• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

jts

...hate me...
Aren't the rumors pointing to the iPhone Edition name? I mean it's the only iPhone that matters going forward anyway.
Oh yeah I could see that. Didn't remember about the Edition rumors.

iPhone Edition
iPhone 7
iPhone SE

And as the 7 and SE phase out, eventually:

iPhone Edition
iPhone
iPhone mini?

I'm surprised the ship date hasn't slipped for the new iPad Pros. Either no one is buying them or Apple just came really prepared

I've actually always wondered that. Have you (or someone else) tested the power draw firsthand?

It slipped 1 day from what I saw yesterday (now says the 14th for delivery instead of the 13th), but Best Buy still has them available for shipping or pick up on the 13th.

Majine

Banned
I... don’t think I like what they did with the iPad in iOS11.

Previously, I’ve had everything organised in folders. Social, productivity and so on and when I need to multitask, I swipe in and scroll through to find the app. More often than not, it worked fine because the most used apps are at the bottom.

That doesn’t work anymore. Now I have to move the apps I intend to multitask with from their neatly organised folders, and into the dock. Because the dock is the only place you can pull in side-by-side apps. The sheer thought of having a folder called productivity and then 1-3 productivity apps elsewhere on the homescreen, annoys me to no end.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just call it "The new iPhone". I thought there were some rumors talking about how they might not release a 7S/7S+ and just cut the prices of the 7/7+ which makes sense to me because I feel like anybody who wants a new iPhone won't settle for the 7S series compared to what the new iPhone will offer. Not to mention, in the future they can just have the iPhone, iPhone Plus, and maybe iPhone Mini as the SE successor.

The MBP 13' no touch bar got an upgrade yesterday. I tried to ask this question, but I didn't get a straight answer. Are the speed bump and graphics card upgrade significantly from last years model to the new one?

So, is this a significant speed bump if you are just using excel and Parallels Desktop to run statistical software?

Old one
*2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz, with 4MB shared L3 cache. *Intel Iris Plus Graphics 540

New one.
*2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, with 64MB of eDRAM
*Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640

btkadams

The MBP 13' no touch bar got an upgrade yesterday. I tried to ask this question, but I didn't get a straight answer. Are the speed bump and graphics card upgrade significantly from last years model to the new one?

So, is this a significant speed bump if you are just using excel and Parallels Desktop to run statistical software?

Old one

New one.
The numbers are higher!

I have no idea.

Previously, I’ve had everything organised in folders. Social, productivity and so on and when I need to multitask, I swipe in and scroll through to find the app. More often than not, it worked fine because the most used apps are at the bottom.

That doesn’t work anymore. Now I have to move the apps I intend to multitask with from their neatly organised folders, and into the dock. Because the dock is the only place you can pull in side-by-side apps. The sheer thought of having a folder called productivity and then 1-3 productivity apps elsewhere on the homescreen, annoys me to no end.
You can put folders in the dock, I'm pretty sure.

Guess Who

Banned

I'm about to blow your mind here:

1) Find one of the apps you want to split view on your home screen.

2) Press and drag the app's icon. Keep your finger held on it so that it remains in "drag and drop" mode.

3) With your other hand or finger, tap the second app's icon to open it, while still holding the first app's icon.

4) The second app will open, and the first app's icon will remain in "drag and drop" mode. You can now drag the first app into split view.

messiaen

I'm having trouble finding any mention of the MacBook's previous keyboard and what generation it was using previously.

Are the MacBook refreshes using the same keyboard mechanism as the MacBook Pro now?

I haven't had a chance to go into things in depth, but did they mention any more security/privacy improvements with iOS 11 or iCloud in general? I know during the keynote they mentioned again that Messages is end-to-end encrypted, but what is the state of iCloud backups and whatnot now? What is and isn't unreadable by Apple/Police/Hackers at this point?

edit: page was last updated May 10th, so I guess nothing new?

edit 2: Wait, when were backups encrypted in transmit and to server? I thought backups were still susceptible to 3rd parties via court orders and hacks.

The more I look at Apples current line, the more I think the new iphones will be called iPhone and iPhone Pro. Think about it, the ipad mini hasn't been updated and neither has the Macbook Air. Now we have the introduction of the iMac pro, it looks like all of apple's products have too major lines. iPad and iPad Pro, Macbook and Macbook Pro, iMac and iMac pro and now we'll have iPhone and iPhone Pro.

mid83

Not sure if it's been asked, but does anybody running iOS 11 betas know what new features are missing from the iPad Air 2? Im pretty excited about thr new features but I also how devices that are a few years old have a history of missing features and/or performance issues with major iOS upgrades. I'm still happy with my Air 2 but I guess I'm trying to decided if the new 10.5 Pro is good upgrade choice.

All in all I'm happy Apple has shown continued dedication to the tablet space after lot sale of talk about how tablets were already dying off. I personally love thr iPad. I hardly ever play games anymore, and when I do it's on console now, so my windows PC is sitting around unused. I use my MacBook Pro when I want a mouse and keyboard but often I just use the iPad. I'd consider going iPad only if there was mouse support when needed. Hopefully Apple continues to support the iPad brand.

Guess Who

Banned
Not sure if it's been asked, but does anybody running iOS 11 betas know what new features are missing from the iPad Air 2? Im pretty excited about thr new features but I also how devices that are a few years old have a history of missing features and/or performance issues with major iOS upgrades. I'm still happy with my Air 2 but I guess I'm trying to decided if the new 10.5 Pro is good upgrade choice.

