• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

I wonder if that 12 hours batterylife on the new MBA is on OSX Mavericks. If not, sweet jesus.
Larger batteries, Haswell architecture are huge. I'm sure Mavericks will help, but as it stands, the MacBook Airs that shipped are still on Mountain Lion and don't have an asterisk next to the advertised battery life.

Anyone running Mavericks on a 2011 MacBook Air (11-inch) - what are you getting? I usually get 4-5 hours of semi-light use on mine with ML, and I'm excited to see what improvements, if any, I'll see this fall.

So jealous of the new Airs' battery life, though. That's iPad level longevity in a much more capable package.

JayDub

With the inclusion of Control Center and Controller support, the only thing iOS needs to bring me back from Android is the ability to download stuff from Safari and add it to the app of my choosing. You can do this in a limited way currently (photos), but I want to be able to download mp3s and it to the Music app, roms (legally)..etc.

Hell, even without those features (I guess I can just sync from my PC), I might still consider going back to iPhone if the phones can get bigger. Once you use a bigger screen, the iPhone just feels teensy afterwards. No matter how much I love the smoothness and features of iOS.

Nicktendo86

AF0cLJOl.jpg

This pisses me off to no end. Hope they fix this.
Jesus, the status bar is a cluttered mess now. Looks almost as bad as a galaxy s4!

hirokazu

Then there is spotlight. What advantage or ease of use or problem they are trying to solve by now going left on the home screen? How the swipe down is better then the previous functional and approachable spotlight tab?
You can now initiate a search from any page on the home screen. That alone is better than the previous implementation. There is nothing the old Spotlight page does that the new search bar implementation doesn't do so I don't get what you're complaining about?

hirokazu

I know this is a beta. But my problem is that it's the same thing on iOS 6. I'm glad it's different on iPhone 5's but it's such a bad visual cue that it would've made me sad if they didn't fix it.
The point is, they never really got around to laying out the lock screen properly for 3.5" displays yet because a lot of this has been rushed for the developer beta. It's not like they're gonna release it to the public in that state.

iOS 6's lock screen layout issues were just a pet peeve. This is something else entirely and obvious not representative of the final release.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
FYI: Weather widget for Notification Center is in this seed after all.
Enable Location Services for the Weather app and it'll show up. It's text-based now however, says the current temp/weather condition and the expected high temp of the day. Tapping it opens the weather app as usual.

ramyeon

Every current OS on the market has been influenced by others somewhere along the line, using that as an argument against the quality of the OS is ridiculous.

Exactly. And when you consider Apple's litigation-happy approach to rival mobile operating systems that display even the vaugest of similarities, it sets up perhaps the most crow-worthy scenario known to man. They deserve everything they're going to get over this one.

Of course, remember that in these situations, the only ultimate winners are the lawyers and the big losers are us as the consumers.

Aiii

So not worth it
Here's an idiot's guide to what Apple have ripped off from whom

Oh - sorry, hipsterGAF. I meant what "influenced" Apple.

So innovative!

Some people are really hung up on championing their devices, so weird. Buy it or don't buy it, it's up to you man, you've got the power!

Must say I like what you're infering. There should be a rule that once one company creates something, no other company should ever, EVER, get to use it. Like a system that stores every idea ever and gives them ownership over it. And one company can sue another company over it, if they happen to use a vague resemblance of their idea and shit.

I think I'm really onto something here people!

ramyeon

Exactly. And when you consider Apple's litigation-happy approach to rival mobile operating systems that display even the vaugest of similarities, it sets up perhaps the most crow-worthy scenario known to man. They deserve everything they're going to get over this one.

Of course, remember that in these situations, the only ultimate winners are the lawyers and the big losers are us as the consumers.
You say that as if Apple's the only company pursuing legal action in regards to patents.

JayDub

You must think all these companies coincidentally thought of the smartphone as we know it today right after Apple announced their iPhone, right? They just happened to think of it at the same time.

All touchscreen smartphones and OS got their root from iOS and the iPhone.

LG Prada says hi!

Riiiight.

The big news to me is the controller standard. Assuming you can get publishers and devs to commit to bringing over full games, you're basically weaponizing the gazillions of iOS devices that people already own and turning them into a gaming console. It'll mostly compete with handhelds right away, but I'd buy the shit out of full-featured sports games on the App Store.

Oh and the controller standard applying to OS X as well as iOS might mean some cross-polination and more Mac ports as well.

Pachimari

I'm not up to date and haven't watched the keynote yet but will MacBook Airs get Siri?

And where can I find the iOS 7 wallpaper for my iPhone 5? :)

Nicktendo86

Lets be really honest here. It doesn't, does it.
No, it really does. Cluttered and horrible. The dots for signal take up much more space than they need to, I've always disliked horizontal battery icons as they take up more space. The lightning bolt next to the icon for charging instead of on top of it is an idiot choice. The arrow at the top to show you how to pull down for notifications is pointless, everyone that has ever used iOS knows about that feature. Let's be honest, it is a mess.

ramyeon

No, it really does. Cluttered and horrible. The dots for signal take up much more space than they need to, I've always disliked horizontal battery icons as they take up more space. The lightning bolt next to the icon for charging instead of on top of it is an idiot choice. The arrow at the top to show you how to pull down for notifications is pointless, everyone that has ever used iOS knows about that feature. Let's be honest, it is a mess.
The arrow is only there on the lockscreen. You couldn't use notification center on the lockscreen before.

