• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

LCfiner

If its not working well and causing frustration, it needs to be recorded as a bug or snag or whatever. They can change the hit target sizes.

By far the worst change is the Safari unified search bar. Not because it is unified, that makes sense, but because it is now a search and URL bar, the keyboard pop-up changed and it is AWFUL.

The fact the space bar is so small is terrible, consistantly hitting the ".com" button by mistake.

2.jpg

I cannot stand this.

Broke and got me a new MBA. Just got the base model 11-inch since I'm just going to be using it as an "on the go" computer for light activity.

Actually thinking that this is going to replace my iPad now that iBooks is coming in Mavericks...we'll see.

It fits in my damn iPad bag which is crazy as balls. Only JUST fits, but it fits.

So far so good, my first Air.

The small screen size will take a little getting used to with a full OS experience, but hopefully it won't take me too long to get there.

My 13" Air from last summer has been my favorite computer, ever. You'll enjoy it.

linkboy

what do you mean by this? if you go into the autocorrect settings, you can make custom auto-corrects. i have it so that when i type "zzz" into a message, it auto-corrects it to "hey, what's up?"

Something like this (Bitesms, a jailbreak message replacement)

bitesms.jpg

By far the worst change is the Safari unified search bar. Not because it is unified, that makes sense, but because it is now a search and URL bar, the keyboard pop-up changed and it is AWFUL.

The fact the space bar is so small is terrible, consistantly hitting the ".com" button by mistake.

2.jpg

SO MANY times I've hit .com instead of space in that search bar, poorly designed for sure. No way you can cramp all that in the last line unless they increase phone size

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I installed the Mavericks Developers Version. Is there anyway to revert back? I stupidly forgot to make a backup before hand. Do I have to reformat and reinstall ML?
I'd suggest hopping in your TARDIS and popping back and reminding yourself, but you'd be crossing your own timestream.

So instead I'd say make the backup now but recover all your important files manually. Have you done much changes to anything since installing Mavericks? You might be able to just install over it and not really hurt anything. But if not you'd still have your personal files backed up to cherry pick back.

If you installed the beta I say just stick with it. They'll be releasing new updates often enough that unless something you absolutely need is broken it'll straighten out pretty quickly.

I installed to a USB 3 drive first just to make sure my ability to work wasn't impacted. So far it's been ok short of the Wifi just dropping out every few days requiring a restart.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Worst problem with this beta is that bunch of apps just stopped working. Big name apps even like ebay, google+, Skype, and I'm seeing crashes a lot on Flipboard, and even in Safari every once in a while when copy/pasting text when I'm posting on mobile gaf. It seems like everything that needs some kind of login authentication just crashes.

Also, unified search bar/space/.com keyboard thing is really annoying. They should just remove the stupid .com button altogether. Tons of sites are not .com anyway so it's often fastest to just type site name, have it listed on google, and click the first link.

Jonogunn

Worst problem with this beta is that bunch of apps just stopped working. Big name apps even like ebay, google+, Skype, and I'm seeing crashes a lot on Flipboard, and even in Safari every once in a while while copy/pasting text when I'm posting on mobile gaf. It seems like everything that needs some kind of login authentication just crashes.

Also, unified search bar/space/.com keyboard thing is really annoying. They should just remove the stupid .com button altogether. Tons of sites are not .com anyway so it's often fastest to just type site name, have it listed on google, and click the first link.

This.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Worst problem with this beta is that bunch of apps just stopped working. Big name apps even like ebay, google+, Skype, and I'm seeing crashes a lot on Flipboard, and even in Safari every once in a while while copy/pasting text when I'm posting on mobile gaf. It seems like everything that needs some kind of login authentication just crashes.

Hold the .com button and it gives other extensions. It's a lot quicker.

Well, if you hold it, .net, .org, etc. all show up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also, my personal pet-peeve, the Settings icon looks too busy and amateurish, and frankly, too spiky - like it's some machinery that will cut the tip of your finger off if you touch it.

