• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My unanswered questions so far:

When there's only one page of icons, does the pagination dot disappear now that Spotlight has been moved?

When a wallpaper has varying shades of dark and light, what color is the text on the icons since there's no shadow now?

Now that the Newsstand app is apparently an app, can we finally put it in a folder?

Does the 3D wallpaper effect work on an iPhone 4S or an iPad mini?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Did they remove the weather and share widgets from notification centre?

I can't see a way to enable them anywhere and notification centre is now this weird 'Today' screen.

hirokazu

I see there's already people on the Apple developer forums complaining that they paid someone to have their UDID added and it's not working. sigh.

That aside am I the only one who thinks 'Mavericks' is a terrible name? It's Microsoftesque. I would have preferred Sea Lion.

Mavericks just sounds like a sports team to me. Sea Lion is really stupid though. :p

ramyeon

Now that the Newsstand app is apparently an app, can we finally put it in a folder?
Yes, thank god.

tHI31VM.png

I see there's already people on the Apple developer forums complaining that they paid someone to have their UDID added and it's not working. sigh.

That aside am I the only one who thinks 'Mavericks' is a terrible name? It's Microsoftesque. I would have preferred Sea Lion.

That's because the old way of doing any kind of custom version of iOS had you do Shift > Restore to select the ispw. This time you have to do Option > Check for Update. That's why a lot of people are getting confused.

I'd like to see confirmation that this is true. If it is, I will definitely try it out. But only if I can go back to iOS6 if I fuck something up or it doesn't work. I'll wait a week to make sure. I guess it won't work on my iPod touch 4th generation else I'd use that as a testing device.

My iPhone 4 is updating to iOS 7 right now, and I didn't register it with jack. I'm probably gonna wait till Beta 2 comes out before I try it on my 5, in case Apple closes the loophole and it bricks the phone.

When there's only one page of icons, does the pagination dot disappear now that Spotlight has been moved?

When a wallpaper has varying shades of dark and light, what color is the text on the icons since there's no shadow now?

As soon as my 4 is done updating I'll answer all of these for you, except it'll be a while before we know if the iPad Mini (or any iPad for that matter) can do the parallax home screen.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I like what I've seen of Command Center, but it sucks that I found Zephyr + Auxo to be the greatest way to deal with the taskbar. Now I bet that swipe from the bottom I use for it won't be doable anymore.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like I didn't see the new swipe taskbar.

1) Don't know.

2) It's white. There is a light shadow, but it's not good enough—text is basically unreadable. That's the type of thing that will be fixed in a later beta.

3) Yes.

4) I suspect yes on 4S as it's still a pretty killer phone. I've heard no transparency/foggy glass on iPhone 4. iPad mini (or any other iPad) doesn't support iOS 7 yet, but I'm sure it will have the effect as it's powerful and doesn't even have to drive a Retina display.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As soon as my 4 is done updating I'll answer all of these for you, except it'll be a while before we know if the iPad Mini (or any iPad for that matter) can do the parallax home screen.
No iPad version yet? No wonder there haven't been screenshots or videos.

I do look forward to more impressions and possibly trying it out myself once I'm sure I won't screw up my $650 Virgin iPhone beyond recovery.

hirokazu

I'm seeing a bunch of people reporting online that you don't need to register your UDID to use the iOS 7 beta. People have reportedly done it with the 4, 4S, and the 5. There's no telling if it'll brick once beta 2 hits, or if Apple just decided to say "fuck it" since so many people broke the rules, or what. But apparently you just Option > Restore and use the iOS 7 ispw file and it's good to go. Even seen multiple people on GAF do it this way.

Gonna try it on my old iPhone 4 because even if it does brick once Beta 2 hits, I rarely ever use it for anything so it can just lay in wait for the GM in the fall.

Interesting. Please let me know how it goes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The dots disappear when there's only one page. Looks clean.
Nice! I look forward to finally cramming everything onto one page on my phone and iPad.

I'm just wondering why pages in folders are now 9 icons at a time. I mean I know that it makes it look more correctly when looking at the icon, but still. As long as there's no low limit to the number of icons I can't wait to put everything into one screen finally with no overflow. (I'm really anal about that. I don't even like having two pages in LaunchPad on ML.)

Really can't wait to hopefully see the 3D wallpaper effect on an iPad. It's gonna look amazing I bet. I would hope a 4S could support it since we support the shiny volume knob in Music and it's really as simple as an X and Y variable offset based on the X and Y values of the gyroscope sensor.

