• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

KtSlime

The removal of actual buttons to me seems like the most headdesk idiotic idea in the entire OS. Sorry, it doesn't matter that we've had buttons in computing for decades, they're still useful, especially when you have to actually poke at stuff on your screen to see if they do anything.

At first I thought the same thing about the lack of raised button imagery, however I think as long as they consistently use a secondary color on touchable elements such as icons, buttons, and text, people should be able to get used to it and easily recognize what is and is not interactive when it comes to the UI chrome. I am a bit apprehensive about the fact that the TabBar and ToolBar UI look so alike, but perhaps it won't be an issue for users.

Anything that gives users the feeling that they have more space rather than less without enlarging the actual device is a worthwhile goal, IMO.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Also, any thoughts about swapping control center and multitasking?

Settings access seems to make more sense via button press, and it would alleviate the slide to unlock conflict since accessing multitasking from the lock screen isn't necessary.

EDIT: double tapping home displays playback controls on the lock screen. This would also bring consistency to that between locked/unlocked since control center houses playback controls instead of in multitasking as it is in iOS 6.

I assume that the new Siri is not yet implemented in the iOS 7 beta, correct? Because I'm still getting the old Siri voice.

Also, any thoughts about swapping control center and multitasking?

Settings access seems to make more sense via button press, and it would alleviate the slide to unlock conflict since accessing multitasking from the lock screen isn't necessary.

Wow. Never thought about this that way. Your suggestion would make the OS feel more fluid and natural, from a UX point of view.

mrkgoo

I assume that the new Siri is not yet implemented in the iOS 7 beta, correct? Because I'm still getting the old Siri voice.

Wow. Never thought about this that way. Your suggestion would make the OS feel more fluid and natural, from a UX point of view.
Like slide up, then slide sideways to access other apps.

Hmmm. Maybe.

Aside from existing muscle-memory from users, the thing is multi tasking is a slightly more sort of 'power' user feature. Most normal users don't even know it exists and just go back to the home screen. How much of that is actually BECAUSE its a nondiscoverable feature I don't know.

It's a home button so should take you to a sort of home place or overview.

The sliding from top for notification centre and from bottom for control centre is making stuff a little convoluted, but they are both sort of 'panels' in ive's 'hierarchy'. They are accesses to other things in the OS. Multitasking is sort of a wider overarching thing than that.

Still. Food for thought.

Any information on how much overhaul has been done in system settings? Like less nested scrolling lists? Reorganisation within?

Usage used to be just mobile usage then they rolled in app usage data into there, making it kind of annoying to access stuff because you had to wait for the list to generate.

Also app settings.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Like slide up, then slide sideways to access other apps.

Hmmm. Maybe.

I think he means slide up to access multitasking. Double-tap Home button to get the control center. I think I like that idea way better. It would make switching apps so much more fluid, especially since you likely will be switching apps more often than fiddling with the Control Center. Fixes the lock screen since you wont be able to access multitasking from there anyway.

Any way to suggest this to Apple? haha.

I think he means slide up to access multitasking. Double-tap Home button to get the control center. I think I like that idea way better. It would make switching apps so much more fluid, especially since you likely will be switching apps more often than fiddling with the Control Center. Fixes the lock screen since you wont be able to access multitasking from there anyway.

You can always e-mail Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com)

Sometimes he responds to things.

mrkgoo

Oh I know that's what he means. As in, I agree it would feel more fluid - you slide up to access multitasking then slide across to scroll through apps - like a fluid series of gestures.

My added points were considering the hierarchy. The slide from edges bring up panels from those edges, and are part of the layering. Having this motion be the multitasking might be a bit incongruent with that.

For example, clicking the home button 'zooms' out to your home screen. Double-clicking it 'zooms' out to open apps.

Sliding a panel to reveal multitasking? That would only work if the animation shrinks your current screen back into the multitasking cards. That might work, but note that accidental swipes for notification centre are instant and not as distracting as shrinking your entire screen by accident.

While I like the idea, on deeper thought I think what they have Currently is better for the average user, who might understand a control centre panel more than a multitasking one, and keeping that associated to the more appropriate HOME button and relegated to a more 'power' feature.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On iOS 7 does clicking Home while on page 1 of the homescreen still open Spotlight? And clicking when on another page still takes you to page 1, right?

KtSlime

Haha, you shouldn't propose this idea. People that need to turn off and on their wifi 30 times a day had a hard enough time with a swipe and 2 taps. They might go crazy if you want them to hit the button twice and a tap. :lol

Blackhead

Redarse
Either that's an oversight or they have plans for that command. Now that it's easier to get to Spotlight and was never really needed anyway.

It's harder to get to Spotlight imo. There's no visual indication that it exists and the gesture to bring it up could easily be confused with the notification center. It's hidden as though it's a power user feature.