They were obviously going for some clockwork mechanism, but it just looks off-putting somehow. I wish they'd put the two little switches icon, that you can see when you go into settings, it's the icon for the new control center. That's the kind of settings you do on the phone all the time anyway. The clockwork gear is the skeuomorphism that they were trying to get away from.

Well, if you hold it, .net, .org, etc. all show up.
I actually knew that, but it doesn't have .co.uk (for me at least, it has some other ones probably due to multi-language keyboard). Still, I think selection from that is not really faster than just going the google route, especially when compounded with the number of mistakes it creates due to making space bar so small. Space is *really* small if you have the multi-lingual keyboard support enables, as it adds another icon that switches keyboards and that makes space smaller. I'd definitely disable that .com button altogether if I had the option.

zychi

Banned
That's also literally my situation. Might think about giving the iPad up.

I'm the exact same, except I sold my iPad to fund my new MBA. I dont use iBooks, but Kindle has been available for Mac OSX forever and I absolutely love my new MBA. With 8gb of ram, I get no slow down, and plays WoW and the Steam games I care about.

Tho I still have my PC if I want to really game.

lexi

Banned
I'm the exact same, except I sold my iPad to fund my new MBA. I dont use iBooks, but Kindle has been available for Mac OSX forever and I absolutely love my new MBA. With 8gb of ram, I get no slow down, and plays WoW and the Steam games I care about.

Tho I still have my PC if I want to really game.

The one I ordered has 8gb, too. This will be a beast on Mavericks.

Juice

2.jpg

Yup. I'm shocked they actually made this change. The soft keyboards were so necessarily different. I'm sure I'll get used to it, though.

DarkJC

It was on by default for me. Found out when DFU restoring back to iOS 6, had to enter my Apple ID before it would activate.

I need some help...

I tried reverting back to a previous backup but it didn't restore my apps. I wouldn't mind downloading my apps but there was a SideCar Drive app that's no available on the store (I had to get it from someone) and I'm trying to figure out how to get it back

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I need some help...

I tried reverting back to a previous backup but it didn't restore my apps. I wouldn't mind downloading my apps but there was a SideCar Drive app that's no available on the store (I had to get it from someone) and I'm trying to figure out how to get it back

Do you have a backup of the app on iTunes? That's probably the only way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey, Apple. In Mavericks, can we please get an option to keep the menubar visible on screen in fullscreen mode so it doesn't keep sliding down when I'm trying to close a tab and getting in my way? I've accidentally exited FS mode so many times because that damn blue button slid under my mouse unwantedly. If we had an option to keep the menubar visible and shift the window top down a bit it would prevent this from happening and eliminate any wait time for the menubar to appear when you actually need it. Maybe make it also available as an option to app developers that can let the user choose whether to hide it or not like in apps that are virtual windows to other machines like Parallels or Screen Sharing. (Obviously I wouldn't want my Mac menubar showing up while I'm running Windows. But when I'm in Sublime Text or Chrome I don't want the damn thing showing up unwantedly when I'm just trying to select a tab and I accidentally go too far.)

Alternatively, add a delay to it or make it only show up when you double-bump like how you get the Dock to show up. (i.e. mouse to the bottom of the screen, then keep going.)

mrkgoo

Hey, Apple. In Mavericks, can we please get an option to keep the menubar visible on screen in fullscreen mode so it doesn't keep sliding down when I'm trying to close a tab and getting in my way? I've accidentally exited FS mode so many times because that damn blue button slid under my mouse unwantedly. If we had an option to keep the menubar visible and shift the window top down a bit it would prevent this from happening and eliminate any wait time for the menubar to appear when you actually need it. Maybe make it also available as an option to app developers that can let the user choose whether to hide it or not like in apps that are virtual windows to other machines like Parallels or Screen Sharing. (Obviously I wouldn't want my Mac menubar showing up while I'm running Windows. But when I'm in Sublime Text or Chrome I don't want the damn thing showing up unwantedly when I'm just trying to select a tab and I accidentally go too far.)

