• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Shearie

-The safari app is great. Appreciate the added space now that the bottom bar tucks away when your browsing, as well as the one search/address bar at the top. Nice and streamlined. In saying that they seem to have chosen a bizarre look for the way you switch between multiple web pages. They've supposed to simplified things, yet they have this shitty tilt shift effect that runs like shit and looks like ass all in one. The OG one in iOS 6 was a lot better than this.

Since they upped the number of open tabs, the tilt view is a faster way of going through them. I personally think it looks nice.

Valid reasons, but when you already have Notification Center coming from the top, it's a bit convoluted. Seems to be a complication Apple is usually good at avoiding.

actually, once you see it working, its a better way to get spotlight than before. pulling down to refresh or search is very common in apps these days so its not something users wont be familiar with. its intuitive. also as mentioned earlier, it helps to access spotlight no matter what homescreen youre in.

I agree that shadows seem to have a lot to do with it, but I also think a lot of the icons are just plainly half-assed.

I also think it's a mistake to throw away everything for the sake of it, including the UI icons from before that worked and looked just fine. Something like this:

ios7-maps.png

(from http://dribbble.com/shots/1109500-iOS-7)

would achieve what they're going for so much better, imo.

Like, why change the signal bars to circles? everyone knew what they meant and they looked fine. I'm just baffled at a lot of the design decisions.

oh man, the glass works SO MUCH BETTER with shadows. also the icons looked like they were changed for the sake of change. its dumb. old maps icons look so much better.

i hope apple adds shadows to add a bit more depth to the glass and icons.

Smeghead

Since they upped the number of open tabs, the tilt view is a faster way of going through them. I personally think it looks nice.
Dunno, maybe it's because it runs so shit on iPhone 4 and the fact that i rarely have more the 3 tabs open at a time anyway.

Would have much preferred something similar to the multitasking view.

Fuchsdh

actually, once you see it working, its a better way to get spotlight than before. pulling down to refresh or search is very common in apps these days so its not something users wont be familiar with. its intuitive. also as mentioned earlier, it helps to access spotlight no matter what homescreen youre in.

oh man, the glass works SO MUCH BETTER with shadows. also the icons looked like they were changed for the sake of change. its dumb. old maps icons look so much better.

i hope apple adds shadows to add a bit more depth to the glass and icons.

I'm betting (and hoping) that iOS 7 is to iOS what OS 10.0 was to OS X. There were a lot of elements that simply weren't that refined and a bit garish; and I say that as someone who *likes* pinstripes and hated the general drift away from color that's taken hold since 10.5; ideal OS X GUI for me is the unified look of 10.4, albeit in an alternate universe where the fat-bordered abomination of Brushed metal was never invented.

zychi

Banned
I wish Apple would make InfinitFolders(jailbreak that lets you put ALL of your apps into one folder) a reality on ios7. I like all of my apps besides the 4 I use regularly(text,music,phone and twitter) in a nice clean look.

Why is this so hard Apple? Android has its "App screen", why can;t ios do InfiniFolder regularly?

giga

I wish Apple would make InfinitFolders(jailbreak that lets you put ALL of your apps into one folder) a reality on ios7. I like all of my apps besides the 4 I use regularly(text,music,phone and twitter) in a nice clean look.

Why is this so hard Apple? Android has its "App screen", why can;t ios do InfiniFolder regularly?
They did.

LCfiner

We can't talk about iOS 7? It's officially announced.

Unless you're joking.

stuff that hasn't been shown but people are seeing and talking about as part of dev builds are covered by NDA.

but every news site gets the beta and talks about changes anyway. only serious devs seem to follow it.

I couldn't figure out how you close apps from the multi tasking window, just watched the Apple video again, you have to swipe up on the window preview.

Quick

Banned
stuff that hasn't been shown but people are seeing and talking about as part of dev builds are covered by NDA.

but every news site gets the beta and talks about changes anyway. only serious devs seem to follow it.

We're not devs, and the discussion would be about iOS 7 in general. Plus, there's the iOS 7 beta begging thread. I think it's okay. But I'll leave it up to the higher ups to decide, but I wouldn't mind making an OT for iOS 7, like there is for iOS 6.

