• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Fuchsdh

Why is everyone complaining about Helvetica? Its a beautiful fucking font.
I'm surprised now that we have Retina displays on basically everything the iOS face hasn't converted to Myriad (with OS X it makes more sense since we're still years away.)

Considering legible serifs and thinner typefaces are no longer an issue I would have figured they would unify with their marketing collateral.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As in like? I think Safari is the worst one. :/

Also the weird bubbles in game center look totally out of place.
Yeah. Safari looks... weird. It's okay though since I use Chrome. Also the bubbles on Game Center do look weirdly different from the rest for some reason. Thankfully all my games will be going into a folder on my iPhone when the time comes anyway.

Someone on reddit made their own iOS 7 version. Looks way better to me.
Definitely. Much nicer. Let's hope they realize this by October. Hopefully things will be tweaked drastically by then actually. I love iOS 7 from what I've seen but there are some really odd stand-out design oddities that hopefully will be toned down by the time it releases.

I like it. I hope it makes its way into OS X by the time it's released as well. I grow tired of Lucida Grande. Time for some change.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So a new iPad wasn't announced, meaning its relatively safe to buy one now yes?
New iPad's will be out in September or October. So you make that decision yourself. Personally I wouldn't. I'd wait for Fall.

This image here of OS X...
ibq58jdyRNqsy9.png
Makes me hope that they plan on implementing this into iOS 7 as well.

Flo_Evans

I don't mind Helvetica, but there is way more to typography than just the font.

Some of the text just looks bad. It feels like half the apps are Helvetica nue and the other half are from a whole other set. It's very sloppy. Yeah beta but jeez.

numble

This image here of OS X...

Makes me hope that they plan on implementing this into iOS 7 as well.

Everything eventually gets recycled.

I'm convinced that a lot of the iOS 7 we've seen was rushed--the beta 1 release notes feels like there are a lot more bugs than first betas in the past.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Everything eventually gets recycled.

I'm convinced that a lot of the iOS 7 we've seen was rushed--the beta 1 release notes feels like there are a lot more bugs than first betas in the past.
Let's see. It's June now. We assume the release will be at the end of September-ish. So that's...about 4 months to tweak everything and get the two more in sync.

numble

Let's see. It's June now. We assume the release will be at the end of September-ish. So that's...about 4 months to tweak everything and get the two more in sync.

One additional wrinkle is that they still need to spend time just to get the iPad version up.

They also still haven't finished re-designing Voice Notes and Nike+iPod.

But I feel like if they've already designed it for Mavericks, it shouldn't be as difficult to move to iOS.

They seem to have a pretty good engineering structure in place right now considering how much movement they've been able to make (walking and chewing gum, clearly) so I'm hoping for a pretty active beta period. One thing about that is the final betas/RC will need to be stableish and API complete about a month out to allow for final app testing and submission before launch. I think that's going to be tight, but I'm surprised how stable it is right now considering how much has been done.

numble

They seem to have a pretty good engineering structure in place right now considering how much movement they've been able to make (walking and chewing gum, clearly) so I'm hoping for a pretty active beta period. One thing about that is the final betas/RC will need to be stableish and API complete about a month out to allow for final app testing and submission before launch. I think that's going to be tight, but I'm surprised how stable it is right now considering how much has been done.

One thing they've got going is that the next event and launch is not a firm date like WWDC is.

Shearie

Unfortunately not, still have to tap the "x" twice to clear them.

I love that apps automatically update in the background and then show up in notification center.

I've always wondered if there's some kind of patent for Notifications that prevents Apple from being able to do it. Seems even weirder that you can't swipe notifications away since iOS 7 is so much more swipeable now.

hEist

so, after finally playing with it and sorting. some things i would like, they could again work on:
the SAFARI ICON, serious, what they are thinking by placing such a ugly icon for it?
calendar icon, specially the spacing between 2 numbers. i know, they want to use helvetica everythere, but somehow the font is misplaced here.
The contacts icon, so ugly. god damn. Icons like wheather and passbook are so simple and so beautiful. why not the others?

something i would like to so for the lockscreen: autochange-color of the lockclock, while checking which color the backgroundimage got. if you got a b/w image on the background(like me) you can't really see the clock (yeah, my fault, but why not help the user?)

the bottombar on the screen: make it more vibrant or "3D", specially with the parallax effect.
Custom functions in the control-center (replace timer/calc), setting another camera app as a default app.

