• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Jonogunn

iOS 7 is buggy up the ass. I'm on iPhone 5 btw. I wanna go back to the stable iOS 6 but this is too pretty to move away from...

Damn wish this beta was more stable but I understand why it's not. I hope beta 2 rolls out soon.

jediyoshi

Took a shot to show off how the new icon masking looks on some stuff

tz1893s.jpg

Haven't run into anything functionally breaking too much, just a lot of little visual oddities

Heel

Took a shot to show off how the new icon masking looks on some stuff

Haven't run into anything functionally breaking too much, just a lot of little visual oddities

We're going to be treated to dozens of App Store updates, aren't we?

Release notes: Icon updated.

Welp, I just went to the Apple store and got myself the new 13" Macbook Air. I used to own a mid 2009 Macbook Pro previously, my only experience with Macs. HOLY MOLY! What an amazing, capable little machine. Every action is just so smooth and quick. Also, I've been playing around with it for about 1 hour and 30 minutes and the battery still says "11:05 Remaining".

Guise, I think I'm in love. I don't think I'm ever going back to my desktop PC.

Pachimari

I'm actually thinking of connecting my Mac Mini to the monitor and use that as my desktop, while using the Apple TV as a second screen for my MacBook Air to start up Plex and then just have the movies on the NAS.

Is the Maverick beta stable?

Fuchsdh

I guarantee if Google came up with a UI like this, he'd be reaming them.

No, he just likes really flat, simple design (to wit: the app he just came out with, Vesper.)

You can say Gruber is wrong (I think so--I also think Gill Sans doesn't really work as a body face, apparently he does.) But I don't think you can really call him a hypocrite.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So after the changes having settled in a bit:

- They need to go back to the old roundrect corners, and ditch them for stuff like folders.
- Lots of the new icons need a serious reworking.
- The translucency effects need tweaking so that they don't reduce everything to pastel smears.
- Fonts need massive tweaking.

I'm pretty sure I'm not saying anything new at all.

Ever since I put the developer's preview of iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 (I'm a registered developer btw), iMessage has not been working on my Mac and on my iPad. First I thought it was just a syncing issue, but the messages sent on both those devices just won't send. And they were working immediately prior to my installation of iOS 7.

So what gives? How do I fix this?

Ever since I put the developer's preview of iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 (I'm a registered developer btw), iMessage has not been working on my Mac and on my iPad. First I thought it was just a syncing issue, but the messages sent on both those devices just won't send. And they were working immediately prior to my installation of iOS 7.

So what gives? How do I fix this?
I had a problem where my computer stopped using my phone number for iMessage after iOS 7 was installed. Signed out and in to get it back and it works fine now. Check if it reset your settings.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
We're going to be treated to dozens of App Store updates, aren't we?

Release notes: Icon updated.
I'm way out of the loop, but the App Store has delta updates now, right?

Blackhead

Redarse
I guarantee if Google came up with a UI like this, he'd be reaming them.
No, he just likes really flat, simple design (to wit: the app he just came out with, Vesper.)

You can say Gruber is wrong (I think so--I also think Futura doesn't really work as a body face, apparently he does.) But I don't think you can really call him a hypocrite.
Well Google already came out with a UI 'like this'. When did Gruber ever call Android beautiful?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well Google already came out with a UI 'like this'. When did Gruber ever call Android beautiful?

It functions a little differently to Android’s; rather than moving as you scroll between home pages, the iOS 7 wallpaper moves as you tilt the screen. It’s only a slight movement, but I think it’s a great addition to iOS 7 — much better than a static wallpaper.
What am I even reading lordt let me close this browser window and never speak of this again

Link

The Autumn Wind
What am I even reading lordt let me close this browser window and never speak of this again
This bit is my favorite:

Apple dialed down its lock screen to a very simple “slide to unlock” variant that mirrors what Android has going on with Jelly Bean. You can check on your battery life up in the right-hand corner, which appears styled like Android's, and the date and time are also similarly placed, with a similar font.
Really? Really?

Smeghead

A cool thing I noticed about the new safari is you can go back and forward on a web page by swiping right from either edge, like you would the command centre. Shit is slick.

Would love it if in the final release you could toggle it so that it switches between tabs instead.

lexi

Banned
This update has been very exciting to me cause I actually love how WP8 looks. Apple seems to have borrowed a lot more from them then say, Android.

Blackhead

Redarse
A cool thing I noticed about the new safari is you can go back and forward on a web page by swiping right from either edge, like you would the command centre. Shit is slick.