I couldn't figure out how you close apps from the multi tasking window, just watched the Apple video again, you have to swipe up on the window preview.

I love the new multitasking window, but swiping down seems more natural. If anything, they should have it available to swipe up or down to close an app.

DarkJC

All things considered they did an amazing job. What a deadline. It can only get better from here with some more polish.

Dany

Banned
All things considered they did an amazing job. What a deadline. It can only get better from here with some more polish.

For sure, there are some UI button prompts (or whatever they are called) that could be fixed and hopefully some icon changes :p

Maybe this is the wrong thread for my question, but I'll ask anyway. I had an iPhone for years before switching to Android a few months ago. I'm still really new to their ecosystem, so I'm wondering if they hold their own press event to discuss changes and improvements to the Android UI?

I was really impressed by iOS 7, and it would've neat to see if any of the updates make their way to Android.

Do we know they started from scratch with a new team? Not actually doubting you (I'm guessing the UI rethink has been a project since day one of Ive's recent tenure in software), but Chan's been at Apple for a while and I suspect any project (no matter when it started) would have been in constant crunch mode for the last six months.

Totally agree. I think the isolation of the team has a lot to do with the rough edges as far as assets go—I keep thinking we're going to find out (through a well-placed leak to Gruber or something) that the iconography is still a WIP. The broader opinions within Apple are going to mean some changes and the developer community (certainly the types who win Apple Design Awards) will have their voices heard to friends high and low in the company this week at WWDC.

I laughed.

giga

Do we know they started from scratch with a new team? Not actually doubting you (I'm guessing the UI rethink has been a project since day one of Ive's recent tenure in software), but Chan's been at Apple for a while and I suspect any project (no matter when it started) would have been in constant crunch mode for the last six months.
I'm only referring to the UI redesign. Perhaps the structural, z-axis changes (and the other feature additions) were planned before.

But re-doing the entire UI of an OS and its native apps within just a few months is crazy.

kaskade

Well I finally got me an Air on order! I wanted some extra RAM so I have to wait a bit longer now though. Probably won't get here until next week. Ordered it day of and still hasn't shipped out. Oh well, I waited this long already.

Any hands on with them yet though? I know there's really no crazy upgrades I just want to see how Haswell is performing in the real world.

Jonogunn

iOS 7 feels slow when switching apps, going to home screen, multitasking, and tapping the screen for pop-up controls (ie. video player). The delay is definitely noticeable and I hope this is just a beta thing.

Also I noticed another problem. When trying to rearrange apps in a folder you can move anything to the right pages. It thinks you want to move the app out of the folder instead.

But other than the bugs this new OS looks and feels GREAT!

I complained bout the looks and all too but the transitions from app to app and such feels awesome.

corn_fest

I think it's mostly because of the wallpaper being used. Plus that comparison shot has all the icons with any color in folders.

Seriously. LOL at all the similar blue icons put on the same screen. Unless they really keep the Apple Store app on their front screen at all times...

Majine

Banned
Alot of third party apps look like sore thumbs next to Apples new minimalistic ones. Hope they update the icons in time for release.

Dany

Banned
As in like? I think Safari is the worst one. :/

Also the weird bubbles in game center look totally out of place.

ramyeon

It looks a lot better after I applied a darker wallpaper imo. Kind of mutes the intense pastel colours. Functionality wise it's no competition - leagues better than iOS6. Control center and swiping to go backwards have just become second nature now, and I love being able to swipe anywhere on the lock screen to unlock instead of being limited to a small bar at the bottom.

Quick

Banned
iOS 6 vs. iOS 7 icon comparison

Only one I can't get behind is Safari.

It looks to me like they had a couple of groups design icon sets, and Ive picked what he thought were the best out of those different sets and put them together.

Icons I dislike:

Game Center - Not a fan of the bubbles.
Camera (not that I use it, Camera+ ftw) - The camera lens icon was perfect. Could've just adapted it to match the style.
Contacts - Looks a bit too plain.
Photos - Too simple.
Newsstand - Also could've adapted the design to match the style.

Everything else looks good.

KtSlime

That's not user friendly at all. Hope they change that.

Also, this looks so good on a white iPhone.... I really wanted to change up to black on my next one but I don't know if I can.

