• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

subrock

Allow me to warn you all against using Mavericks just yet. I just went through a 3 hour time capsule restore because it was causing a few crucial apps to crash over and over. Nothing much to see there anyway.

subrock

My gut reaction was "it's too childish...almost too much toy-like design" They should release a second theme for business type people.

you mean the group of people that don't give 2 shits about good design? I think they have 3 other mobile platforms for that.

mrkgoo

I want to replace my 2010 MBP but the price is still cray. Base price is not awful but I need 512GB + 8GB RAM. And then it gets cray, considering that it would still be a downgrade from my 1TB Fusion drive (and 8GB of RAM as well).

Dammmmmitttt

Bring on the MBPr Haswell update.

You have an iMac with 8gb + fusion? I'm thinking of getting one as a replacement for my dead MBP. What do you think about it? 8gb enough? Which iMac is it? Do you think the low end 640m is a decent graphics card?

My biggest use will be aperture. I was using a 2.4ghz core2duo non-unibody, so I'm pretty sure anything will be better.

ugh. The background I made and loved on my 5 looks awful on the new OS.

I really like iOS 7, but think they need a dark/light theme.

I don't like the white opaque folders, wish it was a darker grey/black and opaque.

Also I had an idea, I thought it would be awesome if the lock screen numbers would randomize so you never have the same pattern for security. Would be cool as an extra option.

The best thing about the new design is it's exactly the same in every way as the old design as far as how things are structured, etc.

So much for starting fresh.

It's pretty hilarious that this is what took them so long to come up with.

The best thing about the new design is it's exactly the same in every way as the old design as far as how things are structured, etc.

Well, what structural changes were needed? I wanted a setting for default apps and some deeper file sharing between apps, but I don't think that's what you're discussing.

In terms of interaction, they stole from webOS, Mailbox, Reeder, Chrome, etc. They added a lot of the good stuff that developers had created that we all wanted as default behavior.

numble

From WWDC Platforms Kickoff, Crytek demonstrates (unannounced?) iPhone game running with game controller.
nxB7M44l.jpg

YLBsNMEl.jpg

mNlNUlsl.jpg

I feel like this is being terribly disingenuous to Ive and his team. It's not like iOS 7 is years in the making. Forstall just got the boot not even a year ago. This is more of what Ive was able to throw together in a very very limited amount of time. As everyone surmised, iOS 8 will be where he really is able to flex his control. Nobody even thought that iOS 7 would have this radical of a visual overhaul.

I wonder why the iPad as a console hasn't really been tried. I mean you place it on a stand and get an external controller and you have a portable console that you can play wherever. Obviously it's tough to play on the go, but if you don't want to shell out $500 for the new Xbox or Playstation you can get a console-esque experience with something that you already have.

Blackhead

Redarse
Only works swiping from left to right for me, but anywhere on the screen is correct.

I keep thinking it's swipe up because of that caret right beneath the text. Kinda confusing.

Well, what structural changes were needed? I wanted a setting for default apps and some deeper file sharing between apps, but I don't think that's what you're discussing.

In terms of interaction, they stole from webOS, Mailbox, Reeder, Chrome, etc. They added a lot of the good stuff that developers had created that we all wanted as default behavior.

no mention of jailbreak developers :p. Our very own Sentry's designs foreshadowed a lot of what's in iOS7. Apple stole a lot of features but they just changed how iOS looks and feels, not how it works though. It doesn't work like webOS cards, it just looks like it.

Joshua Topolsky weighs in...
The design of iOS 7: simply confusing
The Verge said:
What I saw today at Apple's annual WWDC event in the new iOS 7 was a radical departure from the previous design of the company's operating system — what CEO Tim Cook called "a stunning new user interface." But whether this new design is actually good design, well, that's a different story entirely...

*snip*

Apple is showing that it can adapt, borrow, and tweak ideas from the competition. That it can expand what iOS feels and looks like, as well as what it can do. The problem now is that it seems to be buckling a bit under the weight of an end-to-end redesign. I'm hopeful that in the next few months as Apple ramps up for the introduction of new hardware at its fall event, some of the design and functionality issues that have yet to be addressed will be nipped and tucked. And perhaps the designers and engineers in Cupertino will revisit simply bad design decisions, like those obstructing notifications or the cluttered Control Center.

Until then, however, at least Apple fans and foes have something new to argue about.

Quick

Banned
I wonder why the iPad as a console hasn't really been tried. I mean you place it on a stand and get an external controller and you have a portable console that you can play wherever. Obviously it's tough to play on the go, but if you don't want to shell out $500 for the new Xbox or Playstation you can get a console-esque experience with something that you already have.

