• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

jts

...hate me...
What I hope is that there's an option to keep Gmaps. Based on iPhoto, Apple's maps suck... especially outside the US.

LCfiner

What I hope is that there's an option to keep Gmaps. Based on iPhoto, Apple's maps suck... especially outside the US.

there won’t be an option to keep it, I bet. that’s too much of a core feature for Apple to build a new option and allow the old one to stick around.

but I absolutely share your concern about Apple’s mapping solution. If it’s not as good as Google maps - or sacrifices useful features for that whiz band 3D stuff - then it’ll be a real downgrade for iOS overall. And outside the states... oh man. I’m already worried that it’ll be sparse as hell in Canada. This one really gets me nervous since it’s such an important feature.

I just want some new iMacs but pretty excited at what they will do with the entire lineup. If no macs are updated I will be very very sad. :(

I'm holding out a glimmer of hope they announce the new iPhone for an August or July release, but that probably won't happen. I don't want to have to buy a 4S like two days before they release the 5.

jts

...hate me...
Based on an alpha product, the final product will suck.

Okay.
I have to base my opinion in what's out there right now. Google has been working on their mapping solution for a very long time, even in a small country outside the US where I live (in Portugal) it has a lot of detail (mapping and user data built over several years), street view, etc. Do I believe Apple's solution will be on par with it over here? Absolutely not. But I'm sure that if you live in, say, Manhattan, it will have the same detail and fancy 3D buildings.

there won’t be an option to keep it, I bet. that’s too much of a core feature for Apple to build a new option and allow the old one to stick around.

but I absolutely share your concern about Apple’s mapping solution. If it’s not as good as Google maps - or sacrifices useful features for that whiz band 3D stuff - then it’ll be a real downgrade for iOS overall. And outside the states... oh man. I’m already worried that it’ll be sparse as hell in Canada. This one really gets me nervous since it’s such an important feature.
Yeah. Depending on what I see, I may delay the shit out of this update. Really nervous.

But well, I guess that a native 3rd party Google maps app can soothe things, though.

NekoFever

Google's maps aren't always so great outside the US either. There are stores listed on it near me that have been closed for years, and none of the public transport data is accurate.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is the last product is new retina TB display not Mini or Pro.

Edit: Mac mini updates will be silent, they already got new unibody, lost ODD and TB, ivy bridge alone is not keynote material.

lol at Mac Pro
:(

No one should want a retina display on a Mac.

Everything will look terrible on it.

11" and 13" Air have nailed pixel density on a laptop.

Cheebo

Banned
No one should want a retina display on a Mac.

Everything will look terrible on it.

11" and 13" Air have nailed pixel density on a laptop.

Nothing in this post makes any sense. When you compare a retina MBA vs a non-retina MBA the non-retina one will look blurry by comparison.

Juice

Please stop calling it a "retina" display.

Apple will stop marketing it in a few years once it ceases to be a differentiator (or at least until their entire lineup has been bumped)

I think "retina" is one of the best consumer electronic marketing terms in years. It's meaningful to non-technical consumers. It's a significant, meaningful improvement. And it's relatively honest, it's not hyperbole or spin, its resolution is really as good as our biology can take in.

LCfiner

I can understand why people figure high res laptop screens will make everything look tiny if they don’t know about Apple’s work in progress hidpi mode.

we’re all used to desktop displays having a higher resolution and everything immediately getting smaller on the screen. that’s just tradition. we’re also used to getting more real estate to move windows around.

that won’t be happening with retina displays.

It should be fairly obvious when Apple starts promoting it, though.

Juice

Christ guys, retina != pixel double.

Apple has gone to great lengths to explain this. It simply means a PPI high enough that a users eye cannot discern individual pixels from a normal viewing distance.

That may well mean a given display needs to bump only from 120 to 190ish

Cheebo

Banned
It's gotten to the point where I can't tell if people are losing it over the loss of purity because it's not a complete lineup of pixel-doubled displays or if they're still mad that Apple picked a word for it at all.

Both are equally stupid. It's a brilliant marketing term. iPad 3 with brand new retina display or iPad 3 with 2048x1536 screen resolution? First one is much easier to explain and understand.

People hate that the concept of the spec is dying and being replaced by the actual concrete benefits to the user. Nobody who isn't a gigantic sperglord cares about your specific pixel density or the specific speed of your processor; what matters is that the screen looks nice and the user experience doesn't have any hitches.

I don't think you understand how it works.

Nothing in this post makes any sense. When you compare a retina MBA vs a non-retina MBA the non-retina one will look blurry by comparison.

well if you guys are so clever, I suggest you download a non-retina iPhone app onto your retina display'd iPhones and get used to looking at that for fucking ever, since that's what the internet will look like on a retina display Macbook with HiDPI mode.

