• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

LordOfChaos

Is the 120Hz display fully adaptive like Gsync/Freesync, or is it only at fixed rates, 120, 60, 48, etc?

Their last one only did 30 or 60.

.. So I just looked it up also, and it looks like this L2 cache has increased from 3 MB to 8 MB - this difference seems quite extreme? I read briefly about the topic, and apparently it is highly essential to performance, due to CPU speeds having developed faster than memory access speeds - sound like this boost could have quite dramatic implications for performance?

Yeah, even accounting for the third high-low core pair it's 1.5MB a core to 2.6MB. Probably part of what allows that per-thread performance gain without hitting more battery life. And with all 3 cores performance also doubles, 30% by Apple was very conservative.

They're also sharing L2 with the GPU I think, helps there too.

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/3042613?baseline=3036382

A9X vs A10X.

Btw the iPhones have an L3 cache as well, 4MB L3, 3MB L2, so the A10 in the iPhone 7 was already at a staggering 7MB for a phone. If you look at big desktop CPU cores we're not incomparable anymore (at lower clocks of course).

Ambitious

I used the Gmail app until I finally properly used Google Inbox, never want to use anything else again, it's perfect.

I tried it, but didn't really like it. I can't remember what I disliked about it, though. Might have to give it another try.

Asked this in the tablet thread;

Do you think the new file system for Ipad Pro is a game changer in terms of it being more of a "real computer"?

I'm still on the fence on if it's better to get a dedicated windows pc with touch. You got photoshop, illustrator, indesign and the other programs right there.

Yes, this filesystem and the way it syncs with every cloud application including Adobe CC sounds good, but I need to quickly be able to have a file open (in say illustrator) and then draw on it on the Ipad, and then save it, quickly back to illustrator on my main computer.

I want it to be an effective tablet for drawing for productivity. but the suite of drawing applications doesn't really seem to meet my needs. I need it for logos, outlining type, making circles and that sort of thing.

The 12'' Ipad looks more impressive than ever. And I like the idea that they are working towards for universal synergy.

Do you think the new file system for Ipad Pro is a game changer in terms of it being more of a "real computer"?

I'm still on the fence on if it's better to get a dedicated windows pc with touch. You got photoshop, illustrator, indesign and the other programs right there.

Yes, this filesystem and the way it syncs with every cloud application including Adobe CC sounds good, but I need to quickly be able to have a file open (in say illustrator) and then draw on it on the Ipad, and then save it, quickly back to illustrator on my main computer.

I want it to be an effective tablet for drawing for productivity. but the suite of drawing applications doesn't really seem to meet my needs. I need it for logos, outlining type, making circles and that sort of thing.

The 12'' Ipad looks more impressive than ever. And I like the idea that they are working towards for universal synergy.

Doesn't iCloud and Dropbox do local LAN syncing?

AndTAR

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/3042613?baseline=3036382

A9X vs A10X.

Btw the iPhones have an L3 cache as well, 4MB L3, 3MB L2, so the A10 in the iPhone 7 was already at a staggering 7MB for a phone. If you look at big desktop CPU cores we're not incomparable anymore (at lower clocks of course).
Yeah, I guess the computation-power side of things really is getting more and more evened-out - quite a striking graph difference there, lol - sort-of waiting for actual new technologies to make use of it. Of course, probably just where AR and VR steps in here, then.

damn it making it harder and harder for me not to upgrade

Yeah - so I'm coming from the iPad Air 2 myself, and I guess this two-generation jump is about relevant. Even when putting aside 120Hz: noticeable screen brightness increase (200 nits up), probably a noticeable UI speed boost after all, and I guess the 16-64 GB storage increase irons out all local storage problems (not that I had too many issues just deleting photos, etc.) I also suspect the screen size increase might actually be a bit more pleasant than it appears.

This is against my laptops 4710HQ. Like, goddamn, if they made a quad out of this it would totally keep up. This is Haswell and a high end part. Crazy.

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/3042292?baseline=3036382
Yeah, I am also seeing my Haswell computer compete against this - though just a 2013 Retina Macbook Pro, dual- and not quad-core. I think it'll be logical to keep it around though, even if I cave in to this thing - a great backup laptop to have, I guess. (Though "they're becoming the furniture", of course - as Mossberg just called it in his last column.)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is the 120Hz display fully adaptive like Gsync/Freesync, or is it only at fixed rates, 120, 60, 48, etc?

Their last one only did 30 or 60.
Not sure yet. It sounded like it could do any rate. They listed that it slows down refresh a lot when showing static images, does 24hz with movie playback.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does the automatic app "offloading" feature at least warn you or ask you first before removing the app? Not that it matters to me since I literally only put apps on my phone I use. But I'd still want to know first. It should have an option to show a "shadow icon" on the home screen after the deletion to show you its been removed that will ask if you want to reinstall when you tap or remove the icon. (And optionally the data)

LordOfChaos

Does the automatic app "offloading" feature at least warn you or ask you first before removing the app? Not that it matters to me since I literally only put apps on my phone I use. But I'd still want to know first. It should have an option to show a "shadow icon" on the home screen after the deletion to show you its been removed that will ask if you want to reinstall when you tap or remove the icon. (And optionally the data)

The deleted apps appear as greyed-out icons on the homescreen, and can be re-installed with a tap.

