• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Majine

Banned
DBlWS6qUAAAdV7Z.jpg

This will be changed before launch, I hope. That's a huge chunk of wasted space and looks incredibly stupid under the settings and huge bolded font

I don't think so. They went through it with the developers on how they can implement it too in a session after the keynote.

This is the new look. The idea is to make it more clear where you are.

bionic77

Yeah this is still baffling as why they still use 5200 rpm laptop hard drives in their iMacs. Yes I know you can upgrade to a different model but the base model on both the regular 21.5 and 4K 21.5 still use it.
I thought fusion was standard now?

Definitely agree that it was absurd to even stick a slow HD into those older iMacs. I always went with fusion or SSD.

Lo-Volt

I didn't even notice but the "old" 13-inch MacBook Pro was pulled from the lineup as part of this refresh (the old 15-inches survives for now). Goodbye, old friend.

Miyahon

Definitely agree that it was absurd to even stick a slow HD into those older iMacs. I always went with fusion or SSD.

Two of the 21.5 iMac models use a 5200 rpm hard drive.

They even neutered the Fusion Drive where it use to have 128 GB of flash memory but they reduced it to 24 GB for the 1 TB version for the last model of iMacs. Looks like they increased it to 32 GB in the recent model iMacs now.

soldat7

Is there some clever way to terminate multiple apps at once? I thought the previous implementation of multi-finger swipe up was elegant...

hirokazu

Do you have the older Fusion Macs with 128GB flash or the newer ones where Fusion was reduced to just 24GB? I'm curious how well these new ones work.

I wanted to hold out until Apple just went SSD on all their offerings, but unfortunately my MBP croaked so that's not an option. The Mac lineup is expensive as is, adding a decent SSD is probably out of my price range. :/

Still works for me, can even triple swipe up.
Oh, does swipe up still work on iPad? For some reason I instinctively tried to swipe left like I was dealing with Safari tabs, since it looks kinda similar now.

GAF need your help, not sure if i am alone facing this issue. So whenever i connect a bluetooth headphone, the volume gets all messed up all by itself. So I connect the BT headphone to iphone 7 and it immediately gives me a ringer volume notification and shows me that it's lowered the ringer volume level(without my input). This happens even when my phone is locked and when i seeing notifications via lock screen with a bluetooth headset connected.

hirokazu

GAF need your help, not sure if i am alone facing this issue. So whenever i connect a bluetooth headphone, the volume gets all messed up all by itself. So I connect the BT headphone to iphone 7 and it immediately gives me a ringer volume notification and shows me that it's lowered the ringer volume level(without my input). This happens even when my phone is locked and when i seeing notifications via lock screen with a bluetooth headset connected.
Is this on the iOS 11 beta, or on iOS 10?

If on 11 beta, maybe a bug, wait for it to be fixed. If on 10, seems like a bug or malfunction with your headphones or the phone causing it to think the volume buttons are being pressed. Try restarting both the phone and the headphones, and also a different pair of headphones with the phone, or the headphones with a different device, to try narrow down the problem.

ducksauce

No News app in High Sierra? :(

I really don't understand why this is taking so long. Its one of those long hanging fruit things that I just knew would be announced today. It's to the point now where I'm starting to think they don't have any plans to add it to the Mac.

But I kind of feel the same way about no HomeKit support on Mac. What's taking so long?

Is this on the iOS 11 beta, or on iOS 10?

If on 11 beta, maybe a bug, wait for it to be fixed. If on 10, seems like a bug or malfunction with your headphones or the phone causing it to think the volume buttons are being pressed. Try restarting both the phone and the headphones, and also a different pair of headphones with the phone, or the headphones with a different device, to try narrow down the problem.

It's whatever is the latest version of ioS10 that's available on iphone7. I have tried with two different headphones, and it always happen. The phone would keep showing me a ringer volume notification and it would not be at the level where it's always been before.

VeeP

I really don't understand why this is taking so long. Its one of those long hanging fruit things that I just knew would be announced today. It's to the point now where I'm starting to think they don't have any plans to add it to the Mac.

