• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Koodo

Banned
It begins:

1QvWxj7.jpg
How fitting that the zenith of hardware aesthetics come from such an aesthetically pleasing man.

iF4gQOJvMrxFR.gif

Fuchsdh

So i guess I'm the only one who hates the flat design crap? I don't like the excessive skeuomorphism and Corinthian leather, but removing that doesn't mean getting rid of pleasing gradients and shadows.

So i guess I'm the only one who hates the flat design crap? I don't like the excessive skeuomorphism and Corinthian leather, but removing that doesn't mean getting rid of pleasing gradients and shadows.

they're not gona go as all the way as some people think, no waysss.

At the risk of missing out, I'll wait to see what they have tomorrow and if it's in stable enough shape.

(Also, I heard they might be moving away from UDID registration for betas after iOS6.)

The public API for retrieving UDIDs within an application is deprecated for privacy reasons and as of May (I think) it'll automatically get your app submissions (update or new) rejected.

With all of that said: it doesn't affect its usage in the dev center. It's still a unique device identifier and will continue to be used.

Juice

I only want a few things for iOS:

-Better Keyboard. Just pay Swype the licensing fee, I can't deal with the tiny button typing.
-Get rid of the search input on Safari, all other browsers have gotten rid of this because it wastes space, even moreso on mobile, please follow suit.
-Chromeless Safari in portrait mode. Dunno why you can only do this in landscape. Again stop wasting space.
-Ability to clear badges. This is something everyone who uses badges could do but doesn't, not just Apple. I don't read every email so my count keeps growing, I don't listen to every podcast so the count grows, just let me swipe over it to clear it or something.

For OSX:

-Basically neither the software or hardware supports touch interfaces. It's happening with or without them but for my next notebook/ultrabook/whatever it's a basic expectation. Especially for developers you'd think they'd put it in there.

Phew man. I think that you're just out of alignment with Apple's direction.

- very unlikely that they introduce a "pro" keyboard for power users. If they did, I imagine it'd be a totally left field invention based on internal R&D. They're not going to cherry pick a niche favorite from android and appear as an also-ran.

- the safari search field will remain a separate field because it and the URL field have drastically different keyboards. It's not a waste of space because either tap target will expand to the entire width. It's just not appealing visually.

- chromeless safari in portrait is certainly possible. I think there may be fear that users would get confused by it. (Whereas their data likely shows that people who switch to landscape mode are generally smarter users)

- clear badges: that won't happen simply because it runs counter to their ethos: don't make something look simple, make it actually simple. The concept of clearing or resetting a badge count (say for mail) makes the badge number a tremendously complex mystery for users. Do I have 500 total emails or only since my last reset? Are they marked read? If I read an old unread email after I reset the badge, will the badge counter still decrement? No chance in hell they would monkey with this. You don't like seeing crazy badge numbers, you can already disable them.

OSX:

- Apple has already indicated they don't see the value of a touch screen Mac, both because every target is designed for a mouse cursor and also because the angle for use is unnatural so long as a keyboard also exists. Unless a capacitive sensor could be thrown into macs for nearly no cost or trade off, this wouldn't happen. And even if they did incorporate it, it'd only be for broad gestures and scrolling, tapping would probably not be supported (because they don't want a terrible user experience like desktop mode on the surface). In fact, that confusion alone is reason enough for them to not do it.

Juice

9to5mac claims they just got their hands on ios 7!

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/09/what-ios7-looks-like/

I’ve been given a quick peek at an early beta of iOS7 and can only describe what I’ve seen. I’m told I can’t post the screenshots because Apple embeds little watermarks that could land the source in some trouble.

The whole OS has that ‘skinny jeans’ Helvetica Nueue Ultra Light or similar that you’ve seen in those posters. At the top, instead of carrier signal bars, Apple now has 5 dots that are white or gray to represent the signal.

The app icons are different across the board, similar but not quite the same as the one we tweeted earlier.

