• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

If I had an extra two hours in the day I'd be down for this, but all my free time needs to go elsewhere :(

I have a cool scifi idea that would be perfect for this too D:

Why not do 1/3 books, then? You have up until April 1st. :)

Put me down as well H Pro. I'll be writing a trilogy that takes 1 & 1/2 hours to read each part.

Sweet! Sounds like just the thing for this challenge.

Hmm. I don't have Word on my new PC. I can use Scrivener, I guess (where I'm still working on the 2nd novel in my series) or ... does anyone have suggestions for this writing challenge? How difficult is it to get something from Google Docs into Kindle?

I use Open Office since my Word subscription expired (wth happened to Word being something you could buy, not just rent?!). It's serviceable, and it works with the "Free Template" for the kindle book formatting that I linked. Should do you well enough for now.

Jintor

Max Brooks can't be the only person who's ever written a fictional oral history, can he?

I'm just dreaming that this whole area is ripe for some two-bit hustler moving in to plant a quick novella in there, right?

sirap

Hmm. I don't have Word on my new PC. I can use Scrivener, I guess (where I'm still working on the 2nd novel in my series) or ... does anyone have suggestions for this writing challenge? How difficult is it to get something from Google Docs into Kindle?

Also interested in this. My hard drive conveniently died this morning and can't replace it (or get a new laptop which I would rather do) for a while. Looking forward to typing on my ipad and cursing out autocorrect.

It shouldn't be too difficult. Back when I couldn't afford Scrivener and Vellum I downloaded all my books as zipped Web Page from Docs and uploaded it straight to Amazon. iirc there was a bug with the way Docs exported .docx files, but .html worked fine.

Just make sure your formatting is on point (there are plenty of Youtube videos on this)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hate... hate... cutting stuff that I've written. I want to show everything that I'm envisioning in my mind, but sometimes it ends up feeling like a slog to read because I try to add every last little detail. But taking it out feels like I just wasted my time in the first place.

In my ideal world, the future me is successful enough that I can release a director's cut of my novels.

DD

Np. Just finishing the book is the important part. Once you reach that point, then you can join the rest of us as we flail about worrying and fretting over all the other stuff. :)

So I was at the right place! :D

It's "finished", but not polished enough. :3

I hate... hate... cutting stuff that I've written. I want to show everything that I'm envisioning in my mind, but sometimes it ends up feeling like a slog to read because I try to add every last little detail. But taking it out feels like I just wasted my time in the first place.

In my ideal world, the future me is successful enough that I can release a director's cut of my novels.

Cutting is probably the most important thing you'll do on a text. It's what makes it sharp. I cut something around 30 pages from my first draft.
But I have to confess: I added a lot of stuff I felt was missing to add some "mojo".

Has anyone used Ulysses? I've been using Scrivener mostly because everyone uses it, but I've never really liked it's freeform nature and some of the UI feels clunky. Now that iPads and iCloud sync are a thing, Ulysses is looking more tempting. It certainly looks more modern and focused. I don't need to do crazy publishing stuff right now, so maybe it'd be better for writing.

I also own Nisus Writer Pro, which is a great, long-lived Mac alternative to MS Word, but oddly I never use it for writing.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
– Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

That's true in the visual arts, and true in writing as well.

zulux21

when I get around to editing book 3 of my series I am likely going to have to cut most of what I currently have written.

At no point do I feel that this is a waste of time though as the stuff I have is still a basis for what needs to be there, and ultimately is far more done then if I had done nothing.

even if the stuff I have doesn't make it into the book, the simple fact is that I will have designed more characters, more bits of my world, that I can keep in mind in future things and help me make my story even better.

What I am saying is even if you don't use it, it isn't really a waste of time. making the whole thing may have lead to bits you kept you wouldn't have had otherwise, or at the very least it went down a path you realized you didn't need.

heck I wrote a chapter last month that isn't even in my rough draft because I knew it didn't fit and wasn't a good idea, but I couldn't get the stupid idea out of my head so I just said screw it and wrote it one night to get it out lol.

sirap

Has anyone used Ulysses? I've been using Scrivener mostly because everyone uses it, but I've never really liked it's freeform nature and some of the UI feels clunky. Now that iPads and iCloud sync are a thing, Ulysses is looking more tempting. It certainly looks more modern and focused. I don't need to do crazy publishing stuff right now, so maybe it'd be better for writing.

