• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Appleman

Just installed it and played around.

It feels half-finished and quite a bit more complex than iOS 6.

Obviously hard to tell, but how stable does it feel? I have a nasty habit of throwing caution to the wind and installing these betas on my daily :p

And not to bug or anything, but did you end up getting those devices registered?

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the latest on user reviews of the Time Capsule? I'll be upgrading my Airport Extreme and trying to decide if Capsule is worth it this time around.

I wonder what size storage Apple will be sticking in the new Mac Pro. That flashy PCIe storage can't be cheap... Is the Apple fusion drive doable over thunderbolt?
would still rather have multiple internal bay drives :/

Appleman

Fair enough, though I'd be interested in a more expanded explanation on the WiFi mode that the 4 and 4S are lacking. The iPad 2 came out before the 4S, and it's supported - wonder why it has the necessary components? (I understand more in the case of the mini, iPad 3-4, and iPod touch 5G, considering they all released later).

AirDrop isn't supported on the iPad 2 or 3 either.... (unfortunately for me)

giga

The OS looks so much better in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inLq_mcBUW8

Darker wallpapers >>> bright ones.

hyAdr2a.png

sHZSxc5.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The dude was the star of the show. He killed it each time he was on stage. totally surprised me as I didn't think he was capable of being so comfortable on stage.

Everyone seemed to be firing on all engines. It seemed pretty obvious they were confident, excited and enthusiastic across the board. That said, HFO did indeed nail it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Obviously hard to tell, but how stable does it feel? I have a nasty habit of throwing caution to the wind and installing these betas on my daily :p

And not to bug or anything, but did you end up getting those devices registered?

It's buggy. I've already had one hard lock and my iPhone 5 regularly feels like the metal is going to melt.

I really don't like the look of the UI. It looks very childish and feminine.

But they showed more than I expected today. I think they did enough to keep enough people around that were starting to second-guess. And I'm sure plenty will still leave. But mission accomplished for Apple.

I don't know how much longer Apple update with these features that have been out on Android for years.

As someone who recently switched to Android, after having only owned iPhones, there wasn't enough today to make me regret my decision.

Quick question for those in the ios 7 beta, but is the number of apps in a folder unchanged from ios 6? Or have they increased the limit again?

Thanks.

jts

...hate me...
My wishlist. Throwing in everything and the kitchen sink.

Keychain Access
Better Safari iCloud features (forms sync, keychain sync, history sync, etc)
Omnibar for iOS Safari, jesus christ it's about time
Widgets of some sort, yes
Native/App Store VNC/ScreenSharing client app by Apple
Tighter local (bluetooth and/or wifi) sync between devices. Answer phone call on Mac, iPad if you must. Same for text messages. Any text message, not only iMessages.
Let me attach files starting from the mail client dammit. And not only pictures. Holy hell.
Smart keyboard detection.
Setting default apps.
More shortcuts on the home screen. Contacts and other shit.
1 or 2 customizable shortcuts on the lock screen besides the camera. Flashlight comes to mind.
Siri has so much to improve, down to recognition of stuff. It's just very dumb as off now. Let it be able to learn. Yes, Siri, you know that album I'm always listening to. Don't become Voice Control 2.0.
Lazors.
Deeper integration of 3rd party stuff. Open your APIs more Apple.

I'm sure I'll remember more stuff. Apple will probably address one or two of these if we're lucky.
Some good requests, I guess. Particularly good call on keychain. Forgot completely about the toggles that I crave, and now that wish is also fulfilled.

Guys, if someone would be so kind to check in which languages is Siri available now. They didn't say (only spoke about the new voice choices).

Volotaire

THos macbook upgrades look great.

Base storage now 128 GB!
That battery life improved more than 50%!
Cheaper for base 13 inch model!

Damn I think I might get this badass for university now. Unless Asus Zenbook announces a refresh between now and Sep, I'm a Macbook fan now!

THos macbook upgrades look great.

Base storage now 128 GB!
That battery life improved more than 50%!
Cheaper for base 13 inch model!

Yeah, very tempted to upgrade my Air to the new model; big jump in battery life + USB3 is not too shabby. Should wait on Anandtech review though...

jts

...hate me...
I want to replace my 2010 MBP but the price is still cray. Base price is not awful but I need 512GB + 8GB RAM. And then it gets cray, considering that it would still be a downgrade from my 1TB Fusion drive (and 8GB of RAM as well).