But I kind of feel the same way about no HomeKit support on Mac. What's taking so long?

It's really dumb. I feel like macOS is an afterthought at this point.

LordOfChaos

Is there some clever way to terminate multiple apps at once? I thought the previous implementation of multi-finger swipe up was elegant...

I'm not sure, but I do wonder, why? I only terminate an app if it's misbehaving and I need to clear its memory to relaunch it without a bug, apart from that letting iOS handle what stays and goes from RAM is actually more energy efficient than manually killing things because you think you should.

LordOfChaos

Yeah this is still baffling as why they still use 5200 rpm laptop hard drives in their iMacs. Yes I know you can upgrade to a different model but the base model on both the regular 21.5 and 4K 21.5 still use it.

My sister bought the 27 inch one right before Retina with a spinny disk. 4GHz boost, lots of RAM, and it feels...Slow. Slower than a Core 2 Duo mac with an SSD, even a SATA II limited SSD.

Do not buy a 1K+ computer without an SSD, unless you plan on installing your own, people :p

Heck, don't buy anything over 500 with a spinny disk really, it's a horrible experience in 2017 with software bloat.

It's also a PITA to upgrade the internal drive, might just get a USB SSD and use the internal as a backup or something.

hirokazu

It's been an afterthought for a long time. I thought they'd do an about-face after the complaints about the state of Mac hardware forced them to reconsider the Mac, but if anything's in store, at least for hardware, we're not about to see it anytime soon.

Software? Looks like nothing's changing on that front.

hirokazu

My sister bought the 27 inch one right before Retina with a spinny disk. 4GHz boost, lots of RAM, and it feels...Slow. Slower than a Core 2 Duo mac with an SSD, even a SATA II limited SSD.

Do not buy a 1K+ computer without an SSD, unless you plan on installing your own, people :p

Heck, don't buy anything over 500 with a spinny disk really, it's a horrible experience in 2017 with software bloat.

It's also a PITA to upgrade the internal drive, might just get a USB SSD and use the internal as a backup or something.
Yeah, if I didn't care about macOS and integration with my other devices, I'd just say Apple can fuck right off at this point.

Apple TV remote in the control center is the best

Edit: have they not put up the Platforms State of the Union to watch yet? I can’t find it in any WWDC app

MercuryLS3

SSD should be standard on all imac. U don't understand why they're dragging their feet on that.

DJKhaled

My BTO macbook pro that I bought last Wednesday hasn't shipped. I want to ring and ask to get the newer model but my girlfriend bought it for me in her name. Would I be able to do it? Or will it have to be her? She has phone anxiety and won't ring because she's nervous.

Water

iMac Pro and eGPU? The Mac Pro is still coming next year if you need more.
eGPU support doesn't even have a quarter announced. It's a nice option for laptops that are too small to have the performance built in, but not exactly a high end solution. Thunderbolt 3 throttles a high end GPU very hard. And Apple sells no reasonable desktops to pair with an eGPU enclosure.

iMac Pro is supposed to come in December, so even if you were willing to ignore the garbage value and form factor, that's one more half of a year with Apple offering absolutely nothing. And the value is truly garbage. It's not a reasonable proposition for normal dev work.

Jeffrey

catching up on the conference, when did apple start trying to market their stuff as 'value' buys? ala "with all these features, you'd expect to pay this much, but noo... its only this much!'

no one is falling for that lol.

Kinda wish the ipad launched in the same period as iphone to line up with the software cycle. Huge cocktease with all these huge changes to ipad with ios11 and you can't really use until fall.

Any impressions on the ipad ios 11 beta? is it stable enough for daily usage?