Great feature imo.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The deleted apps appear as greyed-out icons on the homescreen, and can be re-installed with a tap.

Great feature imo.
Pretty cool.

Cant wait to play with this.

I really like that the new task switcher doesn't include the home screen anymore. I still prefer the old iOS 7 version though.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone showing off macOS High Sierra yet. I know it's another Snow Leopard, but it has to at least have some things worth showing off. I hope when it releases they just spend the next 9 months worth of updates refining it before whatever 10.14 ends up being.

How stable is 11 for iPhone (7+)?

It's been perfectly fine for me but I've heard of at least a few people who seem to have some stability issues.

I’ve had my 7 Plus respring and even do a full reboot several times. Someone said doing a reset of all settings fixes a lot of these issues but I have meticulously set up all my notification settings so I ain’t doing that unless I have no choice

Pretty cool.

Cant wait to play with this.

I really like that the new task switcher doesn't include the home screen anymore. I still prefer the old iOS 7 version though.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone showing off macOS High Sierra yet. I know it's another Snow Leopard, but it has to at least have some things worth showing off. I hope when it releases they just spend the next 9 months worth of updates refining it before whatever 10.14 ends up being.

For High Sierra I've read a lot of comments saying that the OS animations are a lot smoother (using spaces, gestures, etc.) since High Sierra now uses Metal

In my experience, it isn't an adequate replacement for a full computer. I am able to use my first gen 12.9 iPad for some development, but not all. Adobe Comp works great for quickly comping UX/UI screens, for instance. But there is no full version of Photoshop... or really lots of Apps that would be available on a Surface, like Maya, Z-Brush, etc.

There is also Astropad, if you want to try using it as a second screen. It only works with Mac though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Does AirPlay 2 to Apple TV work like Chromecast now or does it still stream directly from the device?
Does it matter? Seems like a largely semantic point either way.
In my experience, it isn't an adequate replacement for a full computer. I am able to use my first gen 12.9 iPad for some development, but not all. Adobe Comp works great for quickly comping UX/UI screens, for instance. But there is no full version of Photoshop... or really lots of Apps that would be available on a Surface, like Maya, Z-Brush, etc.

There is also Astropad, if you want to try using it as a second screen. It only works with Mac though.
I really feel this question needs to be reevaluated with iOS 11. Any answer to this question with iOS 10 and earlier is largely invalidated with the advancements in productivity in the newest release.

Not saying it WILL be a good replacement, but damn if they haven’t made it worth at least reevaluating.

I really feel this question needs to be reevaluated with iOS 11. Any answer to this question with iOS 10 and earlier is largely invalidated with the advancements in productivity in the newest release.

Not saying it WILL be a good replacement, but damn if they haven’t made it worth at least reevaluating.

I agree the the new changes are really exciting and bringing it closer to a full computer, and as an owner of an iPad Pro, I'm definitely looking forward to the new features.

But it still doesn't change the fact that there are productivity programs available on Macbooks and Windows tablets that don't exist on the iPad. I really wish they did, though!

borghe

I agree the the new changes are really exciting and bringing it closer to a full computer, and as an owner of an iPad Pro, I'm definitely looking forward to the new features.

But it still doesn't change the fact that there are productivity programs available on Macbooks and Windows tablets that don't exist on the iPad. I really wish they did, though!

a huge update (that has gone under the radar) is the change in app store policy for apps that effectively create code. really hoping that leads the way for swift playgrounds to eventually lead to a full fledged xcode.

Aiii

So not worth it

Yeah no. Chromecast allows you to send a URL to the device, leaving the device you sent it from free to do whatever and most importantly, not have a battery power draining stream to the Chromecast.

Meanwhile, if you Airplay you have to keep the app that is streaming active, because the second you run out of RAM or leave it on standby for too long, Airplay will just stop doing its thing.

One is a Media player that uses your device a smart remote, the other is a protocol that allows you to stream your screen. Vastly different approaches and way more than simple semantics I'm afraid.

borghe

Yeah no. Chromecast allows you to send a URL to the device, leaving the device you sent it from free to do whatever and most importantly, not have a battery power draining stream to the Chromecast.

Meanwhile, if you Airplay you have to keep the app that is streaming active, because the second you run out of RAM or leave it on standby for too long, Airplay will just stop doing its thing.

One is a Media player that uses your device a smart remote, the other is a protocol that allows you to stream your screen. Vastly different approaches and way more than simple semantics I'm afraid.
My iphone 7 works fine background streaming content. The only time I am locked out of my phone is if I'm Airplaying an app that doesn't support background play. This is why it seemed largely semantic to me. I don't have any issue doing what you describe between my iPhone 7 and ATV4. Similarly anything that supports PiP on iPad works like you are saying also.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My iphone 7 works fine background streaming content. The only time I am locked out of my phone is if I'm Airplaying an app that doesn't support background play. This is why it seemed largely semantic to me. I don't have any issue doing what you describe between my iPhone 7 and ATV4. Similarly anything that supports PiP on iPad works like you are saying also.

