• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing / Author Community

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I looked around to see if we have a writing community, and it doesn't look like we do so I figured might as well start one. I'm sure we have a bunch of writers on this site, after all.

WRITING GUIDES
On Writing
Save the Cat
Snowflake Method
Elements of Fiction Writing (thanks Decal4 Decal4 !)

BRANDON SANDERSON'S BYU WRITING COURSE

RULES
1 - Feel free to share your work. Any kind of writing is welcome (e.g poetry, fiction, essays). Make sure that the contents abide by the NeoGAF terms of service.
2 - If you are providing feedback for someone's work, make sure that is constructive. We will hopefully have writers of various skill levels here, ranging from noobs to veterans. Let's keep it friendly
3 - Feel free to promote your work here if you feel comfortable

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
What are you all working on write now? I'm currently writing a fantasy novel about a war over a time machine. I'm about 45k words in.

I'm a big fan of outlining. I've been working on this novel seriously for 14 years. Wrote the first draft several times, then started pushing to get the other chapters done. Wrote chapters 2-4 from 2021 to 2023. Then I outlined the whole book. I've been pumping out 2-3 chapters a month since June. I'm now almost done with chapter 11.

I love outlining so SO much.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Writer humor...

I am absoutnly NO writer...but currently building a bunch of interaction dialogue for a training sim and trimming down the intro dialogue for game.

(i left that spelling error on purpose in retaliation to your joke)
That sounds interesting actually. Are you modeling the dialogue off anything in particular?

Decal4

Neo Member
I'm telling you, The Elements of Writing Fiction series from the 90s are a super underrated resource for the nuts and bolts of writing. If I hear popular flashy-yet-less-rigorous works like Save the Cat and other vague feel-good systems (that don't give you strong fundamentals about how to structure your story, develop your setting to be enough yet not consume years of your life a la Tolkien and his lifelong work to create middle earth) get touted on YouTube again, I'm going to frown in annoyance again.

But here's the thing, people who know of those books are cool and I like em. And I'm not looking to stay in writing.com any longer, so might as well join up here too.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I'm telling you, The Elements of Writing Fiction series from the 90s are a super underrated resource for the nuts and bolts of writing. If I hear popular flashy-yet-less-rigorous works like Save the Cat and other vague feel-good systems (that don't give you strong fundamentals about how to structure your story, develop your setting to be enough yet not consume years of your life a la Tolkien and his lifelong work to create middle earth) get touted on YouTube again, I'm going to frown in annoyance again.

But here's the thing, people who know of those books are cool and I like em. And I'm not looking to stay in writing.com any longer, so might as well join up here too.

That one? I'll add it to to the resource list!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
That sounds interesting actually. Are you modeling the dialogue off anything in particular?
The training sims are all heavy industry focused so its more about explaining what they are training on, UI/UX, interaction controls, scoring, etc.

Turn Based Strat/RPG demo days are coming up for steam. Getting a demo ready so we are trimming/polishing.

Podge

Neo Member
Thanks for creating this thread. I’m working on a collection of short stories and am deep into my (bad) first draft of a novel manuscript. I’m in graduate school for writing so I’m fortunate to have a consistent, high quality feedback loop from my classmates and professors. I’m trying to use the manuscript as my thesis, which needs to be ready in Spring 2026.

Still unpublished, hoping to get one of my flash stories accepted somewhere.

How do you find motivation to write? I started writing a story and around 20,000 words and three chapters I suddendly lost motivation. It's like I never find time to do so, with work and family and all that.

I also wrote a novel back in 2010 in my native language which I'm trying to translate to English and republish, but again, it's hard to find time and willpower to do so.

Podge

Neo Member
How do you find motivation to write? I started writing a story and around 20,000 words and three chapters I suddendly lost motivation. It's like I never find time to do so, with work and family and all that.

I also wrote a novel back in 2010 in my native language which I'm trying to translate to English and republish, but again, it's hard to find time and willpower to do so.
Free writing 30 minutes a day is a technique I learned which helps me keep motivated and in the habit of writing daily. This method is often referred to as “Morning Pages” as coined by Julia Cameron in The Artist’s Way.