I do. I still prefer it over Scrivener for IOS when I'm writing on my Ipad Pro.

Jintor

i've been using this yWriter software thing and it's really nice just for keeping my scenes and chapters organised so I don't have to scroll through a single massive word doc or try and save a word doc in multiple places. No idea how it exports though. But it's pretty good for drafting!

I wrote about 5k words today of a superhero oral history. Unfortunately... I don't know what the oral history is about, or what the story is...

zulux21

i've been using this yWriter software thing and it's really nice just for keeping my scenes and chapters organised so I don't have to scroll through a single massive word doc or try and save a word doc in multiple places. No idea how it exports though. But it's pretty good for drafting!

I wrote about 5k words today of a superhero oral history. Unfortunately... I don't know what the oral history is about, or what the story is...

I might have to look at that.
I am currently working on going through my story quickly and finding my established cities/towns ect as I need to work on finalizing some of the world and history and what not as I am at a point where I want my main character and reader to learn more about the world.

though I am quickly realizing I am good at not naming stuff.

and it's a bad feeling when you realize that you don't know if the town your character visits in chapter 1 is the main town that the second half of the book takes place in or not >.<: (I think it is, but am not 100% sure, and if it is, I really should drop the name in chapter 1 instead of chapter 5 first)

NYR Challenge Participants:
H.Protagonist
Cyan
Ashes
Angmars
Dolla Dolla

So I was at the right place! :D

It's "finished", but not polished enough. :3
[/SPOILER]

Close! But you can't pass into the panic stage until you finish the polish stage which then leads to the excitement stage followed by the despair level. :D

Count me in. Even if I only get one 35k novel out of this, it'll have been worth my time. Thanks for setting this up, H.Protagonist.

Excellent! It's my pleasure, especially since this was my own New Year's resolution. I just thought I'd drag other people along. :) And, yes, completion of any book out of this is winning. Regardless of whether or not people end up with 3 works at the end, it's going to be fun. The cover-making and hitting the publish button parts are especially hilarious.

I see you H.Pro. I see you.

Heh. Heh. Heh.

I don't even know what I would write a novella about... :|

Seriously, I'm having a complete blank right now. I think I get locked into 'this idea needs to be this idea and nothing else' too much as part of procrastinating on it.
And I don't really know how to get past that.

Would a non-fiction entry in the 10-15k range be permissible?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My sequel (well, prequel) book is taking an interesting turn. The original novel was near-future fantasy, but this prequel is almost straight up sci-fi. I initially went into this project wanting to show how completely different generations can lead into one another; example, book one has "magic" in the traditional sense, although nobody can use it naturally anymore, instead requiring technological assistance to do so; book two shows the world before it ever showed up in the first place, and fills in the holes as to how it ever came to exist.

I wanted to keep magic feeling magical while also offering a rational explanation for it.

I don't usually like sharing my stuff, but here's the intro to my prequel. Does this catch anyone's attention? Does this look like total schlock? Too cliche? The book is meant to feel like a 70's/80's sci-fi movie that eventually leads into the more fantasy oriented world we see in the first book.

I was a civilian passenger on the N.C.A. Dentdelion, one of six ships that had left our home world to escape from our society. I was but an infant when we left, so I don't know much about why we were driven out from our planet. I only know what my parents and my elders have told me; we weren't welcome on our world. We rebelled against our government and failed, and in a last ditch effort to preserve ourselves, we escaped into the vastness of space. It's been twenty years since then. I've spent my entire life among an ocean of stars. I'd never known anything besides life on the fleet. That was fine with me: I liked it there. I went to school, I had friends, and I even had a career lined up in politics. For all intents and purposes, it did not seem like we are on the run at all. Life as I'd known it had always been peaceful. The reason we left never mattered to me, and I enjoyed my life as it was. It was only a matter of time, however, before our past caught up with us.

