• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

HoTHiTTeR

Coming from the iOS dev side, I know how iOS device registration works for my work UDIDs. How does the Mavericks (OSX in general) registration work? I was planning on asking around, but didn't want to give out critical machine data (S/N or an Apple ID) to get "authorized" to install it.

lexi

Banned
Coming from the iOS dev side, I know how iOS device registration works for my work UDIDs. How does the Mavericks (OSX in general) registration work? I was planning on asking around, but didn't want to give out critical machine data (S/N or an Apple ID) to get "authorized" to install it.

Not sure about Mavericks, the last couple of OSX betas, if you have the ISO you can pretty much just install it.

I need to test a couple of apps I have in the works, but a friend of mine mentioned battery drain using iOS7 has anyone experienced that issue ?

jstripes

Banned

I think the whole UDID situation with iOS has more to do with carriers being concerned with hordes of users running beta software on their networks.

OS X doesn't have to deal with that, so they're more lax.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Took a shot to show off how the new icon masking looks on some stuff

Haven't run into anything functionally breaking too much, just a lot of little visual oddities
Did they alter the corner radius? Looks too round IMO

Unrelated, the Game Center icon is an abomination. Others could use some tweaks, that one deserves death.

Did they alter the corner radius? Looks too round IMO

Unrelated, the Game Center icon is an abomination. Others could use some tweaks, that one deserves death.

The bubbles remind me of M-theory, each sphere could be a representation of all the different kinds of games and rule sets they might contain within, not unlike the many different possible universes that might exist.

The only real problem I have with it is the glossiness is out of place compared to the other icons.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yes, I think that's the idea. They even talked about putting them on food trucks.

They are Bluetooth devices that just broadcast their existence. If you have a pass in Passbook, then it can put the pass up on your lockscreen when your iPhone enters its broadcast range. So Starbucks can put one in each store, and when you're near Starbucks, and you have a Starbucks pass, it'll pop up on your lockscreen when you're near a Starbucks.

Since iOS devices can act as beacons themselves, even a small shop can run its own little Passbook-based ecosystem.
This would only work for people that have Bluetooth turned on, though, right?

Thoughts? Features, stability, UI?

It seems like a nice update and so far it has been stable. The only UI changes I've really noticed are the updated Calendar and Notes applications. Calendar looks great but the new background used in the Notes app instead of the old lined paper background looks pretty bad.

As for new features:

• Replying to iMessages directly from the notification is great.
  • Tabbed browsing works fine
  • Using an Apple TV as a second screen and not just a mirrored screen means that feature is a lot more useful now.
  • Battery life seems to be better but I haven't done any serious comparisons yet.

That's all I can think of for now.

It seems like a nice update and so far it has been stable. The only UI changes I've really noticed are the updated Calendar and Notes applications. Calendar looks great but the new background used in the Notes app instead of the old lined paper background looks pretty bad.

As for new features:

• Using an Apple TV as a second screen and not just a mirrored screen means that feature is a lot more useful now.
  • Battery life seems to be better but I haven't done any serious comparisons yet.

nvm I thought you were talking about iOS lol.

Mavericks is very similar to Mountain Lion. You're not really missing anything but the removal of linen, a few minor Safari and Finder updates, iCloud keychain, and Maps. I feel like this might be even cheaper than ML ($10 or free).

The beta is smooth so far, but I haven't done much other than use Safari and iMessages.

Pachimari

I hated the old Game Center logo. The new one is one of the best Apple icons out there.

Mavericks is very similar to Mountain Lion. You're not really missing anything but the removal of linen, a few minor Safari and Finder updates, iCloud keychain, and Maps. I feel like this might be even cheaper than ML ($10 or free).

The beta is smooth so far, but I haven't done much other than use Safari and iMessages.
Mavericks seem like a great update to me. Besides better battery life I can finally tag all of my documents and easily organize them. While I can have more Finder windows open with tabs - it's so great.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm way out of the loop, but the App Store has delta updates now, right?

