• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

The new video player controls in Safari on iPhone:

UsWz5mf_d.jpg

And for those saying there isn’t a volume graphic shown when you turn the volume up or down, check out the upper right corner:

Edit: Landscape

cjp

There is a newcole HUD according to some people posting on the MacRumors' forums.

Edit: beateeeeeen

img_4175-png.702333

Guess Who

Banned
AMD has posted some specs for the new Radeon Pros to their website:

http://creators.radeon.com/radeon-pro/

Key points:

- The Radeon Pro 555 and 560 are nearly identical to the 455 and 460. 560 goes from "1.86" teraflops to "1.9" teraflops, which is probably just a minor clock speed bump.

- The Radeon Pro 580 is essentially a downclocked Radeon RX 580. Same stream processors/compute units, slightly lower performance - 5.5 versus 6.2 teraflops.

- The Radeon Pro 575, similarly, is a downclocked 570.

- The Radeon Pro 570's core configuration doesn't match any existing part that I know of.

The update is great for iPad. The switcher makes a ton of sense. It's a lot lot better than what we had before. It's a little sluggish like you'd expect on my 9.7 Pro but I'm happy with the direction.

I'm getting a lot of accidental numbers and symbols in my text with this new keyboard though. It's falsely detecting swipes and inserting the wrong key. Needs refinement. For now I've just disabled key flicks in options.

AMD has posted some specs for the new Radeon Pros to their website:

http://creators.radeon.com/radeon-pro/

Key points:

- The Radeon Pro 555 and 560 are nearly identical to the 455 and 460. 560 goes from "1.86" teraflops to "1.9" teraflops, which is probably just a minor clock speed bump.

- The Radeon Pro 580 is essentially a downclocked Radeon RX 580. Same stream processors/compute units, slightly lower performance - 5.5 versus 6.2 teraflops.

- The Radeon Pro 575, similarly, is a downclocked 570.

- The Radeon Pro 570's core configuration doesn't match any existing part that I know of.

Out of curiosity, how do those new graphic cards compare to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB?

Kraftwerk

So as someone who is in the market for a new MacBook Pro to replace my old MacBook Pro, and outlet uses it for photo editing, Netflix and browsing the web; is the new iPad Pro a better option?

I bike everywhere so something with that form factor and power is very tempting.

Guess Who

Banned
Out of curiosity, how do those new graphic cards compare to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB?

The 570, 575, and 580 would all be upgrades ranging from 2-3x the performance and 2x (on the 570 and 575) to 4x (on the 580) as much VRAM.

So as someone who is in the market for a new MacBook Pro to replace my old MacBook Pro, and outlet uses it for photo editing, Netflix and browsing the web; is the new iPad Pro a better option?

I bike everywhere so something with that form factor and power is very tempting.

Depends on whether iPad photo editing apps like Pixelmator or Lightroom Mobile are enough to meet your needs.

I really hope MusicKit allows the Amazon Echo Devs to take advantage of Apple Music integration. Im not in the market for another speaker, but I would like AM integration from my echo dot which is connected to my soundbar system.

I know essentially nothing about AMD cards, what's the rough comparison in Nvidia's line?

Coopting this as well, but is there a site out there that lets me input my current Mac specs and compares it to current models so I can say "well, I'd get a CPU increase of 1.4x and a GPU increase of 1.8x" or something easy to comprehend/digest?

Guess Who

Banned
I know essentially nothing about AMD cards, what's the rough comparison in Nvidia's line?

The Radeon Pro 580 is roughly equal to a 1060 6GB model, if that's a useful reference. The 575 is probably somewhere between a 1050 Ti and a 1060 3GB, the 570 is somewhere near a 1050 Ti, and the 560 is roughly a little under a 1050.

I downloaded iOS11 on my iPhone, AMA

The Radeon Pro 580 is roughly equal to a 1060 6GB model, if that's a useful reference. The 575 is probably somewhere between a 1050 Ti and a 1060 3GB, the 570 is somewhere near a 1050 Ti, and the 560 is roughly a little under a 1050.

Thank you

What's the best way to get iOS11 DP1 onto my iPad Pro? What's the latest method these days – do I have to sign up at one of those "Buy a developer certificate for $5" kinda sites?

Guess Who

Banned
It seems more obvious now why the iPad mini is falling out of favor at Apple. The iPad mini came out when Apple's idea of the iPad's competition was the Kindle and the Galaxy Tab. Now their ambition with the iPad is to take on the $400-$1000 laptop market, and an 8" display just isn't cutting it - especially with iPhones getting so much larger at the same time.

Using the iOS 11 beta on an iPad mini 4, you can really tell that the new features weren't designed for it. Split screen was always cramped, but now you can have a dozen icons on your dock, and on an iPad mini, they are absolutely tiny, especially in portrait.

And the AMD Pro Vega in the iMac Pro, is that good for games or is that supposed to be a workstation GPU like the current Mac Pro FirePro?

jacobs34

I'm really interested to see how much faster Safari is in High Sierra. I'm still primarily using Chrome for day-to-day tasks, I wonder if I'll notice the bump in speed.

Guess Who

Banned
And the AMD Pro Vega in the iMac Pro, is that good for games or is that supposed to be a workstation GPU like the current Mac Pro FirePro?

The thing about the Mac Pro FirePros - and the new Radeon Pros - is that under Windows, they actually use consumer GPU drivers, not workstation drivers. That means they work like gaming cards in Boot Camp, essentially. I expect Vega to be the same way.

Apple is advertising 11 teraflops of performance from the Vega, which would put it in 1080 to 1080 Ti territory.

Any sign of video rotation? I keep my phone portrait locked at all times and I hate unlocking it just for videos

I was just gonna ask about this, it's amazing that it's still like this. Just add some kind of button on the video player that makes a video on Safari go into landscape mode so I don't have to turn off the rotation lock and then turn it back on when I'm done watching the video.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
"Redesigned Inverted Colors" I guess this is dark mode now? Inverted UI items but images remain normal. Works for me!

jts

...hate me...
"Portuguese and English bilingual dictionary". Sensational news for me.

Add in Finnish and there's all my used languages :D

The thing about the Mac Pro FirePros - and the new Radeon Pros - is that under Windows, they actually use consumer GPU drivers, not workstation drivers. That means they work like gaming cards in Boot Camp, essentially. I expect Vega to be the same way.

Apple is advertising 11 teraflops of performance from the Vega, which would put it in 1080 to 1080 Ti territory.

Yep, hopefully Vega is a performer but we'll see relatively soon.

580 is approximately GTX 1060 performance as you said - I wonder if Nvidia will counter this by releasing 11xx (or 2xxx) series cards. I'm also surprised that Apple still has yet to put in Nvidia GPUs in their products, the last being the late 2013/mid 2014 15" MBP.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Typing for Siri will make development for it SOOOOOoooo much more bearable. If you ever felt dumb having to repeat some command that was mis-heard, imagine having to repeat it dozens of times while you're debugging something.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm a noob. Is this...safe?

Like, can I revert back?

you can revert back BUT, typically, backups made on newer OS cannot be used on an older OS. That means you might not be able to restore a lot of data on your phone that you received while using the beta...

Top Bottom