• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

He didn’t seem that tall? I mean I’m a tall guy myself but it wasn’t like ridiculous

Casey gave me an ATP sticker and told me to sell it for a lot of money

Really? Huh. Maybe it's because Merlin Mann is really short, but I always got the idea Siracusa was super tall, like 6'6" or something.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I ordered a 15" MBP the second the store went back online with expedited shipping, and it's still processing. I ordered a watch strap this afternoon and it's already given me a tracking number :(

O.DOGG

I got my iPad Pro 12.9 two months ago and I'm seriously contemplating selling it at a minor loss and getting the latest version. I wonder how much better that new screen is color-wise, as well as when used with the pencil. I don't see any detailed impressions yet.

hirokazu

I'm about to blow your mind here:

1) Find one of the apps you want to split view on your home screen.

2) Press and drag the app's icon. Keep your finger held on it so that it remains in "drag and drop" mode.

3) With your other hand or finger, tap the second app's icon to open it, while still holding the first app's icon.

4) The second app will open, and the first app's icon will remain in "drag and drop" mode. You can now drag the first app into split view.
That's a ridiculous way to split view apps that aren't in the dock.

I've resorted to going to the home screen, opening the second app so that it's at least in the recent apps area on the right side of the dock, and the splitviewing it.

They're obviously going to have to make some changes here. They could just have a swipe up from the app switcher/Control Centre screen to access the copy of the home screen, where you can then drag and drag and app to split view it with the current one.

I’m not one who’s too picky about notifications. I know it’s a sore spot for a lot of people, especially Android switchers, but I generally just go with the flow.

But notifications right now, with the combined lock screen-notification center are NOT working. Some of it is bugs but some of it is baffling design

The notification screen really is baffling, I just pulled it down and then had to swipe up to see my old notifications. There was literally nothing but an empty lockscreen at first. Why would they design it like this?

hirokazu

Looks like they removed Wish Lists from the App Store in iOS 11. I used that feature a lot.

Now I'm sending links to apps I might want to buy from the share sheet to my Notes app, which is less convenient but still something.
I feel like the new App Store is a mistake. Using the Today tab is pleasant and the presentation is very nice, but go to the other tabs and it's an awful experience.

They've surfaced things like rating, chart position and stuff like that better, but at the expense of very basic usability. I mean, you can barely read a sentence of the app description before you have to tap "More" to read the rest! I'm not sure if they've tested it with regular use cases, or they've completely abandoned usability testing.

When I'm looking for or discovering an app, I usually notice the rating before I tap on it for more information. Then I'll usually look at either the screenshots, or read the description or both to get a better understanding of what the app does. I might also look at what sort of in-app purchases the app because I won't bother with it if it has ludicrous IAPs. The old layout had pretty much all this information.

The new app has completely rearranged this info and it looks like they went with style over substance when doing this. I do like that I can see all the IAP options better than before though.

The Updates tab. Again, barely a sentence of the update notes before you have to tap "More" to read the full notes. In a popup. Then you have to dismiss the popup and repeat the same for every single app you want to read update notes for. What. In the old app, you just needed to tap the disclosure arrow and it'd expand it to reveal the full notes, and you could very quickly do that for every available update. It was simple, but it just worked.

Then you have all the missing stuff. Browsing my Purchases was also one of the things I did most in the App Store, since I often purchase or get an app on one device and then install it on others. Gone. Wishlist? Gone.

How did this ever get past usability testing?

keenerz

The notification screen really is baffling, I just pulled it down and then had to swipe up to see my old notifications. There was literally nothing but an empty lockscreen at first. Why would they design it like this?

There are some suspicions that they might be looking to get rid of the power button at some point, but these are just suspicions at the moment.

keenerz

To be honest I did not like the redesigned apple music, the fact that they seem to go forward with that across all their apps is kind of sad but I suppose thats the future. Seems to go with more form over function.

New notification screen seems like something that's got to get redesigned by the final release. I haven't heard anyone say it's an improvement.