Guess Who

Banned

They're pivoting the Mac towards workstation and pro use and turning their "consumer laptop" market toward the iPad. Basically every major feature announced for the Mac today was to benefit professional and developer use (HEVC for film editing, Metal 2 and external GPUs for motion graphics and game development, Photos improvements to interoperate better with Photoshop and other editors, APFS for safer and faster file operations, etc). Demand for a News app on the Mac is probably very low.

hirokazu

My BTO macbook pro that I bought last Wednesday hasn't shipped. I want to ring and ask to get the newer model but my girlfriend bought it for me in her name. Would I be able to do it? Or will it have to be her? She has phone anxiety and won't ring because she's nervous.
If she bought it online, she can just cancel the order online and then order the new one.

catching up on the conference, when did apple start trying to market their stuff as 'value' buys? ala "with all these features, you'd expect to pay this much, but noo... its only this much!'

Kinda wish the ipad launched in the same period as iphone to line up with the software cycle. Huge cocktease with all these huge changes to ipad with ios11 and you can't really use until fall.
It's ridiculous that they're advertising the new iPad Pros with iOS 11 right now, when you'd have to wait out another three months without any of the features they're highlighting.

Jeffrey

wonder if the 10.5" will have 4gb of ram or 2?

Is there no other hardware changes? Are the ipads not getting the haptic home buttons like the iphone?

wonder if the 10.5" will have 4gb of ram or 2?

Is there no other hardware changes? Are the ipads not getting the haptic home buttons like the iphone?

Given the AR capabilities on both models is the same I assume they both have 4. Would be insane if they didn’t

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If the iPad Pros were just a hair cheaper/came with a keyboard cover they would be potentially great general laptop replacements. They are a hair too expensive though for this.

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH APPLECARE ABOUT THE NEW APPLECARE+ FOR MACS

(Guess Who this is for you)

If you:

a) bought your Mac within the last year and did not get AppleCare on it, you are still eligible to purchase the old plan that does not include accidental damage as if nothing has changed

b) bought your Mac within the last 60 days (April 7 is the strict cutoff) you are eligible to either upgrade your plan to the AC+ version (I didn't ask if it was automatic, sorry, but it didn't sound like it), or buy AC+ if you didn't already. There is no non-Plus AppleCare for you to purchase

c) bought your Mac before April 7th and got AppleCare there is no upgrade path as you are out of the 60 days. Your regular AC still applies but there is no way to add accidental damage

I'm in camp C, unfortunately

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Their things honestly sometimes are 'value' buys, but typically because the competition has also set extremely high prices for similar items. I'd use Apple Watch as an example - I'm fully aware that Apple must have large margins on the stainless steel watch - but if you look just how expensive are the watches from established luxury brands that are finished and crafted to that level of precision and that use those kinds of materials (super-finely polished steel, ceramics, sapphire glass), Apple comes across as positively inexpensive in comparison.

bionic77

Do you have the older Fusion Macs with 128GB flash or the newer ones where Fusion was reduced to just 24GB? I'm curious how well these new ones work.

I wanted to hold out until Apple just went SSD on all their offerings, but unfortunately my MBP croaked so that's not an option. The Mac lineup is expensive as is, adding a decent SSD is probably out of my price range. :/

Oh, does swipe up still work on iPad? For some reason I instinctively tried to swipe left like I was dealing with Safari tabs, since it looks kinda similar now.
I had both.

I had the 128 gb of flash on my 2014 iMac. It died a few months ago and Apple gave me a new model with the lower flash onboard and I can't really tell a diffference. The computer in general feels snappier.

A better than my subjective experience would be a speed test but my eye test says it pretty fast.

hirokazu

I had both.

I had the 128 gb of flash on my 2014 iMac. It died a few months ago and Apple gave me a new model with the lower flash onboard and I can't really tell a diffference. The computer in general feels snappier.

A better than my subjective experience would be a speed test but my eye test says it pretty fast.
Thanks. I'm more concerned about every day use compared to an SSD, since proper speed tests don't really tell you that experience. Good to hear it's generally okay. What sort of cases, if any, do you notice things take longer than it might otherwise with an SSD?

I'd been using an SSD on my now broken MacBook Pro and I don't want it to feel like a downgrade if I do choose an iMac over another MacBook Pro.

Two Words

I'm surprised they didn't say a peep about extending Touch Bar usability. Maybe Touch Bar isn't getting the kind of love they were hoping and are trying to distance themselves from it.

Top Bottom