Yes, they are flat. Our in-house Photoshop guru Michael Steeber has mocked up (Above) the icons based on descriptions which closely match what I believe we’ll see tomorrow. A full mockup of a home screen is at the bottom of this post.

iTunes is Purple-ish with white (iSync-like arrows instead of a music note).
Camera is Gray gradient and icon is same shape as you see on the lock screen
Facetime is like it used to be without the gray. and flat.
The Maps icon is a different place. Perhaps near the Spaceship campus?
Compass icon is darker and flatter.
Safari icon is like the Mac circle icon without the silver frame.
Photos icon is a color wheel
Game Center is similar to the photos icon – totally different than before.
Perhaps most interesting: There are two color schemes for many of these apps – one black-ish and one white-ish. We’re not sure if they are A/B decoys, if white iPhones and Black iPhones will have their own color schemes or as someone else suggested, the different color schemes might be invoked by the amount of ambient light or the time of day. But it is super-interesting, especially since we’ve heard whispers that the whole UI might shift slightly based on external factors similar to the way the music volume icon switches based on how you hold the iPhone.

When in “Black mode”, the keyboard is black with gray letters. In “white mode”, gray keys with white letters – a little like Android.

We’ve heard that maps has a new walking directions functionality. Also, grouped table views no longer have spaces on the left and right now – rounded rectangles give way to more rectangular like the Twitter app UI update.

On Airdrop, we’ve now heard “the share menu has a sideways scrollable row on top of the device and and computer airdrop photos like the circles with a pic of them”. The next row has sharing services Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Vimeo. Next row has copy/paste/cut/etc.

We’re updating this post. Stay tuned for more information in the coming hours as we count down to WWDC and our Liveblog.

homescreen-dock.png

I am so ready for a change.

Juice

So...new icons? And a different keyboard? Nothing to say about any extra functionality besides walking directions?

fjCxTO3.gif

That mockup is HORRENDOUS.

The mockup obviously represents a few of the authors observations of fact, I highly doubt it's a pixel perfect translation

GWX

Ugh. So ugly (and fake).

edit: oh, it's a mockup based on what someone have seen. True or not, that is ugly.

NYR

Wow, gonna miss the dock, always thought the original ios dock was terrible and incorporating the osx one was a great idea.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm really hoping Apple knocks our socks off. Give me a reason to come back to iOS, Jony, but know that a coat of paint ain't gonna do it.

numble

Yeah and I'm calling bullshit on that.
9to5mac probably has the best pre-event track record of anyone out there, though.

They even got Siri down to the purple icon:
http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/26/the-new-iphone/
Since there are so few direct commands with Voice Control, Apple slides the command options by on a waveform. Assistant is packed with seemingly endless possibilities, so Apple instead has a small “info” button which one can click to view some of the most commonly spoken commands. This command view not only shows command types, but actually provides some sample phrases; Apple obviously wants their implementation to be as intuitive as possible. In the middle of the Assistant interface – next to the small command samples button – is a silver microphone icon with an orbiting purple flare. The flare notes that your iPhone is ready to receive commands.

Yeah, if they went all out with the flat look/design I'm going to be pretty unhappy. I hate it when skeuomorphism goes wrong (stitched leather, old tape player UI, yellow note paper, ripped pages, etc.) but when done right it's pretty darn cool. I can't stand the Windows Phone look. I hate it, in fact.

I trust Ive, though. I mean he's a master of design, so we'll see.

Guess Who

Banned
9to5Mac has some good sources and have been really accurate on a number of things in the past. That said, yeah, that mockup is awful.

The whole OS has that ‘skinny jeans’ Helvetica Nueue Ultra Light or similar that you’ve seen in those posters. At the top, instead of carrier signal bars, Apple now has 5 dots that are white or gray to represent the signal.

please be true

I hope they reduce the icon sizes a little. I trust Ive with this, the likelihood of him giving us something that looks bad is really low.

