• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

JBuccCP

I'm probably not the first to say this but the way some of it looks reminded me a bit of the Windows taskbar since Windows 7 of all things. Overall I'm not sure I'm fond of the new look, it has a similar "overdesigned" feel you get from some custom android/jailbreak skins. The overarching design philosophy about hierarchies and whatnot sounds nice though, and the new features are welcome.

Talon

saw a hands on vid and it looks slugglishly slow. going into the phone app took some loading time.

i hope this gets sorted out before the official release cause that would suck big time! my iphone 5 would feel like a 4!
Welcome to beta releases.

hirokazu

Yeah I just looked and the clocks second hand is actually moving. Pretty cool.

Weather icon doesn't seem to be updating, though.

Yeah, I saw the second hand move in the live demo. Somebody thought the weather app was live too, shame that it actually isn't.

Also, how the hell did some of you guys manage to post during the keynote?!

Ninja Dom

Anybody able to post a screenshot of the default front screen of iOS 7 running on an iPhone 5? Just the screen where you choose Messages, Camera, Safari etc. I'd like to see the new design full res.

hirokazu

The OS looks so much better in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inLq_mcBUW8

Darker wallpapers >>> bright ones.

hyAdr2a.png

sHZSxc5.jpg

Any idea on what determines what colour the keyboard is?

I'm hesitant to praise the new look too, but then again, most of us weren't sure how we felt about the new iMacs, new unibody MacBooks, iPhone 4, iPad, etc, and the general consensus now is that they're all pretty good looking things.

really? i had no idea people were divisive on the iphone 4 or the unibody macbooks. they look like instant classics and im surprised there were humans on planet earth that actually thought those were ugly.

rezuth

It looks absolutely gorgeous. Not sure what people really wanted out of this...

Didn't expect Apple to redeem this mediocre day.

The Apple event really made all the E3 conferences look mediocre. I'm still hyped about Nintendo though. I think I really love everything in iOS 7 except the icons. Some of them just looks like unfinished mock ups, especially Safari and Compass.

really? i had no idea people were divisive on the iphone 4 or the unibody macbooks. they look like instant classics and im surprised there were humans on planet earth that actually thought those were ugly.
When iPhone 4 leaked, a lot of people thought it was fake because of its looks. Some thought it looked too "prototype"-ish, some thought the notches in the antenna band were distinctly "un-Apple," and others just thought it looked fug.

I remember being in the first camp. Looks much better in person, but it really did look quite bare in those photos :p

When iPhone 4 leaked, a lot of people thought it was fake because of its looks. Some thought it looked too "prototype"-ish, some thought the notches in the antenna band were distinctly "un-Apple," and others just thought it looked fug.

I remember being in the first camp. Looks much better in person, but it really did look quite bare in those photos :p
Yep, and when it comes to the computers, there are still a lot of people that can't get over the black keyboard and thick black bezel on the grey aluminum.

im so glad we got animated backgrounds. this was definitely high on my list for just how cool it will look and i hope there are a bunch of them included with iOS7. i would also like to create some of my own so hope that process isnt too difficult.

ah, i hadnt seen the leaks but i remember the whole debacle about that gizmodo user who found the prototype at a bar. i dont think i even cared about phones back then lol

Yep, and when it comes to the computers, there are still a lot of people that can't get over the black keyboard and thick black bezel on the grey aluminum.

people are so weird sometimes.

Chris R

I want a new MBA but I can wait for Apple to refresh the MBP/rMBP to see if I might just jump to one of those instead. Nice pricepoints on the MBAs and their upgrades for once though.

Also, the new Mac Pro look interesting, would love to see them "dumb" it down with a regular i5/i7 non Xeon and just throw in a singular mobile GPU in the "Pro" chassis.

dream

So what's the technical reason behind The New iPad not supporting AirDrop? Is iOS 7 creating an ad hoc 802.11ac network or something when using AirDrop?

hirokazu

So what's the technical reason behind The New iPad not supporting AirDrop? Is iOS 7 creating an ad hoc 802.11ac network or something when using AirDrop?

They said something during the keynote, but I didn't catch it. I'm disappointed by that too.

subrock

been playing with iOS7 for a few hours today. I'm an iOS dev so there are some vexing design hurdles that have been introduced. I like the overall theme. I'm already eagerly awaiting beta 2 as there are some funny showstoppers and animation glitches in this version.

I will comment on one app: Messages is a downgrade. Too much movement in the whole think. It feels very wiggly and glitchy. I do wonder if we'll get access to that physics enabled UITableView.

Also a very exciting takeaway from today's presentation: iOS6 adoption is at 93%. We are having meetings tomorrow to discuss dropping it like a hot rock so we can start using UICollectionView, Attributed strings, UIAppearance, etc etc etc.