Dammmmmitttt

Bring on the MBPr Haswell update.

I didn't get to post in this thread while WWDC was happening because gaming side had to crash gaf.

But in conclusion, i just spent 99 dollars on a developer access to the beta, i have problems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's a lot of stuff I like about the new look.

But there's also a lot of stuff I don't. I don't like the font, which is too thin and wispy. I don't like the emphasis on white. I hate most of the new icons. Steve Jobs wouldn't have signed off on a lot of this stuff, and I think that's a good and a bad thing; SBSettings is kneecapped by Command Center (yay!), but Command Center looks like a busy mess.

No more green felt! Yay! But even stuff like Messages now looks very very flat! Boo!

Safari in particular looks terrible to me, that URL bar, man I dunno.

Most of the new features for iOS7 look excellent, especially iTunes Radio. $24.99 for unlimited no ads and iTunes Match beats the hell out of $10/month for R-dio or whatever.

I feel like I liked some of the mockups of iOS 7 better. Some parts look good, others not. Like the new Game Center, not feeling the look. Weather app is nice, but I don't have a Touch anymore, only an iPad.

What a clusterfuck.

The only thing I like it the glossy glass look on the Notification Center and why it doesn't take up the full screen is beyond me.

zychi

Banned
Bought a new air with 8gb ram. Was bummed retina didnt get the new intel. But ~$800 for a an air after selling my ipad seems good for me.

Basically be using it for WoW, Starcraft 2, internet and documents. Excited to get it next week :)

Appleman

There's a lot of stuff I like about the new look.

But there's also a lot of stuff I don't. I don't like the font, which is too thin and wispy. I don't like the emphasis on white. I hate most of the new icons. Steve Jobs wouldn't have signed off on a lot of this stuff, and I think that's a good and a bad thing; SBSettings is kneecapped by Command Center (yay!), but Command Center looks like a busy mess.

No more green felt! Yay! But even stuff like Messages now looks very very flat! Boo!

Safari in particular looks terrible to me, that URL bar, man I dunno.

Most of the new features for iOS7 look excellent, especially iTunes Radio. $24.99 for unlimited no ads and iTunes Match beats the hell out of $10/month for R-dio or whatever.

Agree on all counts. Some of the icon design looks unbelievably bad though, and there's something off about the look of Command Center.

Getting rid of the green felt was a good call, but what's with the glossy, realistic bubbles that have nothing to do with anything? Doesn't really seem like an all around improvement.

I really like the function of the new design, and the added features look incredible, but from a purely visual standpoint, I'm not really sure, but I never hated skeuomorphism as much as everyone else.

Gruber seems to think that this interface feels more like hardware: solid, not just pixels on a screen. I actually feel the opposite from what I've seen (beta is still downloading), something about the iOSs 1-6 feels more solid, and this feels flimsy and redesigned for the sake of redesign.

I think overall it will be an unquestionable improvement, but I'm not wholly onboard with the look and feel, maybe it will improve over the beta period, or I'll just come around on it.

Mavericks looks excellent though, and I REALLY like the look of the Mac Pro (dat website)

I'm hesitant to praise the new look too, but then again, most of us weren't sure how we felt about the new iMacs, new unibody MacBooks, iPhone 4, iPad, etc, and the general consensus now is that they're all pretty good looking things.

Shearie

The new look is much better than before and while I didn't get all the new features I wanted, there's still enough introduced to make me happy.

RDreamer

I'm digging the new look. Only thing is that it looks completely and utterly different from OS X now, and I'm wondering how they'll change OS X to match.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
A vast majority of 3rd party app icons look really out of place now :/
"This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program."

WTF! It's registered... grrr

I just went through this same issue. The problem was that I pointed to the beta image through the Restore option in iTunes vs. the Update option.

Ended up having to DFU my phone back to iOS6, then Cmd+Opt click on Update and do the upgrade again. Worked when I did this. Hope that helps.

Jonogunn

saw a hands on vid and it looks slugglishly slow. going into the phone app took some loading time.

i hope this gets sorted out before the official release cause that would suck big time! my iphone 5 would feel like a 4!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
saw a hands on vid and it looks slugglishly slow. going into the phone app took some loading time.

i hope this gets sorted out before the official release cause that would suck big time! my iphone 5 would feel like a 4!

You've never followed iOS betas, have you?

Or, hell, betas in general.

Top Bottom