No iPad version yet? No wonder there haven't been screenshots or videos.

I do look forward to more impressions and possibly trying it out myself once I'm sure I won't screw up my $650 Virgin iPhone beyond recovery.

They've just said the iPad version will be available "later". I am hoping this means with Ive at the helm, iOS will finally start to fracture and the iPad version will become its own unique animal with features specifically tailored to it.

hirokazu

My iPhone 4 is updating to iOS 7 right now, and I didn't register it with jack. I'm probably gonna wait till Beta 2 comes out before I try it on my 5, in case Apple closes the loophole and it bricks the phone.

The update should work no problem, I'm pretty sure you get an error when trying to activate the phone after the update is installed if the UUID isn't registered. Let me know if that's not the case! Thanks!

Blackhead

Redarse
*Ugh* spot the icon that doesn't fit in the theme:

this beta has some ways to go.

The white space is good, props to Ive for making a default look nice with the silver iPhone. But if iPhone 5S (or the budget iPhone) is coming in multiple colors how's this going to work out?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The update should work no problem, I'm pretty sure you get an error when trying to activate the phone after the update is installed if the UUID isn't registered. Let me know if that's not the case!
I'm curious. Does iTunes tell you BEFORE it installs the beta whether it's going to work or will it install then say "Oops! You're not registered! Now you're fucked!"?

The Whistler beta was fun, but it's California locations from here on out. 10.10 Bakersfield maybe?
Whistler also looked a lot nicer and cleaner and more sophisticated than XP ended up looking. Whistler was in beta around the time I jumped ship to the Macintosh side. Apple's was just shinier and more tasty looking at the time. XP ended up looking like Fisher Price. At that point I knew I made the right decision.

numble

This item from the iOS 7 release notes got me a chuckle:

Car Display
Known Issues:
Support for Car Display will be provided once compatible systems are available.

Why did they announce it if compatible systems aren't coming until 2014? Especially since they aren't opening up to developers yet. Maybe they will open up to developers within the year?

Pretty much the same as phone calls.

Thanks!

hirokazu

I'm curious. Does iTunes tell you BEFORE it installs the beta whether it's going to work or will it install then say "Oops! You're not registered! Now you're fucked!"?

Whistler also looked a lot nicer and cleaner and more sophisticated than XP ended up looking. Whistler was in beta around the time I jumped ship to the Macintosh side. Apple's was just shinier and more tasty looking at the time. XP ended up looking like Fisher Price. At that point I knew I made the right decision.

As far as I know, the latter.

The update should work no problem, I'm pretty sure you get an error when trying to activate the phone after the update is installed if the UUID isn't registered. Let me know if that's not the case!

Oh, well, I won't know how that goes at all then, because my iPhone 4 has just been operating as an iPod/backup iPhone. It has no SIM card in it.

But from all the other posts I've seen on the interwebs (at least two here on GAF, and like 10+ elsewhere) there hasn't been a problem activating it. My main concern is that it's a loophole that Apple will close for beta 2, bricking every phone that has beta 1 without a registered UDID.

The first one. Before it starts any update to your phone it verifies the update with Apple. It's a two-step process, first it says "Verifying Update with Apple" and then it says "Verifying iPhone Software" and only after it checks out does it start installing.

My install just finished, BTW.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The white space is good, props to Ive for making a default look nice with the silver iPhone
Until now I was a proponent of the black iPhone 5. (I have a white iPhone 4S) because I didn't think the white 5 looked good enough. But iOS7 actually makes me think the white 5 looks better. Especially the front where the screen is. The back was always my problem as it looked weird. But I dunno anymore. I might go White next time too.

Terrell

I'm super-late to this party, but I have a crush on Craig and dat hair now. So many Forstall/skeumorphism potshots... really knew the way to my heart, that man.
But aside from my personal crush, he was just entertaining without there being a deficit in content. Hope to see tons more of him.

Yeah, seems like beta 2 or maybe the release candidate is when the Fisher Price came it, but it was pretty weird. Even odder that it became so normal and accepted.

Overall I'm super happy with the new OS X and excited to see how iOS improves through the betas. I wish they'd have handled remote views and stuff in 7, but that has to be something tackled in 8.

So I guess I'll buy a 5S and jailbreak it, reskin it, and live with whatever performance issues.

Assuming there will be a jailbreak in any timely fashion is a leap at this point. It's only becoming harder to find ways in as each issue gets patched and overall security advances.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope once iOS7's UI is refined enough the best parts of it make their way into OS X. Whether it's before Maverick releases or next year when iOS 8 and OS X Valley Girl are revealed.

hirokazu

Oh, well, I won't know how that goes at all then, because my iPhone 4 has just been operating as an iPod/backup iPhone. It has no SIM card in it.