I could live with it, if that's similar to what Apple has done. But won't it make all the third-party app icons stick out like a sore thumb? It's going to look uneven if we have beautiful flat design Apple apps and then, for instance, the NeoGaf icon on the same screen.

I could live with it, if that's similar to what Apple has done. But won't it make all the third-party app icons stick out like a sore thumb? It's going to look uneven if we have beautiful flat design Apple apps and then, for instance, the NeoGaf icon on the same screen.
Every icon's already a wide mix of styles anyway. The circle gloss on most app icons is added by iOS.

It would be up to the third parties to change them. A lot of the icons already look horrible when you compare them to the stock ones.

All the talk is about removing the skeuomorphism from iOS. I hope they don't forget to do the same for OSX.

I use Apple's stock apps for Calendar and Reminders I OSX and both of those look like butt. Notes is the worst offender on both iOS and OSX, but I've long since traded that out for Evernote anyways.

ant1532

Banned
i swear to glob is this is just some heavy aesthetic change and light on the adding features of the phone imma be peeessed

The guy's description specifically says that the new iTunes logo has arrows like iSync instead of notes yet their guru still put the standard note icon on there. Way to go dude.

hirokazu

At the risk of missing out, I'll wait to see what they have tomorrow and if it's in stable enough shape.

(Also, I heard they might be moving away from UDID registration for betas after iOS6.)
Where did you hear that from and how are they gonna do it without using UDIDs?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Something I really hope they fix that bugs the crap out of me...

Okay, so in iOS and Mail if you have your email set up and say you get 20 new messages unread. Now you open Mail on your Mac and mark 5 of them as read, that number gets down to 15. Now, on the iOS devices and your other Macs the number actually changes automatically to 15 without having to open the app on the other device. Same thing with Messages. Get a message on one device and check it and it clears itself across the board.

But, if you have a FaceBook account or Twitter account, if you get say 3 notifications, say messages, replies, whatever, and the icon shows up on your iPhone and iPad with 3's on it and you open the respective app on the iPhone, the number will reset there once you've cleared it by viewing it. BUT ONLY on that device. The number stays on the other device until you open the app on the other device even though those notifications no longer exist. You have to open the app just to clear the number.

That makes no sense, especially since iOS has such deep FaceBook and Twitter integration. These apps at the very least should update their numbers like Mail and Messages do. And don't try and rationalize this as "intended" because no, there is literally no reason they shouldn't work that way except for the obvious two "because they're third party apps" and "they simply didn't think about it accidentally". Fixing this would make me very happy. Because these numbers are statuses for cloud-based web services. All of them. All of their data is stored on a server somewhere. Messages, mail, FaceBook and Twitter stuff. If I've already checked into these websites and gotten my messages or information, all my devices should ideally update to reflect that. So I hope they thought this as well and fixed it on their end. Especially since both apps are integrated into the OS it only makes more sense. So please, Apple, this is my number one request.

hirokazu

That mockup not only looks aesthetically awful, but some of the icons give zero indication of what the app actually is, particularly the Photos wheel and the Game Center whatever the hell that crap is.

I was actually able to install the iOS 6 beta without registering my UDID. It worked on all versions, surprisingly.
Oh? How did you manage that, because I'm pretty sure nobody else did and ended up with a useable OS without exploiting bugs.

That mockup not only looks aesthetically awful, but some of the icons give zero indication of what the app actually is, particularly the Photos wheel and the Game Center whatever the hell that crap is.

Oh? How did you manage that, because I'm pretty sure nobody else did and ended up with a useable OS without exploiting bugs.

Yeah, I did the same. Was a matter of holding Shift (I think) when clicking "restore" in iTunes, then selecting the appropriate .ipa and away it went.

rezuth

Gotta wonder if all he got was a screen grab of the home screen. Also Michael Steeber is one of the few people who really annoys me, his twitter feed is even worse than mine.

Top Bottom