• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

caramac

same shit. (going in one direction)

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05...with-usb-3-0-and-esata-bumps-price-to-399-99/

A lot of places offer only hubs and stations, but not direct cables.

if anyone else can get on this case, ive spent a decent amount of time and can't come up with anything. I remember in the "post your gaming setup" thread that there was a guy who had a console hooked up to his iMac (90% sure it wasnt a cinema or thunderbolt display) try and see if you can find the guy in those threads.

best of luck.

Thanks for your help, I live in hope :)

numble

CNN says 9to5mac's Mark Gurman is a 18-year old "teen blogging phenom."

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/05/whats-apple-going-to-unveil-next-week-in-san-francisco/

I didn't know he was that young.

In a series of scoops -- the accuracy of which is about to be tested -- 9to5Mac's star 18-year-old blogger (with assists from Seth Weintraub and Jordan Kahn) has been leading the growing pack of Apple-obsessed tech journalists.

Either Gurman has unusually good sources, or his journalistic bar is set unusually low. We'll find out which soon enough.

All I know is that I'm running a 2007 iMac whose internal HDD is dead (it's operating off of an external one) and I'm not replacing it until the iMacs get a new form factor and Retina displays.

Zutroy

The image doesn't really make sense. There's been all this build up that they were going to drop the disk drive, make it skinny and have a retina display. So why would they save that for the 15" model?

It seems a bizarre choice to keep the disk drive in the 13" but remove it from the bigger 15" version.

asdad123

The image doesn't really make sense. There's been all this build up that they were going to drop the disk drive, make it skinny and have a retina display. So why would they save that for the 15" model?

It seems a bizarre choice to keep the disk drive in the 13" but remove it from the bigger 15" version.

Why would it be bizarre? They already have a thin choice in the 13" air.

In my opinion, they'll keep the normal 13" machine as their cheapest PC (think the 13" white macbook they discontinued)

jts

...hate me...

In my opinion, they'll keep the normal 13" machine as their cheapest PC (think the 13" white macbook they discontinued)
I think the 11" MBA will still be the cheapest. But the 13" MBP being the most sensible cheap choice, ideal for education, yes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hope iOS6 is interesting because the only thing E3 did was make me think there are more interesting unqiue and core appealing games on iOS than the platforms being highlighted at E3. I don't own an iOS device currently, but E3 just made me think I should go get an iPad rather than go get a Wii-U or a Vita.

Zutroy

I suppose that makes sense.

Not that I'm bothered, as long as the new 15" is as rumoured then I'll be happy!

How do Apple normally handle new MacBook lines? Will they be available to order the day they are announced, or will there be a few weeks between?

ChanHuk

Banned
I suppose that makes sense.

Not that I'm bothered, as long as the new 15" is as rumoured then I'll be happy!

How do Apple normally handle new MacBook lines? Will they be available to order the day they are announced, or will there be a few weeks between?

They usually launch same day. But this is a redesign so I dunno how that works.

But what if you want more than the Air offers? More ports and better processor, ability to upgrade ram and hard drive are only on the Pro.

ChanHuk

Banned
The specs for the 13" MBP are pretty disappointing. I'll see how the Air turns out, 13" is a nice compromise between portability and use.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm actual surprised someone hasn't come up with a solution to turn the HDD into a battery, well OSX probably won't allow for it.

Vyer

I find this whole Maps thing very interesting.

Do Windows Phones use only Bing, or do they have the option to switch? I think it's amusing that we would have such a split in the mobile space with this function where at one time it was rather ubiquitous. If Google holding back stuff like Navigation from Apple is true, we might see a small scale arms race in that area as everyone tries to top each other now that the playing field is more level. Which, of course, is good for all of us.

There's also the question of how Google feels about losing their service in so many mobile devices. Clearly they want to get out in front of the whole thing, if this week's event with IO so close by is any indication.

In any case, I've always felt google maps have seved me fairly well in the past, so apple's offering needs to be at least that reliable or it would be a real problem.

numble

I find this whole Maps thing very interesting.

Do Windows Phones use only Bing, or do they have the option to switch? I think it's amusing that we would have such a split in the mobile space with this function where at one time it was rather ubiquitous. If Google holding back stuff like Navigation from Apple is true, we might see a small scale arms race in that area as everyone tries to top each other now that the playing field is more level. Which, of course, is good for all of us.

There's also the question of how Google feels about losing their service in so many mobile devices. Clearly they want to get out in front of the whole thing, if this week's event with IO so close by is any indication.

In any case, I've always felt google maps have seved me fairly well in the past, so apple's offering needs to be at least that reliable or it would be a real problem.