No one seem to have answered this - yes apps delta update since iOS 6, x2 storage space is still reserved for the app during the update process however as a safety measure in case the update fails.

Maximus.

Hey guys just had a few quick questions about installing iOS7. So once I get the ispw, will iTunes prompt me to upgrade when new betas are released?

Also for downgrading, there was a link posted before, but I cant find it in the thread :/ I just want to see how I can redownload 6.1.3 ispw if I need to downgrade for whatever reason.

Last question, can I restore from a backup to get all my apps, and saved data onto iOS7?

ramyeon

Hey guys just had a few quick questions about installing iOS7. So once I get the ispw, will iTunes prompt me to upgrade when new betas are released?

Also for downgrading, there was a link posted before, but I cant find it in the thread :/ I just want to see how I can redownload 6.1.3 ispw if I need to downgrade for whatever reason.

Last question, can I restore from a backup to get all my apps, and saved data onto iOS7?
They should be pushing updates over the air since they did that with the iOS6 beta after that feature was implemented.

iTunes automatically downloaded 6.1.3 again for me when I restored through DFU mode for testing it.

Yes.

Maximus.

They should be pushing updates over the air since they did that with the iOS6 beta after that feature was implemented.

iTunes automatically downloaded 6.1.3 again for me when I restored through DFU mode for testing it.

Yes.

Oh ok, so when you went into DFU mode, iTunes automatically downloaded to iOS 6 instead of 7?

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Burger

Restoring my iPhone4 back to iOS 6.

7 is fun, but it's too beta and has some pretty annoying bugs (which is all very understandable).

They are going to have to fix the performance for 4 users though, it's quite unusable as it is. It's like running Windows 8 on a 386.

So we still haven't seen or really even heard anything about the iPad versions of iOS 7, have we?

Anybody else holding out hope that the delays are partly due to some attempt to further differentiate it from the iPhone/iPod version of iOS 7?

AndTAR

So we still haven't seen or really even heard anything about the iPad versions of iOS 7, have we?

Anybody else holding out hope that the delays are partly due to some attempt to further differentiate it from the iPhone/iPod version of iOS 7?

That's probably the case, I'm guessing a minature version of what delayed iOS 4 on iPad, like the additional work required for the larger interfaces/etc.

Pretty interested in seeing how it'll get handled specifically, with the new layout optimized for removing screen clutter; iPad never really had space issues on that large screen, so I'm hoping they won't go too minimalistic, removing too many buttons etc.

jediyoshi

Is it only the Clock and Calendar or are there others?

Looks like it, even though by the time you're on the home screen only the calender's icon would be useful :p

I like a lot of the little animations in iOS 7 but I wish they were a bit faster.

Yeah the icons falling into place coming from lock is way too slow. I like the new transition from app -> homescreen with the view minimizing into the app's icon location

ramyeon

I don't understand the need for dynamic icons. The time and date are all over the OS and the weather is displayed in notification center.

LeleSocho

Banned

As for new features:

Any noticeable difference in performance? I would really love it to be responsive and snappy as Snow Leopard

jediyoshi

I don't understand the need for dynamic icons. The time and date are all over the OS and the weather is displayed in notification center.

Pretty liberal definition of "all over" if any of your options require more than a single step. For the date from within the home screen, you've got pulling down nc and switching to the today tab assuming it's automatically top scrolled when you switch to it. Otherwise the only other method I'm guessing is on the lock screen meaning you'd have to lock/unlock just to pull it up. From there, assuming you're charging you have to wait for the charge percentage indicator to pull away for the date to pull back out, and then assuming you were already using your iphone, go through a slide to unlock.

Nero3000

Think bigger.