It *does* seem like something you'd design as a locking mechanism if you had a forthcoming phone without a power button. I'm fine with designing a locking mechanism with that in mind, but jeez louise create a 'just locked' vs 'locked and slept for a bit' state at the very least.

Current one seems a mess - good thing it's just b1.

Re: locking without a power button. It seems plausible but even though the screens look one in the same bringing down the Notification Center doesn’t actually lock the phone (currently). It looks the same, but the phone is as unlocked as ever

hirokazu

New notification screen seems like something that's got to get redesigned by the final release. I haven't heard anyone say it's an improvement.

It *does* seem like something you'd design as a locking mechanism if you had a forthcoming phone without a power button. I'm fine with designing a locking mechanism with that in mind, but jeez louise create a 'just locked' vs 'locked and slept for a bit' state at the very least.

The only thing it's improved is that you can now see all your previous notifications on the lock screen whereas before, if you unlocked your phone before reading them, they'd be gone from the lock screen. Except you could always pull down Notification Centre to see them after they're gone from the lock screen.

I'm not sure who thought that "improvement" was worth combining the lock screen with Notification Centre. Well okay, you can also now quickly open the camera from the Notification Centre/lock screen. But you could just as quickly open it from Control Centre before too.

The other issues I have with it, I'll assume are bugs.

Guess Who

Banned
I think the thinking behind the combination lock screen/notification center is, "your lock screen shows you notifications and lets you swipe to get at your widgets. Notification Center shows you notifications and lets you swipe to get at your widgets. Why are these two different things?"

Unfortunately, their experiment here in iOS 11 is revealing the answer to that question.

There are some suspicions that they might be looking to get rid of the power button at some point, but these are just suspicions at the moment.

I don't entirely follow that logic. How would this notification/lockscreen be more useful without a power button?

hirokazu

The weird thing is, the upcoming iPhone does have a power button and there's not really any more iOS devices coming out until next year's iPhone. I don't think that's it.

More likely, they may be trying to put into software everything you can do with hardware buttons in case the hardware button fails and the owner doesn't want to repair it. All the other hardware button functions are taken care of as of iOS 10, but the Lock button is only partially handled in software.

If you look in Settings > General, you'll find that at the bottom, there's an option to shut down the device in iOS 11. AssistiveTouch, which had always had a software Lock button, now also has an option to restart the device (since if your hardware button is borked, you can't turn it back on after turning it off unless you plug it in to charge).

The NC/Lock Screen, Shut Down/Restart options in the OS and the software Lock button in AssistiveTouch combined now handle all the things the hardware Lock button does.

Re: locking without a power button. It seems plausible but even though the screens look one in the same bringing down the Notification Center doesn't actually lock the phone (currently). It looks the same, but the phone is as unlocked as ever
Probably a bug, but sometimes, I find I can't drag it back up and the only way to dismiss it is to press the Home button, LOL.

hirokazu

I think the thinking behind the combination lock screen/notification center is, "your lock screen shows you notifications and lets you swipe to get at your widgets. Notification Center shows you notifications and lets you swipe to get at your widgets. Why are these two different things?"

Unfortunately, their experiment here in iOS 11 is revealing the answer to that question.
I think they tried to solve the wrong question. They should be asking why the widgets are accessible in three different places - left from lock screen, left page of Notification Centre, and left-most page of the Home Screen.

If they can answer that, they'd probably have a solution that makes sense.

I get that line of thinking, I really do. And combining them into one paradigm isn’t necessarily bad. Where it all falls apart is hiding older notifications behind a swipe down. Like, why? Why not just be a list? And it seems totally arbitrary what counts as “older”. I’ve had notifications just stay in the main screen for a long time.

The fact that they need text saying “No Older Notifications” tells us how insane this is

Edit: and look what they had to rename this stuff to. “Show on Lock Screen” in the notification settings is now “Show on Cover Sheet” which it has NEVER been called, and “show in Notification Center” is now “show in history”. This seems asinine

I don't get the point of it at all. The best you can say is it's a way of putting emphasis on the "new" notifications so that when you bring it down it's less of a huge disorganised mess. But they could, say, organise it better rather than do this.