The founder of OpenStreetMap is a Microsoft employee, and Microsoft contributes Bing maps data to OpenStreetMap:
http://www.bing.com/community/site_...0/11/23/bing-engages-open-maps-community.aspx

I thought they announced the name change when they announced Mountain Lion, but I'm likely wrong.

Who knows, the specs could be real.
Nah, it happened with Lion: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I think it's real. It's probably classic Apple forced product differentiation. Just like how people worried about whether they should spend the extra $600 or so to go for an aluminum MBP over a plastic MB. Then there was the integrated GPU in the entry 15" MBP and you had to go one spec bump higher to get to the good stuff.

Zutroy

MacRumors

The same guy has provided specs for the 15" model. It shows that the processor is last years model and not a new Ivy Bridge one.

So...fake?

(I hope)

artist

Banned
9to5mac is still saying retina mbp for 15 inch and 11 and 13 inch air. So still decent chance. Why not just get the 13 inch air?
Prefer upgrade options over portability due to nature of work. But then again if they make the new Air enough enticing, I might consider it.

photo.jpg

Where great ideas go on to do great things

jts

...hate me...
Wow. How has that flown under the radar? It looks totally legit and like 4 days old.

I like what I'm seeing. Except for maps which I have to test with my own hands.

Siri, better spotlight.

The kid could be more thorough though.

noah111

Still Alive
"Published on Jun 2, 2012" how am I only just now seeing this? Looks real to me, though. Spotlight becoming more like the OS X version is definitely welcomed, maybe i'll actually use it now.

Here's a better look at the actual screen/new app icons, since the stupid text/screen dimness in that video makes it hard to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3JbcbCO9q4

Those app icons have to be placeholders, though. Right?

Yes. It's all bullshit.
What? I need to find that dictionary app and definitions via spotlight, then. :lol (in fact, anyone got a name for those tweaks?)

celebi23

FFS, I couldn't even watch the entire thing. Reeeeeaaaalllllyyyy fake.

Tell me you're joking.
I know, right

Wow. How has that flown under the radar? It looks totally legit and like 4 days old.

I like what I'm seeing. Except for maps which I have to test with my own hands.

Siri, better spotlight.

The kid could be more thorough though.
Not sure if you're joking or not. There's no way Apple would let a leak like this happen with WWDC next week.

jts

...hate me...
Yes. It's all bullshit.
There is some good jailbreak stuff out there then. I knew about Siri, but the spotlight tweaks seem great.

Also, the Maps app seems so convincing, damn it. It doesn't look like Google Maps and the navigation implementation seems smart, with brightness and zoom controls. I'd expect that from Apple.

The Dictionary icon seems a bit off though (a bit of shadowing on the sides of the book) but I've seen ugly icons from Apple.

Lastly, the iStore... the App Store is too big of a brand for Apple to throw it away, but on the other hand there are a couple of incongruent things that Apple could and should fix some day (for example, iTunes on the iPhone and on the Mac mean two different things), so a cohesive rebranding could be in order.
Not sure if you're joking or not. There's no way Apple would let a leak like this happen with WWDC next week.
iOS 5.1.1 leaked before being seeded to developers so I wouldn't know. Of course, IIRC, it was leaked thanks to a brazilian carrier (carriers may get early versions for testing) and iPods don't have carriers, but anyway, yeah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4u4gk6pfc

0:37 look as this arshole taps on top rated or something and it changes from App Store to Music Store. Kids these days *shakes fist*

giga

There is some good jailbreak stuff out there then. I knew about Siri, but the spotlight tweaks seem great.

Also, the Maps app seems so convincing, damn it. It doesn't look like Google Maps and the navigation implementation seems smart, with brightness and zoom controls. I'd expect that from Apple.

The Dictionary icon seems a bit off though (a bit of shadowing on the sides of the book) but I've seen ugly icons from Apple.

Lastly, the iStore... the App Store is too big of a brand for Apple to throw it away, but on the other hand there are a couple of incongruent things that Apple could and should fix some day (for example, iTunes on the iPhone and on the Mac mean two different things), so a cohesive rebranding could be in order.
iOS 5.1.1 leaked before being seeded to developers so I wouldn't know. Of course, IIRC, it was leaked thanks to a brazilian carrier (carriers may get early versions for testing) and iPods don't have carriers, but anyway, yeah...
…the maps app is anything but convincing considering the design of it was already leaked by chronic and bgr. The dictionary app…no. Not just the icon, but the actual UI design looks like something made for a university intro course.

noah111

Still Alive
I knew about Siri, but the spotlight tweaks seem great.
That's what got me, i've been looking for a good simple in-line way to bring up calculation an definition results in spotlight, via JB tweaks, but I haven't found anything like that before or i'd be using it.

But I agree with giga on the dictionary app, looks like shit when actually open. However, I chalked that up to "beta". :p

Top Bottom