As a general rule, no one should install these betas on a phone they rely on. That's especially the case with betas 1–3 or so. I'm testing on a secondary device already as we're thinking about retooling one of our old apps for a day one launch with iOS 7.

So a warning: do not install this beta. It is not stable enough to use.

My Home button died once and I had to hard reset (it worked for that at least). Lots of funny little bugs, and Messages isn't syncing with my computer, but it does work. I like it a lot better in action than in screens. It feels more cohesive, where it just looked messy to me when it was unveiled.

Rpgmonkey

Looks pretty good, especially against a dark background. Also seems to have a lot of the core functions I like to use from jailbreaking, except for five icons in the dock and quick reply to messages.

I have a strong urge to join the beta but I'll try to hold out for the GM.

numble

Ct1axDW.png

I wonder if the support for ad-hoc WiFi and Bluetooth LE micro-location "iBeacons" means they'll just skip NFC. They haven't talked very much about this "iBeacon" stuff.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
It's an adjustment for sure but I'm generally liking it in everyday use. Love the animating wallpaper, Control Center and new camera roll.

Biggest pleasant surprise is the new coverflow multitasking bar. Swiping up to remove the app snapshot is way more convenient than holding until wiggle -> tapping X.

Pretty pleased so far.

kaskade

Ordered a Macbook Air 13" pretty much as soon as the store went back up. Updated the ram so my shipping time is a bit longer. Hopefully I have it by the weekend.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Man, bummed no retina Mini. Any idea when they could possibly announce?

Heel

Has anyone put together some side-by-side comparisons of iOS 6 and iOS 7 with the screens that have been released?

numble

Some insight into iBeacons:

You identify beacons using a combination of three values:

The proximityUUID property contains the identifier that you use to identify your company’s beacons. You typically generate only one UUID for your company’s beacons but can generate more as needed. You generate this value using the uuidgen command-line tool.

The major property contains a value that can be used to group related sets of beacons. For example, a department store might assign the same major value for all of the beacons on the same floor.

The minor property specifies the individual beacon within a group. For example, for a group of beacons on the same floor of a department store, this value might be assigned to a beacon in a particular section.

You program the identity values into the beacon hardware itself using the tools provided by the beacon manufacturer. In your app, you then use those values to identify which beacon was found and respond appropriately.

notifyEntryStateOnDisplay
A Boolean indicating whether beacon notifications are sent when the device’s display is on.

@property (nonatomic, assign) BOOL notifyEntryStateOnDisplay;
Discussion
When set to YES, the location manager sends beacon notifications when the user turns on the display and the device is already inside the region. These notifications are sent even if your app is not running. In that situation, the system launches your app into the background so that it can handle the notifications.

If this property is set to NO, beacon notifications are sent only while your app is running.

proximity
The relative distance to the beacon. (read-only)

@property (readonly, nonatomic) CLProximity proximity;
Discussion
The value in this property gives a general sense of the relative distance to the beacon. Use it to quickly identify beacons that are nearer to the user rather than farther away.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Man, bummed no retina Mini. Any idea when they could possibly announce?
In the fall when they update the iPhones, iPads and iPods and release iOS and OS X. September/October.

Edit: I see that using a light colored background makes the text black. What if you have one with varying shades of dark and light?

Also, when there's only one page of icons, does the pagination dot disappear now that Spotlight has been moved?

I'm seeing a bunch of people reporting online that you don't need to register your UDID to use the iOS 7 beta. People have reportedly done it with the 4, 4S, and the 5. There's no telling if it'll brick once beta 2 hits, or if Apple just decided to say "fuck it" since so many people broke the rules, or what. But apparently you just Option > Restore and use the iOS 7 ispw file and it's good to go. Even seen multiple people on GAF do it this way.

Gonna try it on my old iPhone 4 because even if it does brick once Beta 2 hits, I rarely ever use it for anything so it can just lay in wait for the GM in the fall.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm seeing a bunch of people reporting online that you don't need to register your UDID to use the iOS 7 beta. People have reportedly done it with the 4, 4S, and the 5. There's no telling if it'll brick once beta 2 hits, or if Apple just decided to say "fuck it" since so many people broke the rules, or what. But apparently you just Option > Restore and use the iOS 7 ispw file and it's good to go. Even seen multiple people on GAF do it this way.

Gonna try it on my old iPhone 4 because even if it does brick once Beta 2 hits, I rarely ever use it for anything so it can just lay in wait for the GM in the fall.
I'd like to see confirmation that this is true. If it is, I will definitely try it out. But only if I can go back to iOS6 if I fuck something up or it doesn't work. I'll wait a week to make sure. I guess it won't work on my iPod touch 4th generation else I'd use that as a testing device.

Top Bottom