All in all I'm happy Apple has shown continued dedication to the tablet space after lot sale of talk about how tablets were already dying off. I personally love thr iPad. I hardly ever play games anymore, and when I do it's on console now, so my windows PC is sitting around unused. I use my MacBook Pro when I want a mouse and keyboard but often I just use the iPad. I'd consider going iPad only if there was mouse support when needed. Hopefully Apple continues to support the iPad brand.

I don't think there's any noteworthy features in this update missing from the Air 2. New dock, split view, drag and drop, Files, etc. are all there.

From what I can tell, it’s not missing anything on my Air 2.

mid83

I don't think there's any noteworthy features in this update missing from the Air 2. New dock, split view, drag and drop, Files, etc. are all there.

From what I can tell, it’s not missing anything on my Air 2.

Thanks! I know a beta can be a bad way to judge but does it seem like it performs pretty well without lots of slowdown/stuttering?

Assuming the Air 2 handles iOS 11 well, I might hold off for the next major Pro upgrade.

Thanks! I know a beta can be a bad way to judge but does it seem like it performs pretty well without lots of slowdown/stuttering?

Assuming the Air 2 handles iOS 11 well, I might hold off for the next major Pro upgrade.

My 7 Plus is running this beta like total dogshit, it’s 100% too early to tell

rekameohs

Banned
Oh yeah I could see that. Didn't remember about the Edition rumors.

iPhone Edition
iPhone 7
iPhone SE

And as the 7 and SE phase out, eventually:

iPhone Edition
iPhone
iPhone mini?
Why wouldn't they use the "Pro" name for the premium product, like all their other product lines?

numble

Why wouldn't they use the "Pro" name for the premium product, like all their other product lines?

The majority of iPhone purchases are in the higher end range, but that is not the majority of Mac purchases (or even iPad purchases, I believe)--I think most people purchased the lower-end Mac, for instance, while I don't think Apple would want the majority of people purchasing the iPhone SE or its equivalent.

All their products are premium. The "Pro" name seems to indicate it is meant for Professionals given the audience that the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac Pro, and iPad Pro seem to be targeted at.

hirokazu

Hmm.. I entirely disagree. I like the honeycomb. Navigating a long lost or worse (a grid????? On a 1" screen??? BLEH!!!) is infinitely worse. I can get to any app in a second or less.
How is a grid any worse than the honeycomb? Currently, you've got a tight cluster of icons with no names on them. A grid would at least space them out a bit.

Yeah, I never got the honeycomb hate.
My main issue with it is less the layout and more that it's very hard to find the app you need because they're placed pretty randomly.

One day, I thought I ought to rearrange it so that related apps are grouped together in different quadrants with the clock in the centre.

Have you tried rearranging the honeycomb? You put a couple apps into the place you'd like them. Then you try to move the next app, and... when you move it, all the apps you've just finished positioning get shifted! Not you worry, you fight the system and finally get all of those apps where you want it. Onto the next one... and all the ones you've placed get shifted again!

It was seriously the most frustrating thing I've tried to do on an Apple OS.

L3fR0AE_d.jpg

How is a grid any worse than the honeycomb? Currently, you've got a tight cluster of icons with no names on them. A grid would at least space them out a bit.

My main issue with it is less the layout and more that it's very hard to find the app you need because they're placed pretty randomly.

One day, I thought I ought to rearrange it so that related apps are grouped together in different quadrants with the clock in the centre.

Have you tried rearranging the honeycomb? You put a couple apps into the place you'd like them. Then you try to move the next app, and... when you move it, all the apps you've just finished positioning get shifted! Not you worry, you fight the system and finally get all of those apps where you want it. Onto the next one... and all the ones you've placed get shifted again!

It was seriously the most frustrating thing I've tried to do on an Apple OS.

I agree with this. I don't mind the honeycomb too much but trying to place an icon in a specific location is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Hmm,

I have a $25 off $250 purchase for Adorama via AMEX offers and Adorama doesn't charge sales tax in California, effectively making the total purchase $625...

Nice.

The crowd singing their ending theme at ATP live was great; I have to admit I catch myself singing along to it in my car, it's a catchy tune.

It gets stuck in my head sometimes just out of nowhere

Should have taken a photo but I assume I was embarrassing myself enough

Shook hands with Casey Liss John Siracusa. I am complete

Very bummed I couldn't find the clip of the guy meeting the diva singer in the Fifth Element going "tall.... very tall...." because I was going to ask if that's what your reaction was to meeting Siracusa.

Also, Jonathan Mann is great with the ear worm songs. I loved his Game Jew stuff and a lot of his song-a-day stuff, but even his solo albums are good!

Looks like they removed Wish Lists from the App Store in iOS 11. I used that feature a lot.

Now I’m sending links to apps I might want to buy from the share sheet to my Notes app, which is less convenient but still something.

Very bummed I couldn't find the clip of the guy meeting the diva singer in the Fifth Element going "tall.... very tall...." because I was going to ask if that's what your reaction was to meeting Siracusa.

Also, Jonathan Mann is great with the ear worm songs. I loved his Game Jew stuff and a lot of his song-a-day stuff, but even his solo albums are good!

He didn’t seem that tall? I mean I’m a tall guy myself but it wasn’t like ridiculous

Casey gave me an ATP sticker and told me to sell it for a lot of money

Top Bottom