It'd also be nice to be able to just send something to the Apple TV to play (for someone to watch) while I continue my own personal video, music, or game.

Aiii

So not worth it

Try airplaying YouTube and then opening Spotify on your iPhone. Or Airplay some music while giving your kid your phone to watch something on Netflix.

cjp

Nice video here showing all of the new multitasking and drag and drop stuff on an iPad Air 2:

https://youtu.be/7qQlOuNd8yw

Glad Apple didn't decide to lock down some of the newer stuff to the devices with more RAM. Looking forward to installing the public beta when it drops. I'll probably leave it off my phone though.

borghe

Try airplaying YouTube and then opening Spotify on your iPhone. Or Airplay some music while giving your kid your phone to watch something on Netflix.

youtube doesn't background play at all on ios...

also... why wouldn't I just listen to music or watch youtube on my apple tv while doing that stuff on my iphone?

I mean I can airplay Netflix and then open safari.. the examples you're giving are all "why can't I do two media things with my phone" to which I ask.. why do two media things with your phone when you literally have a device with mostly the same apps connected directly to your tv?

Aiii

So not worth it
youtube doesn't background play at all on ios...

also... why wouldn't I just listen to music or watch youtube on my apple tv while doing that stuff on my iphone?

I mean I can airplay Netflix and then open safari.. the examples you're giving are all "why can't I do two media things with my phone" to which I ask.. why do two media things with your phone when you literally have a device with mostly the same apps connected directly to your tv?

Because Spotify doesn’t have an Apple TV app. Because you can also have multiple people in one household. And because sometimes Apple TV apps are shit, like the YouTube one.

Just to name a few examples in addition to the ones posted earlier.

Yup.

Not sure how legacy apps are handled - black bars, or stretched sub-native res?

Devs that did the work to make "responsive" app layouts (like apps that support split view already, for instance) don't need to update their apps - they should Just Work (tm).

Damn well I hope most did the work. Worst part about getting a new iPad is waiting the weeks/months for devs to update for new rez

borghe

I mean I guess.. the typical house, especially typical house with an Apple TV, doesn't have one single iOS device. Most often multiple, one for each family member, if not more (ipads)... even a relative's house, with 4 young kids.. I can't think of a time where they'd be "ok we are going to use this ipad to watch something on tv and then have to giev it back to the child to play games".. they'll watch something on one.. or the apple tv.. or one of a dozen devices.. etc. maybe there are just a bunch of households out there where they only have 1 or 2 ios devices, and an apple tv, and want to do that... /shrug

I do agree that airplaying something and then running to youtube or facebook happens to me.. but again, airplay handles that fine. but for me personally.. airplaying video, then playing audio on the phone.. I can't possibly think of why I, or anyone, would do that??

will probably get lost in this, but one awesome thing for iOS 11 is apparently apple eliminated the hardware security chip requirement with HomeKit. Devices still need to support end to end encryption, but are now allowed to handle encryption and authentication through software. So as long as your device is powerful enough to handle the encryption you can submit your device to apple, or (if it's an existing device) submit the software update for your device to apple.

That is awesome!

I'm liking iOS 11 so far.

I'm surprised it took them this long to implement a system to respond to people while you're driving

I forgot how terrible battery life is on the dev previews o_O

borghe

I forgot how terrible battery life is on the dev previews o_O

ya, noticed that also. everything was fully updated over night.. and today I am halfway through my battery with my normal usage.. which would be me maybe at 75%...

guessing public beta will be ~1 month where it should be back closer to normal.

iOS 11 so far is like a SUPER refined, better working, iOS 10. 3D Touch on notifications finally works near flawlessly.. whereas iOS 10 I basically stopped using 3D Touch on notifications. The lock screen and past notifications is a ton better. iMessage plugins are represented better. The flatter icons just look better all around. Control center is like 1000000 times better. etc.

This is basically what everyone was hoping iOS 10 would be at launch.

worth getting a refurb 9.7 pro for €230 less than the 10.5? have an air 2 to sell and take another €240 off the price which is grand, but I'm not sure if I should just go all out 10.5.

I have an air 2 but i want that pencil goodness

ya, noticed that also. everything was fully updated over night.. and today I am halfway through my battery with my normal usage.. which would be me maybe at 75%...

I just restarted and closed the music app, so I've only got the calendar & pebble apps open, and my battery is draining at ~1% every 15 minutes. I'm sure actually using it will drain it more but at least I'm back to reasonable drain for a beta, won't need to plug in today which is nice

I hope AirPlay 2 runs more like Chromecast. I'm a fan of AirPlay but the way Chromecast does it is better but understandable as they came later. Lots of scenarios where you want to send something to the screen to watch for someone else but want to look at something else on your phone and it cuts the playback

Top Bottom