It’s pretty simple. Set a timer for thirty minutes and just start writing (I prefer typing to handwriting but either works). Don’t self-edit and try not to worry about spelling or punctuation. Just write. Don’t stop. Don’t think too much about it, since this exercise is about getting the fingers moving rather than storytelling. I listen to music or a podcast while I write my Morning Pages.

I recommend this to everyone. Kind of like how an athlete warms up before competition, a writer ought to free write before getting to work.

Hope this helps. It transformed the way I approach writing and I swear by the Morning Pages method.

Last edited:

Decal4

Neo Member
That one? I'll add it to to the resource list!
Yep! Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight Swain is kind of the granddad to these books but it is long and meandering in its text, I think someone just transcribed his lectures in college. For sci-fi fantasy authors / those who like Him Butcher books, Debra Chester wrote The Fantasy Fiction Formula and Fiction formula Plotting, they say formula but they are more a survey of the Elements of Writing series squeezed into a more modern book. Distilled I guess. And last off because the thought has occur me, K M. Weilands Writing Character Arcs /writing archetypal character arcs really helped me understand and get to know my main character beyond the sense of fuzziness and wanting to fill out the vague character interview style dossier we have seen on the web, now I actually know what his deal is and how to portray him grow as a character, not just as a human to a dragon.

Anyways back to Elements. Setting, Scene and Structure, Conflict and Suspense admire my favs. Character by Orson Scott Card is good but it didn't stand out to me as being revolutionary to my writing craft like the others did, probably just because I had already read the Debra Chester books. Beginnings Middles and Endings, Theme, Description, they were at least to me forgettable though I like having read them and have the ability to skim through them when I need specific copy advice.

The fact of the matter is I am a super outliner so before I write a draft (this will be like my 12th draft, my book has to stand up to my ridiculously high standards so I can know it's worthy to be traditionally published even though I don't expect it to because it does not have enough Diverse Points to do so with the be publishing houses to get debut published), so those books are sitting until they are needed.

Wanna write the book for me? Here's the pitch SPOOC Debra Chester teaches you to do.

When his home is invaded and his king is killed and he himself unexpectedly transformed into a dragon, Edin wants nothing more than to stop the invaders so he can somehow reverse this transformation and go home to his comfy human life. But can he do that when Kerkyon, the dragon leading the invading army, targets his friends for destruction?

So a clunky pitch, that's why it's not done. But it fulfills the goal of a dragon being in the cover and the book actually being about dragons, not just being on the cover to sell the book, then inside it's just a flying horse or appears for a single scene then is gone, or is "so powerful" it spends all of the book in overbearingly prideful human form (not that I'm bitter about buying books with dragons on the cover only to be disappointed for various reasons or anything senpai).

Like the other author said, Morning pages are great ( though I do 3 pages in my journal, not 30 minutes of copy). The biggest thing is a set appointment for yourself where you are in the mode to write, writing can sometimes mean you are researching characters or outlining, but for whatever time, you do the writing thing. For a long time I had the appointment with the London writers salon writers hour series, that really helped me move fast and I fell off because of return to office but I have been meaning to return to that because that is what really drives the forward progress is incremental progress each day, not solving all your problems in moments of inspiration.

Magister

Neo Member
I would like to write a story, but when it comes to self-publishing, Amazon has some very strict content bots (I read that you may get flagged just for mentioning words such as "school"). And they can delist all of your work and ban you from further publishing if the bot has a bad day, just for that one word or if the content is too "extreme" for Amazon bots (And I don't mean creepy shit that glorifies illegal acts).

There were also lots of examples where authors used Kindle Select and got their entire bibliography delisted because they got too many page views and the bot thought that those authors were using bots.

What I wanted to say is that Amazon sucks for publishing, but it is where the audience is. Sure, there are alternatives such as Royal Road+Patreon or publishing a web serial on a blog, but those will not allow you to grow an audience that is just as big.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan

The key isn't motivation, it's discipline. You have to set a specific goal for write each day. Whether it be a word count goal, or a time goal, just make sure you adhere to it. For myself, I write about an hour a day. 30 minutes before work and 30 minutes during lunch. I can usually pump out between 500-700 words a day in this way. It doesn't sound like much, but that translates to 2-3 chapters a month. It's not a race, after all.