It was the year A.D. 3201, exactly two decades after leaving our home. The captain of the fleet had been searching for a hospitable planet for some time, and had finally made headway in the investigation when a planet showed up on our scanners - Planet X00347, or, as it was commonly known, Planet Aerys. According to the records back home, the planet had been classified as inhospitable due to the high frequency of electric storms across its surface. Upon closer examination, however, it appeared that what we had initially recorded as storms were instead a previously unknown energy source - one that we later identified &#8211; perhaps a bit uncreatively - as "ley lines," a source of concentrated energy not found anywhere else in the known universe. Realizing that the planet was hospitable after all, the fleet made its way towards the planet. There was a lot of political disagreement over this decision. Moving into the same space as Planet Aerys meant moving into direct range of our home planet's radar. We had successfully avoided them for so long that many were against moving onto the planet at all. However, our dying energy reserves, and the abundance of energy on Aerys, eventually swayed the decision to migrate in the public's favor. The directorial board agreed to move to Planet Aerys, and the fleet made the jump to the space above the planet.

They were waiting for us. Immediately upon entering into orbit above Aerys, the military fleet of our home planet opened fire on our much smaller fleet. They gunned us down with ruthless efficiency, without warning of any kind. We attempted to return fire, but it was to no avail. The entire fleet plummeted to the surface of the planet below, and many of our ships burned up in the atmosphere. Of our six ships - Gheviel, Golganar, Malaburn, Aeginlight, Elyris, and Dendtdelion - only ours, the Dendtdelion, survived the assault. The remains of the others scattered to the surface below, with none of their crew having survived. I lost many of my friends that day, including my parents, who were stationed on the mothership, Gheviel, at the time. The Dendtdelion suffered permanent injuries, and it would never fly again, but it survived the fall to the surface. Our ship entered the atmosphere relatively intact, and we were able to land our ship on a landmass on the northern edge of the planet with relative efficiency. 95% of our crew survived. The home fleet likely assumed us dead due to their erroneous reports on the stormy surface of Planet Aerys. It was a miracle beyond miracles. Our migration had not gone as planned, and we suffered heavy losses in the process, but it was a success. The technology and reserves of our ship were mostly intact, and, as our ships left with the intention of migration, this would allow us to live comfortable lives on the surface.

I never imagined what would happen next. Planet Aerys was already populated by a species that was, both in appearance and in culture, almost exactly like us!

Their technology was incredibly primitive. They were only just beginning an industrial revolution. First contact was made almost immediately. They did not seem hostile, and we were able to communicate through basic gestures. It was only a matter of time before we began to learn each other's language. Our identical physiology allowed us to do so, which fascinates me to this day. How could a race almost exactly like ours populate another part of the galaxy? As we began cultural exchange, we began to realize that this planet had one key difference from our own; the ley lines that ran beneath its surface. The planet's energy allowed for the physical manifestation of what was previously an intangible concept - the spirit. When citizens of Aerys died, their spirit could be seen physically leaving their bodies. The culture surrounding funerals and goodbyes after death was, as one would imagine, very different. Death was not the end. Death was a joyous departure, and the beginning of a journey to a new and unseen world.

This fascinated us. What had once been an abstract idea was now something that was definitively real. It dramatically changed the philosophies and beliefs of many of our people. Our culture was one that relied on science and technology, and most of our kind only believed in what could be scientifically proven. We immediately began research into the subject. Where did the spirit go? If we persisted after death, was the spirit immortal? If the spirit was immortal, was it travelling to a plane that transcended time?

Could we take the power of the spirit into our own hands?

That was the beginning of the end.

To the natives, death was a sacred tradition. To our dismay, they would not let us research the spirits of their loved ones as they left their bodies, even though we insisted that it may grant us eternal life. Most of us were obsessed with the concept of progress, the idea of immortality, and the power that lie within the ley lines of the earth. And most of us did not care what happened to the natives in pursuit of that power. We began to defile holy ground, we set up laboratories in sacred sites, and we began our research into the ley lines beneath the earth and the realms beyond our own. If the natives resisted, they were put down. They were eventually seen as a liability, and we shut down all cultural exchange between us. It was "us" and "them." And we had the technological edge.

It was not long before we began to persecute them.

We built our own cities with the material from the Dentdelion, which served as our capital. Our cities were grand, sleek, advanced and majestic, like those from our home world. Compared to the primitive technology of the natives, we were as Gods. There was resistance, but it was quickly quelled. We effectively became the ruling caste of the planet. We let them live in their own pockets of land, in their own, less developed cities, but we were always looming over them. Our own cities were placed closely to theirs, lording over them like a vile shadow.

Were we always like this?

Why did we leave our home planet?

I have so many doubts. This cannot be the right course of action. Our greed and lust for power is causing the suffering of so many people. I plan to take my concerns to the senate tomorrow. I may not like what I hear, but I can no longer sit back and do nothing.

