• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Blackhead

Redarse
Pretty sure this is new? Ability to turn off which apps will use cellular data individually.

One case being HD player app, added ads that ruin the experience and no way of removing with ad-free IAP, also paid previously for the codec pack.
This got me thinking: some free (IAP) apps and games rely on data connections for their ads. Will turning off their individual cellular connections disable that too? Even if they are using iAds?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can you change the visibility from the share menu or do you have to switch to Settings app and toggle it first? Are airdrop contacts automatically inherited from your existing address book or do you have to set up an airdrop contact with an approved recognition on the two devices?

Sidenote: Can you airdrop to multiple contacts at once? Does the iPod app have airdrop or is that only for iRadio?
AirDrop visibility is configured via the new Control Center. The contacts are your existing Contacts/address book. If you're in someone else's contacts who also have AirDrop enabled (for everyone or contacts only) both your devices figure that out automatically and you'll be visible on each others devices in the share menu dynamically.

You can't AirDrop songs/mp3 files, I don't think you'll ever be able to for obvious reasons. Music suggestions via iRadio yes however.
At the moment you tap on each peson you want to share something with via AirDrop.

Pretty sure this is new? Ability to turn off which apps will use cellular data individually.
This is new.
Can we disable automatic background updating? It would be beneficial I don't update most apps without checking some comments on, just to make sure it doesn't break anything.

One case being HD player app, added ads that ruin the experience and no way of removing with ad-free IAP, also paid previously for the codec pack.
Background updating can be turned off, or configured per-app basis, or it can be set to 'figure it out on it's own' e.g. updates happen when you're in good conditions, seems to prioritize small updates over large ones too. Currently however the per-app configuration isn't working in the current seed build so it's all or nothing.

This got me thinking: some free (IAP) apps and games rely on data connections for their ads. Will turning off their individual cellular connections disable that too? Even if they are using iAds?
Will just make the app continue to use it's cached ads until next WiFi connection occurs.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Just tested.

Opening the app when you disable cellular data pops a message stating that cellular data has been disabled and you can either "OK" or "Settings" from there.

The iAd doesn't display or render.

Will just make the app continue to use it's cached ads until next WiFi connection occurs.
I'm not so sure about this.

The app I tested was displaying the iAd seconds before I jumped back in after disabling cellular data on it. The box for the iAd didn't render at all, let alone show a previously cached ad.

I'm considering buying the new Macbook Air as my first non-windows laptop, and I'm just wondering about the Mavericks update: will it be free for me to upgrade to it when it comes out? Or is that unlikely, and I'd have to pay despite the Air being so recent?

You say that as if Apple's the only company pursuing legal action in regards to patents.

If you can, try and untangle the mess of mobile patent litigation over the last two years. The vast majority of complaints against Apple are retaliatory. Just sayin...

Some people are really hung up on championing their devices, so weird. Buy it or don't buy it, it's up to you man, you've got the power!

Must say I like what you're infering. There should be a rule that once one company creates something, no other company should ever, EVER, get to use it. Like a system that stores every idea ever and gives them ownership over it. And one company can sue another company over it, if they happen to use a vague resemblance of their idea and shit.

You've kind of missed the point of what I was inferring, I'm afraid. This isn't about device cheer-leading. This is about the fact that software patents are fucking bullshit and only lead to major companies abusing them to stifle opposition in an attempt to lock in dominance. I merely pointed out that Apple are about to take it in more ways than a Bangkok hooker.

I'll also reiterate, that although it's highly amusing to me that Apple are no longer the innovators in this sector and merely now playing the role of imitators, the whole wave of litigation that's obviously about to hit them is not good for anyone bar legal douches. It is extremely bad for the consumer and a clear example of why software patents should be invalidated. Look at all the advances we've had throughout history that build on previous ideas, and consider how worse off we would all be if company X had used litigation to stop iterative innovation...

RubxQub

I'm considering buying the new Macbook Air as my first non-windows laptop, and I'm just wondering about the Mavericks update: will it be free for me to upgrade to it when it comes out? Or is that unlikely, and I'd have to pay despite the Air being so recent?