Would love it if in the final release you could toggle it so that it switches between tabs instead.

The Safari swipes for page history matches the gestures in OS X Safari and also fits in with the gestures added in iOS7 for going back in any app. Like you said it's very slick and I don't think there'll be any option for using the gestures to switch tabs (there's no such option on OS X either). I wonder if Chrome for iOS will switch to this or stick with its changing tabs gesture...

Android? Has Florence ever seen Windows Phone and webs? If anything, it's borrowing design concepts from them than Android.
... it's borrowing from both:
ArsTechnica said:
This piece has drawn a significant reaction from the Ars audience. We've got a counterpoint piece by Aurich Lawson that you can read here! [The global influence of iOS 7’s design language]

jts

...hate me...
Don't know if it was posted, but this was good for a chuckle

jonyiveredesignsthings.tumblr.com

:lol

I really hope this doesn't bite him back in the ass. Jony Ive hard earned a status of demi-god in hardware design.

In his new role he's, directly or indirectly, finally putting out things that are, at the very least, questionable. To be considered less than flawless would be quite an unfair turn of events for an outright genius, but it's the risk he took.

I must say that after some days being flooded by iOS 7 screens and videos in the media and the web, I look at my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 and it looks much easier on the eye and so cozy. Even refreshing from all the gaudy colors and shapes we've been seeing.

Right now, from iOS 7, I just want the amazing features. And I had such a boner when I was watching it be shown live.

I can already imagine myself jailbreaking it just to reverse the look to how it was before. Oh the ironing!

giga

The Safari swipes for page history matches the gestures in OS X Safari and also fits in with the gestures added in iOS7 for going back in any app. Like you said it's very slick and I don't think there'll be any option for using the gestures to switch tabs (there's no such option on OS X either). I wonder if Chrome for iOS will switch to this or stick with its changing tabs gesture...

... it's borrowing from both:
That's a far better article. Control Center was lifted from Android, yes. But the other stuff she mentions is actually Android borrowing from other operating systems.

ramyeon

:lol

I really hope this doesn't bite him back in the ass. Jony Ive hard earned a status of demi-god in hardware design.

In his new role he's, directly or indirectly, finally putting out things that are, at the very least, questionable. To be considered less than flawless would be quite an unfair turn of events for an outright genius, but it's the risk he took.

I must say that after some days being flooded by iOS 7 screens and videos in the media and the web, I look at my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 and it looks much easier on the eye and so cozy. Even refreshing from all the gaudy colors and shapes we've been seeing.

Right now, from iOS 7, I just want the amazing features. And I had such a boner when I was watching it be shown live.

I can already imagine myself jailbreaking it just to reverse the look to how it was before. Oh the ironing!
After using iOS 7 for 3 days now, when I see a phone running iOS 6 it looks dull, boring and stale. This looks fantastic in action.

jts

...hate me...
After using iOS 7 for 3 days now, when I see a phone running iOS 6 it looks dull, boring and stale. This looks fantastic in action.
I can only hope I will feel the same, as I can only endure with not updating at most until the day the GM gets released.

ramyeon

No kidding.

9025739956_22de336992_o.png

I'd even argue the icons are an improvement, even though they need work.

9026135182_0e9a2e079d_o.png
Great article, that really does highlight the changes and seeing the screens next to each other is like night and day really.

I also like the direction the icons went in, and only a few really need fixing. I'm sure they'll have minor changes to them by the time the GM comes around anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Question about Mavericks. Sorry to interrupt your iOS 7 talk.

Does the Mavericks beta replace your restore partition with one for Mavericks? If so, is there an easy way to go back to Mountain Lion? (Even with reformatting the entire drive) Or will ML replace the restore partition itself back to normal when you try to go back, if you decide to go back. I want to test it out, but both my machines are used normally and I'd like to be able to go back if I want to. (Or after testing out all my programs)

numble

This thing with beacons... are there going to be low-power "beacons" available for sale? I'm still not sure what it means, exactly.
Yes, I think that's the idea. They even talked about putting them on food trucks.

They are Bluetooth devices that just broadcast their existence. If you have a pass in Passbook, then it can put the pass up on your lockscreen when your iPhone enters its broadcast range. So Starbucks can put one in each store, and when you're near Starbucks, and you have a Starbucks pass, it'll pop up on your lockscreen when you're near a Starbucks.

Since iOS devices can act as beacons themselves, even a small shop can run its own little Passbook-based ecosystem.

Top Bottom