-Ryan Sparrow, Medicinal Consultant for N.C.A. Dendtdelion

Sorry to bomb this thread in the midst of a writing contest; if I am being intrusive, carry on and ignore this post.

Welp, after some sufficient time I've nudged the two publishing houses with my books. I'm nervous :X

Still wondering if I should start editing Toyland today or wait until February. It's been a bit over a month since I finished the first draft; however, my video game project is screaming something fierce at me. Goddamn deadlines. Probably won't have time for both.

Also need to figure out if I can even call it Toyland as that might be a trademarked thing. Which sucks because I dunno what else to call it!

My sequel (well, prequel) book is taking an interesting turn. The original novel was near-future fantasy, but this prequel is almost straight up sci-fi. I initially went into this project wanting to show how completely different generations can lead into one another; example, book one has "magic" in the traditional sense, although nobody can use it naturally anymore, instead requiring technological assistance to do so; book two shows the world before it ever showed up in the first place, and fills in the holes as to how it ever came to exist.
It reads like a big ol' dump of exposition, which you know, have their time in place but I wouldn't open a novel with that.

SolVanderlyn

Welp, after some sufficient time I've nudged the two publishing houses with my books. I'm nervous :X

Still wondering if I should start editing Toyland today or wait until February. It's been a bit over a month since I finished the first draft; however, my video game project is screaming something fierce at me. Goddamn deadlines. Probably won't have time for both.

Also need to figure out if I can even call it Toyland as that might be a trademarked thing. Which sucks because I dunno what else to call it!

It reads like a big ol' dump of exposition, which you know, have their time in place but I wouldn't open a novel with that.
Hmm, duly noted. I don't know if this changes anything, but none of the rest of either novel is written like that and the next line is a character finding a journal which contains the words in the intro. For example, excerpt from a paragraph or so later:

The brown haired man stood over a dead scientist, holding in his hand a worn and battered journal. The only text on the front of the journal was a hastily scribbled name that had been engraved onto its leather cover: Ryan S. Sparrow. The man was perusing the first few pages of the journal, looking over its contents with a stern and almost disdainful expression.

Maybe I will change it though.

What does this mean?

Not a history of blowjobs.

An oral history is a collection of 'oral passages', that is stories or anecdotes as told by a particular person. It's essentially documentary style 'letting people tell their stories', except in written form. World War Z uses it with the primary narrator collecting stories from people on the war against the undead a decade before that, where each segment / chapter is a person telling an anecdote / story about what they experienced during that war.

It's a form of window telling, but while letting interviewees tell each part, with the interviewer just there to ask some small questions, not a lot of questions like in most modern interviews.

In this context of a 'superhero oral history' it could be about the effects and fallout of something like the events of Superman II or Man of Steel, where a group of superpowered aliens try to take over the world, one steps up against them, but appears to have been here for a much longer time, but even after that is resolved there is no going back to the world that existed before. An oral history is a place to discuss the feelings and consequences of such historic events during and after they have taken place.
Something like the climax of Red Son would actually be a good place to have the interviewees look back on.

Soulfire

An oral history is a collection of 'oral passages', that is stories or anecdotes as told by a particular person. It's essentially documentary style 'letting people tell their stories', except in written form. World War Z uses it with the primary narrator collecting stories from people on the war against the undead a decade before that, where each segment / chapter is a person telling an anecdote / story about what they experienced during that war.

It's a form of window telling, but while letting interviewees tell each part, with the interviewer just there to ask some small questions, not a lot of questions like in most modern interviews.

In this context of a 'superhero oral history' it could be about the effects and fallout of something like the events of Superman II or Man of Steel, where a group of superpowered aliens try to take over the world, one steps up against them, but appears to have been here for a much longer time, but even after that is resolved there is no going back to the world that existed before. An oral history is a place to discuss the feelings and consequences of such historic events during and after they have taken place.
Something like the climax of Red Son would actually be a good place to have the interviewees look back on.

I don't know why more people didn't imitate this after World War Z came out, with things like superheroes and supernatural creatures etc. Maybe they did and I missed it, but I loved the whole concept and WWZ is one of my favorite books, the audio book is really great too.

I meant how does he not know what it's about after he's just written it? That makes no sense to me.