There had been some things in the past that they retroactively gave people buying new hardware free upgrades to the latest version of the OS...don't recall how they did it, but I know they did at one point recently.

Can't say I'd count on it, but I see no reason to believe that this update would put any kind of dent in your wallet beyond $30.

ramyeon

You'll probably have to pay for the OS update, but it'll be so cheap it should be a non issue. The last update was only $20 and I can't see this one being much more than that.

RubxQub

So what was the big rush to secure licensing and announce iTunes Radio if we can't even use it for months yet?

It's live in the iOS 7 beta, so minimally they'd need to have had all their deals cut by then regardless.

I'm using it at least... :)

It's live in the iOS 7 beta, so minimally they'd need to have had all their deals cut by then regardless.

I'm using it at least... :)

I'm too lazy to scrounge around for an invite to the beta, but I do have an Apple TV. They should at least roll it out on Apple TV now - that has nothing to do with iOS7.

Blackhead

Redarse
AirDrop visibility is configured via the new Control Center. The contacts are your existing Contacts/address book. If you're in someone else's contacts who also have AirDrop enabled (for everyone or contacts only) both your devices figure that out automatically and you'll be visible on each others devices in the share menu dynamically.

You can't AirDrop songs/mp3 files, I don't think you'll ever be able to for obvious reasons. Music suggestions via iRadio yes however.
At the moment you tap on each peson you want to share something with via AirDrop.
Not too bad; that doesn't sound like too many steps to go through. What about on the receiving end; can you share how the airdrop is accepted, deposited etc?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not too bad; that doesn't sound like too many steps to go through. What about on the receiving end; can you share how the airdrop is accepted, deposited etc?

The files you receive pop into whatever apps' depository if you will automatically if accepted (you get a popup "hey, blabla's phone wants to share this <file thing> with you, Accept/Decline?"). E.g. photos to to Photos, videos to Video, iRadio opens the Music app. I'm also fairly certain that if you accept documents for apps you don't have (say a Pages document) it goes into your iCloud storage under Pages. I think that sort of thing is the idea at least, from reading the dev notes on the subject (incl. support for third party apps). Not sure how much of this is live in this build however.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Another thing that I don't think was highlighted much is that the Maps app now includes turn-by-turn walking directions again.

Hurray!

Laekon

If you don't need the longer battery life than you can get a 2012 13" Air off the Apple refurb site for $850. The few benchmarks out there seem to show no increase in performance of the base model.

RubxQub

If you don't need the longer battery life than you can get a 2012 13" Air off the Apple refurb site for $850. The few benchmarks out there seem to show no increase in performance of the base model.

I don't know man... $300 for increased battery life and another 64GB of space on a brand new machine seems worth it to me.

Depends on the priorities, of course!

Blackhead

Redarse
The files you receive pop into whatever apps' depository if you will automatically if accepted (you get a popup "hey, blabla's phone wants to share this <file thing> with you, Accept/Decline?"). E.g. photos to to Photos, videos to Video, iRadio opens the Music app. I'm also fairly certain that if you accept documents for apps you don't have (say a Pages document) it goes into your iCloud storage under Pages. I think that sort of thing is the idea at least, from reading the dev notes on the subject (incl. support for third party apps). Not sure how much of this is live in this build however.
I kinda assumed it would offer an "open with" dialog if you didn't have the app installed. Could you explore that a bit more? Afaik there's currently no way to check iCloud storage for apps not on the device.
Another thing that I don't think was highlighted much is that the Maps app now includes turn-by-turn walking directions again.

Hurray!
I think I sighted that during the keynote. Does it work with Siri and/or via notifications?

Pachimari

I'm really considering getting the iOS 7 beta but are there any kinks with it yet? Besides some apps which won't run?

Also, do any of you guys know how I can make a total clean install of Mountain Lion on my MacBook Air (2011)? It have been acting very strangely and that's not good for my work and studies. It doesn't have a disc slot, but it would be very helpful if I could get it ready for tomorrow. :)

Laekon

I don't know man... $300 for increased battery life and another 64GB of space on a brand new machine seems worth it to me.

Depends on the priorities, of course!
It's only a battery life increase. The 13" always started at 128GB. Though you can get the i7, 256GB, and 8GB ram for $1550. That is a really nice machine.