While changing established conventions for the sake of it is rarely ever user friendly, in this instance, they made it more consistent with how other applications act, such as Mail, Messages, Music, Contacts, etc, which have their search bar shown by pulling the list down.

I'm only referring to the UI redesign. Perhaps the structural, z-axis changes (and the other feature additions) were planned before.

But re-doing the entire UI of an OS and its native apps within just a few months is crazy.

Yeah, I agree. Just wasn't sure if you had confirmation on what happened with the team or something. I think Gruber said 7 months and that's pretty much crazy to think about, especially when you consider that means concept to implementation across the core OS, built-in apps and tools support. Collaboration indeed.

Heel

As in like? I think Safari is the worst one. :/

Also the weird bubbles in game center look totally out of place.

Yeah, Safari one is just odd to me.

I was going to write something about Game Center as well, but want to reserve judgement until I try it. My first impression is I'd rather have a list than moving bubbles, though. We'll see?

Someone on reddit made their own iOS 7 version. Looks way better to me.

Absolutely better.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It looks a lot better after I applied a darker wallpaper imo. Kind of mutes the intense pastel colours. Functionality wise it's no competition - leagues better than iOS6. Control center and swiping to go backwards have just become second nature now, and I love being able to swipe anywhere on the lock screen to unlock instead of being limited to a small bar at the bottom.
See, this looks so much better. The proper wallpaper and third party apps mixed in mutes things nicely.

EDIT - Wait, there's a FaceTime icon now?

Skunkers

Anyone have a link to watch/download the full keynote? The official stream on Apple's site is not working for me (even in Safari) on my Mac. It works on my iPhone but I'd rather not watch a 2 hour keynote on that. I tried searching YouTube and even the usual torrent sites and I don't see it anywhere.

ramyeon

See, this looks so much better. The proper wallpaper and third party apps mixed in mutes things nicely.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to third party apps updating their icons as well to go along with the flatter look better too.

And yep, Facetime is separated from the phone app this time to make it less confusing and easier to access. There's also audio only Facetime calls allowed that don't show any video.

mrkgoo

Anyone have a link to watch/download the full keynote? The official stream on Apple's site is not working for me (even in Safari) on my Mac. It works on my iPhone but I'd rather not watch a 2 hour keynote on that. I tried searching YouTube and even the usual torrent sites and I don't see it anywhere.
Can't you download it through iTunes?

Guess Who

Banned

There's always been a FaceTime "app" on iPod touch and iPad; probably just added it to the iPhone so iPad/iPod users aren't confused about where it is.

ramyeon

I really like the new album art display on the lock screen too, and control center being accessible from there makes it much easier to control songs than before imo.

Music app is kinda broken on this beta though and refuses to show any of my songs in the "Artist" view except one artist for some reason or another, maybe because that's the only artist I have an album from the iTunes store loaded on for.

Link

The Autumn Wind
There's always been a FaceTime "app" on iPod touch and iPad; probably just added it to the iPhone so iPad/iPod users aren't confused about where it is.
I know there was an icon on the iTouch and iPad already, but I was surprised to see it added to the iPhone, since it was integrated into the phone app.

I really like the new album art display on the lock screen too, and control center being accessible from there makes it much easier to control songs than before imo.

Music app is kinda broken on this beta though and refuses to show any of my songs in the "Artist" view except one artist for some reason or another, maybe because that's the only artist I have an album from the iTunes store loaded on for.
So can you still double-click the home button to access music controls from the lockscreen, or is that gone with Control Center now available?

ramyeon

I know there was an icon on the iTouch and iPad already, but I was surprised to see it added to the iPhone, since it was integrated into the phone app.

So can you still double-click the home button to access music controls from the lockscreen, or is that gone with Control Center now available?
You can use both now, yeah. I find CC quicker though. This is what they'll look like for now

On the lock screen, do you still slide up on the camera icon to access the camera?
Yep or you can access it from control center by swiping up from arrow at the very bottom of the screen.

The photos app is a bit iffy at the moment. I'm glad they kept a tab with the old style of viewing because my "Moments" tab is a mess. There's odd photos here and there that I've edited after taking them and show up as entirely the wrong location or date from the original time they were taken.

Top Bottom