Hmm, duly noted. I don't know if this changes anything, but none of the rest of either novel is written like that and the next line is a character finding a journal which contains the words in the intro. For example, excerpt from a paragraph or so later:
Maybe I will change it though.
There's a comic series out this year called Seven to Eternity, and its first issue does something similar to what you've done: drop a lot of info. The thing is, it was completely unnecessary.

I imagine your story is in the same boat.

I don't know why more people didn't imitate this after World War Z came out, with things like superheroes and supernatural creatures etc. Maybe they did and I missed it, but I loved the whole concept and WWZ is one of my favorite books, the audio book is really great too.

I think it was released before amazon started kdp and as such missed the major copycat movements. It's also a difficult form to pull off in a decent manner, I think. WWZ was kind of an exception in both that and how human it is. I haven't read it more than once (I don't reread books, i don't have to due to good memory. I should for the language though) and I can still recall a lot of its phrasing directly, whereas normally that would be only images and major story events.

I meant how does he not know what it's about after he's just written it? That makes no sense to me.

oh. Whoops.
I suppose it's an idea more than an execution. Writing something is still better than not writing.

Jintor

well i know it's about superheroes but i don't know what the event was or what happened or whatever.

i'm pretty good at scene writing but i'm gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarbage at an overall thingy

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Got a flash piece published the January issue of Hippocampus Magazine - they're a great online publication for anyone looking to do creative non-fiction, literary essays, or memoirs if anyone is interested in those areas.

Rhythm

DD

I have a feeling that one day sirap might take Ryoki Inoue's place on the Guiness Book as the world's most prolific writer, lol.

Close! But you can't pass into the panic stage until you finish the polish stage which then leads to the excitement stage followed by the despair level. :D

Haha, alright, alright...

Delio

Back to back posting, but it's time, so let's go~

Writing OT's New Year's Resolution Challenge: Commercial Writing

Flex your creative muscles and challenge yourself to approach writing like a career! It's time to set aside your Victorian dinosaur romance masterpiece and write like your dinner depended on it. The goal of this challenge is not to be picked up by Penguin or win a Hugo, but to consistently write and release several short books to be sold over the next three months. If you've ever toyed with the idea of being a writer full-time, now's your opportunity to put that New Year's resolution to write more into practice.

Goal: Consistent completion and release of short books to create a stable of commercial works.*

Details-

• Write and publish 3 novellas (20k-40k each) by April 1, 2017 (*35k is the sweet spot for KU $$$)
  • Release platform Amazon
  • Pricing TBD
  • Genre: Whatever you think will sell.
  • Recycled and refurbished works allowed. (i.e., you can expand on or edit/tidy up an older work to use as one of your books)

Schedule-
  • Book 1: Completed (written, edited, cover done, etc.) and live in the Amazon marketplace by Feb 1.
  • Book 2: Completed (written, edited, cover done, etc.) and live in the Amazon marketplace by Mar 1.
  • Book 3: Completed (written, edited, cover done, etc.) and live in the Amazon marketplace by April 1.
  • Post-April- potential bundling of works/further discussion of follow-up sales strategies

Checklist-
  • Amazon author account
  • silly pen name
  • Framed picture of Stephen King or Brandon Sanderson to hang above your computer
  • Coffee mug and/or hip flask

*Disclaimer: No one is likely to achieve fame or fortune during this challenge. Anyone who does earn more than $4 will be required to take a picture of themselves with their sales earnings for the 'Board of Riches' I'm going to make.

Resources/Info:

Amazon Author Central: You can have up to 3 pen names on Author Central. Once you have a work published, search the work through Author Central and then claim it. You'll be prompted to add the new pen name to your dashboard. Once you verify that it is, they will set up a separate page for that pen name. After that, a drop down menu, at the right top of the screen, will show all your pen names.

Soulfire's Self-Publishing Numbers for 2016 <--A detailed look into the self-publishing gig from one of our own.

- Formatting: Free Template, Draft2Digital (free formatting), Mark Cokers formatting guide for Smashwords

- Covers: DIY & Paid cover resources:

Sales Tracking: (courtesy of sirap)
Get Book Report - https://www.getbookreport.com/

Early Marketing:

- Twitter Account: You might want to consider starting a twitter account for your pen name now so that you can cultivate a few followers in the weeks leading up to tell about your shorts when they release. Not necessary, of course, but it's free marketing and could benefit your sales. If you do start one, let me know and I'll put a * next to your name. No need to reveal what it is, but this will be a good way to see how much of an impact a little marketing does for this.