The transation while opening an app (which have a notification badge) is ugly because of the notification badge, fix this.

I would like to see, that they will bring Messages and Mail into ONE App, somehow.

Sean

Banned
I really love iOS7 personally but I think this is going to be a disaster (confusing as hell) for normal folk. If I handed this to my mom or dad they'd probably be completely lost.

Sliding to unlock the lockscreen is confusing (I think everyone will swipe up from the bottom since there's an arrow pointing up right near the text).

Switches don't have labels anymore.

It's harder to tell what's a button in the top bar since it blends in with the title text up there.

If you're scrolling through hundreds of photos in camera roll real fast you might find yourself accidentally invoking Control Center (at least I do).

Some of the new toolbar icons (share especially) are sort of unclear.

Swipe to delete action has been reversed (because of the new back gesture which is great, but it's still sorta confusing).

A lot of the search fields (like the app store search tab) are nearly invisible on first glance - white search on white background.

Multi-tasking has no red close button and it's not immediately clear you can swipe them away.

The blue dot near app titles isn't quite as clear as the "NEW" badge that used to be on the icon itself.

Normal users will probably never find Spotlight and just think it's been removed. I like this implementation much better (since you can access it from any page of the homescreen rather than swiping all the way to the left) but even I didn't know how to find it until reading about it.

Lots of small things that just make iOS a bit harder to use.

I really don't like the approach they took just for the sake of change. They did not add any new functionality in the icons besides the Clock. Every other icon is still old and static now just flat. The design language is all over the place.

The whole OS is really flat and takes away some of the nice things that came detailed in previous versions like the Safari icon in iOS 6. I mean it looks like some one created the new icon in ms paint. Then there's notification center which feels awkward and there is no design consistency like the new whether app, it just display the whether in plain text without any iconography. The control center is really busy. It would have been better if they did something like once you pull it from the bottom it would show one row and continues to give the user some hint that there's more and then you swipe again and it showed a little more. And if you swiped all the way like the camera app on lock screen it would show all the controls at once. Then there is spotlight. What advantage or ease of use or problem they are trying to solve by now going left on the home screen? How the swipe down is better then the previous functional and approachable spotlight tab?

Apple is pointing to the fact that they completely redesigned the OS which is mostly false. They had 6 years of iterations behind them. To me it feels like mostly a skin and not a very good one. Maybe they'll refine it a bit till release. Some of the refinements I have seen shared in the topic look better imo.

mrkgoo

I was listening to the latest mac break weekly and Leo Laporte implied that some features such as timer coalescing and appnap were haswell -related. This is wrong, right? It says on the apple page that the tests were done on a 1.8ghz MacBook Air, which aren't the haswell chipsets ...

That is that is all software stuff for any mac that can run mavericks?

They then go on to question whether the new MacBook Air power gains are solely due to hardware and how much is to do with such new software, but the new MacBook airs can't be shipping or tested with mavericks, surely?

(Yeah I know that the mac break weekly show has never been about technical accuracy)

(Yeah I know that the mac break weekly show has never been about technical accuracy)

Leo does so many shows, it's obvious that he can't keep up with the stuff. Mostly the guests or the chat room will try to correct him.

The gains in battery life in the new Airs are due to bigger battery and Haswell. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2013+Teardown/15042/1

Haswell have more power states and deeper sleep states. So you it would be hardware (Haswell) plus software (Maveriks). http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06/how-os-x-mavericks-works-its-power-saving-magic/

mrkgoo

I really love iOS7 personally but I think this is going to be a disaster (confusing as hell) for normal folk. If I handed this to my mom or dad they'd probably be completely lost.

Sliding to unlock the lockscreen is confusing (I think everyone will swipe up from the bottom since there's an arrow pointing up right near the text).

Switches don't have labels anymore.

It's harder to tell what's a button in the top bar since it blends in with the title text up there.