I'm really considering getting the iOS 7 beta but are there any kinks with it yet? Besides some apps which won't run?

Also, do any of you guys know how I can make a total clean install of Mountain Lion on my MacBook Air (2011)? It have been acting very strangely and that's not good for my work and studies. It doesn't have a disc slot, but it would be very helpful if I could get it ready for tomorrow. :)

I had really awful battery issues on iOS7 and the phone would restart periodically. I've heard the podcast app is unstable. I'm sure there are other apps that don't work either.

You an restart into Recovery mode (hold command + r) at restart and you can reinstall the OS.

Fox1304

Anybody managed to add a custom Panorama wallpaper ? I mean, not taken with the iPhone camera but with a panorama resolution.
All the files that I've tried have some bug that I think is linked to the resolution.
So, natural question, what's the exact resolution of the iPhone Panorama pictures ?

Pachimari

I had really awful battery issues on iOS7 and the phone would restart periodically. I've heard the podcast app is unstable. I'm sure there are other apps that don't work either.

You an restart into Recovery mode (hold command + r) at restart and you can reinstall the OS.

Will it erase everything on my MacBook as I want it to then? :)

Thanks by the way.

numble

I kinda assumed it would offer an "open with" dialog if you didn't have the app installed. Could you explore that a bit more? Afaik there's currently no way to check iCloud storage for apps not on the device.

I think I sighted that during the keynote. Does it work with Siri and/or via notifications?
The iOS 7 release notes says support for other filetypes is not implemented in the current seed:
The App Store should support the ability to find an app capable of opening a received document based on the document’s Uniform Type Identifier (UTI). Currently, just a blank screen is displayed.

Pachimari

I think by default, it'll just install over what's there. However, when in recovery mode, you can use Disk utility to erase your drive first. Make sure everything is backed up!

I backed up all of my documents and such on an external hard drive.

So now I'll erase everything with Disk Utility first and then I install the OS again by holding in cmd-r on my next start up after having erased it all?

I backed up all of my documents and such on an external hard drive.

So now I'll erase everything with Disk Utility first and then I install the OS again by holding in cmd-r on my next start up after having erased it all?

hold cmd+r
turn on Mac
Mac will boot to the recovery drive
choose disk utility
erase drive
choose Install ML
ML installs
mac boots to new, fresh OS

I'm sure this was asked in here already but:

How does iOS 7 run on iPhone 4S? Is it worth getting the beta for the shiny new firmware or is it noticeably slow?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

You can see whats stored in iCloud under iCloud > Manage Storage > Documents & Data (not a new feature). But it'll most likely check for an appropriate app in the Appstore if you get unknown files.

Maps walking directions work with Siri

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I guess it's unlikely, but is there any way to access and edit your TextEdit files from the cloud on iOS 7? It's such a weird omission.

I'm sure this was asked in here already but:

How does iOS 7 run on iPhone 4S? Is it worth getting the beta for the shiny new firmware or is it noticeably slow?

I've been running it for a day on my 4S and it seems to run fine. It can be a bit sluggish for a moment here or there, and the camera seems to like to crash a lot, but I'd chalk that up more to it being beta than it being on a 4S. Generally speaking it works fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
The iOS 7 release notes says support for other filetypes is not implemented in the current seed:

I think Airdrop is going to be huge. I imagine the next popular social app (or at least the next one Apple highlights in the app store) is going to use airdrop extensively. Does Airdrop work bluetooth or not? Is that new AppStore genius, "apps being used around you" integrated with airdrop i.e. can you share apps via airdrop?

Pachimari

Are there unlimited room for apps in folders and in safari tabs now?

And I really wish AirDrop worked with iPhone 4 and 4S, as I just gave my parents a iPhone each last year. :(

Really enjoying the linen-free folders in Mavericks:

v3L5FxJ.png
Wow that looks so clean and nice.
Is it possible for me to get into such a OS X beta?

Quick

Banned

It isn't smooth, not even on my 5th gen iPod Touch. I re-installed iOS 6.1.3 on it last night after trying the beta for the day.

Bugs I've encountered:
- The time takes a moment to disappear when you double click on the home button to get the music controls on the lock screen (not Control Center).
- Music app crashed on me a couple of times.
- My icons vanished, and I was stuck with just my wallpaper after opening the app switcher.
- Status bar icons were bugging out when I opened certain apps.

jts

...hate me...
I think Airdrop is going to be huge. I imagine the next popular social app (or at least the next one Apple highlights in the app store) is going to use airdrop extensively. Does Airdrop work bluetooth or not? Is that new AppStore genius, "apps being used around you" integrated with airdrop i.e. can you share apps via airdrop?
Should work exclusively over Wifi Direct.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

It uses Bluetooth and WiFi Direct. BT needs to be enabled for it to run in the current seed, it switches it on automatically if used.
By sharing apps it technically just shares an embedded link to the AppStore.

Also, I was slightly wrong in the steps to share with AirDrop, its more simple than previously described. you just tap share and there's a dedicated AirDrop section right there with available people's devices to tap to send stuff to.

Wow that looks so clean and nice.
Is it possible for me to get into such a OS X beta?
As long as you can get your hands on the installer, you can install it regardless of whether you're a dev or not.

This is going to run like crap on my iPhone 4, isn't it?
I think it will probably run slower, hard to tell how much though since they have a huge amount of optimizing to do before release.

lots of apps crashing including instagram. overall very sluggish and unstable for my 4s.

I haven't had instagram crash, but it has been buggy. Sometimes the photos will just disappear.

I've been on the betas for most of the recent iOS versions, and I think this one is on par or maybe a hair more stable than the other beta1s.

There is a bug when trying to move apps between pages inside folders, it just crashes the whole phone. Also apps can't be deleted until they are downloaded, even though the X appears when you put the phone into wiggle-mode. This was not the case under previous versions, and I think it's just a bug for now.

Blackhead

Redarse
Should work exclusively over Wifi Direct.

It uses Bluetooth and WiFi Direct. BT needs to be enabled for it to run in the current seed, it switches it on automatically if used.
Yeah, I'm seeing lots of confusion online about this...
So, if Airdrop can use bluetooth, why doesn't it run on all iDevices?

Aye, app links. It would be nice to have an option for gifting an app via Airdrop as that's easier than the current email model.

Also, I was slightly wrong in the steps to share with AirDrop, its more simple than previously described. you just tap share and there's a dedicated AirDrop section right there with available people's devices to tap to send stuff to.
Screenshot please?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
yeah, probably going to be missing a lot of the graphical effects

Posted this yesterday in regards to what iPhone 4 is missing.

FYI, for iPhone 4:

- Dynamic wallpaper is not available on iPhone 4.
- Blurred layers are not available on iPhone 4.
- Parallax scrolling is not available on iPhone 4.
- Letterpress text is not available on iPhone 4. (not sure what this refers to)
- Weather conditions are not animated on iPhone 4.
- In this seed, GPS-based location is non-functional on iPhone 4.

and in general

- The new Siri voices are not in this seed.
- The Nike + iPod app is not included in this seed.

TKR92

I haven't had instagram crash, but it has been buggy. Sometimes the photos will just disappear.

I've been on the betas for most of the recent iOS versions, and I think this one is on par or maybe a hair more stable than the other beta1s.

There is a bug when trying to move apps between pages inside folders, it just crashes the whole phone. Also apps can't be deleted until they are downloaded, even though the X appears when you put the phone into wiggle-mode. This was not the case under previous versions, and I think it's just a bug for now.

In my case, instagram & camera app crashing a lot. I can read all the feed. But everytime I try to upload at least crash once.

I know it is beta and each app needs to be updated. But for me the overall experience is much worse than the previous beta :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, I'm seeing lots of confusion online about this...
So, if Airdrop can use bluetooth, why doesn't it run on all iDevices?

Aye, app links. It would be nice to have an option for gifting an app via Airdrop as that's easier than the current email model.

Screenshot please?

This is me having pressed the share button on a photo, the boxed area is where people would pop up (e.g. a picture of the person from the contacts list, or whatever picture they assigned to themselves in their contacts if its someone you don't have in your contacts list).

iqoEBy5tc24oL.jpg

Top Bottom