Tip from other self-published authors:

1) Do not upload on Friday nights (to Amazon)
2) Titles really need to be eye-catching for the genre
3) Nail your keywords
4) Blurbs need to be focused and tight

Participants:
Cyan

Oh right im supposed to be doing this >_>. Put me down. I'm kinda in the mood ( thanks to Star Wars) for a Space adventure type thing.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Hoping this doesn't get lost in the thread. So I write a bunch of short stories, and I like to try and write more and more consistently. The writing challenge threads are such a constant source of inspiration and motivation. Anyways, I like to do a tally of stories I've written for the year, and this year I wrote 57ish short stories along with other major projects. While I didn't have any luck getting published last year, I take a little joy in knowing I was at least productive.

15823451_10208409650618214_7395790661845599713_n.jpg

15825791_10208409650578213_4165784769495539563_n.jpg

Flex your creative muscles and challenge yourself to approach writing like a career! It's time to set aside your Victorian dinosaur romance masterpiece and write like your dinner depended on it.

You know you have a good idea when you mention it in a single post and people still remember it. Thanks for the reminder HPro, guess you can count me in. Going to try and finish the epic erotic trilogy this time.

Got a flash piece published the January issue of Hippocampus Magazine - they're a great online publication for anyone looking to do creative non-fiction, literary essays, or memoirs if anyone is interested in those areas.

Rhythm

Congrats Bork Bork. Not gonna lie, more than a little jealous of your string of recent success :p

Soulfire

That's amazing, Soulfire. Really. Thanks for posting the details! Very interesting stuff to see it laid out. I saw in the parenting thread that you're expecting soon (now I understand why it'll be super hard to keep any kind of pace), but feel free to join the challenge at your own pace if you like. Would love to pick your brain more on publishing, regardless.

Thanks, whatever questions you have I'll try to answer or at least tell you what I've found out.
I've got about 15k written on a cozy mystery idea, none of it really linear, so I'm going to use those words toward the challenge. Since he's NEVER GOING TO GET OUT I might be able to finish the first one before he's born. We'll see. I really think he's going to wait until the Switch announcement just to spite me and my husband, though I have no idea what I've done to this kid to deserve that kind of treatment.
I've got a book cover made, a book title, and a series title so we'll see what happens. I've done good these last two days writing wise, but maybe it's my weird way of nesting. We can only hope.

zulux21

I was wondering, anyone here know European geography well?

based strictly on the land and not how people have built things up, is there any good place that could easily be a successful farm where the temps would remain fairly consistent (not getting super hot or cold) and a few days walk away would line up well to be a trade/entertainment hub if borders didn't exist?

I was thinking florence italy might be a decent place to start with... some place to the east or west would likely make for decent farm land.

while something like munich genermany might fit for a trade hub.

it might be a bit far for a few day trip by foot though.... so somewhere likely a bit south of munich.

I am trying to figure out where my world fits in our world... so the actual cities are meaningless, but for the most part land masses are the same as our world.

I don't even know what I would write a novella about... :|

Seriously, I'm having a complete blank right now. I think I get locked into 'this idea needs to be this idea and nothing else' too much as part of procrastinating on it.
And I don't really know how to get past that.

Would a non-fiction entry in the 10-15k range be permissible?

Sure! I welcome all to come along for the ride. Don't mind having shorter test cases at all, either, but I should mention that after the KU payout set up changed, anything sub-20k struggles to make money bc of the royalties per page read thing unless you get serious traction. As I mentioned in the disclaimer, though, making money during this challenge will be a challenge in itself, so it's not really the goal. Therefore, go for it! I'm excited to see what comes out of your brain lock.

Sorry to bomb this thread in the midst of a writing contest; if I am being intrusive, carry on and ignore this post.

Don't be. This is the Writing thread. The challenge is just another thing, not the whole thing. :)

Oh right im supposed to be doing this >_>. Put me down. I'm kinda in the mood ( thanks to Star Wars) for a Space adventure type thing.

There's no escape now...

You know you have a good idea when you mention it in a single post and people still remember it. Thanks for the reminder HPro, guess you can count me in. Going to try and finish the epic erotic trilogy this time.