It doesn't look cluttered at all to me.

Agreed. It's just that their spacing is so weird. The verizon and the bars are too close, while the 3G is too far from the Verizon. The lock and location buttons look weirdly small next to the percentage as well.

Nicktendo86

Funny thing. Ive was involved heavily with the look and feel of iPhone OS 1.0. This prototype from 2006 has the dots he was eventually able to bring back:
290969.jpg

But you know, LG Prada and all that, right kurtrussell?
They seem to take up so much more space than necessary, what is the reason for having the dots rather than a little triangle with lines for reception?

I'm not saying the new iOS status bar doesn't look a mess. I'm saying that it's far worse than your default looking GS4 status bar.

They seem to take up so much more space than necessary, what is the reason for having the dots rather than a little triangle with lines for reception?

If they add in an easy option to hide the carrier name I'll call it even. I feel bad for people with carrier names beyond a few characters.

Finally found an advantage to having AT&T I guess.

Aiii

So not worth it
If they add in an easy option to hide the carrier name I'll call it even. I feel bad for people with carrier names beyond a few characters.

Finally found an advantage to having AT&T I guess.

Yeah, mine says "vodafone NL", along with the dots and the 3G sign it's now exactly half of the statusbar.

But I'm fine with that tbh, don't have issues with finding it cluthered or anything.

Blastoise

Banned
I just ordered a 2013 Air. Even though my 2011 one is more than capable. I really need more hard drive space. Current ones 128GB, new one will be 256GB (plus 8GB Ram!).

Hopefully the HD 5000 will let me play some decent indie games.

JayDub

...and this is why you get trolls up in this thread. The insufferable arrogance of Apple and their fans attracts responses in kind. *smh*

"Arrogance"? Apple users cant get excited about a product without Android users shitting things up EVERY thread. Yourself included.

Looks like the arrogance is coming from the other party.

Blackhead

Redarse
"Arrogance"? Apple users cant get excited about a product without Android users shitting things up EVERY thread. Yourself included.

Looks like the arrogance is coming from the other party.

iPhone 5 and MacBook user here. But don't let that stop you.

Edit
Skimming through the WWDC Bluetooth session video, I'm pretty sure they are thinking Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is the future (I bet they're exploring a lot of those use cases mentioned in the 2nd slide below, and I'm getting more and more inclined to think they'll skip NFC and go for a BLE solution [or BLE combined with WiFi-Direct], even for payments), and they are also going to be launching a new unannounced so-far API, Apple Notification Center Service for BLE accessories that would be especially useful in smartwatches:
The key feature of NFC is the seamless pairing. What's the user experience for making Airdop connections like? Is that working in the beta?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The key feature of NFC is the seamless pairing. What's the user experience for making Airdop connections like? Is that working in the beta?

Share button on whatever you want to share > AirDrop. Works nicely, have been using it to move stuff between my MacBook and iPhone. :)
On the iOS end you have the option of limiting your visibility (Off, Contacts Only, Everyone), it picks up eligible devices in the vicinity based on that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Having to retrain myself to use the Control Center vs. having to jump into settings for enable/disable of wifi is funny.

After I run through the whole normal process, you just kind of slap your forehead when you pop it up to change a song and see the quick toggles.

Can't stress how much nicer the new lockscreen experience is with notification and control centers being there. The look and function is insanely enhanced.

I just ordered a 2013 Air. Even though my 2011 one is more than capable. I really need more hard drive space. Current ones 128GB, new one will be 256GB (plus 8GB Ram!).

Hopefully the HD 5000 will let me play some decent indie games.

Why don't you just upgrade the HDD?

Blackhead

Redarse
Share button on whatever you want to share > AirDrop. Works nicely, have been using it to move stuff between my MacBook and iPhone. :)
On the iOS end you have the option of limiting your visibility (Off, Contacts Only, Everyone), it picks up eligible devices in the vicinity based on that.

Can you change the visibility from the share menu or do you have to switch to Settings app and toggle it first? Are airdrop contacts automatically inherited from your existing address book or do you have to set up an airdrop contact with an approved recognition on the two devices?

Sidenote: Can you airdrop to multiple contacts at once? Does the iPod app have airdrop or is that only for iRadio?

RubxQub

Pretty sure this is new? Ability to turn off which apps will use cellular data individually.

Fergie

Banned
Can we disable automatic background updating? It would be beneficial, I don't update most apps without checking some comments, just to make sure it doesn't break anything.

One case being HD player app, added ads that ruin the experience and no way of removing with ad-free IAP, also paid previously for the codec pack.

mrkgoo

Pretty sure this is new? Ability to turn off which apps will use cellular data individually.
Yes, this is new. There's always a bunch of stuff they don't highlight. I new this was in there, but not sure how I knew. Maybe some podcast, maybe Craig dropped it on somewhere as a passing comment.

RubxQub

Can we disable automatic background updating? It would be beneficial I don't update most apps without checking some comments on, just to make sure it doesn't break anything.

You can turn it off in the iTunes & App Stores settings.

ramyeon

It's amazing how much the functionality has improved now with ios7. Regardless of any bugs and performance issues related to it being in beta I think I'd struggle switching back to ios6.

Top Bottom