Alternatively, add a delay to it or make it only show up when you double-bump like how you get the Dock to show up. (i.e. mouse to the bottom of the screen, then keep going.)

Yes please.

Any of those solutions, be it permanent, or a double bump or delayed or an option would be better.

I mostly just want to see a clock on my full screen :p

But yeah that annoying bouncing around is really distracting sometimes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes please.

Any of those solutions, be it permanent, or a double bump or delayed or an option would be better.

I mostly just want to see a clock on my full screen :p

But yeah that annoying bouncing around is really distracting sometimes.
That too. I have to use a Clock toolbar extension in Chrome in order to see the time. I doubt they'll do this though and that sucks. I'd settle for a third party hack that A) forces the menubar to never hide and B) tricks the app into thinking the screen is 22 pixels less tall than it is so it ends up nesting itself right under the menubar. Would be so much better. Even a delay would suffice. Actually Screen Sharing has a delay I believe. It'll take a few seconds to show the menubar when SS is in fullscreen. No other apps have this delay so I don't know if it's intentional or a bug. But it works. Put in a delay of a half second or more so it doesn't just appear immediately when we make a mistake.

I also wish they'd fix iPhoto's Fullscreen mode to just be the normal interface in fullscreen instead of that gimped black interface they designed before Fullscreen was such a big deal. They designed that for an old generation. It makes iPhoto useless in fullscreen and makes me sad that I can't just get it to look like the normal app when I go fullscreen. Like iTunes. What if iTunes removed a bunch of useful parts of its interface when you put it in fullscreen? Would suck, right? Fullscreen should just be essentially a maximize option for Mac windows. Keep the interface the same. Don't remove widgets and doodads or change the way it works. If you want a "simplified mode" then make it a separate mode.

Oh, and does Mavericks fix the focus problem where switching from a Fullscreen window to the normal Desktop space will keep the app that was previously focused focused? i.e. if I'm in Chrome and I swipe over to my desktop, you'd think Finder would become the frontmost app, right? Nope. For some reason, even though there's no Chrome/Sublime Text/Mail/iTunes/Etc windows open on the desktop it keeps that app frontmost for some reason. This is definitely a bug and I hope it's fixed. The app should never remain frontmost unless it happens to have a focusable window on the desktop space. It's mainly a problem too in that since Chrome and Sublime Text's cursor is usually the "text entry" bar style, when switching to the Desktop, I lose my cursor because it remains the text entry bar and becomes hard to find on my screen until I click to focus the Finder. Fix that shit, Apple! (I hope they already did.)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
How often do these betas get updated, cause I'm kinda...I've made a huge mistake.

Usually a handful of weeks between releases...so not super quickly, typically. That's coming from the iOS side of things.

Not sure how quickly the OSX betas get updated.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Easy solution to the small space bar: get rid of your emoticon keyboard.

I use multiple language keyboards. It would be annoying to get rid of them due to spellcheck :(

I actually really like the way the Mercury browser sets up their keyboard. Apple should mimic them.

Pachimari

How do I install the .ipsw file onto my phone from iTunes? Do I hold down alt/option and click on Update?

And should I restore my jailbroken device before installing iOS 7?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The funny thing about the unified bar and the keyboards is many of us said time and time again the reason the bar wasn't previously unified is because of the different keyboards in each. I think I argued with a friend at work about it once a week.

I welcome the combined bar, but apple could have chosen a more elegant solution :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How do I install the .ipsw file onto my phone from iTunes? Do I hold down alt/option and click on Update?

And should I restore my jailbroken device before installing iOS 7?
Yes do a opt-click restore rather than an update. Otherwise you'll potentially brick the device.

Top Bottom