It really has stuck in my head. I think it's hilarious and would love to see you finish it as a part of this challenge. Also, I meant to mention it when you wrote about it before, but that "What happens when something holy rots?" really, really resonated. Tell me you're seriously working on that. That's a spectacular summary.

Thanks, whatever questions you have I'll try to answer or at least tell you what I've found out.
I've got about 15k written on a cozy mystery idea, none of it really linear, so I'm going to use those words toward the challenge. Since he's NEVER GOING TO GET OUT I might be able to finish the first one before he's born. We'll see. I really think he's going to wait until the Switch announcement just to spite me and my husband, though I have no idea what I've done to this kid to deserve that kind of treatment.
I've got a book cover made, a book title, and a series title so we'll see what happens. I've done good these last two days writing wise, but maybe it's my weird way of nesting. We can only hope.

Yay! You sound way ahead of the game already, so perfect, and it's an excellent way to put those nesting urges to work. An impending birth is a very motivating deadline, indeed. :) Not sure if I should wish you the pop or the cork, though. Cork for the challenge or pop for the Switch. I just remember how bad I wanted the damn thing out by 8 months, so good luck, either way!

And last but not least:

Rhythm

Congrats, Bork! You're on a roll lately!

based strictly on the land and not how people have built things up, is there any good place that could easily be a successful farm where the temps would remain fairly consistent (not getting super hot or cold) and a few days walk away would line up well to be a trade/entertainment hub if borders didn't exist?

I was thinking florence italy might be a decent place to start with... some place to the east or west would likely make for decent farm land.

it might be a bit far for a few day trip by foot though.... so somewhere likely a bit south of munich.

I am trying to figure out where my world fits in our world... so the actual cities are meaningless, but for the most part land masses are the same as our world.

South of France? I imagine that is quite nice.

The way I see those books are that they're good guidelines to get you started. They give you the basic outlines, beats, and conventions to get you started, but any good writer evolves past that. If you've already taken courses or year intensives in writing/screenwriting/etc you're unlikely to learn anything new that you haven't already learned. I won the Save the Cat book in a screenwriting contest. I flipped through it, but it basically just reiterated everything I already knew from my year intensive in film school.

Soulfire

I like to read writing books but eventually you get to a point where they're all saying the same thing and you already know what works or doesn't work for you. I liked Write.Publish.Repeat. by Sean Platt and Johnny B. Truant I also liked Chuck Wendigs writing book because it really inspired me to put it down and write, can't remember the name right now.

mu cephei

Writing OT's New Year's Resolution Challenge: Commercial Writing

Thanks for doing this! I'm in, I need to get going with it.

Hoping this doesn't get lost in the thread. So I write a bunch of short stories, and I like to try and write more and more consistently. The writing challenge threads are such a constant source of inspiration and motivation. Anyways, I like to do a tally of stories I've written for the year, and this year I wrote 57ish short stories along with other major projects. While I didn't have any luck getting published last year, I take a little joy in knowing I was at least productive.

big list of work

That's more than one a week, woah. I think my imagination has expired from just one a fortnight. Yeah, my aim this year is to write more consistently. And the writing challenges are great, more people should take part in them!

So of course it's Jan 3rd and I haven't even started this challenge yet. And as I was thinking about it today, it struck me that I could combine a different idea I had for a scifi novel with this notion of a fantasy adventure thing and maybe go with a bit of a Star Wars-y kind of thing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Congrats Bork Bork. Not gonna lie, more than a little jealous of your string of recent success :p

I think I have it a bit easier than most because I know my niche and I have no interest or aptitude on the business/marketing side of writing. I really admire all the people in this thread who are writing long works, generating huge amounts of material, or getting good sales. I just did a word count on all the stuff I worked on last year, and I think I had maybe around 15,000 words. I also only got paid for exactly one piece, which is still owing.

Anyone find any of those How to Write books etc actually useful? I have my eye on Save the Cat and Story Engineering.

But I'm also getting pretty wary about getting trapped in an endless cycle of looking up 'how to write' guides taking up all my writing time

I constantly get recommendations on Stephen King's On Writing and Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. They seem solid. I personally love Le Guin's craft book, even though I haven't done any of the prompts (I hate writing prompts). A quote:
”To make something well is to give yourself to it, to seek wholeness, to follow spirit. To learn to make something well can take your whole life. It's worth it."