¬ Like seeing how much is left on your oyster card (London public transport pass)
¬ Latest stock porftolio value
¬ How much data you've used this month

All without having to go into each app.

ramyeon

Pretty liberal definition of "all over" if any of your options require more than a single step. For the date from within the home screen, you've got pulling down nc and switching to the today tab assuming it's automatically top scrolled when you switch to it. Otherwise the only other method I'm guessing is on the lock screen meaning you'd have to lock/unlock just to pull it up. From there, assuming you're charging you have to wait for the charge percentage indicator to pull away for the date to pull back out, and then assuming you were already using your iphone, go through a slide to unlock.
And quitting out of an app to go back to the home screen to check your calendar icon which may or may not be on your first page of icons is easier than pulling down NC how? NC is accessible from anywhere in the OS with a simple swipe so yes, it is all over the place. And the time is always displayed in the top bar. I think you're exaggerating the "difficulty" of finding the date. I for one have never used the icon purposefully to look at the date.
Think bigger.

¬ Like seeing how much is left on your oyster card (London public transport pass)
¬ Latest stock porftolio value
¬ How much data you've used this month

All without having to go into each app.
Of course those sound great, but that would be up to the 3rd party apps to incorporate and to be honest sound like they'd make things look a bit cluttered and would be much better suited to widgets in notification center if that.

That's probably the case, I'm guessing a minature version of what delayed iOS 4 on iPad, like the additional work required for the larger interfaces/etc.

Pretty interested in seeing how it'll get handled specifically, with the new layout optimized for removing screen clutter; iPad never really had space issues on that large screen, so I'm hoping they won't go too minimalistic, removing too many buttons etc.

That's what I'm thinking. The iPad lock screen looks barren enough on iOS 6.

And while I'm fine with the "sea of icons" look for the iPhone home screen, something about it looks really drab on the iPad.

I'm not exactly sure what I want, but I hope something a bit more interesting is in the works for the iPad version of iOS 7.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how Finder in Mavericks could be full screen without looking terrible...?
Anybody got any pics?
When it's full screen does it open a separate full screen window or is it still under Desktop?

Moving an app out of a folder that is on thhe bottom row causes phone to restart. I reverted to iOS6, loved the 24 hours I had running 7 tho.

Jony Ives is a fan of Matias Duarte

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Moving an app out of a folder that is on thhe bottom row causes phone to restart. I reverted to iOS6, loved the 24 hours I had running 7 tho.

Jony Ives is a fan of Matias Duarte

Folders are a bit crash prone in the current seed, yep.

-

The power-down popup/menu looks straight out of Mirror's Edge, I like (can't screenshot it for obvious reasons).

Fuchsdh

If yall Finder tabs right now,

Xtrafinder does it.

So happy not to have to contemplate Finder alternatives. To be honest tabs were never as crucial as I thought they were, once you figured out all the key commands and expose, but this will still be a nice usability tweak (especially the command to collapse all windows into one and the tear out/in effect.

jts

...hate me...
Yep, Finder tabs and tagging sound like a game changer. Can't wait for Mavericks.

btw, speaking about it.

The presentation pretty much stomped any hopes and fears for an OS 11-type-revamp soon right? I am okay with that.

I would think Mavericks will look pretty much as is when the GMs released, might see a couple of UI tweaks. Seems like iOS 7 is a huge time suck right.

I hope the login screen is updated to allow wallpaper or Apple created dynamic wallpaper. The grey looks really bland now they've removed the linen.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I just noticed that selecting items from a list in a dropdown has an insanely more pronounced wheel effect now in iOS 7.

Before it was a very subtle curve, but now it feels more like paging through a rolodex.

Don't know if I like it or not, but just noticed it.

ZeroAKA

I've heard from people that they've been getting noticeably worse battery life with iOS 7, but my iPhone 5 is still at 100% after idling overnight for 8 hours. Is this normal, am I lucky, or is my battery percentage indicator not working properly?

You don't need to register anthing. You can install it on any Mac that will run it.

Top Bottom