mania. Austin has also said he's sticking to his prediction that Punk is returning at Mania. He now mentions Punk’s fed up with not main-eventing WrestleMania. Even though he has said in the past that he didn't know why Punk left. Indicating he has since gained new insight. Punk remains completely unburied on TV, which is weird for WWE. His girlfriend/fiancé was not buried either. They don't even include him in the burial video packages.

What if Punk really was to beat up and burned out to continue working, what if this Bryan story was decided on just before or the day after the RR when the crowd flipped out at Batista. What if Austin and Punk finally get their dream match and main event at WM31. What if they set up this match at Mania on Sunday?

A lot of stars need to align, but the weird part is him leaving while his girl was still there and then getting even getting engaged to AJ, why would you not be in WWE on the road with your wife? AJ quitting is a possibility, people do odd things for love and AJ leaving WWE at her age with at least 3 to 5 years left before that biological clock starts ticking (if they want kids at all) and she worked pretty fucking hard to realize her dream. I don't see her quitting now. It's possible he found his soulmate and wanted to lock her down because he'd only be around her fifty days a year when she is not on the road, but really?

Ton of this makes no sense if Punk really did leave, I might be clinging to some weird hope here, but wouldn't it be awesome if this happened like this?

Courage

The results are gonna be predictable, but I still feel this Wrestlemania is gonna be great.

I don't think they're gonna drag out the "Bryan getting fucked over" arc anymore. It's time for him to shine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. You have unkempt facial hair with your love of soul patches, and your physique is...eh. By all acounts, you should be a Bryan fan!

I won't have you badmouthing soul patches.

All great men from history had them.

RkWmjxd.jpg

7DYt1Pu.jpg

And I'll have you know I work hard on my physique! It's my life's work!

Are we really going back to the Ryan doesn't look like a champion argument.

Give him a shape up and some decent merch and boom

wWE really has a chance with this mania to transition to the next generation of stars.

Bryan, Bray , Cesaro and the shield are ready for the next level

Sokantish

You sound completely crazy, Vince McMahon-like even.

I imagine that was the aim

iMax

Bryan wins. Batista wins Money in the Bank and cashes in just in time to sell his little movie. Believe that.

strobogo

Banned

You can WANT HHH to win because you'd rather that happen, but you can't really think Bryan not going over is the right booking move. It makes no sense and would only reinforce that Bryan is a weak goober who shouldn't be taken seriously ever again. And that's a pretty stupid way to book your most over guy.

Also, no way did Austin have an average working man's physique. Dude was pretty jacked. But the audience has changed, the culture has changed, and the size of wrestlers have changed. A guy Bryan's size isn't nearly as small in comparison to even the Attitude Era. The average height is much smaller now than it was then. Use HBK as the measuring stick. Compare how tall he looked in 1996-1998 as compared to 2002-on. HBK looked tall and lean in his come back because the average size changed dramatically in those 4 years and continues to get smaller. There aren't many monsters anymore. Even Bateaster isn't that big anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom