• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Really now?

Every current OS on the market has been influenced by others somewhere along the line, using that as an argument against the quality of the OS is ridiculous.

While there are some great functions in iOS7 that HAVE been innovated by Apple, no one's saying the whole thing is an innovation.
Personally I think software patents are stupid and would rather every mobile OS have similar features so that you don't have to relearn how to use the damn thing when switching between them. The world would be better off if these mobile OS makers would stop suing each other over copying features.

But that's just me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Am I the only one who thinks control center is really ugly? So many lines and shapes, it's so busy. I'd rather have those controls than not though, so it's still an improvement.

Tasteless
It used to be that everything on iOS that was a button was a round rect with a distinct background.

Now there are round buttons, buttons without a background, buttons that look like the old buttons, buttons in a square area.

k2HU99X.png

Is this supposed to be pretty? Round buttons, 3 sliders, I count 4 different button styles on the same "screen" (or 6 if you include the app icons behind the notification center)

And most of it sits on ugly rainbow puke, again.

4uvHSLp.jpg

The translucent background looks like what you make in Photoshop when you're playing with filters for the first time.

Is the Control Center's translucent background always rainbow or does that depend on what view it is overlaying**?

**overlaying or overlaid?

Nicktendo86

RIWw20d.jpg

Seriously, Apple?

You want me to pay £15 per lightning cable just so I don't have this message appear every time I plug your equipment into my car?

Loving iOS 7 at the moment, really liking the look and feel of it. The search bar you can make appear I haven't seem to get working yet, it doesn't seem to search a thing - other than that, all good :)

Why does it have "dismiss" overlaid on top of the notification?

Tasteless

Is the Control Center's translucent background always rainbow or does that depend on what view it is overlaying**?

It's dependent on the image behind it because it's a frosted glass effect. If you have a colorful picture, or a dark picture, or no picture at all, it'll reflect that.

Sullichin

Tasteless

It depends on what's underneath it. On the home screen, you get the rainbow because it's putting the frosted glass effect on rows of colorful icons. It looks bad. On an app like mail where it's just overlaying a white screen with colored text, it doesn't look as bad. But it doesn't look great either.

lol @ all of the people complaining about obvious bugs and oversights in the first developer beta of a product. The only purpose of this beta is for developers to test their applications on it or to start developing new ones specifically for iOS7.

Sean

Banned
The Next Web: Why does the design of iOS 7 look so different?

In fact, the designs are so different that you might even have been surprised that they came out of the same teams that were behind the home screen on iOS 6. Well, you’d be right. We’ve been talking to people all week about the new designs of iOS and multiple sources have given us a better picture of how it went down inside Apple in the last few months.

First of all, many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple’s marketing and communications department, not the app design teams. From what we’ve heard, SVP of Design (also now Apple’s head of Human Interaction) brought the print and web marketing design team in to set the look and color palette of the stock app icons. They then handed those off to the app design teams who did their own work on the ‘interiors’, with those palettes as a guide.

The thought process appears relatively easy to divine here. Apple needed a stylistic and psychological break with the design language of its past, and Ive used ‘new’ blood to create that break.

It’s also clear from what we’ve seen and heard that what we’re seeing of iOS 7 right now is a ‘mid stride’ snapshot. The work on design and development is still going full tilt, and what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress’. We’re told, for instance, that some builds of iOS used onstage at the conference by presenters are already newer than the ones pushed out on Monday.

Of the various aspects of iOS 7, the design of its icons and other visual cues are the most in flux at the moment. There are still refinements and conversations going on around them. I don’t know but would expect there to be a lot of fixes for the inconsistency we’re seeing in things like gradients and design language on the home screen.

the redesign doesn't come close to some of the mods that are currently out on jailbroken devices.. i don't think steve jobs would have approved lol

Flo_Evans

Of the various aspects of iOS 7, the design of its icons and other visual cues are the most in flux at the moment. There are still refinements and conversations going on around them. I don’t know but would expect there to be a lot of fixes for the inconsistency we’re seeing in things like gradients and design language on the home screen.

I suspected as much but that is a relief.

I love the OS features they added but the re-design is bad.

Heel

Am I the only one who thinks control center is really ugly? So many lines and shapes, it's so busy. I'd rather have those controls than not though, so it's still an improvement.

I appreciate the ease of getting to those options and don't really find any of them useless being there. I think it looks great considering what you're getting to with one touch.

How would one make all of those options look better, exactly? Has someone done a mockup?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Panorama lockscreen wallpaper:
https://vine.co/v/bl67n73llQ9
So does it pan faster if the wallpaper is wider? Like is that a really wide image of a cityscape? Would be neat if it looped around if you spin around completely and would show a different part of the wallpaper depending on which direction you are facing.

I can't wait to have iOS7 in my veins.

How "live" is the new task manager? How does the updates to multitasking work now? Is there any real MT now? In that can some apps, not all, but some apps actually update their UI while in the background and thus it gets reflected in the task manager? Not that I'd want that as I still firmly believe Apple does MT right not letting apps actually run 100% while not front and center, but I would think with the battery improvements in both iOS and OS X there might be improvements to how it works.

First of all, many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple’s marketing and communications department, not the app design teams. From what we’ve heard, SVP of Design Jony Ive (also now Apple’s head of Human Interaction) brought the print and web marketing design team in to set the look and color palette of the stock app icons. They then handed those off to the app design teams who did their own work on the ‘interiors’, with those palettes as a guide.

It’s also clear from what we’ve seen and heard that what we’re seeing of iOS 7 right now is a ‘mid stride’ snapshot. The work on design and development is still going full tilt, and what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress’.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/12/why-does-the-design-of-ios-7-look-so-different/

Xrenity

Really like ios7 on my 5. The lockscreen is just so good! Safari navigation as well.

Too bad it won't let me use my music library on the alarm clock. And there's some other minor stuff, but I don't think I could go back to 6.

linkboy

I appreciate the ease of getting to those options and don't really find any of them useless being there. I think it looks great considering what you're getting to with one touch.

How would one make all of those options look better, exactly? Has someone done a mockup?

I'd much rather have something like this, and you just swipe left and right for more options.

This is NCSettings, a jailbreak tweak.

pinglio_ncsettings2.png

Mathezar

Is the iOS 7 beta not available for iPad? Was looking for some videos and/or screenshots of impressions, can't seem to find any...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What I'm taking from messing around with this for a while is that Ive had a burning hatred for so many things about Forstall's look that he couldn't bear to keep some of those small touches that actually worked brilliantly. What a case of baby/bathwater tossing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do we know why there's no widgets anymore?

I used the weather one all the time to check out how the weather would be for the next days.

Aren't there a setting for "notifications & widgets"?

Enable Location Services for the Weather app and you'll have the weather widget back in the Notification Center.

The overall widget setting is still there in the Notification Center settings, it's now "Today View" aka. the widget tab.

Dany

Banned
I was using private browsing in safari, i wanted to stop so I clicked 'close all' and I went and did other stuff on my phone.

I doubled clicked the home button for multitasking and there was my private window >_<

they gotta fix that like...pronto.

kruskev

Gonna ask again since nobody answered:

Any word on whether Mavericks has fixed the retina MBP performance issues?

What issues are you talking about specifically? I am noticing that the scrolling is quite a bit smoother and safari itself seems a bit snappier.

Certinty

Can someone help me with this.

Backed up a jailbroken iPhone.
Factory reset phone
Installed iOS 7
Restored iPhone from backup

Will the jailbroken stuff still be backed up to the phone even though I can't see them?

Blackhead

Redarse
Ive is a communist.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=417063&d=1371074751[IMG][/QUOTE]
Your avatar is getting old.

[quote="Certinty, post: 63083866"]Can someone help me with this.

Backed up a jailbroken iPhone.
Factory reset phone
Installed iOS 7
Restored iPhone from backup

Will the jailbroken stuff still be backed up to the phone even though I can't see them?[/QUOTE]
No, almost everything will be gone.

Top Bottom