If you're scrolling through hundreds of photos in camera roll real fast you might find yourself accidentally invoking Control Center (at least I do).

Some of the new toolbar icons (share especially) are sort of unclear.

Swipe to delete action has been reversed (because of the new back gesture which is great, but it's still sorta confusing).

A lot of the search fields (like the app store search tab) are nearly invisible on first glance - white search on white background.

Multi-tasking has no red close button and it's not immediately clear you can swipe them away.

The blue dot near app titles isn't quite as clear as the "NEW" badge that used to be on the icon itself.

Normal users will probably never find Spotlight and just think it's been removed. I like this implementation much better (since you can access it from any page of the homescreen rather than swiping all the way to the left) but even I didn't know how to find it until reading about it.

Lots of small things that just make iOS a bit harder to use.

Those are all fine points for the most part, but while I do think that iOS has been stagnant for the sole purpose of being familiar and easy for new folks, there comes a time when you reach critical mass and you have to move forward. That time is now.

Back 6 and a half years ago, the iPhone had to prove its worth. It had to demonstrate how to be used by having familiarity with real world things and standard computing. And with a touch interface. This meant obvious buttons. Sliders with arrows. Shadows etc.

Today, in a world where most people are completely familiar with touch interfaces, at least enough to know what might be a button and what might not be (and at least have the confidence to try tapping something), it's less necessary.

Hence the disappearance of things like buttons may jot be as a hinderance to many people.

I still think ya important to be familiar and discoverable to maintain 'mum and dad' users, and while ios7 may get closer to crossing that line I don't think they have crossed it yet.

I guess my mum will be the gauge. She's a new iPad and iPhone user, never uses multitasking etc. currently she thinks it looks a bit complex, but we'll see in use.

Switches don't need labels - green is pretty universal for on, right?

Also, discarding cards might be a one time teach thing. That said, my parents never use the multitasking bar and even if they did, they'd probably never close anything anyway.

mrkgoo

Leo does so many shows, it's obvious that he can't keep up with the stuff. Mostly the guests or the chat room will try to correct him.

The gains in battery life in the new Airs are due to bigger battery and Haswell. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2013+Teardown/15042/1

Haswell have more power states and deeper sleep states. So you it would be hardware (Haswell) plus software (Maveriks).

Leo himself, sure. Also typically Andy tends to be on the ball and listening to question anything. René is so awesome - he's brought a legitimacy to the show that hasn't been there for ages before he came aboard. Thig is this episode they have a couple of technical people there that didn't say anything about what I pointed out.

But yeah I imagine the mavericks technologies are open to any mac that runs it, not specific hardware configs?

And that power savings in the new MacBooks aren't due to mavericks since they don't ship with it.

numble

Leo himself, sure. Also typically Andy tends to be on the ball and listening to question anything. René is so awesome - he's brought a legitimacy to the show that hasn't been there for ages before he came aboard. Thig is this episode they have a couple of technical people there that didn't say anything about what I pointed out.

But yeah I imagine the mavericks technologies are open to any mac that runs it, not specific hardware configs?

And that power savings in the new MacBooks aren't due to mavericks since they don't ship with it.
Yes, they even showed power consumption savings on a non-Haswell MacBook in a WWDC session:
olAYLX4.jpg

Yeah, i don't think any of the new features of Mavericks have made it to the new Airs from what I understand. But Apple tends to do small software updates with new hardware launches so I might be wrong. But yeah they showed improvements for older hardware with Mavericks so its just not Haswell.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well, I've got it running on my old iphone 4 as a guinea pig, and I'm trying to picture this running so much better on my 5. One thing that weirds me out about the task bar screen is that when you've swiped all running apps away, you'd figure it would just zoom back to the home screen. But instead you're left looking at this screen and forced to hit home or tap it. A weird thing to care about, but it felt off to me.

I've gotten used to swiping apps up to close them with Zephyr, using the home button *shudder* The toolbar icons are terrible to me too, so weightless. Also might just be me, but Phoenix Wright HD won't load at all for me.

