• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I forgot to check this out and just played around with this...i was able to set up my iCloud keychain...but can't figure out how to generate passwords or save them.

Will have to check it out later. I know they went over it at the keynote.

Yeah it seemed to hit most of the marks I care about, though I don't know if I'll have a "directory" of my info a la the 1Password app...

Messing with both in tandem seems like it could get messy, too. Wonder if there's any way to move/share/merge data between the two...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Yeah it seemed to hit most of the marks I care about, though I don't know if I'll have a "directory" of my info a la the 1Password app...

Messing with both in tandem seems like it could get messy, too. Wonder if there's any way to move/share/merge data between the two...
Yeah...getting all my passwords OUT of 1Password is going to blow.

Like 250+ of those son-bitchez.

jediyoshi

Testing a custom panorama wallpaper, feature still super buggy

panoo3xst.gif

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I didn't see an answer, but has anyone been mentioning losing their visual voicemail when updating to 7? Mine's gone.

numble

More iBeacon stuff. Pretty ambitious (over-ambitious?)
iAt9Hvjl.jpg

YGiSwJZl.jpg

yeGUqCcl.jpg

CCmBKe8l.jpg

VjiN7iDl.jpg

7FGVUNxl.jpg

Basically, their use case for ranging was that you'd put the beacon by the register, when you are in broad range, pop up stuff about the store (menu, or in a big store, the sales going on in that department) and when you are in very close range, you'll bring up payment processing stuff.

jstripes

Banned
Well, trying to access various characters (type), it looks like they seriously gimped Character Viewer in Mavericks.

WTF is this bullshit? I need access to the full character set!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
iBeacons, with proper support, will be huge.

Also I just got my first battery warning and I realized I'll never have to look at a hideous iOS 1 modal pop up again. This makes me quite happy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It just stops panning in that direction at a certain point. Not sure if it's a hard lock or based on the image dimensions though
So does it know which direction you are facing, or does it center itself when you re-enter the screen? How does it orientate.. orient? How does it orient itself initially?

God I wish I could try it out. But I don't have a disposable device that I don't need to use all the time. Maybe when it gets further into the beta.

lexi

Banned
Also I just got my first battery warning and I realized I'll never have to look at a hideous iOS 1 modal pop up again. This makes me quite happy.

Those hideous warnings have been out of place since at least iPhone OS 3. It wasn't even called iOS then.

Link

The Autumn Wind
iBeacons, with proper support, will be huge.

How do the warnings behave now?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
SunSpider 1.0 JavaScript Benchmark for Safari on iOS7

Code:
============================================
RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
--------------------------------------------
Total:                  851.1ms +/- 1.8%
--------------------------------------------

3d:                   140.4ms +/- 1.3%
    cube:                49.7ms +/- 2.8%
    morph:               39.2ms +/- 3.0%
    raytrace:            51.5ms +/- 2.4%

access:                75.8ms +/- 5.1%
    binary-trees:        13.0ms +/- 20.4%
    fannkuch:            32.8ms +/- 4.3%
    nbody:               20.0ms +/- 3.4%
    nsieve:              10.0ms +/- 6.7%

bitops:                41.7ms +/- 2.9%
    3bit-bits-in-byte:    3.3ms +/- 10.5%
    bits-in-byte:        15.0ms +/- 3.2%
    bitwise-and:          8.9ms +/- 4.6%
    nsieve-bits:         14.5ms +/- 5.8%

controlflow:           10.8ms +/- 6.8%
    recursive:           10.8ms +/- 6.8%

crypto:                73.4ms +/- 3.4%
    aes:                 36.0ms +/- 4.6%
    md5:                 21.4ms +/- 12.1%
    sha1:                16.0ms +/- 10.5%

date:                 112.5ms +/- 6.9%
    format-tofte:        63.3ms +/- 12.2%
    format-xparb:        49.2ms +/- 2.5%

math:                  82.6ms +/- 4.8%
    cordic:              19.0ms +/- 8.5%
    partial-sums:        47.0ms +/- 7.4%
    spectral-norm:       16.6ms +/- 4.6%

regexp:                43.4ms +/- 1.2%
    dna:                 43.4ms +/- 1.2%

string:               270.5ms +/- 1.4%
    base64:              24.8ms +/- 4.7%
    fasta:               53.1ms +/- 2.1%
    tagcloud:            56.4ms +/- 1.2%
    unpack-code:        102.7ms +/- 4.0%
    validate-input:      33.5ms +/- 3.1%

jediyoshi

So does it know which direction you are facing, or does it center itself when you re-enter the screen? How does it orientate.. orient? How does it orient itself initially?

99% sure it orients with the compass. Any panning up and down is probably done by the gyros though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

God I wish I could try it out. But I don't have a disposable device that I don't need to use all the time. Maybe when it gets further into the beta.

It centers back onto the spot which you had on the screen when you applied the wallpaper when the screen is turned off/you go into an app.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/11/subtle-features-details-in-ios-7-and-mavericks/

Lots of little tidbits about Mavericks and iOS 7.

Mavericks has an iCloud folder now that you can just drop files into like a normal folder. I wonder if it can be placed in the Dock? Or if it's robust enough to replace DropBox?

Do Not Disturb on Mavericks can now be scheduled like in iOS. Whoo!

Dictation can have an "offline" mode where it optionally downloads all the data required to do the dictating without an internet connection. I really really hope they offer a similar feature for Siri on iOS to let her understand simple commands that don't need internet like timers and reminders.