Marco1

They should let the user customise what clicking the home button does.
Open a certain app, call a certain person or siri dictates the time.

ramyeon

My battery issues with the beta seem to have solved themselves. Been running my phone for the last 21 hours with about 8 hours of usage and still at 26%, which is pretty good in my experience.

numble

h97Yf4il.jpg

https://twitter.com/RichyRich/status/345997099906772993

KtSlime

It's harder to get to Spotlight imo. There's no visual indication that it exists and the gesture to bring it up could easily be confused with the notification center. It's hidden as though it's a power user feature.

Just like all the other apps with search... It's not like non power users knew they could swipe to the left most page for search anyway. No one I have ever encountered even knew it was there unless shown to them.

mrkgoo

Something I look forward to are the navigation gestures.

Long time coming. Contrary to what apple says, the iPhone 5 is Linda terrible to use because the buttons in the bottom left and top left are hard to reach with my left hand while trying to maintain balance of the device.

NYR

If you update to the ios 7 beta, do you lose any data? Is it a fresh install that you need to restore a backup on to get your data back or is it like any OS update and its business as usual?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It'll probably be put back in time. Or they'll have a tutorial page in the "Welcome to iOS" setup. I think they said "People are used to pulling down on pages to refresh or search so they'll be used to it." but I don't think anyone would think to pull down on the Home icons.

ew

Also, why is there a flashlight icon on the iPad?
I was going to ask that. Maybe new iPads might have lights? Or, it's just an oversight since it's a simulator and not the actual OS yet.

Mafro

If you update to the ios 7 beta, do you lose any data? Is it a fresh install that you need to restore a backup on to get your data back or is it like any OS update and its business as usual?
It's just like a normal OS update. Just make sure you do an iOS 6 backup beforehand if/when you want to go back to that OS and don't let that get overwritten by an iOS 7 one as you won't be able to restore from that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I also thought the way the apps stay visible in spotlight until you actually start typing was disorienting.

Wait, the beta for iPad is out?!

EDIT: I'm not going to lie. When I first saw numble's post, I thought he was just posting Android's tablet OS for some reason.

NYR

It's just like a normal OS update. Just make sure you do an iOS 6 backup beforehand if/when you want to go back to that OS and don't let that get overwritten by an iOS 7 one as you won't be able to restore from that.
Thx!!

LCfiner

So... Full screen notification center on the iPad. Yeah, hmm.

Yeah... Those translucencies.

Visually, that iPad beta looks rough.

In iOS 7 music app, how do I rearrange the bottom icons? When I click the edit button and move the icons around everything stays in place, can't figure it out

ramyeon

In iOS 7 music app, how do I rearrange the bottom icons? When I click the edit button and move the icons around everything stays in place, can't figure it out
Probably because it's a beta and not the final version, sounds like a bug to me.

Edit: Just checked and it works fine for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just like all the other apps with search... It's not like non power users knew they could swipe to the left most page for search anyway. No one I have ever encountered even knew it was there unless shown to them.

really? There was a search icon on the homescreen, placed in context with the other dots for pages of apps. I've seen people discover it immediately after I set up their iPad and handed it over for them to explore -- not saying they started using it but they did know it was there...

Maximus.

My battery issues with the beta seem to have solved themselves. Been running my phone for the last 21 hours with about 8 hours of usage and still at 26%, which is pretty good in my experience.

Yea I agree. The OS and battery have definitely gotten better randomly over time! My worries are slipping away since nothing weird has happened!

Burger

Maybe it is a power user feature? I bet Apple has stats on how many people use spotlight and I would assume it's a low number. I've never seen anyone use it, and I never touch the thing. All my searching is done within apps.

"Open in background" has been replaced with "Open in new window" in Safari and I fucking hate it. I hope to God that it's just a beta thing and they put it back by the time it goes public.

It used to suck when you wanted to search for an app while on page 5 or so of the springboard. Once I get used to it the the search will be nice. They should find a way to make it more obvious, though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Maybe it is a power user feature? I bet Apple has stats on how many people use spotlight and I would assume it's a low number. I've never seen anyone use it, and I never touch the thing. All my searching is done within apps.
The only thing I find spotlight to be useful for is searching through texts, and even there it falls woefully short since it doesn't even take me to the specific text I search for, instead to the end of the conversation with that person.

To each his own. I use it all the time. The way I have my iPhone setup I keep the most common apps I use on 1 page and everything else is in a single folder (with help from infinifolder tweak). For me it's easier to swipe over once and start typing the name of an app instead of looking for it somewhere buried in a folder. Also usually quicker for me to find a contact or song by spotlight than going into the app to search.

I think the main reason a lot of people don't use it is they've just gotten in the habit of going straight for the app they need without even thinking about using spotlight, or maybe they are just slow typers

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
"Open in background" has been replaced with "Open in new window" in Safari and I fucking hate it. I hope to God that it's just a beta thing and they put it back by the time it goes public.

Go into your Safari settings and change Open Links to "In Background" rather than "In New Page" then..

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The only thing I find spotlight to be useful for is searching through texts, and even there it falls woefully short since it doesn't even take me to the specific text I search for, instead to the end of the conversation with that person.
Which I believe has been fixed I believe.

I believe.

Top Bottom