And they could probably make some extra money from selling an "Official Apple Gaming Stand". :lol

And they could probably make some extra money from selling an "Official Apple Gaming Stand". :lol

They already have one, which might be the genius part:

images

Edit: And with Airplay, you can wirelessly hook up the iPad to a TV so you can play on the big screen. I mean Apple already has all the trappings of a home console, they just need the controller. Seriously, someone needs to push this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Cannot wait for some official controllers appear. I always considered an iCade controller but hated how it was only supported by certain game makers. So now it's official I hope it makes its way into every game. I might actually use my iPhone and iPad mini for gaming again. At least ones that work better with real controls. Would be nice if the Wolfenstein and DOOM ports all get updated. Same with GTA: Vice City and MineCraft PE.

Just give me a small iPhone controller that's adjustable and maybe can fit on the iPad mini or a second one that fits on the mini (Or make the one for the iPhone work stand-alone) and I will be happy. Especially with the iPhone one. If only Nintendo were third-party. I wouldn't even need a 3DS.

Jonogunn

surprised they didn't do more to iMessages. These days, messaging apps can send photos/videos, make calls, custom emoticons, send locations, send contacts, audio messages, and more. Yet iMessages can only...send photos/videos.

Nicktendo86

So, if you swipe up on the lock screen now does that mean you can't access the control centre on the lock screen?

This new swipe from the left gesture to go back, will that work for all apps or just apple ones? If for all, what about apps that swipe from the left to open pages?

This looks like a bit of a mess to me, and an ugly one. Verrrry obvious 'inspiration' from android, even down to the phase beam live wallpaper!

jts

...hate me...
You have an iMac with 8gb + fusion? I'm thinking of getting one as a replacement for my dead MBP. What do you think about it? 8gb enough? Which iMac is it? Do you think the low end 640m is a decent graphics card?

My biggest use will be aperture. I was using a 2.4ghz core2duo non-unibody, so I'm pretty sure anything will be better.
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz C2D as well, with Nvidia 320m), which I've removed the optical drive to install a 2nd hard drive, and thus, by putting together a 250GB SSD and a 750GB mechanical drive, by the powers of CoreStorage I've created a custom Fusion Drive.

Also bumped the RAM to 8GB,

So I can't really answer about the iMac.

My MBP feels pretty much maxed out and it's so good at some things like powering up, file operations, etc. But when it needs to flex its CPU muscle it kinda shows its age (although it still feels faster than whatever old PC I would have in the past after 2 or 3 years of usage).

My main gripes are not even about performance, it's:
Portability. Feels heavy man.
Battery life. Not as godly anymore. Gotta carry my charger around and that also bites into portability.
Display resolution and display quality. I'm spoiled by the IPS iOS displays.
No AirPlay video mirroring.
Custom fusion drive doesn't support hibernation or whatever name it uses on OS X,

So the Air addresses most if not all of these quite nicely. Too bad it lacks IPS. When my wallet is ready it will compete with the MBP retina for my money.

Someone post that iOS 7 wallpaper from the keynote.

http://images.apple.com/home/images/osx_hero_2x.jpg
I feel like this is being terribly disingenuous to Ive and his team. It's not like iOS 7 is years in the making. Forstall just got the boot not even a year ago. This is more of what Ive was able to throw together in a very very limited amount of time. As everyone surmised, iOS 8 will be where he really is able to flex his control. Nobody even thought that iOS 7 would have this radical of a visual overhaul.
That's fine but him selling it as ground up whatever was a little silly. If he doesn't want people judging by that standard, don't set yourself that way.

ramyeon

So, if you swipe up on the lock screen now does that mean you can't access the control centre on the lock screen?

This new swipe from the left gesture to go back, will that work for all apps or just apple ones? If for all, what about apps that swipe from the left to open pages?

This looks like a bit of a mess to me, and an ugly one. Verrrry obvious 'inspiration' from android, even down to the phase beam live wallpaper!
It's still swipe to the right to unlock, but from anywhere on the screen.

Swiping up opens control center, swiping down opens notification center.

The swipe to go back will only work in apps that are coded to do so I'd assume, so far that is the case anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So, has anyone tried out Mavericks yet? I'm curious to see how close it is and what they haven't changed yet.