Look for craft books that help you in different ways. Cherrypick the stuff that works for you and ignore the rest. The more you write the more you will know your strengths and the things you need to shore up. The most important thing is that you want to get better. I like Ira Glass' advice on this:

”Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it's just not that good. It's trying to be good, it has potential, but it's not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn't have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I've ever met. It's gonna take awhile. It's normal to take awhile. You've just gotta fight your way through."

OK, I'm down for the challenge.

No computer really stinks right now, but I found a way to make this manageable for me. I found an old story I wrote for NaNoWriMo a few years back and started re-reading it. Very simple, slice-of-life kind of thing, but it doesn't work as a novel; it would work in a shorter serial fashion, I think. Obviously a lot of work to still be done on it, but in the interest of wanting to actually finish something (and not wanting something to just sit in my Google Drive for another three years before I look at it), I'm going to re-purpose this for the challenge. Hoping I can pick up a laptop this weekend and go to town on re-writing.

zulux21

So of course it's Jan 3rd and I haven't even started this challenge yet.

I thought about doing it... and then started a different more personal challenge instead.

my wife wants to draw something comic wise, and I kind of want to see how decent of a kids show like story I can make, so I started working on that.

I then decided it would be easier to kill two birds with one stone, and shifted the ideas I had into the main fantasy world I am working on, and am also using it to world build my main story even though the kids show is set on the other side of the world and doesn't know of the main story at all :p (my main story would likely be considered pg-13)

so far I have some fun characters, but no plot ideas *shrugs* I will have to sit down and write the characters interacting at some point and see what they do lol.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I like Ira Glass' advice on this:

That quote really hit home for me and a lot of my inner thoughts. I've been feeling like with all that I've written, I should be much better than I am right now, but it's good to remember you really need a lot of practice to get good, and I do feel like I've made at least some strides recently. I'm really hoping with this latest batch of short stories I've been editing, they are actually "winners."

Jintor

By the way, I still don't know if fictionalised oral histories are any good for actual stories as such, but they're really fun just for general worldbuilding.

It's so much more entertaining to create a world by being told it by an actual character. Also you get to practice character voices (and to see how similar your own voices can be to one another)

I guess it's a matter of perspective. The numbers he's pulling would've left me slack-jawed three years ago. Now? I'd be panicking if my royalties dropped that low. The craziest thing is that I'm not even considered a top-earner. There are literally hundreds of "middlers" like me struggling to break into the ranks of seven-figure juggernauts like Bella Frost.

Do you mind sharing your 2016 revenue numbers and how many books it is spread across? And what's your word count look like yearly?

Scirrocco

I constantly get recommendations on Stephen King's On Writing and Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. They seem solid. I personally love Le Guin's craft book, even though I haven't done any of the prompts (I hate writing prompts). A quote:

Look for craft books that help you in different ways. Cherrypick the stuff that works for you and ignore the rest. The more you write the more you will know your strengths and the things you need to shore up. The most important thing is that you want to get better. I like Ira Glass' advice on this:

Which of those books particularly good on the subject of the nuts and bolts of writing? Like just knowing what to write and what to focus on in a scene, almost on a sentence to sentence level?

I've been trying to get back into writing as a creative outlet, but after an abysmal NaNoWriMo, have come to realize I just never know what my next sentence should be. like the scene is pretty clear in my head, but when I go to put it on paper, I'm never sure what details to choose to include , or get overwhelmed trying to cram everything in at once. I just don't know how to distill it all, and end up getting stuck no where. So if you have any suggestions for a book on the more nuts and bolts aspect of writing, I'd greatly appreciate some recommendations.

Which of those books particularly good on the subject of the nuts and bolts of writing? Like just knowing what to write and what to focus on in a scene, almost on a sentence to sentence level?

I've been trying to get back into writing as a creative outlet, but after an abysmal NaNoWriMo, have come to realize I just never know what my next sentence should be. like the scene is pretty clear in my head, but when I go to put it on paper, I'm never sure what details to choose to include , or get overwhelmed trying to cram everything in at once. I just don't know how to distill it all, and end up getting stuck no where. So if you have any suggestions for a book on the more nuts and bolts aspect of writing, I'd greatly appreciate some recommendations.

Stephen King's is certainly not that. It is more about the vibe of the thing.

Sibylus

Banned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Köppen_climate_classification

This will give you precisely what you need.

Top Bottom