I find that outlining has helped me tremendously. I spend about a month sketching out the story, and then I can free to execute it as I see fit. Not having to brainstorm plot as I write has aided me tremendously in ways I can't understate. Eventually I'll detail my approach to outlining. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's helped me a ton.

As for freewriting, I agree it's a great tool. I use it to warm up or the day. There is always a sense of dread whenever I go to sit down. A feeling of "Can I do it today?" Freewriting helps me shake off the morning rust and put myself in a storytelling mindset. I don't do it too long. Maybe 5-10 minutes. But it's a great way to get yourself in that headspace.

More than anything, writing is a skillset and a mindset. The more you do it, the more you get used to putting yourself in a storytelling mindset.

I would like to write a story, but when it comes to self-publishing, Amazon has some very strict content bots (I read that you may get flagged just for mentioning words such as "school"). And they can delist all of your work and ban you from further publishing if the bot has a bad day, just for that one word or if the content is too "extreme" for Amazon bots (And I don't mean creepy shit that glorifies illegal acts).

There were also lots of examples where authors used Kindle Select and got their entire bibliography delisted because they got too many page views and the bot thought that those authors were using bots.

What I wanted to say is that Amazon sucks for publishing, but it is where the audience is. Sure, there are alternatives such as Royal Road+Patreon or publishing a web serial on a blog, but those will not allow you to grow an audience that is just as big.

I can't really vouch for traditional publishing, but I'll add some self-publishing resources to the OP when I get the chance. If any others have advise on self publishing hit me up and i'll include it in the OP

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Again, I am not a writer but whenever I look at organization tools folks also talk about the need to "remove distractions" and "get to just writing" etc.

Sorry to derail but its writer adjacent ;)

Last edited:

Decal4

Neo Member

Again, I am not a writer but whenever I look at organization tools folks are always describing the fact they talk about the need to "remove distractions" and "get to just writing" etc.

Sorry to derail but its writer adjacent ;)
No it's a fair callout! Rather than pay extra for crazy devices (though I have done my time trying to get back the cool writing-only device, I have an alphasmart neo for example), I end up sitting down in front of an ancient airgapped Win98 powered Compaq Presario with a model M keyboard and Word 97. The .doc format can still be read even in latest office 365 and besides, even if it couldn't, I'm just blurting out copy, so it can be plaintext.

Pinterest image

kziGpKG.png

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I mean, I'm a spoiled baby. I use my multi-screen PC for writing. Google doc on center monitor, story bible on right monitor, maps and more notes on left monitor.

Decal4

Neo Member
I mean, I'm a spoiled baby. I use my multi-screen PC for writing. Google doc on center monitor, story bible on right monitor, maps and more notes on left monitor.
Oh I love that setup! I never thought to do multi monitor but id enjoy trying out that design. I use Dragon speech to text and wander / madly Pace the house and talk the story out loud into yWriter (its controls and textboxes are native to Windows so it can go back a certain word and such better than if I were to try to use OneNote. Word would work but I get too tempted to format as I go, so it is yWriter for copy drafting, then I export to RTF and massage the format only when the entire manuscript copy is done), so I don't see the monitors except when I go back to glance at the screen on occasion.

I also try to do the Steal Like an Artist thing where I have an analog desk for planning and creativity and then the digital desk is only for filling in / data entry / editing what I've come up with on paper. Otherwise my '5 minutes to update my setting details in its OneNote world bible' turns into '2 hours of the latest exploit by the Spiffing Brit'.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I realized I have a problem, stylistically today. I am terrible with using "was". 70 uses of it in my current chapter. It's going to be fun through and correcting that when I start to edit the novel after I finish the first drafts.

Decal4

Neo Member
I realized I have a problem, stylistically today. I am terrible with using "was". 70 uses of it in my current chapter. It's going to be fun through and correcting that when I start to edit the novel after I finish the first drafts.
Maybe "was" is a word that gets skipped as a tag? Like how

"My goodness, that sure could be cool!" the girl said, taking a closer look at the fired pistol, not noticing my perforated body flop heavily to the floor.

has the word said in it, but nobody notices because it is just a tag.

Then again, it could be your 'thing' too. Brandon Sanderson is always having characters grunt, constantly, like every 3 words it feels like, at least from the audiobook version.

Top Bottom