I'm really curious about the Skeuomorphism. Has it been removed completely? What about the Dock? Isn't that technically skeuomorphism? They removed the glass in iOS 7. Would they do the same for OS X? Edit: Looking at a thread on MacRumors, it's half removed. Linen is gone. Notes is plain colors. The Dock is no longer 3D but is now 2D rounded. LaunchPad looks awesome now with open folders. Game Center and Reminders are still the same.
Screenshots here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1593363

I would love to install it on a test machine. I would put it on my Air but it would replace my recovery partition which becomes a pain in the ass later. (I don't know if it's easy to erase it completely to start over.)

ramyeon

So even though I load music onto my device it won't show in Artist view (That keeps showing that I have no content) but only on song view or album view :/

I installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. Played around with it as a fresh install for a bit but I missed all my settings and apps so I'm restoring all my old stuff now. It is SMOOTH AS FUCK. The scrolling, the animations for going in and out of apps, everything is lightning fast and quick as hot grease. And it looks sooooooooo much nicer on the 5 than it does on the 4, oh my gosh.

Burger

If I put my UUID on my works dev account and update my iPhone4 to the beta, can I downgrade it back to iOS6 if it sucks?

hirokazu

Things were a little touch and go there for a few minutes after I wiped the phone, but it's all up and running now.

AH DAMNATION, since there's no SIM in it, it won't activate, so it has iOS 7 all ready to go but I can't get around not having a SIM. Maaaaannnnnnn!!

I wonder, would I be able to put my old SIM in, activate the phone, then just take it out again? And my iPhone 5 would go back to being my normal phone? Eehhhhh this is treading into territories I don't much care to go into :\

You can activate iPhones with inactive SIMs, yes.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Missed this because of E3 and gaf sucking but man, iOS 7 is beautiful.

I really like the transparency effects they have going on. I didn't get it at first but when you see it in action it makes perfect sense.

There's a depth to the screen now that is kinda 3d but not. I don't know how to describe it really but I like it.

There's a depth to the screen now that is kinda 3d but not. I don't know how to describe it really but I like it.

Reminds me of that head-tracking tech demo a guy set up with the Wii remote that simulated depth according to how you were looking at the screen, really cool stuff.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of that head-tracking tech demo a guy set up with the Wii remote that simulated depth according to how you were looking at the screen, really cool stuff.

that homescreen thing was cool but I just mean generally. It feels like the screen is built in layers instead of just being a flat image. It's subtle but it gives everything a nice depth.

It's colourful and playful without being garish. I think they've struck a nice balance.

Seeing how Apple didn't bother to show the iPad version at all, I'm just going to install a Winterboard theme rip-off and keep my jailbreak.

mrkgoo

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz C2D as well, with Nvidia 320m), which I've removed the optical drive to install a 2nd hard drive, and thus, by putting together a 250GB SSD and a 750GB mechanical drive, by the powers of CoreStorage I've created a custom Fusion Drive.

Also bumped the RAM to 8GB,

So I can't really answer about the iMac.

My MBP feels pretty much maxed out and it's so good at some things like powering up, file operations, etc. But when it needs to flex its CPU muscle it kinda shows its age (although it still feels faster than whatever old PC I would have in the past after 2 or 3 years of usage).

My main gripes are not even about performance, it's:
Portability. Feels heavy man.
Battery life. Not as godly anymore. Gotta carry my charger around and that also bites into portability.
Display resolution and display quality. I'm spoiled by the IPS iOS displays.
No AirPlay video mirroring.
Custom fusion drive doesn't support hibernation or whatever name it uses on OS X,

So the Air addresses most if not all of these quite nicely. Too bad it lacks IPS. When my wallet is ready it will compete with the MBP retina for my money.

Ah, I see. Thanks anyway.

I had an old 2008 non-unibody MacBook Pro that has just died. I recently put in a 1tb sshd hybrid, and that was fine but like you processor was showing its age and battery was probably max a couple hours. Time to move on and up!

I like the idea of fusion. So you can just put one each and have it work - do you need to do some software jiggery?

FerranMG

Is there any site that has made a compilation of all the changes iOS 7 brings so far?

I always love to read about minor details that I'd probably missed if not specifically told to look there.

Something very subtle that I noticed that I actually really like: when you turn the phone on and off with the lock button, it doesn't just immediately shut off. It kind of.. powers up/down now.

antispin

So, for iOS7: is the white UI the only option or do you get a night-friendly color combination? I do a lot of reading while the missus sleeps, and that much of white, my eyes can't take.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So, for iOS7: is the white UI the only option or do you get a night-friendly color combination? I do a lot of reading while the missus sleeps, and that much of white, my eyes can't take.

As much as I'd like a darker option I get the feeling that unless you want to look at the compass in bed you'll be out of luck.

Top Bottom