I guess it's visually nicer to have your home screen wallpaper there rather than a grey background. But it's not worth the trade off. I imagine it'll change over the beta. It's too blah right now not to.

BigDes

So I'm guessing the Mini line is dead?

It doesn't really show up on the store at all unless you specifically look for it.

Bah.

Oh well when it comes time to replace my 4 I guess its a full size pro of some sort.

Majine

Banned
Mostly annoyed getting to your notifications is now two steps instead of one.

Swiping down from the top of the screen + Swiping up on the lockscreen

I guess they are separating new and old notifications, but I don't like that either. Show me... THE notifications.

They seem to have been obsessed with combining views for this release, and some of it makes sense, but man, they had to make sacrifices to make it all fit.

Mostly annoyed getting to your notifications is now two steps instead of one.

Swiping down from the top of the screen + Swiping down on the lockscreen

I guess they are separating new and old notifications, but I don't like that either. Show me... THE notifications.

They seem to have been obsessed to combine views for this release, and some of it makes sense, but man, they had to make sacrifices to make it all fit.

It reminds me of iOS7 where there were three views in the Notification Center: today, missed, and notifications. I literally never learned the distinction between “notifications” and “‘missed”. Was very happy when they dropped that entirely, but it sorta feels like they’re bringing it back here

Majine

Banned
It reminds me of iOS7 where there were three views in the Notification Center: today, missed, and notifications. I literally never learned the distinction between ”notifications" and ”‘missed". Was very happy when they dropped that entirely, but it sorta feels like they're bringing it back here

From Apples PoV, I get the idea. Notifications have historically lived on two surfaces, the lock screen and Notification Center, and combining them... there is a beautiful simplicity in there... in theory.

In practice, it's a bull in a china shop.

bananas

Banned
I put the iOS 11 beta on my iPad. Really liking it, but it's too buggy to put on my iPhone.

How stable is the macOS 10.13 beta?

Then you have all the missing stuff. Browsing my Purchases was also one of the things I did most in the App Store, since I often purchase or get an app on one device and then install it on others. Gone. Wishlist? Gone.

How did this ever get past usability testing?

Purchased apps is under your account pic at the top in the App Store.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ordered the iPad Pro 10.5 yesterday morning, accidentally dropped my iPad Mini 4 in a full bathtub last night, now it has a borked home button (which appears to be stuck in a permanently pressed state). I guess it was jealous and decided to end it all.

Ordered the iPad Pro 10.5 yesterday morning, accidentally dropped my iPad Mini 4 in a full bathtub last night, now it has a borked home button (which appears to be stuck in a permanently pressed state). I guess it was jealous and decided to end it all.

Accidentally, eh?

;)

peter-flak-as-columbo-007.jpg

For anyone with iOS looking for an content blocker for Safari that works - try Adguard with just the Easylist and Fanboy’s Social Blocking List filters enabled. Seems there’s a bug with memory overflows, so having multiple large filters enabled breaks them.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What was the estimated delivery date of the MBP?

I did 2-3 day shipping, and it'll be here Fri, Mon, or Tue.

Obviously I'd prefer Fri. It *JUST* switched to preparing for shipment, so I'm still hopeful.

AndTAR

Man I want A10X in a proper clamshell. Or in an Apple Tv with active cooling, pushed as far as it'll go, with more storage and a controller...

8MB L2 cache. Goddamn.
.. So I just looked it up also, and it looks like this L2 cache has increased from 3 MB to 8 MB - this difference seems quite extreme? I read briefly about the topic, and apparently it is highly essential to performance, due to CPU speeds having developed faster than memory access speeds - sound like this boost could have quite dramatic implications for performance?

Aiii

So not worth it
Cool. Gonna stick with the Gmail app, though. My trust in the stock app is forever broken since it deleted so many emails of mine. Fuck it.

I used the Gmail app until I finally properly used Google Inbox, never want to use anything else again, it's perfect.

Top Bottom