But from all the other posts I've seen on the interwebs (at least two here on GAF, and like 10+ elsewhere) there hasn't been a problem activating it. My main concern is that it's a loophole that Apple will close for beta 2, bricking every phone that has beta 1 without a registered UDID.

The first one. Before it starts any update to your phone it verifies the update with Apple. It's a two-step process, first it says "Verifying Update with Apple" and then it says "Verifying iPhone Software" and only after it checks out does it start installing.

My install just finished, BTW.

Hmmm. Are you able to put any SIM card in to test? I think if it throws a UUID error, it doesn't allow you to access anything, not just lock you out of cellular reception. So if you do have access to stuff, maybe it really does work?

EDIT: This is the error that shows up after updating if the UUID is not registered for iOS5 and I think also 6:
ios5_issues.png

numble

Looking at all the issues in the iOS 7 beta release notes, I'm feeling like the next iPhone will launch later than the iPhone 5 launched last year.

The Real Abed said:
From the release notes:

‣ Blurred layers are not available on iPhone 4.
‣ Parallax is not available on iPhone 4.
‣ Letterpress text is not available on iPhone 4.

subrock

For people with developer access apple has started posting non-keynote WWDC videos. Just about to watch the Platforms State of the Union.
It's a super good video but gets into some developer nitty gritty. Going to take a lot of those findings to work tomorrow.

Ok couple of notes:

-You can now apparently swipe left or right to unlock the phone, and your thumb can be anywhere on the screen to do it.

-There's some kind of glitch happening with my background where it loads but doesn't animate all the way to full screen, so it's stuck at like half-size in the back.

-No parallax icons.

-The Command Center or whatever it's called IS transparent, but it's not the same level of frosted glass that it is on the iPhone 5.

-Animations going in and out of apps are waaaay cool now. OMG I love it I'm just tapping back and forth it looks fantastic why has this captivated me in such a way!?

-Clock is totally a live tile now.

My iPhone 4 is slow as fuuuuuuck because I forgot to wipe it before installing iOS 7, so I just did a "Reset All Content And Settings" from the Settings menu, hopefully that will speed things up.

Edit: Now it's theoretically going to give itself a fresh install, or whatever happens after you wipe an iPhone and then turn it back on. This has at least been a fun adventure. Don't know WTF will become of my iPhone though, might have to DFW it after all or something? Who knows, I'll keep y'all updated.

Some of the color schemes look bad. Like calendars. Also, calendars and some other apps have way too much white space. Otherwise looks like a solid refresh of the OS.

iOS_7_calendar.jpg

iOS7.messages.jpg

YUCK! Too much white and bad color scheme.

hirokazu

My iPhone 4 is slow as fuuuuuuck because I forgot to wipe it before installing iOS 7, so I just did a "Reset All Content And Settings" from the Settings menu, hopefully that will speed things up.

Edit: Now it's theoretically going to give itself a fresh install, or whatever happens after you wipe an iPhone and then turn it back on. This has at least been a fun adventure. Don't know WTF will become of my iPhone though, might have to DFW it after all or something? Who knows, I'll keep y'all updated.

Well looks like it's working OK for you without UUID. I'm gonna risk it and give it a go on my iPhone 5 when I get home. I'll report back!

I'll also take back calling out those who claimed that such a thing was possible trolls and liars earlier.

numble

The WWDC Platforms Kickoff video goes into a lot of detail into the nitty gritty of the new UI for those who can't play with the UI themselves.

Things were a little touch and go there for a few minutes after I wiped the phone, but it's all up and running now.

AH DAMNATION, since there's no SIM in it, it won't activate, so it has iOS 7 all ready to go but I can't get around not having a SIM. Maaaaannnnnnn!!

I wonder, would I be able to put my old SIM in, activate the phone, then just take it out again? And my iPhone 5 would go back to being my normal phone? Eehhhhh this is treading into territories I don't much care to go into :\

Well looks like it's working OK for you without UUID. I'm gonna risk it and give it a go on my iPhone 5 when I get home. I'll report back!

I'll also take back calling out those who claimed that such a thing was possible trolls and liars earlier.

Option + Update

Option + Restore will not work.

Piper Az

My gut reaction was "it's too childish...almost too much toy-like design" They should release a second theme for business type people.

Top Bottom