Skunkers

The photos app is a bit iffy at the moment. I'm glad they kept a tab with the old style of viewing because my "Moments" tab is a mess. There's odd photos here and there that I've edited after taking them and show up as entirely the wrong location or date from the original time they were taken.

Just watched the keynote, and that was the first thing I thought of when he added the b&w filter to the pic of the girl: "Okay, it doesn't change the Moment when you do that, right?"

Hopefully they'll fix that before release.

ramyeon

AF0cLJOl.jpg

This pisses me off to no end. Hope they fix this.
It's fine on iPhone 5, they probably just haven't optimized everything for the iPhone 4/4S yet. Of course it's not going to be like this in the final release.

I think people are forgetting that this is Beta 1 that's not supposed to be used outside of developers on test units.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm amazed every year when there are complaints about a developer beta from people who ' shouldn't be in it' in the first place.

Beta 1 is designed specifically to introduce the new changes on a high level to developers so they can start adapting apps to it, and I don't just mean this on an aesthetics level.

There are tons of missing stuff, transitional animations, graphical elements, widgets (yeah multiple, there's notes about support for more than before) and naturally many things are buggy and crash prone.

Td;lr - it's not for consumer consumption. If you begged/bought your way into the beta with that assumption you did it wrong.

I'm amazed every year when there are complaints about a developer beta from people who ' shouldn't be in it' in the first place.

Beta 1 is designed specifically to introduce the new changes on a high level to developers so they can start adapting apps to it, and I don't just mean this on an aesthetics level.

There are tons of missing stuff, transitional animations, graphical elements, widgets (yeah multiple, there's notes about support for more than before) and naturally many things are buggy and crash prone.

Td;lr - it's not for consumer consumption. If you begged/bought your way into the beta with that assumption you did it wrong.

I know this is a beta. But my problem is that it's the same thing on iOS 6. I'm glad it's different on iPhone 5's but it's such a bad visual cue that it would've made me sad if they didn't fix it.

This is super laggy but it's really pretty. I'll probably keep it. Having the Clock, Flashlight, Calculator and Camera on the Control Panel is FANTASTIC. Just freed so much space on my home screen :)

dodgeme

Don't really post around here but wanted to chime in on OSX Mavericks. Have it running on my Macbook Pro most recent model and currently am just web surfing and am still getting an estimated 8:11 left on my battery with 90% left. Thats a good 2 hours more then I used to get estimated so I can see it actually equating to a good hour of extra battery life on day to day use.

hirokazu

In iOS 7, can you swipe away notifications in Notification Center?
You can now dismiss new notifications that appear at the top of the screen by swiping them up. I suppose that's the equivalent of dismissing them in OS X by swiping them to the right?

hirokazu

What do notifications look like now? Both in general and in the lock screen. I don't recall seeing any.
They're dark grey frosted glass, as is Notification Centre. The bad thing is that new notifications now take up even more space than before, but as I said above, you can now swipe them away.

I also don't like that the reception dots take up so much more space than before even though everything else in the top status bar looks tiny now.

numble

Skimming through the WWDC Bluetooth session video, I'm pretty sure they are thinking Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is the future (I bet they're exploring a lot of those use cases mentioned in the 2nd slide below, and I'm getting more and more inclined to think they'll skip NFC and go for a BLE solution [or BLE combined with WiFi-Direct], even for payments), and they are also going to be launching a new unannounced so-far API, Apple Notification Center Service for BLE accessories that would be especially useful in smartwatches:

MTej4fEl.jpg

eL71dJHl.jpg

KA7z4Fal.jpg

S1Bpebul.jpg

TU3HXqKl.jpg

zF6YBjQl.jpg

I6KktsVl.jpg

HoTHiTTeR

Don't really post around here but wanted to chime in on OSX Mavericks. Have it running on my Macbook Pro most recent model and currently am just web surfing and am still getting an estimated 8:11 left on my battery with 90% left. Thats a good 2 hours more then I used to get estimated so I can see it actually equating to a good hour of extra battery life on day to day use.

This is something I'd love to try out, but can't think of a business need to justify the $100/yr purchase of an additional DEV license for Osx on top of our iOS one. Sigh.

Top Bottom