Juice

well if you guys are so clever, I suggest you download a non-retina iPhone app onto your retina display'd iPhones and get used to looking at that for fucking ever, since that's what the internet will look like on a retina display Macbook with HiDPI mode.

Indeed. HiDPI text and artwork juxtaposed with low resolution graphics looks terribly blurry.

I have no idea what Apple's going to do to mitigate the effect. certainly iOS will get updated more quickly than OS X; not to mention every web site ever.

giga

We already have the retina iPad with the low res web. People still live. It's not a good enough reason to hold high dpi back.

oh man, i am just about saved up for a new laptop it's macbook pro time

also lookin at getting an imac sometime later this year so hopefully those get somethin

We already have the retina iPad with the low res web. People still live. It's not a good enough reason to hold high dpi back.
Pretty much.

Is it an annoyance? Sure—but it's an absolutely necessary one if you want to see technology advance.

giga

WSJ on iOS Maps (not much on iOS 6, more about behind the scenes politics): http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304543904577398502695522974.html?

The two sides bickered over a Google Maps feature called Street View, which lets people see an actual photo as if they are standing in the street. Apple wanted to incorporate Street View on the iPhone just as Google already offered it for Android phones. Google initially withheld the feature, frustrating Apple executives, according to people on both sides of the debate.

Apple executives also wanted to include Google's turn-by-turn-navigation service in the iPhone—a feature popular with Android users because it lets people treat their phones as in-car GPS devices. Google wouldn't allow it, according to people on both sides. One of these people said Google viewed Apple's terms as unfair.

Google executives, meantime, also bristled at Apple's refusal to add features that would help Google. For instance, Google wanted to emphasize its brand name more prominently within the maps app. It also wanted Apple to enable its service designed to find friends nearby, dubbed Latitude, which Apple refrained from doing, said people on both sides.

Meanwhile, Apple's geo team worked on features that might be able to one-up Google. Apple kept the details secret, even in-house. When one member of the geo team asked another what he was working on, he did little more than shrug, says one person familiar with the matter.

Apple had catching up to do. Employees worked on mapping designs to sub out Google's from the iPhone. They began work on a navigation app that resembles an in-car GPS device, says a person familiar with the project.

Apple also began licensing data about road-traffic conditions and local businesses from around the world. Apple needed more data for a critical step: building its new "geocoder," the code that translates longitudes and latitudes into actual addresses.

Apple wasn't pleased with Google's geocoding in part because Google's geocoder wouldn't let Apple use it unless Apple also showed a Google map every time it did so.

So Apple engineers worked on building their own geocoder. In a sign of the geo team's growing importance, Apple moved it into the esteemed iOS software unit, which is run by Scott Forstall, who oversees many of Apple's top priority projects.

Apple quietly launched its geocoder last fall inside its latest iPhone software. It has remained all but unnoticed outside a small circle of software pros.

Since Apple released its own geocoder, every time iPhone users open its map app, it is Apple's technology that translates their position, not Google's. Software developers can also use a version of the Apple technology, CLGeocoder, to build apps that let users, for instance, tell their friends what neighborhood they are in or search for nearby eateries.

Members of the Google Maps team in recent months have told colleagues they worry about Apple replacing their program, given that as many as half the people who access Google Maps own Apple devices, says someone familiar with the matter.

artist

Banned
So its just a case of biting the hand that feeds you .. in this case Google potentially alienating more than half their Maps users. Really hope that Google's own upcoming mapping technology is worthwhile ..

numble

So do most Android users just not use Internet services or something? They have the superior Google Maps experience and larger market, but half of the traffic still comes from Apple?

Anyway, I'm hoping they do mapping better than Google's subpar mapping in China/Hong Kong, but won't get my hopes up too high since I don't think they have that many people based over here focusing on services.

kehs

Banned
So do most Android users just not use Internet services or something? They have the superior Google Maps experience and larger market, but half of the traffic still comes from Apple?

Anyway, I'm hoping they do mapping better than Google's subpar mapping in China/Hong Kong, but won't get my hopes up too high since I don't think they have that many people based over here focusing on services.

I think that speaks more to total marketshare breakdown than anything.

RevoDS

Android has the larger marketshare, but because of the cheaper phones' popularity, it is likely that only a small percentage of them have 3G/4G data enabled, so those users only use it online when a Wi-Fi network is in range. The iPhone being high-end only, it makes sense that its users would have the better data plans, and the larger usage.

I have no stats or anything to back this up, but I think that's a plausible theory.

Top Bottom