In iOS 7, the multitask screen works horizontally! If only the homescreen could rotate too.

Night color mode in Maps. I assume it can be automatic to change at a certain time. My old Garmin switched to night at exactly 6PM and back at 6AM.

When a timer is running, it shows the remaining time on the lock screen.

Some good stuff there I must say. Who knows what else will make it by release?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is a bug actually. :p (it only works if started from a horizontal app). The Homescreen sometimes goes into horizontal mode as well, which is also a bug.
You say bug, I say make it a feature.

Edit: Also, does the super wide panoramic thing work the other way? Like if I have a super tall image instead of a wide one?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You say bug, I say make it a feature.

Edit: Also, does the super wide panoramic thing work the other way? Like if I have a super tall image instead of a wide one?

Apple says. :p
Just wanted to mention it so that it's not surprising if by the time iOS 7 comes out it no longer works that way.

Pachimari

Mavericks has an iCloud folder now that you can just drop files into like a normal folder. I wonder if it can be placed in the Dock? Or if it's robust enough to replace DropBox?

Dictation can have an "offline" mode where it optionally downloads all the data required to do the dictating without an internet connection. I really really hope they offer a similar feature for Siri on iOS to let her understand simple commands that don't need internet like timers and reminders.

In iOS 7, the multitask screen works horizontally! If only the homescreen could rotate too.

Night color mode in Maps. I assume it can be automatic to change at a certain time. My old Garmin switched to night at exactly 6PM and back at 6AM.

I love a lot of things they have in Mavericks so far. I just wiped everything from my computer. Is it worth getting the beta guys?

hirokazu

The router itself costs $200, which I don't find absurd for a bleeding-edge wireless device, with 802.11ac, beamforming, all gigabit ports, crazy range and other advanced functionality. $300 gets you the Time Capsule version, with a 2TB HDD inside, which comes super-handy if it's serving a Mac-dominated environment.

But I do wish these could backup iOS devices as well. Bummer.
The only thing that pisses me off is their insistence on only three LAN ports when basically everyone else does four.

Oh, and that pretty much all ADSL modems on the market are also wireless routers and the ones that aren't are priced as much as the ones that are. I'd much rather be able to get ADSL modems for cheap and hook them up to an AirPort router. They're hands down the most reliable routers I've had to deal with. All the others have ranged from simply an unpleasant experience to pulling my hair out and throwing them against the wall.

Not sure what iCloud folder they're talking about, I see nothing.

is automatic updates optional for apps on ios?

Have too many times where an update bricks an app and/or removes a key feature at request of someone (can't cache videos in mctube etc).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
is automatic updates optional for apps on ios?

Have too many times where an update bricks an app and/or removes a key feature at request of someone (can't cache videos in mctube etc).

Yeah, you can turn it off in Settings.

Can be turned off completely in the Settings, as mentioned, or on a per-app basis which is nice. The latter is not implemented in the current seed however. I am also not sure turning it completely off actually turns it off 100% of the time either at the moment as I have had updates happen with it off myself. :p

hirokazu

Can be turned off completely in the Settings, as mentioned, or on a per-app basis which is nice. The latter is not implemented in the current seed however. I am also not sure turning it completely off actually turns it off 100% of the time either at the moment as I have had updates happen with it off myself. :p
Where is there the option to turn off automatic app updates on a per app basis? Are you confusing this with the background data fetching multitasking feature?

Sullichin

I'm using a panoramic wallpaper of a photo I took in a park, and I cannot read the time on my lockscreen because it's white text on a bright white sky. I thought it was supposed to determine the right colors to use?

Also, is Mavericks stable enough to use? I use my Macbook for work so it's probably not the best idea...

Also, is Mavericks stable enough to use? I use my Macbook for work so it's probably not the best idea...
No. It feels fine for a while, but when it locks up or fucks something up, it does it bad, like Finder just stalling and being unable to Force Quit until you force restart. Unexpected and lengthy beach balls, too.

dmshaposv

panoramic wallpapers dont seem to work for me.

i create them and can preview them just fine, but once i set them i only see a black background. :/

9to5mac notices some changes to icons on the Apple site:

icons.png

Apple has quietly changed some of the icons on its official iOS 7 website, making notable changes to the Weather, Passbook, and Reminders apps. iOS 7′s icons, which have been subject to much scrutiny and disapproval from various designers, have been one of the largest complaints about iOS 7 so far.

The icons, which can currently only be viewed on Apple’s site using a mobile device, most notably show a completely redesigned weather app icon, ditching the clouds and sun found in the current iOS 7 beta, in favor of the live temperature, something users have been waiting for for years.

Phil Schiller previously noted on Twitter that showing live weather on the iOS home screen would “waste battery,” but this is an improvement Apple has been working on for some time.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/14/apple...ons-with-tweaks-to-weather-passbook-and-more/

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Honestly don't need a live clock icon and the current temperature showing all the time... I'll be pretty bummed if I can't turn these off in case it affects the battery in any way.

I think iOS 7 looks pretty cool, but I don't dig the parallax effect either and I can see it getting old fairly quickly. I avoid any sort of "liveliness" in wallpapers no matter the device though, so maybe that's just me.

SuperPac

The worst icons are Safari, Camera, Photos and Game Center. Now that we're a few days into the beta I'm getting used to the rest.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Safari is the only one that is actively visually assaulting on the eyes to me.

Top Bottom